Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 25-12-2017, 08:29 AM

Polak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pubface View Post
Great pub! Mention for the Ship and shovel over in embankment.
Cracking boozer. Loads of Badger beers. The Harp, which has been mentioned, is also great.

Last edited by Polak; 25-12-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old 25-12-2017, 08:41 AM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspercpfc View Post
special mention for Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese
Yes, love the Sam Smiths pubs, the Red Lion, just off Beak Street another hidden gem.

The coffeehouse also on Beak Street another nice little pub, as is the Argyll by Oxford Circus..

Love Wandsworth common, the Young's pubs round there.

Also most pubs on the Northern line from Clapham South to Tooting Broadway.

I do miss living in London sometimes..
Old 25-12-2017, 08:56 AM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle mart View Post
1 minute away from the PL is the Ship Tavern behind Holborn station in the back alleys to Lincoln's Inn Fields. It's a gem.
Will check that out.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)
Old 25-12-2017, 09:04 AM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
Love the Mitre, but the Louise isnít great and the loos stink.
Must admit I have not been to the Princess Louise for several years. I arranged a pub crawl for my bosses leaving do in July and started at The Blackfriar > Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese > The Knights Templar > Cittie of Yorke > Ye Olde Mitre (first time ever and a real find) > Ye Old Watling > Counting House > The Lamb > Old Kingís Head > The Market Porter.

Old 25-12-2017, 09:15 AM
Banned by Moderators

Kylie_Tracey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKylie_Tracey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKylie_Tracey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKylie_Tracey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKylie_Tracey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKylie_Tracey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKylie_Tracey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKylie_Tracey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKylie_Tracey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKylie_Tracey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKylie_Tracey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
apparently there is a pub in Wapping that is meant to be the oldest in London, I believe it is still there, it drops back onto the river, has anyone ever been? although I have worked in Lonodn on and off during the last twenty odd years in the Marylebone and Mayfair area I never really drunk in many of its pubs as I was mostly working nights and driving.

Last edited by Kylie_Tracey; 25-12-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 25-12-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard View Post
The Old Kings Head down a little alley by London Bridge. Always a good pint of Tribute on tap and a bargain during happy hour (£3.30 a pint).

King's Head Yard, Greater London SE1 1NA
020 7407 1550
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Good prices and Tribute but after a couple of recent visits I have decided this is a bit of a dive. Some odd characters late on in the evening and Iím sure a Millwall pub. Crossed off my pub crawl list.

Old 25-12-2017, 09:49 AM

CK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
I spent far too much time in Woodins.
I've drunk with you in there
Old 25-12-2017, 09:52 AM

CK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad_Burnet View Post
You're supposed to go to the pubs in Spitalfields to sample their breakfasts. I was a bit disappointed when I had one a few months back. I've never got pissed in a pub in Spitalfields/Farringdon though so can't comment on their primary function.
You're mixing it up with Smithfield mate. Spitalfield is off Bishopsgate.
Old 25-12-2017, 11:59 AM

NYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie_Tracey View Post
apparently there is a pub in Wapping that is meant to be the oldest in London, I believe it is still there, it drops back onto the river, has anyone ever been? although I have worked in Lonodn on and off during the last twenty odd years in the Marylebone and Mayfair area I never really drunk in many of its pubs as I was mostly working nights and driving.
Prospect of Whitby - when I lived in Wapping, there were so many good pubs to walk to from my apartment.
Old 25-12-2017, 12:10 PM
Chubby Chops balls drop

redandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEagle View Post
Prospect of Whitby - when I lived in Wapping, there were so many good pubs to walk to from my apartment.
Not the oldest but I used to drink in the captain Kidd

I donít like he olde Cheshire cheese on Fleet Street it was ok 25years ago I donít know why but I find it false and touristy.

The princess Louise is an odd pub itís one that thousands of people know about for no real reason good pub.
"And then when it was all over, a thousand Palace fans stayed on to applaud their side's warm-down and the strains of Glad All Over crashed out across Selhurst. Daft little tune .......brave little team"

Sunday Mail 7/11/2004 after 1-1 with Arsenal
Old 25-12-2017, 12:11 PM

The secret is finding a good olde world pub that is not rammed, sells decent real ale, and not just the bog standard ones, and is less than £4 a pint.

Difficult in London but still doable.

For anyone in Bromley try the Star and Garter. The opening hours are ‘changeable’ but 4 to 5 real ale taps from £3.30 although craft beers, and there are plenty, need a lot more cash. Well they do have 10% plus jobs.

