Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 03-06-2020, 10:58 AM
100% behind SP

tasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogilvy View Post
I’d take him in a heart beat, not because he is a good manager but because it would be the start of a new chapter. I love Roy, but it has always been a bit of a babysitting role. It was a great excuse for us to stand still and survive, after the FdB debacle. SD would want a bi more control, funds and have our targets thinking 2 or 3 years not just this seasons dog fight. He would be the best we could realistically get and probably wouldn’t be either the type that would get poached by the big 10 clubs, or one that has a one foot in retirement.
If this happens, we can finally start a new chapter.
FdB was a new chapter, wasn't he?

TBH I find this succession planning all a bit of a non-sense. New managers come in, and they either tank and are sacked, or are brilliant and move on to a bigger club. It's vanishingly rare for managers to stay at clubs for any prolonged period, and hens teeth category for them to do so whilst overseeing genuine and sustained improvement. So why bother planning at all?
"And for the old, Brexit might well rid the country's care homes of Eastern European workers, but no blond blue eyed university graduate is going to come and wipe your arse or listen to your stories of the war you never fought in."

adrenalin john 17/05/19

https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showpost...&postcount=245
Old 03-06-2020, 01:35 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasty_snacks View Post

TBH I find this succession planning all a bit of a non-sense. New managers come in, and they either tank and are sacked, or are brilliant and move on to a bigger club. It's vanishingly rare for managers to stay at clubs for any prolonged period, and hens teeth category for them to do so whilst overseeing genuine and sustained improvement. So why bother planning at all?
Planning managers works for bigger clubs, Man City had been waiting for Guardiola for about 5 years before they actually hired him. But clubs like ours who can get dragged into relegation scraps with one bad run of form, you have point.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:36 PM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogilvy View Post
I’d take him in a heart beat, not because he is a good manager but because it would be the start of a new chapter. I love Roy, but it has always been a bit of a babysitting role. It was a great excuse for us to stand still and survive, after the FdB debacle. SD would want a bi more control, funds and have our targets thinking 2 or 3 years not just this seasons dog fight. He would be the best we could realistically get and probably wouldn’t be either the type that would get poached by the big 10 clubs, or one that has a one foot in retirement.
If this happens, we can finally start a new chapter.
Why do you see it as a babysitting role? Not many managers last 3 seasons now anyway. Any time we are finishing mid-table in the Premier League is a successful season for us.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:54 PM
Tunbridge Wells Massive

Dobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is here
If this thread is going to continue, could a mod please correct the spelling of his name up top please. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:05 AM

Ogilvy Sam the man is hereOgilvy Sam the man is hereOgilvy Sam the man is hereOgilvy Sam the man is hereOgilvy Sam the man is hereOgilvy Sam the man is hereOgilvy Sam the man is hereOgilvy Sam the man is hereOgilvy Sam the man is hereOgilvy Sam the man is hereOgilvy Sam the man is here
Lots of surprisingly fair comments to my post and giving this is turning into a civil debate, my views below;

Fair comment regards SD diversity however I think that could be a Burnley thing not a personal one. Anyone who comes to South London and our proud heritage regards the academy I would hope in this day and age does not look at skin colour or any prejudices.

Babysitting is my lazy word for a manager that is not invested in. We have never invested in Roy. We have used Pullis, Sam and him in recent years to keep our snout in the trough. If we were looking at Dyche in December / January I would put him in same bracket, a big payday to rally the troops we have and a couple of panic buys. To identify someone now, while we are relatively stable I think show progress no matter who the target is. Succession planning.

FdB was a gamble that went horribly wrong, BUT if it had gone well, we would have lost him very quickly to a bigger club. I think SD has been around long enough to know that a sudden great season, won’t turn his head and that a Liverpool or spurs won’t come knocking.

Lastly he has a decent job, so if we were to get him (or someone like him) he will want to break some of our bad habits. He would want and expect us to be run like a proper team, that any DoF was entirely in tune with him. That sales were planned for and budgets set and ring-fenced.

