Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 18-02-2020, 01:38 PM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
St Andrews is a fantastic place. I turned up unannounced and tried to get 18 holes in before going to Carnoustie - they said you can play the new course - i said i ain’t playing no new course. Turned out the New Course was built in 1890!
Old 18-02-2020, 04:43 PM

Spindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva View Post
......... then hang out in a bar with Brexit loving OAPs, . It's not something I enjoy.

isn't that every golf club?
Old 18-02-2020, 05:24 PM

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
Yeah, but you can escape it by going home. In golf 'resorts' you're captive.
Old 19-02-2020, 09:30 AM
Life’s too short for shit

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Planning a St Andews trip this year.

Great place. Bit of a slog getting there but worth it.

Looking at playing Castle and Eden courses in SA and Crail and 3 nights on the bash
Old 19-02-2020, 07:58 PM

Finbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Fair play to Rory, making his feeling on the new World Tour very clear

To view the link you have to Register or Login

12 teams of 4 players doesn’t sound great to me, allegedly Saudi backed which isn’t a surprise
Old 19-02-2020, 08:34 PM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
I watched about half an hour of the final round back nine of that Saudi tournament - i am not fibbing when i say that their were more spectators watching me play a singles match for the club team last season. Understandable i suppose as i I’m better than DJ.
Old 19-02-2020, 09:09 PM

Finbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFinbar : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Do you still love the game GB? I’ve heard of a lot of club pros who just teach and rarely hit a ball, which always struck me as sad
Old 19-02-2020, 10:07 PM
I'm not divorced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finbar View Post
Do you still love the game GB? I’ve heard of a lot of club pros who just teach and rarely hit a ball, which always struck me as sad
Yeah really love the game. Went about 15 years basically playing from memory though as had a business to run and a family. Playing a bit more now again aged 50. I’m hitting it longer and playing better than when i was 25 - but as Sam Snead said “ anyone who says they’re playing better at 50 than 25 wasn’t very good at 25”

I don’t work hard at it though. I should practice more.
Old 19-02-2020, 10:23 PM

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
Would you recommend it as a career?
Old 19-02-2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksop Palace View Post
Planning a St Andews trip this year.

Great place. Bit of a slog getting there but worth it.

Looking at playing Castle and Eden courses in SA and Crail and 3 nights on the bash
I haven't played Castle, but I have the other two. Eden is very quirky. Like most of the courses there, if you play on a calm day then it will be a doddle, but the wind makes it a real test. Balcomie at Crail is much the same.
Old 19-02-2020, 10:36 PM
I'm not divorced

Quote:
Would you recommend it as a career?
Good question. I’ll get back to that.
Old 19-02-2020, 10:50 PM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Quote:
Yeah, but you can escape it by going home. In golf 'resorts' you're captive.
True.

I love a golf trip with friends and clients though, but then it is the places you go and how you go about it.
Old 20-02-2020, 05:36 AM
I'm not divorced

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin john View Post
True.

I love a golf trip with friends and clients though, but then it is the places you go and how you go about it.
Looking from the outside I think you are a bit spoiled in that regard - what famous places did you like best, and which ones were awful? Talking more about the general ambience than the speed of the greens.
Old 20-02-2020, 06:20 AM

That's a great quote, definitely true for me on both counts (at 46, not 50)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Boy View Post
but as Sam Snead said “ anyone who says they’re playing better at 50 than 25 wasn’t very good at 25”
Old 20-02-2020, 05:26 PM

Spindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is here
Well I'm still shit and I was just even shitter at 25.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:31 PM

Playing Woodlake Park, Monmouthshire, in May, my company has a golf society formed for it. 27 holes, £37 with some food, subsidised, so I'm up for that.

Has anybody played it? Is it any good?
Old 03-03-2020, 01:35 PM
Born in South London

gcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
Well I'm still shit and I was just even shitter at 25.
15 years ago I was off 5. Now I'm 12 and struggle to play to it. I'll go with the Lee Trevino quote:
"The older I get the better I used to be".
Old 03-03-2020, 02:26 PM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Boy View Post
Looking from the outside I think you are a bit spoiled in that regard - what famous places did you like best, and which ones were awful? Talking more about the general ambience than the speed of the greens.
Scotland:

St Andrews is good, the old Course Hotel is ugly as **** looking at it but great if you are looking out from it. Dinner upstairs in the R&A Clubhouse is always good, as is the Fish restaurant in Town. There is one other pleasant Hotel in town but can't remember its name. Do not stay at the Fairmont out of town, its like an Asda but without the character.