Old 25-12-2017, 12:58 PM

NYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNYEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by redandblue View Post
Not the oldest but I used to drink in the captain Kidd

I donít like he olde Cheshire cheese on Fleet Street it was ok 25years ago I donít know why but I find it false and touristy.

The princess Louise is an odd pub itís one that thousands of people know about for no real reason good pub.
Captain Kidde had a great setting - not my type of pub as I drink lager and they specialized in real ale. Wasn't it a Sam Smith's pub?
Old 25-12-2017, 01:05 PM
Chubby Chops balls drop

redandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is here
Quote:
Captain Kidde had a great setting - not my type of pub as I drink lager and they specialized in real ale. Wasn't it a Sam Smith's pub?
I think so itís oranjaboom larger I think.

We got my ,ate strip down one night and was already to swim across for a £200bet and he was a crap swimmer
"And then when it was all over, a thousand Palace fans stayed on to applaud their side's warm-down and the strains of Glad All Over crashed out across Selhurst. Daft little tune .......brave little team"

Sunday Mail 7/11/2004 after 1-1 with Arsenal
Old 25-12-2017, 01:43 PM

Louis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_who_ru View Post
The secret is finding a good olde world pub that is not rammed, sells decent real ale, and not just the bog standard ones, and is less than £4 a pint.

Difficult in London but still doable
Hard to find pubs that meet those criteria in Central London. You might get a pint for under £4 in The Harp.
Old 25-12-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redandblue View Post
I think so itís oranjaboom larger I think.

We got my ,ate strip down one night and was already to swim across for a £200bet and he was a crap swimmer
Did that after the Man Utd game a few years ago. Had a few friends stay over and we forgot it was a 5:30pm kick-off and set out at the normal time.

Got hammered, ended up in a row with Martin Long, who insisted I was sitting in one of his seats (I wasn't) - he was more hammered than I was.

On the train back to Wapping we got into hassle with Man Utd fans who were happy singing Eric Cantona songs - w@nkers.

Finished up in the Prospect of Whitby where my friend sent his wife a message saying he was about to swim across the Thames. He then climbed down the metal steps and we lost him - he found a path and ended up walking back through the front door of the pub 10 minutes later. His phone had died and his wife spent the rest of the weekend panicking.

What a day.
Old 25-12-2017, 01:58 PM

Nelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is here
Pelton Arms, Greenwich.
Great for live music.

Described by CPFC2010 as a Palace hero.

I will happily neg rep anybody who suggests the Whitehorse is made the away fans end.
Old 25-12-2017, 02:05 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
This is a great thread.

Sad thing is I can never remember the names of boozers clearly anymore.

Mention has been made of small pubs south of St Pancras - some good 'uns there. Haven't been in the Princess Louise for a decade or more. Must have enjoyed a pint or more in the Lamb over 40 years ago and as recently as 5 or 6 years ago. I suspect that the ones dating back 50 years ago in and around Rathbone Street have changed; took my son in the Fitzroy after an away game a few years back and it wasn't the same (though the stairs down to the toilets were even steeper).

Local favourite is The Tiger in Camberwell. Nostalgic as well as I used to go past it in my pram nearly 70 years ago

Last edited by Ruskin Old Boy; 25-12-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 25-12-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskin Old Boy View Post
This is a great thread.

Sad thing is I can never remember the names of boozers clearly anymore.

Mention has been made of small pubs south of St Pancras - some good 'uns there. Haven't been in the Princess Louise for a decade or more. Most have enjoyed a pint or more in the Lamb over 40 years ago and as recently as 5 or 6 years ago. I suspect that the ones dating back 50 years ago in and around Rathbone Street have changed; took my son in the Fitzroy after an away game a few years back and it wasn't the same (though the stairs down to the toilets were even steeper).

Local favourite is The Tiger in Camberwell. Nostalgic as well as I used to go past it in my pram nearly 70 years ago
Used to use the Princess Louise regularly about 30 years ago. Stayed in Holborn recently and walked past it but didn't go in. The Lamb - the one in Leadenhall Market? Was in there a few weeks ago.

Some wonderful pubs have disappeared over the years and others no longer have the same magic.
Old 25-12-2017, 02:15 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Used to use the Princess Louise regularly about 30 years ago. Stayed in Holborn recently and walked past it but didn't go in. The Lamb - the one in Leadenhall Market? Was in there a few weeks ago.

Some wonderful pubs have disappeared over the years and others no longer have the same magic.
The Lamb in Bloomsbury. Still has the snob screens and a tiny beer garden. Was convenient for British Museum and Library workers
Old 25-12-2017, 03:42 PM

Work round the corner. I find elitist, expensive and too bloody dark.. I drink in the Globe over the road in Moorgate.