If Roy was 10 years younger, we would be in a great place, but his not. This was a marriage of convenience for both parties. He has been let down by under investment and whilst he has great dignity he used us to rebuild his dented reputation. We used him to get us to safety and stay there fairly comfortably. There were points THIS season that he took abusive, times when his job was under threat.

Just for once in our lives wouldn’t it be great to actually celebrate a managers achievements and give him the well deserved retirement send off. An ex manager who has a seat for life at his local club, watching from the stands and helping behind the scenes .

SD might not be the answer, but neither is Roy.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:07 AM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
As much as Dyche is a competent manager I think he is inferior to Roy and usually loses to him
Old 04-06-2020, 08:22 PM

hulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethulkster came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanee Pawnee View Post
I’d have to question the fact that Burnley have no (aaron lennons very rare appearances) black players. I love all our players regardless of colour, creed, race.
But think it odd that in this day an age Burnley are whiter than white!
He doesn’t like black players.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:12 PM

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP-RJW View Post
Planning managers works for bigger clubs, Man City had been waiting for Guardiola for about 5 years before they actually hired him. But clubs like ours who can get dragged into relegation scraps with one bad run of form, you have point.
Equally, if a manager does really well then a bigger club will just take them, eg Pocchetino and Koeman nabbed from Southampton.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:54 PM
Selhurst Heaven

chrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbo View Post
If this thread is going to continue, could a mod please correct the spelling of his name up top please. Thanks.

But then post 27 wouldn’t work.
Old 10-06-2020, 07:02 AM

chateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasty_snacks View Post

So this Hodgson fellow, is he any good?

A lot of us (including me) thought he would be shite.

We are miserable sinners.
Old 20-06-2020, 06:52 AM
No authority but yourself

philsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is here
I bet dyche is gutted about the BLM logo on the shirts.
Old 20-06-2020, 07:17 AM
Hadron Collider

in-exile has disabled reputation
Ginger people cannot be racist ... only white English people .... after Brexit he will be sent straight back to Gingerland!
Old 22-06-2020, 09:09 PM

Seanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSeanee Pawnee came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by philsick View Post
Espesh after tonites little story...

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Really don't want him here tbh
Old 22-06-2020, 09:53 PM
Millsie02

Shipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by philsick View Post
Grow up.

In memory of mum, anyone who has some spare change to support Ovarian Cancer Action:

Ovarian Cancer Action Fundraising
Old 22-06-2020, 09:54 PM
Millsie02

Shipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanee Pawnee View Post
Espesh after tonites little story...

Really don't want him here tbh
Shit, didn't realise he organised this...

In memory of mum, anyone who has some spare change to support Ovarian Cancer Action:

Ovarian Cancer Action Fundraising
Old 22-06-2020, 09:55 PM

Old Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is here
What I said before, he is not the right for for our club
Old 22-06-2020, 10:10 PM

chateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkster View Post
He doesn’t like black players.
Good because next week his lot are going to get turned over by a bunch of them who are better than they are and that's the only thing that matters.
Old 23-06-2020, 07:18 AM

Ron Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRon Dogers came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Dyche does have a consistent record for finding and nurturing talent from lower leagues and prem reserves. Resale value is something we have lacked by our firefighter management
Old 23-06-2020, 08:17 AM

Sick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is here
I'm uncomfortable with people accusing SD of being a racist, he seems quite a decent, intelligent guy and a remainer I believe. I googled his name and 'racist', didn't find anything other than this article which is quite interesting and goes some way towards explaining the all white team.

Think he absolutely deserves the benefit of doubt until there's some evidence to suggest otherwise.
Old 23-06-2020, 08:21 AM
Up On The Triangle

fang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Bucket View Post
I'm uncomfortable with people accusing SD of being a racist, he seems quite a decent, intelligent guy and a remainer I believe. I googled his name and 'racist', didn't find anything other than this article which is quite interesting and goes some way towards explaining the all white team.

Think he absolutely deserves the benefit of doubt until there's some evidence to suggest otherwise.
Like you, I'd like to see some evidence. The accusation doesn't seem to hang with what is known about the man.