Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ The Politics Forum

Notices

The Politics Forum Discussions that are wholly or mainly concerned with UK politics

Old 16-06-2019, 09:45 AM
Lead Worshipper

Chillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
I'm not bothered about him coming in to the Lib Dems. I do question his integrity about not calling a by election though. If he is so insistent the community vote based on the individual rather than the party then I'm not sure what he is worried about.

The trouble is so many people are so staunch towards a party they literally would vote for them no matter what. My Nan was like that, I remember the 92 election (I think!), where she was so insistent she was voting Labour no matter what, because she always had.
Trouble is that with our FPTP voting system, unless there's a significant personal vote, the chances are that no incumbant who changes alliegance stands m,uch of a chance in an individual by-election.

Your second point demonstrates why.
Old 16-06-2019, 10:16 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpalace View Post
Understood. Reckon they are just milking it from a PR point of view. They want to be seen as the party of reasonableness. The party that will welcome traditional Labour or conservative voters into their fold if they want to remain/re-join the EU.

Refusing chukka would have been a PR disaster from this perspective.
I agree they shouldn't have refused him, but I think the PR milking is a mistake.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 16-06-2019, 05:10 PM

GJN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGJN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGJN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGJN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGJN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGJN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGJN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGJN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGJN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGJN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGJN came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Will he face his electorate before the GE? That would appear consistent with calling for a second referendum to establish if the people have changed their minds on Brexit?
Old 16-06-2019, 10:55 PM
rusty body, strong engine

stamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is here
I’m not that bothered about Chuka, I’m more interested to know if the electorate will get to have their say on the next loon elected by the Tory members to be PM.
Old 17-06-2019, 08:31 AM
chubby browns joke writer

strolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford triumph View Post
Iím not that bothered about Chuka, Iím more interested to know if the electorate will get to have their say on the next loon elected by the Tory members to be PM.
Well considering Labour members choose their leader and are by no means without their own fair share of loons, I'm
not sure your point is valid . Do you want to choose the next prime minister for a party you have no interest in ? I know i don't. The electorate will vote accordingly at a general election anyway so it makes no difference whatsoever . Ultimately whoever wins this will be judged by the country and not Tory members . You, me, and everyone else can have our approval/disapproval voiced then.

I'm not perfect i'm Palace, which is like perfect... plus awesome !
Old 17-06-2019, 08:42 AM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford triumph View Post
Iím not that bothered about Chuka, Iím more interested to know if the electorate will get to have their say on the next loon elected by the Tory members to be PM.
Labour replaced Blair with Gordon Brown, who served for 3 years before losing a General Election.

I suspect whoever becomes the next Conservative Leader, and therefore PM, will face a General Election and the public vote far sooner than that.
Old 17-06-2019, 11:48 AM

Skin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkin Up came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I imagine Kate Hoey will not want to give her CLP the satisfaction of deselecting her so will defect to the Brexit Party and go for a 'grim oop norf' pro leave Labour safe seat that is held by a remain MP (and she'll probably win it) if Chukka doesn't fancy his chances of retaining Streatham then he might aim for that seat...Vauxhall I think, it would be very pro remain given its location I reckon (just checked 78% remain vote in the 16' ref).

Problem with being a LD MP there are very few safe seats, just a handful in carrot crunching areas that long termers will have sewed up.
Old 17-06-2019, 11:59 AM

Hpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skin Up View Post
I imagine Kate Hoey will not want to give her CLP the satisfaction of deselecting her so will defect to the Brexit Party and go for a 'grim oop norf' pro leave Labour safe seat that is held by a remain MP (and she'll probably win it) if Chukka doesn't fancy his chances of retaining Streatham then he might aim for that seat...Vauxhall I think, it would be very pro remain given its location I reckon (just checked 78% remain vote in the 16' ref).

Problem with being a LD MP there are very few safe seats, just a handful in carrot crunching areas that long termers will have sewed up.
Would be a better fit in the DUP
Old 17-06-2019, 12:00 PM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skin Up View Post

His current seat is about 80% remain too but people have mentioned him being moved to Cable's seat
Old 17-06-2019, 12:01 PM
Wasn't me

Oisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Labour replaced Blair with Gordon Brown, who served for 3 years before losing a General Election.

I suspect whoever becomes the next Conservative Leader, and therefore PM, will face a General Election and the public vote far sooner than that.
At least Labour had a majority and this was before the fixed term Parliament Act. I don't think that a new PM or an MP changing party should automatically trigger an election. That's not how our democracy works. But it will be extremely questionable that the new PM the Tories appoint will have a true majority to enact legislation. They'll be another zombie PM held in "power" by the DUP. If a PM can't legislate before the fixed term Parliament Act there would be an election.

I also think May's behaviour in clinging on has set a precedent that is damaging. In the UK up until now if you can't pass your key legislation you lose your job. Basically the principles of our democracy are being undermined by the Conservative Parliamentary party with the help of the DUP. I know people don't care about our constitution in the post Brexit vote world but it does matter
Old 17-06-2019, 12:01 PM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpalace View Post
Would be a better fit in the DUP
Dont tell Chuka there's a party he hasn't tried yet!
Old 17-06-2019, 09:08 PM
No Self Control

catty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcatty came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quite pleased, I might go to conference now.
Old 17-06-2019, 09:38 PM
100% behind SP

tasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reps AJ View Post
His current seat is about 80% remain too but people have mentioned him being moved to Cable's seat
That's not how the Lib Dems work. Candidates don't just get parachuted in. There's an open and transparent application process outside of by elections and snap GEs, then a full hustings at which local members - and local members only - vote for the candidates.

If Chuka wants to stand in a strong Lib Dem seat (if such a thing exists), he'll have to win over the local members. In somewhere like Twickenham, there are plenty of long term local candidates who have been building networks amongst local members for years, and that might be very hard to break through, regardless of who you are.
"And for the old, Brexit might well rid the country's care homes of Eastern European workers, but no blond blue eyed university graduate is going to come and wipe your arse or listen to your stories of the war you never fought in."

adrenalin john 17/05/19

https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showpost...&postcount=245
Old 17-06-2019, 09:46 PM
Hadron Collider

in-exile has disabled reputation
Guy is finished!
Old 17-06-2019, 09:49 PM
Make things happen

furzy85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefurzy85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefurzy85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefurzy85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefurzy85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefurzy85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefurzy85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefurzy85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefurzy85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefurzy85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefurzy85 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasty_snacks View Post
That's not how the Lib Dems work. Candidates don't just get parachuted in. There's an open and transparent application process outside of by elections and snap GEs, then a full hustings at which local members - and local members only - vote for the candidates.

If Chuka wants to stand in a strong Lib Dem seat (if such a thing exists), he'll have to win over the local members. In somewhere like Twickenham, there are plenty of long term local candidates who have been building networks amongst local members for years, and that might be very hard to break through, regardless of who you are.
and not a safe lib seat either - vince lost it at the previous attempt and only got back in at May's snap election.