Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 02-10-2019, 09:18 AM

Hpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
I don't want to sound cynical, but when did we ever refuse to trade with a country on moral grounds? Saudi Arabia is a whole other level, we're selling them arms to bomb civilians in the Yemen.
Did we refuse to deal with the apartheid US in the 50s? Did the US impose trade sanctions on Nazi Germany?
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 02-10-2019, 09:46 AM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
I anticipate a less restrictive moral code, post Brexit. We'll be free - FREE - to sell arms - yea, even unto North Korea.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:25 AM

Louis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
Have you read anything about the First and Second East Turkestan Republics? Very depressing indeed.
A struggle for independence, with wars and massacres on both sides. Seems pretty violent -

In the 1930s, the Chinese government were the Nationalists (pre-communist), so violence associated with this predates the Chinese communist government, and is more about China in general.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:25 AM

Louis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLouis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltklasse View Post
And your point is ... ?
Old 02-10-2019, 03:05 PM
Quicker than the human I

hong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
But if Chinese or HK police violence is wrong, so is HK protesters violence
Key being that HKPF are effectively immune from their crimes whilst ordinary HK folk know many will go to prison. Should we just give up and accept fascist repression? [I see Adlerhorst make the same point]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skin Up View Post
The police have completely lost control of the situation and this is more likely to make Beijing send in reinforcements from the mainland.
CCP has created a paramilitary junta by stealth. 10+ years recruiting mainland immigrants loyal to CCP to the HKPF. Training all done with CCP PAP. The executive has openly admitted it does not control the police. Strong suspicions mainland PAP and PLA already dressed as riot police. We’re already there in all but name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
The protests hadn't been violent until the police (China) upped the anti. I can find no logic in blaming the protesters. China is led by a vile, merciless, cynical and corrupt totalitarian regime. We simply should not be trading with them. But they are a power, like the Saudis, and the stench of hypocrisy and fear is overpowering .
Correct on all points Stella.

Last edited by hong_kong_hg; 02-10-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:07 PM
Quicker than the human I

hong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
the global PR for PRCís big day has been utterly ruined. I mean Chian want to celebrate Chinaís newfound power and might, and someone visualises that by having a state actor shoot a member of the public for refusing to not protest, (which is probably a pretty accurate visualisation but doesnít mean China isnít going to be seriously seriously pissed).
Correct. All the international headlines focused on an HK kid getting shot, usurping the big news CCP spent years prepping to get all over the front pages
Old 02-10-2019, 03:12 PM
Quicker than the human I

Quote:
The regime survives because of the social contract that they have with the people. If the regime provides stability and increased living standards then the (mainland) people are happy to have increasingly reduced rights and mainland Chinese with the obvious exception of Uighers and Tibetians don't consider themselves oppressed, I think to understand it you have to look at the complete shit show that was Chinese history from 1840-1978 has resulted in a craving for stability and a control freak mentality, there's no mainland youth movement that will ever do what is happening in HK unless...unless the CPC ever fails in living up to their end of the contract in which case what will happen in every mainland city will make HK look like a picnic in comparison, CPC is well aware of this, that's why all that surplus housing got built, why they stockpile massive reserves of pork and rice, they are preparing for the day their luck runs out.
Top bombing Neil.
Mainland Chinese are mostly either fanatical zealots, materially rich or happy to ignore the bad stuff.
In HK the CCP cannot grasp the reality that the social contract does not stand up, if they're lucky 25% fall into the above categories, 75% don't and want them out or at a safe arm's length. They have busily played the Mao/totalitarian playbook in HK but it hasn't worked, and can't. They assumed that fear and repression would cow enough into making this go away, and in doing so lost every last person who really didn't care that much into the "CCP out" camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltklasse View Post
it wasn't just student protesting in 1989 what freaked the powers out was workers and local citizens joining in too... now in HK the protesters also have support of some citizens...
Polls consistently put citizen support for protests at 75%+ (and growing).

This has become very much like Brexit, where the rhetoric of the strong-arm side has pushed everyone to take one side or the other, and no matter what "my" side does it's not as bad as the other side is now the firmly entrenched mentality.

Last edited by hong_kong_hg; 02-10-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:20 PM
Quicker than the human I

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
I don't want to sound cynical, but when did we ever refuse to trade with a country on moral grounds? Saudi Arabia is a whole other level, we're selling them arms to bomb civilians in the Yemen.
Did we refuse to deal with the apartheid US in the 50s? Did the US impose trade sanctions on Nazi Germany?
Quite. Hence why the US, Britain and almost all the world has fallen over themselves to ignore Xinjiang, massive HR abuses, creeping imperialism, CCP paid students and spies at Confucius institutes & universities everywhere, CCP funded infrastructure all over the world etc. etc. as long as the $$$ kept flowing.

