Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 10-05-2020, 03:47 PM

Jamie W : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJamie W : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJamie W : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJamie W : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJamie W : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJamie W : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJamie W : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJamie W : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJamie W : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJamie W : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJamie W : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
New router advice needed.

Is there anyone on here who has a good understanding of routers and home wi fi set ups and can give me some advice on a new router to get to replace my virgin hub 3. Iíve only used the virgin hub 3 and Iím struggling to get wi fi on the 1st floor! Reading online the hub 3 has so many negative reviews and replacing it seems to improve the wi fi coverage and general performance of the broadband. Does anyone have any recommendations? I know there are lots of systems mesh systems etc and different set ups that are confusing so Iím after any recommendations. I was looking at the NETGEAR nighthawk but again any help will be appreciated.
Old 11-05-2020, 01:02 PM
Binned by Muderators

Brett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is here
Won't be able to provide too much help as I'm too busy at the moment but I'd recommend Unifi gear. It won't be the fastest gear available because they don't cheat speed tests but it is enterprise-grade and solid AF.

Like you, I'm lumbered with Virgin but I'm using the hub in modem mode. I've got an Apple Airport Extreme set up to do routing* which is connected to a cheapo unmanaged Netgear switch. I've to a Unifi UAP-AC-Pro connected to the switched via a POE injector (temporarily perched between two doorways with the Cat6 cable tacked away to stop the dogs pulling it over).

So the Unifi UAP (or access point) is providing the wireless coverage to the whole house which is hardwired to the main router via the switch. It is outstanding. When the builders have finished putting an upstairs in, I'll tidy it all up and upgrade to router and switch to Unifi gear.

*understanding the difference between routers and access points is key here. My Airport Extreme has wireless access point functionality and for many years it was really good; wireless is now switched off and handled by the Unifi access point whilst the Airport handles the routing. A wireless all-in-router does it all but as always will never be as good as dedicated components (think of the old hi-fi comparisons).

If you want something a bit easier to manage, I'm sure someone else will be along to recommend the best all-in-ones. Frankly even a medium range all-in-one would be better than the dogshit VM have you given us.
Old 11-05-2020, 01:49 PM
Its gonna be a lovely day

Heb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is here
Brett sounds like he knows far more about these kind of things than me, but for what itís worth I got my parents a nightgear R8000p for their virgin hub (as like you the signal barely went off the ground floor) and it was a piece of piss to set up and great signal everywhere now.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:16 PM
Lead Worshipper

Chillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
If you want something a bit easier to manage, I'm sure someone else will be along to recommend the best all-in-ones. Frankly even a medium range all-in-one would be better than the dogshit VM have you given us.
Which explains why my VM hub 3 wifi is rubbish in my house. I'll be switching from VM (have to anyway), when we move.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:48 PM
Binned by Muderators

Brett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillo View Post
Which explains why my VM hub 3 wifi is rubbish in my house. I'll be switching from VM (have to anyway), when we move.
In their wisdom, VM decided to write and install their own firmware on the Netgear box. They can barely do their main job which is dumb pipe comms data; quite why they thought they could write better firmware for Netgear boxes than Netgear is beyond me. See also the shambles they have made of Tivo.

Anyway, net result is your Supergub 3 is way less powerful than the actual hardware could be.

Last edited by Brett; 11-05-2020 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:26 PM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
previously our BT hub reached 70% of the house, so we got a Unifi WAP wired through to the hub which worked a treat.

The Bt hub is now proving less than useful on the other 70% and the unifi hub is by far the most secure / reliable section of wifi in the house. Almost tempted to just put more of these unifi things in as they work so well.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 14-05-2020, 09:57 PM

speagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Won't be able to provide too much help as I'm too busy at the moment but I'd recommend Unifi gear. It won't be the fastest gear available because they don't cheat speed tests but it is enterprise-grade and solid AF.

Like you, I'm lumbered with Virgin but I'm using the hub in modem mode. I've got an Apple Airport Extreme set up to do routing* which is connected to a cheapo unmanaged Netgear switch. I've to a Unifi UAP-AC-Pro connected to the switched via a POE injector (temporarily perched between two doorways with the Cat6 cable tacked away to stop the dogs pulling it over).

So the Unifi UAP (or access point) is providing the wireless coverage to the whole house which is hardwired to the main router via the switch. It is outstanding. When the builders have finished putting an upstairs in, I'll tidy it all up and upgrade to router and switch to Unifi gear.

*understanding the difference between routers and access points is key here. My Airport Extreme has wireless access point functionality and for many years it was really good; wireless is now switched off and handled by the Unifi access point whilst the Airport handles the routing. A wireless all-in-router does it all but as always will never be as good as dedicated components (think of the old hi-fi comparisons).

Been a while since I used these but if they still have Zero Handover turn it off. Complete ball ache.
Old 15-05-2020, 12:00 PM
Binned by Muderators

Thanks for the tip. Looks like is was deprecated several years ago, before my AP was manufactured.

Cannot argue with the stability so far. My Airport Extreme was needing a reboot daily as were devices on the network; had this bugger for a fortnight now and not needed to reboot anything.
Old 15-05-2020, 12:38 PM
Slimy member

Conger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineConger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineConger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineConger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineConger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineConger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineConger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineConger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineConger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineConger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineConger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie W View Post
Is there anyone on here who has a good understanding of routers and home wi fi set ups and can give me some advice on a new router to get to replace my virgin hub 3. Iíve only used the virgin hub 3 and Iím struggling to get wi fi on the 1st floor! Reading online the hub 3 has so many negative reviews and replacing it seems to improve the wi fi coverage and general performance of the broadband. Does anyone have any recommendations? I know there are lots of systems mesh systems etc and different set ups that are confusing so Iím after any recommendations. I was looking at the NETGEAR nighthawk but again any help will be appreciated.
I did exactly this last week - Nighthawk easy to set up, superhub 3 in modem mode. Not had a drop-out since, far more reliable. I recommend.
Old 27-05-2020, 02:05 PM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
right chaps i require assistance I have a vintage technicolor TG582n modem/router as supplied by BE (who got folded into Sky) on an ADSL connection. With us all being at home (6 of us) am getting fed up with having to do multiple resets but seeing as i am running the original firmware i should consider myself lucky its working at all. I have tp link powerline adapters all over the house to take the load off wifi too. and a netgear wifi extender. I also found i had s sky hub (model SR102) but frankly that doesnt look to be much of an improvement if any on the Technicolor. therefore i was thinking in investing in a cheap adsl modem router any recccomendations?

Having had a look i should prob upgrade to a combined phone/broadband package of the main players BT is surprisingly competitive. of the smaller suppliers Zen is highly thought of

SaulAlinsky

Last edited by weltklasse; 27-05-2020 at 05:10 PM.
Old 31-05-2020, 07:13 AM
CANDUB

Pidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is herePidster Sam the man is here
I am with VM and had all sort of connectivity/coverage problems. I eventually bit the bullet and stuck the router into modem mode and bought a Google Nest Mesh set up. Easy to set up and stable. I had spent £££s on Devolo, various wi-fi extenders which are all now redundant. It’s not the cheapest option, but has made working from home a lot less fraught. If only VM’s infrastructure could be sorted.

Last edited by Pidster; 31-05-2020 at 07:15 AM.