Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 19-09-2016, 01:41 PM
Uzi Lover

Boyandy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowBoyandy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowBoyandy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowBoyandy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowBoyandy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowBoyandy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowBoyandy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowBoyandy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowBoyandy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowBoyandy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowBoyandy will cross the room to turn the lights down low
CPU Fan Error

Can anyone offer any advice with a PC problem I'm having please?

I have a PC that I got from Palicomp around 2-3 years ago. Lately on boot up, I've been occasionally getting a warning that says "CPU fan error". When this happens, the PC will make a series of beeps and go straight into the BIOS.

When this happens, the fan speed will initially come up with "n/a", and then soon after (around 5 seconds) come up with a speed reading. Once that happens the PC works fine. I had a look inside yesterday and all seems to be OK. The fan isn't clogged with dust and I made sure that the power cord was plugged in properly.

At the moment it doesn't seem like anything untoward is happening other than the error message - no freezing, no warnings about temperature or anything like that. I obviously don't want to disable the message in case I do have an issue later on. The fan seems to be working fine so I'm not sure buying a new one will solve the problem either.

Can anyone suggest a remedy?
Old 19-09-2016, 01:53 PM

1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here
Many motherboards will have a set of predefined speed/to noise ratio options that control fan speed you can choose between (this is for CPU/PSU/Case fans) - have you tried a different option to see if it happens on next boot up?

Do your temps look ok? CPU should idle in BIOS between 30-45C normally.
Old 19-09-2016, 05:14 PM

1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here
Also, what you could do as a workaround to get more "every day real world temp readings" is disable the BIOS level messages/flags and just measure your temps within Windows itself directly - which is allot more accurate as you will be able to see your temps both idle and under load and also with historical max. I would recommend doing this with Cpuid HWmonitor, have personally used it for years and works well with multiple hardware setups. You just need the basic free version, no need to buy the pro version, here is the link... To view the link you have to Register or Login (just choose the free download on the bottom left)
Old 20-09-2016, 06:21 PM
Uzi Lover

Boyandy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowBoyandy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowBoyandy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowBoyandy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowBoyandy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowBoyandy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowBoyandy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowBoyandy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowBoyandy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowBoyandy will cross the room to turn the lights down lowBoyandy will cross the room to turn the lights down low
Thanks for the advice 1905. Had a look at the temps and they all seem OK (around 29c) so no overheating issues. Changed the fan settings and rebooted. Had another error that said "overclocking failed" (the unit was bought overclocked) so set them back to the defaults that they were before. Touch wood the error hasn't come up again so I guess I might be ok...