Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Other Sport Ľ World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 06-06-2021, 01:09 PM

cantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is here
I think someone wanted some running stories - mine is I started in my 50s 6 years ago - 1st 5k 25:51 and first 10k 6 months later low 46 mins.

Broke 20 mins for the 5k in race conditions a couple of weeks ago and beat my 10k pb by over a minute yesterday with 41:02.

Plenty of people faster than me on this thread but it does show you can improve over time, so keep at it, don’t give up and there will be disappointing periods as well as good ones.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:35 PM

che12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineche12345 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantspell View Post
I think someone wanted some running stories - mine is I started in my 50s 6 years ago - 1st 5k 25:51 and first 10k 6 months later low 46 mins.

Broke 20 mins for the 5k in race conditions a couple of weeks ago and beat my 10k pb by over a minute yesterday with 41:02.

Plenty of people faster than me on this thread but it does show you can improve over time, so keep at it, donít give up and there will be disappointing periods as well as good ones.
Well done Pete, smashing it at the minute!!
Old 07-06-2021, 05:50 PM

greybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I'm on a mission to do a 20 minute 5k by my 40th (got a year to go) and stories like that definitely help inspire me. I'm close to sub 21 minutes now. Just doing a lot of longer runs as heard they will help. 22km at lunchtime today in the heat. Was really feeling it by kilometre 16 on a course with a fair bit of elevation.

https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-katerina
Old 07-06-2021, 06:02 PM

greybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgreybot came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
Nearly 60 and still managing to run 100+ miles a month, although I no longer time myself. The added bonus of not clockwatching means I can do 10 miles on a Saturday at a pace that suits me and I find the runs more enjoyable, although I still occasionally like to test myself against the clock on a 6k run.
I started running when I was 26 and have had any number of injuries over the years but since I started running at a slower pace it has had the added bonus of less injuries, or so it seems.
I ran today without pace alerts or anything. Just measured the start and finish line before I went out and was pleasantly surprised to find I was close to my usual pace by the end of it.

Definitely more enjoyable

Old 07-06-2021, 10:22 PM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by greybot View Post
I'm on a mission to do a 20 minute 5k by my 40th (got a year to go) and stories like that definitely help inspire me. I'm close to sub 21 minutes now. Just doing a lot of longer runs as heard they will help. 22km at lunchtime today in the heat. Was really feeling it by kilometre 16 on a course with a fair bit of elevation.
Youíll nail it once Park Runs start back up!
Old 08-06-2021, 07:39 AM

immoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Consistent weekly mileage will be the biggest factor. For 20mins I'd expect to be doing around 30mpw or more. 4/5 runs a week. 1 longer run, no more than 50% of the weekly mileage (i.e. 30 mile week, long run should be no more than 15 miles), 1 speed session, 2-3 easy runs.

Easy runs should be run around 8:40-9:30 min/mile or 5:25-6:00 min/km.

Do some extra S&C (squats, deadlifts, lunges) on your speed session day and one other day.

After 8-10 weeks I'd expect you to be close to sub-20 if not under 20. The higher the consistent weekly mileage is the faster it will happen.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:53 AM

cantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by che12345 View Post
Well done Pete, smashing it at the minute!!
cheers Che
Old 08-06-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by immoralgiant View Post
Consistent weekly mileage will be the biggest factor. For 20mins I'd expect to be doing around 30mpw or more. 4/5 runs a week. 1 longer run, no more than 50% of the weekly mileage (i.e. 30 mile week, long run should be no more than 15 miles), 1 speed session, 2-3 easy runs.

Do some extra S&C (squats, deadlifts, lunges) on your speed session day and one other day.

After 8-10 weeks I'd expect you to be close to sub-20 if not under 20. The higher the consistent weekly mileage is the faster it will happen.
For me the consistent extra mileage has helped, because of lockdown, - around 40 miles per week.

Long run this week was 10 miles at 9.38 per mile pace and I've been adding the S&C in. Expect to slow down in the heat too.
Old 08-06-2021, 10:09 AM

immoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Biggest issues I see with most runners are:
* not enough recovery
* easy runs too fast
* no week-on-week consistency in mileage (i.e. week 1: 20 miles, week 2: 45 miles, week 3: 5 miles, week 4: 10 miles)

Get those 3 right and you're golden.

