Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 13-10-2021, 01:21 PM

cantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ View Post
I wish him well. Scored a beauty against Liverpool from about 40 yards.
That was my first ever Palace match - get well soon. scored quite a few goals in 79/80 in the old Div 1.
Old 13-10-2021, 01:31 PM

LuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is here
Paul was such a wholehearted player, ok may be not as talented as brother Martin but someone who gave his all for Palace and as its been mentioned how can we ever forget That thunderbolt.
Dont know what his health issue is, but all the best and get well soon.
Old 13-10-2021, 01:33 PM

AJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantspell View Post
That was my first ever Palace match - get well soon. scored quite a few goals in 79/80 in the old Div 1.
I have a vague recollection that he played at center forward in a cup game against Wrexham at home. I thought he scored but I also think we lost 2-0 but I think I am confusing two games. I am sure he played up front and scored though in what may have been his first game.
Old 13-10-2021, 01:36 PM

CK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet

Last edited by CK; 13-10-2021 at 04:48 PM.
Old 13-10-2021, 01:44 PM
Wrong, no I'm not angry

Spindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Eagle View Post
Hope he gets well soon, I mentioned him in another thread as his grandson is featured in the Guardian 2021 PL young prospects as the chosen one at Brighton -

The ball-playing central midfielder comes from a footballing family and academy staff believe his tactical awareness is born from growing up around the game. His father, Adam, played for Brighton and is now manager along the coast at Worthing FC, while Martin (his great uncle), Paul (his grandad), and Wally (his great grandad), all enjoyed careers as players. Hinshelwood has also played centre-back but given the way he can affect games with his distribution and vision, he is at home in midfield. His understanding of the game belies his years and he has a good range of passing off both feet. “He likes to get forward and get goals, so he’s a bit different to all the other Hinshelwoods,” his dad Adam said in March.

My mistake, it was his grandson who is weed not his son.
Old 13-10-2021, 01:49 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Oh that’s sad to hear.

At 6, he was the first Palace player I ever met and got an autograph from. Still got it! He was at Allders during the summer of 79, doing the sign in of that booklet ‘There and back again.’

I remember it clearly, and as I queued up I suddenly got very nervous as I was about 2 down in the queue from him and started frantically asking my mum, ‘What do I say to him? What do I say.’ I was still asking her when I was next in line and Hinshelwood was right there listening to what I was saying and laughing. I didn’t say anything in the end but was lovely feeling to have got his attention even for a brief few seconds. Man, those boys were gods in my eyes.

Wish him all the very best.

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 13-10-2021, 02:22 PM

LuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is here
Quote:
I have a vague recollection that he played at center forward in a cup game against Wrexham at home. I thought he scored but I also think we lost 2-0 but I think I am confusing two games. I am sure he played up front and scored though in what may have been his first game.
You are right about that game, also he started his career as a Centre Forward if i remember correctly and was then switched to an attacking RB but was someone who could tackle all be it crudely at times
Old 13-10-2021, 02:37 PM

big bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is here
Give it hell Doris. You'll beat it mate.
Old 13-10-2021, 02:46 PM

Philipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPhilipw came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Oh that’s sad to hear.

At 6, he was the first Palace player I ever met and got an autograph from. Still got it! He was at Allders during the summer of 79, doing the sign in of that booklet ‘There and back again.’

I remember it clearly, and as I queued up I suddenly got very nervous as I was about 2 down in the queue from him and started frantically asking my mum, ‘What do I say to him? What do I say.’ I was still asking her when I was next in line and Hinshelwood was right there listening to what I was saying and laughing. I didn’t say anything in the end but was lovely feeling to have got his attention even for a brief few seconds. Man, those boys were gods in my eyes.

