Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic The Politics Forum

Notices

The Politics Forum Discussions that are wholly or mainly concerned with UK politics

Old 09-09-2019, 07:55 AM
::::::::::::

JAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is here
This sounds like a load of unworkable rubbish
Old 09-09-2019, 08:15 AM
Don't call me Dave

Skintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Assuming you work a 40 hour week, your ratios are wildly wrong.
Carlos is working on whole days rather than hours. Certainly this thread assumes days rather than hours.
In reality it is hours as many people manage to do things in the evenings. If you work an 8hr and assume 8hrs sleep it still gives you 8hrs free on a work day.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:21 AM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
I don't want to work, I want to philosophise
Old 09-09-2019, 08:22 AM
moist

chelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintagain View Post
Carlos is working on whole days rather than hours. Certainly this thread assumes days rather than hours.
In reality it is hours as many people manage to do things in the evenings. If you work an 8hr and assume 8hrs sleep it still gives you 8hrs free on a work day.
If you have zero travel time, no kids to cook for etc etc. I get your point but very few people that work full time have either 8 hours 'free time' or get 8 hours sleep.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:23 AM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
A 4 day week is eminently sensible. I have imposed on the sales force at mine, guess what sales are the same as ever.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:32 AM
moist

chelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin john View Post
A 4 day week is eminently sensible. I have imposed on the sales force at mine, guess what sales are the same as ever.
I work a summer timetable for 11 weeks (this is the last week this year). It means spending 12 hours a week less in the office. I don't have productivity so i can't directly measure my work. I do know that I spend less time less time on here, am able to complete all my work and feel better as i am able to exercise most days, get a good sleep and still do things that I enjoy. All this means I am more switched on, focused and happy.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:50 AM

topper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetopper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
people who have taken the step of 4 day working who are reporting back that the same amount of work gets done are living testament to Parkinson's law, the adage that "work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion"

I've contemplated 4 day working week for a while now, approaching my 50's and really want to kick on with my fitness the extra day of "rest" and reduction is stress from commuting two hours each way and working my ass off are very appealing.
it will come at the cost of 20% drop in salary though.

my view is that it won't be long until universal basic income or we're all killed off by hyper advanced super AI robots and it won't be a problem then....
Old 09-09-2019, 08:54 AM
A gift

CarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelmsfordeagle View Post
If you have zero travel time, no kids to cook for etc etc. I get your point but very few people that work full time have either 8 hours 'free time' or get 8 hours sleep.
Exactly. Before I started working from home, I had a cumulative daily three-hour commute through London. I would also try to go the gym four days a week after work, so wouldn't end up getting home until 7.30-8pm, before a hastily-prepared dinner whilst watching TV and then off to sleep before repeating the cycle. And that's with no missus/kids to think of and luckily not being a person who thinks about work outside of my working hours.

For people that do have those things to contend with, they're basically physically or mentally consumed with work from Sunday evening to Friday afternoon. The only time they can truly unwind is from Friday evening through to Sunday evening.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:02 AM

tsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosTheFinger View Post
Exactly. Before I started working from home, I had a cumulative daily three-hour commute through London. I would also try to go the gym four days a week after work, so wouldn't end up getting home until 7.30-8pm, before a hastily-prepared dinner whilst watching TV and then off to sleep before repeating the cycle. And that's with no missus/kids to think of and luckily not being a person who thinks about work outside of my working hours.

For people that do have those things to contend with, they're basically physically or mentally consumed with work from Sunday evening to Friday afternoon. The only time they can truly unwind is from Friday evening through to Sunday evening.
Even then there isn't the time to actually unwind. You'll take up most of one day doing all the nonsense around the house and one day stressing about palace.

WFH one day a week takes care of the former. The latter is a loss to us all.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:16 AM

macstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is here
Labour...the party of the lazy
Old 09-09-2019, 09:17 AM

tsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Work smarter not harder...
Old 09-09-2019, 09:47 AM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Exactly. Up at 6, walk/run with the dog, shower then an hour and a half commute. Work all day, then an hour and a half commute home. Quickly see my daughter before putting her to bed/doing dinner.
By the time we've eaten dinner, I've realistically got a couple of hours max before repeating the cycle.

We are due a second child, and I am definitely going to explore the options of WFH, even once a fortnight (I'd like to take a day off, but not sure that's affordable).

I can't see how a 4 day week would work for many companies, and would affect a lot of our deadlines etc.

Would one day be set aside for everyone, or would there be a level of flexibility in which days people have?
Old 09-09-2019, 09:59 AM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by macstar View Post
Arbeit Macht Frei?

SaulAlinsky
Old 09-09-2019, 10:30 AM
Behind Enemy Lines.

MFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is hereMFBias Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintagain View Post
What about travel time.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:34 AM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFBias View Post
What about travel time.
Presumably that is a matter of personal choice ; choice where you choose to live, choice where you choose to work, and choice how you choose to get there.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 09-09-2019, 10:47 AM
XXVII

little al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbo View Post
Presnteeism, being in work and not being effective is well documented.

Studies (albeit limited at this point, but well regarded) demonstrate that productivity in 4 days was fairly consistent with a 5 day week due to increased output in those 4 days.

I acknowledge it's early days in terms of the understanding of the effects and it's not necessarily transferable to all indistries, but there's some indication it's workable.
For office staff maybe. Its telling that the busiest time for the BBS is office hours. Do your job instead of sodding around on the internet (not aimed at you personally).

The busiest time on the BBS should be out of office hours, IE in your own unpaid time.

Oh and I am able to post in the day today as I am off work.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Presumably that is a matter of personal choice ; choice where you choose to live, choice where you choose to work, and choice how you choose to get there.
Doesn't always work though. Choosing where to work and where to live may be diametrically opposed as where the industry is based may not be preferable to live (or affordable) and the third part is indicated by the first two.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:48 AM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
Quote:

What if your employer states where you have to live?
Old 09-09-2019, 10:50 AM
XXVII

little al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is herelittle al Sam the man is here
Quote:
I work a summer timetable for 11 weeks (this is the last week this year). It means spending 12 hours a week less in the office. I don't have productivity so i can't directly measure my work. I do know that I spend less time less time on here, am able to complete all my work and feel better as i am able to exercise most days, get a good sleep and still do things that I enjoy. All this means I am more switched on, focused and happy.
Point proven.
How about staying off here altogether and doing what you are paid for.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:52 AM
XXVII

Quote:
Originally Posted by macstar View Post
Ain't that the truth.