Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 24-05-2019, 09:19 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Ronaldo still probably the winner though...

To view the link you have to Register or Login

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 24-05-2019, 01:02 PM
not Chong.....

Cheech would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningCheech would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningCheech would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningCheech would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningCheech would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningCheech would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningCheech would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningCheech would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningCheech would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningCheech would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningCheech would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turning
Yeah the Ronaldo one is bad, especially as it was serious!

The James Corden prank on Beckham & his LA Galaxy statue was pretty good tho!
Old 24-05-2019, 01:22 PM
Dis-Member

Blind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is here

Ernie Wise apparently.
Old 24-05-2019, 02:12 PM
Sans Peur

RDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
I was listening to the radio about the mockery of this latest tribute, and a lady from the Sculpture society rang in quite incandescent, saying bad sculpting has become an epidemic as art schools no longer teach the art of sculpting, so people just pick it up without any formal training and think they can do it, and what we are ending up with is a load of awful sculptures all over the country.

Is this something to worry about, akin to the decreasing bee population?
My grandfather was a sculptor. He won fellowships that, during the 1930s, saw him travel the World to study sculpture, visiting Egypt, Greece, Italy, France and Germany. He learnt from Alexander Carrick, who was one of Scotland's other famed sculptors.

My granddad taught sculpture at Dundee College of Art for years. Dundee College of Art now uses the hall he campaigned and fundraised for as a storage room. It's just not important anymore.

When I see these modern sculptures, they're just terrible eyesores. And typically for characters that just aren't worthy of being cast in stone or metal.

Compare some of the sculptures in this threat to the work my granddad did.

This is the finished article:

And this is him working on it, back in 1950.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg commando_memorial.jpg (96.1 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg DT7giUVXcAAdvhF.jpg (111.0 KB, 172 views)

Last edited by RDSdaEAGLE; 24-05-2019 at 03:04 PM.
Old 24-05-2019, 02:32 PM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSdaEAGLE View Post
My grandfather was a sculptor. He won fellowships that, during the 1930s, saw him travel the World to study sculpture, visiting Egypt, Greece, Italy, France and Germany. He learnt from Alexander Carrick, who was one of Scotland's other famed sculptors.

My granddad taught sculpture at Dundee College of Art for years. Dundee College of Art now uses the hall he campaigned and fundraised for as a storage room. It's just not important anymore.

When I see these modern sculptures, they're just terrible eyesores. And typically for characters that just aren't worthy of being cast in stone or metal.

Compare some of the sculptures in this threat to the work my granddad did.

This is the finished article:

And this is him working on it, back in 1950.

That looks fantastic, you must be very proud.

However you have not told us who it is of, so actually it may be shit

Long shot I know but did your Grandad do the Sir David Stirling statue (founder of the SAS) that stands nr Doune?
Old 24-05-2019, 02:46 PM
Sans Peur

RDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post
That looks fantastic, you must be very proud.

However you have not told us who it is of, so actually it may be shit

Long shot I know but did your Grandad do the Sir David Stirling statue (founder of the SAS) that stands nr Doune?
Haha. Oops.

Scott Sutherland is my granddad. The sculpture I showed is the Commando Memorial in Spean Bridge. He also made the Blackwatch Memorial in Powrie Brae near Dundee.

The Sir David Stirling sculpture is by Angela Conner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (72.0 KB, 169 views)
Old 24-05-2019, 03:20 PM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSdaEAGLE View Post
Haha. Oops.

Scott Sutherland is my granddad. The sculpture I showed is the Commando Memorial in Spean Bridge. He also made the Blackwatch Memorial in Powrie Brae near Dundee.

The Sir David Stirling sculpture is by Angela Conner.
What a talent and such a shame the skill involved does not appear to be in abundance today, given the examples on this thread.

I have passed the David Stirling memorial many times, particularly when I lived in Doune, and kept promising that I should take 5 minutes out and stop and take a closer look, but never have. Often the case that when you have something on your doorstep, that others travel many many miles to see, you end up never visiting as there is always tomorrow.
Old 24-05-2019, 03:35 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Brilliant stuff RDSdaEAGLE. Thanks for sharing such a great story and stunning pictures. You must be very proud. What an exciting experience that must’ve been for him travelling to all those places, honing his craft and being taught by such an esteemed teacher. To put it into perspective, my grandad was a goat herder - and by all accounts, not a very good one at that! .

I was hoping when I started this thread, as humerous as it is, that someone would have greater knowledge on the subject, and the story about Dundee Art college using the old sculpture hall as storage bares out what I heard.

Just wonder how these modern sculptors can look at their work and not realise how uselsss it is. Does nobody around them tell them?

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 24-05-2019, 03:59 PM
Sans Peur

Quote:
Brilliant stuff RDSdaEAGLE. Thanks for sharing such a great story and stunning pictures. You must be very proud. What an exciting experience that must’ve been for him travelling to all those places, honing his craft and being taught by such an esteemed teacher. To put it into perspective, my grandad was a goat herder - and by all accounts, not a very good one at that! .

I was hoping when I started this thread, as humerous as it is, that someone would have greater knowledge on the subject, and the story about Dundee Art college using the old sculpture hall as storage bares out what I heard.

Just wonder how these modern sculptors can look at their work and not realise how uselsss it is. Does nobody around them tell them?
The problem I see is that they can't have looked at the artist's body of work prior to commissioning him or her to do it. That certainly was the case with the Ronaldo bust and seems to be the case with the George Best sculpture, too.

There are great sporting sculptures. Jackie Milburn at Newcastle, Thierry Henry at Arsenal, Tom Finney at Preston and the Bob Stokoe statue at Sunderland are four that I can think of.

Southampton realised the error of their ways when they got rid of the awful one of Ted Bates (made by a lifelong fan) and replaced it with a much better statue.

Old 24-05-2019, 04:33 PM
Eagle in the Borders

Slimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is here
Quote:
That looks fantastic, you must be very proud...
If you ever find yourself in the vicinity of Fort William then you simply must visit the Spean Bridge memorial - it's only about twenty minutes away. Putting to one side the fact that it's a tremendous work of art, more poignantly, it's also a very powerful reminder of WWII.

Many moons ago I posted a photo of it on one of the photographic threads here and to this day it's still up there on the list of photos I'm most proud of.
Old 24-05-2019, 07:38 PM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Location: In a post box in the heart of Mayfair, and at Lloyd's
DANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is here
Quote:

Old 24-05-2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimbloke'H' View Post
If you ever find yourself in the vicinity of Fort William then you simply must visit the Spean Bridge memorial - it's only about twenty minutes away. Putting to one side the fact that it's a tremendous work of art, more poignantly, it's also a very powerful reminder of WWII.

Many moons ago I posted a photo of it on one of the photographic threads here and to this day it's still up there in the list of photos I'm most proud of.
Slim post it on here.
Old 25-05-2019, 11:44 AM
Ex Waddon bloke

Les Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is here
Quote:

Most must have seen the stitch up of Beckham ?

Old 25-05-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Butler View Post
Most must have seen the stitch up of Beckham ?

Old 25-05-2019, 04:51 PM
Eagle in the Borders

Slimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is here
Quote:
Slim post it on here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimbloke'H' View Post
I spent a week up in Scotland earlier this year, and this is one of the better photos I took.

I've not been absolutely happy with the way I edited it originally so I spent this afternoon re-working it. For the record, it is an HDR composite to which I've added about 1/4" either side (my original composition was just a little on the tight side) using several cloning methods.

The B&W conversion was made using Nik Silver Efex Pro.

Commando Memorial