Yoga, stretching, strength and conditioning, nutrition and improving running form are pluses.
Old 08-06-2021, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by immoralgiant View Post

Cheers for the advice..I'm doing 40km a week so prob need to up that a bit. My speed session is trying to run 5k as fast as I can. I know I need to split that up a bit so will try to.

Old 09-06-2021, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Cheers for the advice..I'm doing 40km a week so prob need to up that a bit. My speed session is trying to run 5k as fast as I can. I know I need to split that up a bit so will try to.
Lots of variations you can do for the speed session.

5x 1km with 60 second recovery
8x 800m with 60 second recovery
3x 1.6km with 90 second recovery
10x 400m with 60 second recovery
20min of (2min hard, 1 min easy)
20min of (3min hard, 1 min 30 easy)

20mins of hill sprints with 30/60s recovery or if you have a really long hill (1km+) with 2 min recovery.
Old 09-06-2021, 10:15 AM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
Quote:
For me the consistent extra mileage has helped, because of lockdown, - around 40 miles per week.

Long run this week was 10 miles at 9.38 per mile pace and I've been adding the S&C in. Expect to slow down in the heat too.
Funnily enough, my miles have gone down since lockdown.

I'd usually try and run to work once a week, and would do a run with the dog in the morning and then go out for another one at lunch.

Unfortunately my dogs getting a bit older so can't push her (particularly when it's warmer) and then the mornings are taken up now sorting my kids out for school/childminders etc

And when the kids couldn't go to school it was hard to be working for the whole day and then go off on a run at lunch.
Old 09-06-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
Funnily enough, my miles have gone down since lockdown.

I'd usually try and run to work once a week, and would do a run with the dog in the morning and then go out for another one at lunch.

Unfortunately my dogs getting a bit older so can't push her (particularly when it's warmer) and then the mornings are taken up now sorting my kids out for school/childminders etc

And when the kids couldn't go to school it was hard to be working for the whole day and then go off on a run at lunch.
I'm lucky Tomo, girls have now grown up and have been doing a lot of my runs at lunchtime to break up the working from home day.
Old 09-06-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I'm lucky Tomo, girls have now grown up and have been doing a lot of my runs at lunchtime to break up the working from home day.
I do get out at lunches but I used to prefer getting out in the morning, which is currently much harder.
My boy is 15 months, and my girl has just turned 5. So if they're about they're craving attention!

Anyway, did a 7k at lunch today with 130m of climbing on the downs, so I'll take that.
Old 11-06-2021, 03:16 PM

In Wales for the weekend. Managed a couple 10k trail runs so far but they are tough as very hilly. Will go into Cardiff tomorrow and run the park near the castle as much flatter there.

Old 11-06-2021, 03:43 PM

Quote:
In Wales for the weekend. Managed a couple 10k trail runs so far but they are tough as very hilly. Will go into Cardiff tomorrow and run the park near the castle as much flatter there.
You'll find it a lot easier in your local area when you're back
Old 11-06-2021, 03:50 PM

eagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is here
Quote:
Great training. Adjust your effort relatively, then maybe for example try and go up a hill at an even pace, then easy down the other side. Trail will also inadvertently strengthen your ankles and in turn work other part of your calf muscles. It's gives your muscles that you work on flat tarmac/pavement a nice little breather. It's hard, but gets easier, you'll learn to love it eventually.
Old 11-06-2021, 04:11 PM

Cheers. It's definitely not for beginners as I run regularly and find it a whole different ball game. Beautiful scenery when you do get top of a climb however so worth it in many ways

Nice run to end of Penarth Pier this morning for some sea air before running back into the hills again.

Old 17-06-2021, 06:02 AM

ob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Finally managed a 5k at under 25 minutes and under 8min/mile pace on my pre work run yesterday. Slow compared to many and cant even imagine ever doing under 20mins mentioned earlier but seems a real personal achievement to me.
Old 17-06-2021, 06:41 AM
Millsie02

Shipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob13 View Post
Finally managed a 5k at under 25 minutes and under 8min/mile pace on my pre work run yesterday. Slow compared to many and cant even imagine ever doing under 20mins mentioned earlier but seems a real personal achievement to me.
I've been working hard to get to under 30 minutes! With an aim of eventually getting to under 27.5.

Then again I have been carrying too much weight which has slowed me down.