Loch Lomond is a very good golf course, even better now they have sorted out the drainage. As a private member luxury retreat it is outstanding, from the moment you are picked up at the airport everything is excellent and very well thought through. The locker room, is welcoming and memorable, with 'Big Willy' and institution in his own right. It is modeled on the American style of it being part locker room part social space to have a beer, or game of cards. Food, wine and rooms, spa and lodges all top notch. Loch Lomond is definitely luxury and full of multi-millionaires but its relaxed luxury not stuffy or unfriendly like at say Queenswood in England

Highlands. I am a big fan of Castle Stuart a great set up, wonderful golf course and fun. Accommodation wise there is a couple of cottages on site and the owner (who sadly passed) Mark Parsinen has a house there, staying on course is great, particularly if you order wine in in advance. The feeling of having the place to yourself as the sun sets over the Firth is wonderful..

Dornoch and Nairn are great tracks not far away and there is Skibo, the Carnegie Club which is another high end private members affair. The course there is fine, and I really like the club house but the Castle and member bit is all a bit weird for me. Not a fan, despite the amazing facilities.

Where I do recommend staying around there is Glenmorangie House, it is owned by LVMH (Louis Vuiton Moet Hennessey) it is really for their executives, but it is possible for the public to stay there on certain days of the week. There are probably less than 10 rooms but it is wonderful understated luxury, with your own beach, chef, piped in for dinner, obviously plenty of Scotch and not surprisingly a decent champagne selection.

Back on the West Coast I am also a fan of Macrihanish on Kintyre, both the Dunes and the old Macrahanish are splendid courses one traditional the other plain fun and both set along a splendid beach. The Hotel is more than adequate and its adjoining cottages great fun if you are with friends. From there you can also take a speedyboat across to...

..Troon and Turnberry.Troon is friendly and a classic Links course but am not really a fan of the town. Turnberry is a truly wonderful course, one of the world's best IMHO, and the Hotel is more than adequate, but of course totally overpriced and owned by Trump.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:12 PM

Del Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDel Martian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Twenty years ago, a group of us played some Highland courses. As Adrenalin John says, Royal Dornoch is great; though way up there. We also played Nairn, Moray, Elgin (a little more parkland), Boat of Garten and Grantown-on-Spey. All in a week, no memorable accomodations to speak of but an eventful evening in a pub in Elgin where my friend Gary was sucker-punched from behind. Gary was talking with the guys ex-wife at the bar. The evening ended at the local hospital where we got the low down on this guy; some hot headed Baxter's Soup factory chap.
The nine stitches above Gary's right eye the next day made for some interesting conversation the next day at Elgin GC.
Perhaps, next time, we'll travel in style "AJ mode" and have spas and limos laid out bare before us.
Having said that, these days I do treat myself to some of these luxurys around here on the Oregon Coast and up in BC.
Oddly enough, I'll be visiting my old friend Gary in the summer; he now lives just outside of Marbella and we will get play some golf. He's married now and it's a long way from Elgin!
Old 05-03-2020, 09:56 AM
Watching from Warmington

Big Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is here
Interesting line from McIlroy in pre Bay Hill press work:

Rory McIlroy hopes the threat of a breakaway circuit can be the trigger for a “streamlined” version of existing tours.

McIlroy has been extremely candid with his dismissal of the Premier Golf League proposal, which is seeking to coax the world’s best players from the US PGA and European tours. While the notion remains a long shot that it will come to fruition, he has suggested structural change would be a positive outcome.

“I don’t want to come across as sort of elitist but I think some smaller fields [would help], maybe a few more events with no cuts,” said the world No 1 when considering how the game can be modified. “There’s so many tournaments and there might be an over-saturation in a way. You look at the NFL and they play 18 games a year, 20 games a year max, and people want it all the time.

“I know football’s different than golf and all that, but I think being a golf fan these days can get quite exhausting following so many different tournaments, different tours, all that stuff. So maybe streamlining it a bit might be a good place to start a conversation.”

Its an interesting line - I have thought for a long time that the WGC is not really delivering a set of high quality tournaments one step back from the Majors. There are only 4, one is matchplay, 2 are in the US and only one is outside the Americas. Hardly "World". It would be hugely difficult, but it should be feasible for the PGA and the European Tour and others to come up with a list of, say, 12 tournaments around the world, similar to the ATP Masters events, outside their regular tour schedule that are played with fields of say 64-72 based primarily on world ranking and no cut.

The regular tours and majors go on as normal but income etc from the elite events is fed back into the game. You could also put requirements on Tour members to play a minimum number of regular series events to maintain their card there.

Never going to happen while "Waste Management" or other US companies want high level players at every event, but worth a thought, and maybe the seemingly initially doomed PL of Golf idea may start a push in that direction.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19232019