Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Other Sport World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 17-07-2019, 08:43 PM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Ashes 2019

BRING IT ON.

Should be a good one.

1st Test - Edgbaston, 1st Aug
2nd Test - Lord's, 14th Aug
3rd Test - Headingley, 22nd Aug
4th Test - Old Trafford, 4th Sep
5th Test - Oval, 12th Sep

Current betting
Eng - 8/11
Aus - 7/4
Draw - 6/1

Last edited by Olympian2; 18-07-2019 at 05:40 AM.
Old 17-07-2019, 09:04 PM
Call me Ishmael

ebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is here
I have tix at Headingley for the 2nd day. And the 5th.......

Quite like opening at Edgbaston. If the Aussies thought the booing was bad at the WC.......
Old 17-07-2019, 09:06 PM
Call me Ishmael

ebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is here
Have to say, very very excited about this series.

Shame about the football in between! Wife wont be seeing me for a while
Old 17-07-2019, 09:25 PM
Got any nuts?

Wolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is here
I’d like to go for one day... just to boo Warner and Smith.

Cricket wanker.
Old 17-07-2019, 10:18 PM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfnipplechips View Post
Id like to go for one day... just to boo Warner and Smith.
Id like to go for five days...just to boo Warner and Smith
Old 17-07-2019, 10:36 PM

cappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is here
Would be lovely if they showed the Lords Test free to air
Old 18-07-2019, 06:51 AM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
Current betting
Eng - 8/11
Aus - 7/4
Draw - 6/1
Have the odds changed because we won the WC and the demolition job we did on the Aussies in the semis ?
I know about home advantage and all that, but see the Aussies as favourites.
They have the 2 *****, I mean cheats returning and their bowling attack is quality.
Just hope Roy can adjust to test cricket quickly because whoever plays, the top 3 bats look weak, especially if Stark, carries on his WC form. I can see us being 2 or 3 early wickets down a lot - Root should really bat No 3.
In saying that, it s/b a close series and so the odds on a drawn series, look attractive !!
But believe it or not, I don't think an Ashes series, has finished level since 1972
Old 18-07-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden Eagle View Post
Have the odds changed because we won the WC and the demolition job we did on the Aussies in the semis ?
I know about home advantage and all that, but see the Aussies as favourites.
They have the 2 *****, I mean cheats returning and their bowling attack is quality.
Just hope Roy can adjust to test cricket quickly because whoever plays, the top 3 bats look weak, especially if Stark, carries on his WC form. I can see us being 2 or 3 early wickets down a lot - Root should really bat No 3.
In saying that, it s/b a close series and so the odds on a drawn series, look attractive !!
But believe it or not, I don't think an Ashes series, has finished level since 1972
No, the odds are largely unaffected by the WC. Of course, the odds are partly based on the value of bets placed to date as well as the objective chance of winning. The odds of England winning the football World Cup are always artificially short because of the blind loyalty we have for our team.

I don't think the Australian batting line-up is that solid either. They're also struggling for a red-ball opener. Warner & Smith haven't played Test match cricket for a while although there's no denying their class.

I agree there is value in Aus at 7/4 but the series is being played in England with the Duke ball. Injuries will be crucial - if Anderson misses 2 or more Tests, we may struggle.

I suspect the draw is so long because it's a 5 (i.e. an odd number) game series & there are so few Test match draws these days - rain provides the best chance of one.
Old 18-07-2019, 07:37 AM
Call me Ishmael

Last 9 series, only once has the away side won. Whether being over earlier this time makes a difference, who knows.
Old 18-07-2019, 09:04 AM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
Top work Lymps..

I posted on another thread, but my best XI currently would be

Roy
Burns
Bairstow
Root (C)
Stokes
Buttler (wkt)
Woakes
Ali
Broad
Archer
Anderson

If all fit!
Old 18-07-2019, 09:08 AM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
I was having a conversation with Razor, I'm actually quietly confident!

Following Sunday's high, a get together at Burton

A proper competitive fixture against the Irish, who will be champing at the bit..

I used to criticise the stuffed shirts brigade of old, but with the whole country in the crest of a wave, we're ticking over nicely..

I'm fully aware that if it all comes crashing down then it's all my fault
Old 18-07-2019, 09:10 AM
Keeping The Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfnipplechips View Post
Id like to go for one day... just to boo Stokes.
EFA
Old 18-07-2019, 09:17 AM

Selhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is here
What's more important to your average engerland cricket fan; the world cup or the ashes?

Genuine question.
Old 18-07-2019, 09:19 AM
Keeping The Faith

For me, Ashes, just!

That said, Champagne super over, will live long in the memory
Old 18-07-2019, 09:19 AM
BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selhurst Celtic View Post
What's more important to your average engerland cricket fan; the world cup or the ashes?

Genuine question.
Generally the Ashes I would say. But getting the monkey off the back of never having won the World Cup I can understand why it was a bit of a priority.
Old 18-07-2019, 09:23 AM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Location: Between Jamaica and St Maarten but Sutton for the summer
Timbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is here
Quote:

Genuine question.
Neither, compared to beating Ireland in the next fixture

Hopefully the Irish team will also give England some tips on professional grade Potato Rolling as well
Old 18-07-2019, 09:26 AM
Call me Ishmael

Fine question SC.

Ashes just......but something incredibly special about the WC.
Old 18-07-2019, 09:26 AM

Palace Kebab came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Kebab came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Kebab came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Kebab came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Kebab came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Kebab came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Kebab came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Kebab came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Kebab came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Kebab came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Kebab came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

Genuine question.
Traditionalist v modernist. As a traditionalist, I love test matches and would say the Ashes.

As per the recent comments of Ashley Giles, there is no reason why we cannot prioritise both forms.
Old 18-07-2019, 09:40 AM

Selhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
Neither, compared to beating Ireland in the next fixture

Hopefully the Irish team will also give England some tips on professional grade Potato Rolling as well
The 'pig carrying' dig was the funniest line from that other post, dear Timbo.

I assume that the Irish team will aim for Morgan's head when he's in bat, or is it not like that?

Last edited by Selhurst Celtic; 18-07-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 18-07-2019, 09:40 AM
red and blue army

PalaceSi Sam the man is herePalaceSi Sam the man is herePalaceSi Sam the man is herePalaceSi Sam the man is herePalaceSi Sam the man is herePalaceSi Sam the man is herePalaceSi Sam the man is herePalaceSi Sam the man is herePalaceSi Sam the man is herePalaceSi Sam the man is herePalaceSi Sam the man is here
Quote:

Genuine question.
I have to say the way Cricket is going the World Cup is going to become the biggest thing in Cricket.

They really need to create a formula where test cricket can become a meaningful competition because outside of the Ashes there is limited interest and the longer game is finding it hard to compete with the sheer excitement and drama of the shorter formats.

Money talks and the viewing public want to watch one day cricket, England winning the world cup hasn't helped either as its fuelled interest in the shorter format. At county level Surrey sell out the Oval for a T20 and its empty for a 4 day game.

I see more and more players only wanting the play the short game and certain countries virtually giving up on the longer game. Test matches in empty stadiums are doing nothing for anyone for example in the Carribbean when the short game has produced so much quality cricket.

Of course the Ashes is the Ashes and that rivalry will continue forever probably as a unique contest but its significance too will be under pressure.

The question is, is the longer game worth saving? Perhaps it'd be better to let it wain and let the shorter game be the future?