Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 30-05-2020, 10:39 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
It’s a great record. I also like the acoustic one that came out four or five years later, mostly covers.
Old 30-05-2020, 10:50 PM
Wrong, no I'm not angry

Spindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is here
I reckon my list will be a bit different

Mike McCready - Pearl Jam. Crazy long and shredded live solos
J Mascis - Dinosaur Jr. Heavily distorted free flowing long scaled melodic natural solos
Billy Corgan - Smashing Pumpkins. He just makes it wail, some awesome pinch harmonics and sustain on some of those tunes
Tom Morello - RATM, Audioslave. Original and dynamic sound
Matt Bellamy - Muse. I'm not even into Muse but I just think he has so much talent, he can play anything on any guitar whilst sliding on his knees.

Obviously this is a personal list. If it were best ever players it would be different.

Last edited by Spindle; 30-05-2020 at 10:55 PM.
Old 30-05-2020, 10:56 PM
Wrong, no I'm not angry

Spindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltklasse View Post
Kris Dollimore
Del Bartle
William Reid
Josh Homme
Wayne Kramer
Jimi Hendrix
Carlos Santana
Ritchie Havens
J Mascis
Sterling Morrison
and so many more
Nice. Another fan. He's no singer but great tunes. Seen them live, small sell out gigs
Old 31-05-2020, 04:17 AM
C. Palace 1 Oxford U. 0

hughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is here
In no particular order (and trying to avoid some the most obvious), here's some listening:
Kenny Wayne Shepherd (soulful blues)
Warner Hodges and Link Wray (rock n roll)
Steve Cropper (the sound STAX up)
John Lee Hooker with Carlos Santana (boogie blues)
Bo Diddley (rhythm plus)
Django Reinherdt (two finger freakout)
Kaki King (incredible fretting from above the neck)
Orianthi (goddess)
Gary Clark Jr (12 bar)
Sister Rosetta Tharpe (Godmother of rock n roll)

If you wish to follow a football club based on their success then you could not view yourself as a supporter ... you are merely a customer. - Mat ov CPFC.

Don't let anybody make you think that God chose America as his divine messianic force to be a sort of policeman of the whole world. God has a way of standing before the nations with judgement and it seems to me that I can hear God saying to America, "You are too arrogant." - Martin Luther King
Old 31-05-2020, 06:29 AM
Balding Eagle

Palace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
JJ Cale

For me simply the best guitarist I have heard. Quiet, modest and unassuming yet an inspiration to the likes of Clapton and Knopfler.

Never tire of his music and talent.
Old 31-05-2020, 11:12 AM
Old School BBS

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Wilko

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 31-05-2020, 11:35 AM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
Wilko
Yep. On my list. The most frenetic performer I've seen. Absolutely unique style.
Stupidity is one of the best live albums ever.
Old 31-05-2020, 02:17 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
Yep. On my list. The most frenetic performer I've seen. Absolutely unique style.
Stupidity is one of the best live albums ever.
Definitely. I saw him about three years ago and he is still just as frenetic. Terrific band with Norman Watt Roy on bass (probably the best bass player I have seen in concert) and Dylan Howe on percussion.
Old 31-05-2020, 02:30 PM

Panther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
For the more folk-oriented and off the top of my head:
Richard Thompson
Bruce Cockburn
Martin Simpson
Martin Carthy
Doc Watson
Old 31-05-2020, 03:22 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther View Post
For the more folk-oriented and off the top of my head:
Richard Thompson
Bruce Cockburn
Martin Simpson
Martin Carthy
Doc Watson
Blimey, no Davy Graham or Bert Jansch in that list?
Old 31-05-2020, 03:22 PM
Life’s too short for shit

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Mark Knopfler

Gary Moore
Old 31-05-2020, 08:14 PM

Panther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
Blimey, no Davy Graham or Bert Jansch in that list?
Beat me to it. Forgot the great Bert Jansch, so drop Doc, but while acknowledging DG as an innovator, I’ve never really liked his music. I might come up with other names if I give it a bit more thought. Leo Kottke and John Fahey come to mind but they wouldn’t make the top five. Never really cared for Renbourn or Nick Drake.

Last edited by Panther; 31-05-2020 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:52 AM
Pass me the Vongole

Don-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Late to this as well, but off the top of my head and in no particular order

Albert Collins
Prince
Jimi
Peter Green
Ernest Ranglin
Taj Mahal

If I may....

Old 01-06-2020, 11:08 AM
Pass me the Vongole

Don-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Hughff - You just cannot listen to that Hooker Boogie Blues Jam without the biggest smile on your face

Thanks for that
Old 01-06-2020, 11:31 AM
Pushing The Sky Away

crystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Geez this is hard

Deniz Tek
Peter Buck
John McGeough
Cap
Hendrix
Jack White
Albert Collins
Joey from the Pixies
Lee Ranaldo
Mick Taylor

Will no doubt think of 10 more 5 minutes after I post.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:01 PM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaljim View Post
Geez this is hard

Deniz Tek
Peter Buck
John McGeough
Cap
Hendrix
Jack White
Albert Collins
Joey from Pixies
Lee Ranaldo
Mick Taylor

Will no doubt think of 10 more 5 minutes after I post.
EFA.

Sorry Jim, whenever I see anyone write ‘the Pixies’, I have a Pavlovian dog reaction to correct it
Old 01-06-2020, 01:15 PM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
i do like a bit of dick dale...link wray etc too.

SaulAlinsky
Old 01-06-2020, 04:19 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltklasse View Post
i do like a bit of dick dale...link wray etc too.
And Jack Nietzsche?
Old 03-06-2020, 08:00 AM
Probationary User

BovrilDan sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkBovrilDan sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkBovrilDan sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkBovrilDan sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkBovrilDan sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkBovrilDan sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkBovrilDan sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkBovrilDan sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkBovrilDan sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkBovrilDan sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkBovrilDan sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark
Nils Lofgren
Mark Knopfler
Lindsay Buckingham
Dave Gilmore
Tom Morello
Old 03-06-2020, 08:35 AM

david sylvian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavid sylvian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavid sylvian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavid sylvian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavid sylvian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavid sylvian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavid sylvian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavid sylvian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavid sylvian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavid sylvian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdavid sylvian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Maurice Deebank from Felt.