Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ The Politics Forum

Notices

The Politics Forum Discussions that are wholly or mainly concerned with UK politics

Old 26-05-2019, 09:37 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb 7:4 View Post
Aside from the fact that Labour were as committed to rising it as the Conservatives, this simply isn't true. Since you don't start paying it back to you are working and earning enough, it's made no discernable difference.

In fact more students from less well off backgrounds are going to University in England and Wales than in Scotland, where there are a set number of free places which are primarily gobbled up by middle/upper class kids.

There are arguments against tution fees. The argument that the change from £3k a year to £9k has been some kind of tipping point is not one of them.
We do you think Labour put reducing/removing the fees into their last manifesto and even the Tories are about to recommend a reduction?
Old 26-05-2019, 09:59 PM
Lurker

sirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Swinson vs Davey.

Swinson will get my vote, but happy with either.
Old 26-05-2019, 10:35 PM
Its gonna be a lovely day

Heb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
We do you think Labour put reducing/removing the fees into their last manifesto and even the Tories are about to recommend a reduction?
The same reason the SNP did it. It's a popular with the middle class voters who vote more. It might even be good politics in that sense.

But we've got the data to compare Scotland v England/Wales so we know the actual impact.
Old 26-05-2019, 10:57 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb 7:4 View Post
The same reason the SNP did it. It's a popular with the middle class voters who vote more. It might even be good politics in that sense.

But we've got the data to compare Scotland v England/Wales so we know the actual impact.
So as I said, these high uni fees can be a tipping point in the decision process of some voters. Itís overshadowed by Brexit at the moment (as is everything!), but itís true that both main parties are reconsidering their previous stand on fees.

The whole process is a bit of a farce anyway, because itís clear that so many students will never pay back their fees, for a variety of reasons.
Old 30-05-2019, 09:24 PM
100% behind SP

tasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is here
Given that rumours abound that Lib Dems are about to put into the lead in the popular Westminster vote by a Yougov poll tomorrow, this should attract more interest going forward.

Only Ed Davey has officially confirmed that he is standing, but Jo Swinson is very likely to follow - and she's on QT in 10 minutes.....
"And for the old, Brexit might well rid the country's care homes of Eastern European workers, but no blond blue eyed university graduate is going to come and wipe your arse or listen to your stories of the war you never fought in."

adrenalin john 17/05/9

https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showpost...&postcount=245
Old 30-05-2019, 09:30 PM
Vapour Enthusiast

se1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is here
Swinson now confirmed standing

To view the link you have to Register or Login

I'm sure I saw an internal poll of LD members putting Swinson at 70% vs Davey on 30%
Old 30-05-2019, 10:25 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasty_snacks View Post
Given that rumours abound that Lib Dems are about to put into the lead in the popular Westminster vote by a Yougov poll tomorrow, this should attract more interest going forward.

Only Ed Davey has officially confirmed that he is standing, but Jo Swinson is very likely to follow - and she's on QT in 10 minutes.....
Yes Lib Dem at 24 per cent Vs Brexit at 22, Tories and Labour each on 19
Old 31-05-2019, 08:59 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Location: In a post box in the heart of Mayfair, and at Lloyd's
DANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by se1eagle View Post
Swinson now confirmed standing
Thank you. The BBC now seems to have completely switched to the Americanism 'running', which really gets my back up.
Old 31-05-2019, 09:24 AM

Ifill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIfill Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANGERMOUSE View Post
The public are stupid.
You should not be so hard on yourself or the rest of us.
Old 31-05-2019, 10:21 AM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Boy View Post
Lib dems must be total crap not to be streets ahead of both Lab and Con after the last couple of years.
To view the link you have to Register or Login

SaulAlinsky
Old 31-05-2019, 10:29 AM
Orange Fleecer

SKATE Sam the man is hereSKATE Sam the man is hereSKATE Sam the man is hereSKATE Sam the man is hereSKATE Sam the man is hereSKATE Sam the man is hereSKATE Sam the man is hereSKATE Sam the man is hereSKATE Sam the man is hereSKATE Sam the man is hereSKATE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANGERMOUSE View Post
Thank you. The BBC now seems to have completely switched to the Americanism 'running', which really gets my back up.
Slowly ushering in our new american overlords.

Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream, Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily - life is but a dream!
Old 31-05-2019, 10:44 AM
Crow Counting

FourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is hereFourtyTwo Sam the man is here
Quote:

Good news in one regard, but I saw something though that translated the Yougov poll into MPs, and it had Labour and the Tories both in the 200s, with LDs getting around 80 (and Brexit even less).

I have no idea how that was worked out, whether it was truly representative of the Yougov poll data or just nonsense being spouted to have a dig at FPTP, but we all know voting intentions on a national poll are likely to be skewed when it comes to the actual make up of Parliament.
Old 31-05-2019, 11:57 AM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
The Lib Dem supporters on the BBS (with the honourable exception of Tasty Snacks) seem to be more interested in attacking the Tories, Corbyn and Brexit on other threads with witty posts and short sharp criticisms. It would be interesting to learn of their views on the potential candidates for Liberal leadership. Davey does seem to be quite impressive from my non expert view on this.
Old 31-05-2019, 12:02 PM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
a desperate attempt to get votes...

SaulAlinsky
Old 31-05-2019, 12:56 PM
BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
I don't confess to know much about either candidate but I do like what the Lib Dems stand for. Will probably vote for Davey as he is quite local to me.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:57 AM
100% behind SP

tasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle View Post
The Lib Dem supporters on the BBS (with the honourable exception of Tasty Snacks) seem to be more interested in attacking the Tories, Corbyn and Brexit on other threads with witty posts and short sharp criticisms. It would be interesting to learn of their views on the potential candidates for Liberal leadership. Davey does seem to be quite impressive from my non expert view on this.
Thank you NKE. Though truth be told, I am very happy to highlight the misgivings of all those you mention.

I went to the first hustings this evening in London. Each candidate has a clear pitch.

Ed is very focussed on climate change, and what we can do to overcome that. He emphasised his record in Govt to that end. His policy knowledge, detail, and roadmap to achieving that was very impressive.

Jo's pitch was much more emotive. She sees the battle as one against nationalism and populism, and she gave an impassioned speech as to why liberal people (not just Lib Dems) should stand up to that.

I went in leaning Jo, but am now not so sure.

I'll be at the Gatwick hustings later in June to make my mind up!

If the polls are to believed, I'm voting for the next PM!!
"And for the old, Brexit might well rid the country's care homes of Eastern European workers, but no blond blue eyed university graduate is going to come and wipe your arse or listen to your stories of the war you never fought in."

adrenalin john 17/05/9

https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showpost...&postcount=245
Old 01-06-2019, 08:02 AM
BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Thank you NKE. Though truth be told, I am very happy to highlight the misgivings of all those you mention.

I went to the first hustings this evening in London. Each candidate has a clear pitch.

Ed is very focussed on climate change, and what we can do to overcome that. He emphasised his record in Govt to that end. His policy knowledge, detail, and roadmap to achieving that was very impressive.

Jo's pitch was much more emotive. She sees the battle as one against nationalism and populism, and she gave an impassioned speech as to why liberal people (not just Lib Dems) should stand up to that.

Unfortunately don't have the time to get along but would be interested in your verdict after the Gatwick hastings. At the moment I am very much swayed towards Davey after what you said, but still time for Swinson to swing it. Guessing these will be the only two on the paper.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:24 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Given the two main parties are entrenched (or are about or be) in either nationalism and/or populism, and that’s no good whatsoever for the UK, you would kinda hope that someone who is prepared to counter that would be more popular.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:16 AM

Wycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is here
Quote:

Interesting. Don't know either but from what I saw on QT the other night this this would make sense to what you saw. She didn't impress me at all and i was left thinking what's all the fuss about
Old 01-06-2019, 10:48 AM
Vapour Enthusiast

se1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is here
I think I'll be voting for Swinson, even though on their politics I probably lean more towards Davey's. I just feel she's really likeable and comes across very well - I think the party needs someone like that to take it to the next level.