Wish him all the very best.
I remember that too - I was naive enough to think he actually worked there in his spare time! May be he did....Wish him all the best
Old 13-10-2021, 02:49 PM

big bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is here
Quote:
Like you say AJ we lost the Wrexham game 0-2. He did score in the cup the following season at Tooting and Mitcham and also in about his second league appearance against Cardiff, both while wearing the number 10.
One of the misconception a lot of supporters (myself included) have about Doris, is that he started out a few games up front then moved to full back and the rest is history.
He actually was well into his fourth season when he was converted to the number two position. Haven't counted them exactly, but he had about 35 games up front for us, before switching to full back, getting his hair permed and turning into the Doris we all loved.

Last edited by big bad John; 13-10-2021 at 02:51 PM.
Old 13-10-2021, 03:11 PM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
Sorry to hear this, hope he gets well soon.

My recollection of him, is that he went from a struggling, not very good striker to a bloody good Right back, almost overnight !
Old 13-10-2021, 03:18 PM
Old School BBS

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Nice bloke, one of those who always had time for the little oils hanging round outside the players lounge.

Get well soon Doris.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 13-10-2021, 03:23 PM

jhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is here
Some have come pretty close, but Paul would be in the starting line-up at right back in my best ever Palace team.

Hope he gets well soon.
Old 13-10-2021, 03:49 PM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
One of the unsung heroes of our club, but a fabulous servant and Palace man for so many games very much in the mould of a Joel Ward for younger Palace fans to use as an example.

He went on to have a very decent career away from Selhurst Park too - at Oxford, Millwall and Colchester, but made the bulk of his appearances for Palace as one of our most dependable right backs in many important seasons with us. Originally a striker (the less said about that, the better!) he really stepped into the role of Peter Wall who was also a hugely important defender for us before Paul and Hinshelwood more than stepped up to the grade.

My particular highlight was when Paul lashed in a goal from over 30 yards into the Whitehorse Lane goal to put us 1-0 up in an FA Cup 3rd Rnd Replay v Liverpool in front of over 42,000 at Selhurst Park, in Jan 1977, whilst Palace were still in Division 3 and Liverpool on their way to many big trophies - we lost 3-2 eventually, after being unlucky not to win at Anfield too - it was a taste that Palace could match the greatest clubs of the time.

Hope Paul recovers, he was part of so many special Palace memories for so many of us.
Old 13-10-2021, 04:03 PM

GanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
It has suddenly struck me that Paul Hinshelwood & Joel Ward are kinda two peas in a pod. Solid, dependable, unglamorous right backs, underrated & sometimes maligned but crucial to the very marrow of their respective teams.

Get well soon, Doris.
Some similarities in that, but also many differences.

Loved watching him play.

Get well soon Doris.
Old 13-10-2021, 05:15 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
I wish him well.

Probably one of the worse debuts ever by a Palace player as a forward... an amazing turn around to his career when he converted to a full back and became not only a great player and servant, but a cult hero.
Old 13-10-2021, 05:25 PM

cranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is here
Sorry to hear., A great servant for us
Old 13-10-2021, 06:03 PM

Garfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGarfy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Many people have different views of what it takes to be a legend. Paul was a much maligned centre forward who turned his career around to become part of one our best ever defences and from memory the meanest for goals against. Always showed tremendous character.
I remember him dropping in to the Railway pub opposite East Croydon (long since gone) with David Swindlehurst when I was studying nearby and I'm guessing he was chilling after training.
Like David Payne and Nicky Chatterton he was a local lad and will always be one of our own. Wishing him a speedy recovery and hoping he can make it back to Palace soon.
Old 13-10-2021, 06:14 PM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
There’s a great photo of Doris after the Burnley game. From recollection, he’s in the bath smoking a cigarette but I could be well wrong.
Old 13-10-2021, 06:19 PM

Spiderman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpiderman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpiderman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpiderman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpiderman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpiderman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpiderman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpiderman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpiderman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpiderman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSpiderman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhc View Post
Some have come pretty close, but Paul would be in the starting line-up at right back in my best ever Palace team.

Hope he gets well soon.
Ahead of AWB?