Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 15-01-2016, 09:44 PM
Keep St George

King William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
Thanks - didn't know about the Nick Hancock part. I'll try and find that.

I've still got several newspapers from that week. What was fascinating is that after The Sun won the bidding to get the interview from Matt Simmonds, every other paper then changed its angle to 'Cantona's a martyr' 'Simmonds is racist.'

I ended up doing a Radio 1 Newsbeat interview and boy did I get stitched up on there. That'll be going in the book.
I was in the public gallery along with a few other palace. Quoted in a few Nationals, got the clippings somewhere
Old 15-01-2016, 10:34 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
As in gallery at court? What was that like? Would love to hear about that. It was funny reading the Sunday papers on the way back from the Forest game 4 days afterwards and opening up a 2 page spread in one of the papers and seeing a number of people I knew off the Holmesdale and from away games all chipping in with comments.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/That-Progra...amme%3F&sr=8-1
Old 16-01-2016, 06:43 AM
Keep St George

King William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Yes the gallery upstairs. Was directly above Andy Cole.... Who from downstairs was beckoning to meet me outside....whilst the hearing was going on
Old 16-01-2016, 08:08 AM
Edenbridge in Exile

Ninjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is here
I like to think that I'm a laid-back, caring & kind person. One of the few things that really gets my blood boiling though is the whole Cantona episode especially the way MUFC spun it and the way the media lapped it up. C****, the lot of them.

I see football rivalries as part of the joy of supporting a club.
My hate for Brighton is Panto villain stuff.
My hate for the Wankers is fuelled by disgust.
Old 16-01-2016, 11:35 AM

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
It certainly sickened me to see him appear in Nike adverts as a martyr,

"HE'S BEEN PUNISHED FOR HIS MISTAKES. NOW IT'S SOMEONE ELSE'S TURN" was one billboard campaign at the time.

Another TV advert I recall was a general one against racism and violence and Cantona saying to the screen 'I know that it is wrong' If you know it's wrong Eric, why the hell did you do it???

And don't forget, his lashing out at Shaw and kicking Simmons was the third or fourth high profile vicious thing he'd done at United. His stamping on a Swindon player's chest was arguably the worst of the lot, given the guy was on the floor

Old 18-01-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King William View Post
Yes the gallery upstairs. Was directly above Andy Cole.... Who from downstairs was beckoning to meet me outside..
What a fine individual Cole was!!

Old 23-01-2016, 12:25 AM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
I always felt Ferguson was the real tosser (gagging Richard Shaw FFS!!) but I'm always happy to hear alternative views. What did Paddy Crerand do?
Blimey how did red nose do that? What a ****.
Old 23-01-2016, 12:27 AM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjas Headband View Post
I like to think that I'm a laid-back, caring & kind person. One of the few things that really gets my blood boiling though is the whole Cantona episode especially the way MUFC spun it and the way the media lapped it up. C****, the lot of them.

I see football rivalries as part of the joy of supporting a club.
My hate for Brighton is Panto villain stuff.
My hate for the Wankers is fuelled by disgust.
Mate for you to post that shows how bad that all was. Bad night with awful consequences . Hated the wankers a bit before that but have detested them ever since.
Old 24-01-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orp pisshead1 View Post
Blimey how did red nose do that? What a ****.
Can't remember the specifics but it was along the lines of him contacting CPFC and requesting Shaw not speak to the media.

The Eastern Eagles article in 1995 about the whole saga covered it very well.

Old 26-01-2016, 08:50 AM

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
When are you planning to release this Cris? I think the last OMP you produced was a special issue for the Sheffield United away game 2003'?
Old 27-01-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspercpfc View Post
When are you planning to release this Cris? I think the last OMP you produced was a special issue for the Sheffield United away game 2003'?
Sort of well remembered. That Sheff Utd game in Feb 2004 was a one off I produced called Eagle Aye - one of things where I had the urge and a few ideas to produce a Palace fanzine with a northern slant in both title and articles. Think of that as a recovered alcoholic who has one final drink just for the taste of it, knowing he's going to lay off the booze thereafter!

Who knows, if this book transforms me into the 21st century Nick Hornby, those 120 issues could collectors items if any still exist.

Only fanzine to bypass staples and come in its own plastic wallet!

Old 27-01-2016, 06:53 PM

As for the release date, I'm certainly looking to get it sorted during the spring

Old 27-01-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Sort of well remembered. That Sheff Utd game in Feb 2004 was a one off I produced called Eagle Aye - one of things where I had the urge and a few ideas to produce a Palace fanzine with a northern slant in both title and articles. Think of that as a recovered alcoholic who has one final drink just for the taste of it, knowing he's going to lay off the booze thereafter!

Who knows, if this book transforms me into the 21st century Nick Hornby, those 120 issues could collectors items if any still exist.

Our Scottish clan would like fanzine Chris though modern day version would have to incl crazy eBay stop offs on way to game.
Old 27-01-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
As for the release date, I'm certainly looking to get it sorted during the spring
Oh March then
Old 27-01-2016, 07:24 PM
Nuclear Member

Selhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is hereSelhurst300 Sam the man is here
Quote:

Kind of remember meeting you at that Sheff Utd game. Memory isn't as good as it used to be.
Old 27-01-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selhurst300 View Post
Kind of remember meeting you at that Sheff Utd game. Memory isn't as good as it used to be.
Are you a friend of beastie? I remember meeting him and he introduced me to a mate.

Ironically that that issue included a pull out poster showing that NEIL WARNOCK was an anagram of COLIN W A NKER to be waved during the game. Something I'd invented when we'd lost there in 2002 in the Cup.

How was I to know he was going to end up being our manager!!??

Old 27-01-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orp pisshead1 View Post
Oh March then
You've given me an idea. I need to aim for March 16th - the 20th anniversary of the ultimate OPH/OMP piss up.

Where we dumped 150 cans in a bin in central London on the way home and I somehow sold 100 mags at half time despite not being to stand. I was propped up against the advertising hoardings and people were good enough to take a copy out of my hand and put the money in my bum bag without me having to do anything.

Up there with the top 5 hangovers I ever had.

Old 28-01-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
You've given me an idea. I need to aim for March 16th - the 20th anniversary of the ultimate OPH/OMP piss up.

Where we dumped 150 cans in a bin in central London on the way home and I somehow sold 100 mags at half time despite not being to stand. I was propped up against the advertising hoardings and people were good enough to take a copy out of my hand and put the money in my bum bag without me having to do anything.

Part n parcel of a OPH away day back then.
Despite being a lot older now a few years ago at Derby ( think 5-0 defeat lol) we got off train around 11.30 and emptied 70+ bottles into the bins and tried to give away the Sainsburys bags for life to some old biddies but they didn't want em so shoved them in bin too( bags not old biddies) much to the amusement of the watching plod then headed to the Brunswick.
Old 28-01-2016, 06:37 PM
Always late for kick-off

3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

Was that Grimsby away? Didn't we leave someone dead to the world in the minibus during the game?

3 beer stops on the way home!!

Old 28-01-2016, 07:31 PM

cranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is here
I look forward to the book. I am sure the it will bring back many memories The titele I suggest is a play on the way in which we were always so near yet so far from survival in the top flight and what I judge to be an aim of the book as I read your piece. Good luck with it. Will the Club sell it or are fanzines still on the outside?
One More Point Insight

Last edited by cranesparkeagle; 28-01-2016 at 07:39 PM.