The CCP machine is beginning to falter, symbolised by Xi's inability to control the narrative in HK ruining his big anniversary day. Countries are beginning to wake up to the fact that unwinding from China is a good thing to do for the long term, as the $$$ lure becomes less persuasive.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:25 PM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Quote:
The regime survives because of the social contract that they have with the people. If the regime provides stability and increased living standards then the (mainland) people are happy to have increasingly reduced rights and mainland Chinese with the obvious exception of Uighers and Tibetians don't consider themselves oppressed, I think to understand it you have to look at the complete shit show that was Chinese history from 1840-1978 has resulted in a craving for stability and a control freak mentality, there's no mainland youth movement that will ever do what is happening in HK unless...unless the CPC ever fails in living up to their end of the contract in which case what will happen in every mainland city will make HK look like a picnic in comparison, CPC is well aware of this, that's why all that surplus housing got built, why they stockpile massive reserves of pork and rice, they are preparing for the day their luck runs out.
2 points

a) I am not sure mainland Han Chinese have reduced rights, they may be repressed and controlled but they always have been under the CCP and are less now than say in the 70s or 80s

b) Student movement of 89 was pretty brave and forward facing. And it wasn't just in Beijing but other cities too.

I was in Lanzhou and then Chengdu during the crackdown in 1989. Lanzhou was all resolved peacefully Chengdhu full on fighting, far more so than Beijing.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:26 PM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
Have you read anything about the First and Second East Turkestan Republics? Very depressing indeed.
Am utterly ignorant, thanks for the pointer, will try and read up
Old 02-10-2019, 03:29 PM
Quicker than the human I

The shooting of the kid (who is 18 not 15 as first reported) happened near where I live, and we've had mass student sit ins and a 20K+ protest in Tsuen Wan this evening. It appears thought that plod has most of its officers on a day off as they've been nowhere to be seen.

For me though this reporter yesterday having his arm viciously broken despite posing no threat whatsoever is more shocking and symptomatic of how low the HKPF have fallen into criminality, as there is no element of self-defence at all unlike the shooting. This is pretty horrific, and surely qualifies as torture under UN/international definitions. And if they're doing this on camera, then not hard to extrapolate that some of the widespread reports of brutality, torture, rape and even murder in custody have credence.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:59 PM

wont upload, user error
Old 02-10-2019, 04:34 PM

Hpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by hong_kong_hg View Post
The shooting of the kid (who is 18 not 15 as first reported) happened near where I live, and we've had mass student sit ins and a 20K+ protest in Tsuen Wan this evening. It appears thought that plod has most of its officers on a day off as they've been nowhere to be seen.

For me though this reporter yesterday having his arm viciously broken despite posing no threat whatsoever is more shocking and symptomatic of how low the HKPF have fallen into criminality, as there is no element of self-defence at all unlike the shooting. This is pretty horrific, and surely qualifies as torture under UN/international definitions. And if they're doing this on camera, then not hard to extrapolate that some of the widespread reports of brutality, torture, rape and even murder in custody have credence.

Had already watched the first link. Not sure what possessed me to watch the second as I knew it would be sickening. You have to be such a **** to go home to the wife and when she asks "how was work" reply "tremendous; I managed to break a kid's arm who was cowering on the floor in the phoetal position. I did it for no apparent reason other than I could".
Old 02-10-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:

Shocking.

Given the level of journalists, along with protestors with cameras and camera phones that take video I can only assume Officers must have been assured of immunity against prosecution.

Meaning Law and Order have ceased
Old 02-10-2019, 07:18 PM

rhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is here
Quote:
I think the early 90s being when China's economic rise started to change the lives of ordinary people made it easier for people to bury Tiananmen to the back of their minds and state controlled media probably didn't hurt.
I reckon the oppression and brutality following Tiananmen helped more for people to bury it to the back of their minds more so than any economic rise.

A good gauge of how much the rest of the world cares can probably be seen in the amount of response the 30 year anniversary thread got.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:34 PM

rhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is here
One thing I don't understand is why the protesters are targeting the MTR stations. I know that it has been the scene for some hideous state sponsored attacks. But surely having it operable will help them mobilise the protests easier?
Old 05-10-2019, 05:56 AM

Skin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino_mik View Post
One thing I don't understand is why the protesters are targeting the MTR stations. I know that it has been the scene for some hideous state sponsored attacks. But surely having it operable will help them mobilise the protests easier?
Old 05-10-2019, 08:05 AM

The Wise Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldThe Wise Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldThe Wise Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldThe Wise Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldThe Wise Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldThe Wise Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldThe Wise Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldThe Wise Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldThe Wise Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldThe Wise Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldThe Wise Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the world
Events leading to shooting of Hong Kong protester...changed my perspective on the whole shooting incident..

Also take a look at this other shooting incident ....it is no wonder why the police are shooting

Off-duty cop attacked by mob

Quote:

Old 05-10-2019, 09:38 AM

SA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is hereSA Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wise Eagle View Post
Events leading to shooting of Hong Kong protester...changed my perspective on the whole shooting incident..

Are you seriously claiming that shooting someone in the chest with a live bullet from close range was the proportionate and reasonable response to that sequence of events?
Old 05-10-2019, 09:53 AM
Once More Into The Fray

Joe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Eagle View Post
Are you seriously claiming that shooting someone in the chest with a live bullet from close range was the proportionate and reasonable response to that sequence of events?

I dunno. If a group of people were intent on beating the shit out of me with sticks and poles it wouldnít seem unreasonable. But Iím not a trained Police officer.