Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Transfer Hotline

Notices

Transfer Hotline Latest transfer news, rumours and suggestions for new Palace players. Includes outgoing transfers and news on released players.

Old 22-05-2020, 12:56 PM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdeagle View Post
Newcastle are 4 points behind Palace in the table and Wilf has his roots in South London and so why if he was for sale would he want to go there.

Some Newcastle fans are already saying that they don't want him as he is not good enough in their deluded eyes.

COYP
Money I would guess. And if they do invest massively in the squad he may well think they will finish higher than us next season and could compete for Europe.
Old 22-05-2020, 12:59 PM
it's a city you know...

st albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash View Post
Money I would guess. And if they do invest massively in the squad he may well think they will finish higher than us next season and could compete for Europe.
lol, calm down Steve Bruce
Old 22-05-2020, 01:21 PM

hdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is here
FFP will limit how much any rich owners can spend on players and wages and it has been suggested that Newcastle may have about £150m to spend if the proposed takeover goes through and Wilf plus his wages would cost over £100m.

COYP
Old 22-05-2020, 01:24 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash View Post
Maybe, but there are already too many teams in contention for not enough places. What could just as easily happen is they are forced to pay over the odds in both wages and fees to get bodies in, and have to hope they gel in a short space of time.
Old 22-05-2020, 01:43 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
I think Wilf will be at least 31 and just not that good anymore by the time Newcastle are making proper top 6 pushes. There’s so much work to do on that squad, and they can’t rebuild it as quickly as Chelsea or Man City did, FFP has tightened up.
Old 22-05-2020, 01:45 PM
Once More Into The Fray

Joe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP-RJW View Post
I think Wilf will be at least 31 and just not that good anymore by the time Newcastle are making top 6 pushes. There’s so much work to do on that squad, and they can’t do as quickly as Chelsea or Man City did, FFP has tightened up.
Shouldn't take a FFP busting amount to surpass the Wankers of Sheff United, to be fair.
Old 22-05-2020, 01:46 PM

sheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is here
Two thoughts that occur to me:

1) £60m / £45m will probably go a lot further in a market where clubs are scrambling to stay afloat. Now is a very good time to have money to spend in this market.

2) I wouldn't be surprised to see the FFP rules relaxed post corona.

Think this may well happen (on the big condition that it would require football to not be curtailed for the next year).
Old 22-05-2020, 01:52 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe85 View Post
Shouldn't take a FFP busting amount to surpass the Wankers of Sheff United, to be fair.
I think Sheff United will finish 7th-8th at best this season, obviously still a great achievement.

Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Leicester, the wankers, Wolves, and (despite their under-performance this season), Arsenal and Spurs. Even Everton have a better squad now, a far better manager, and an owner who isn’t exactly poor. I think it will be a while before the Geordies are finishing ahead of at least three of them + surprise packages like Sheff United to cement themselves as a top 6 side.
Old 22-05-2020, 02:03 PM
Danger Zone

Stavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is here
If Wilf decides he want to go there for the money, good riddance.
Old 22-05-2020, 02:44 PM
Supporting Palace away

Eagle's Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle's Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle's Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle's Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle's Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle's Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle's Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle's Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle's Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle's Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle's Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I do not begrudge Wilf moving on and getting a big pay day. I had already accepted we had lost him to Man Utd but felt grateful for the time he had graced the shirt. When we actually ended up getting him back for 5 more seasons it was an utter joy.
Obviously we would all want him to stay but
- happy for him to get a big money transfer
- happy for the club to cash in big time
- happy to see him play in big Euro Cup competitions etc
- happy to let him prove the doubters wrong

However, I think Newcastle, like Everton's approach last year, would be wrong for him, plus they may well not get the big Euro Cup games. I would far prefer he went abroad but suspect he would be home sick. At least I do not have to see him in a Man Utd shirt again - something that made me feel physically sick.
Old 23-05-2020, 09:52 AM

Jason Sam the man is hereJason Sam the man is hereJason Sam the man is hereJason Sam the man is hereJason Sam the man is hereJason Sam the man is hereJason Sam the man is hereJason Sam the man is hereJason Sam the man is hereJason Sam the man is hereJason Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle's Away View Post
I do not begrudge Wilf moving on and getting a big pay day. I had already accepted we had lost him to Man Utd but felt grateful for the time he had graced the shirt. When we actually ended up getting him back for 5 more seasons it was an utter joy.
Obviously we would all want him to stay but
- happy for him to get a big money transfer
- happy for the club to cash in big time
- happy to see him play in big Euro Cup competitions etc
- happy to let him prove the doubters wrong

However, I think Newcastle, like Everton's approach last year, would be wrong for him, plus they may well not get the big Euro Cup games. I would far prefer he went abroad but suspect he would be home sick. At least I do not have to see him in a Man Utd shirt again - something that made me feel physically sick.
I kind of agree with this. Wilf this season has just not been the same player as previously. Now of course, that's a relative term and he has still been very good. But on current form he is now "only" one of our best players, rather than being the man who makes the team tick.

If we can get the kind of fee that funds 4-5 younger signings (and with the wages he is on, that is not impossible), then it may be time to reluctantly let him go with our eternal thanks and best wishes. The fact that the move isn't what he might have hoped for is in many ways not our issue, and I can see why he might take a move that is sideways in terms of current league position. but a bigger club in terms of profile and more upside potential
Old 23-05-2020, 10:41 AM

TWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Maybe if they were in the Championship.

If the take over goes through, they'll be fighting for a European spot from day 1.
Rarely works like that. They wont immediately buy a team that can compete at that level. Will take 2-3 seasons to transform the squad
Old 23-05-2020, 10:42 AM

TWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is hereTWELLSEagle Sam the man is here
If they do offer £60m though we could end up being in the odd scenario where the club is quite interested in cash in ng in but wilf doesn't want to go
Old 23-05-2020, 10:45 AM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Be gutted as anyone when/if he goes but in a way I do look forward to us having 11 players instead of Wilf plus the rest which has almost become the fan and media view. There seems no room for anyone else somehow and it will be nice for the love to spread around the team a little more. We coped before and we will cope again and have no other choice than get on with it. I just hope they don’t try to replace him with another ‘special’ star. It won’t work. We will miss him and no doubt he will get even better in our memories

Maybe be better that he does leave at some point because we won’t cope well as he ages. We couldn’t handle Jules being dropped, there will be a meltdown if Wilf is ever subbed, let alone dropped so ....
Old 23-05-2020, 01:24 PM
Once More Into The Fray

Joe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWELLSEagle View Post
Rarely works like that. They wont immediately buy a team that can compete at that level. Will take 2-3 seasons to transform the squad

Nah. Look at the points gap between 5th and 17th. Minimal gulf inequality through the squads too. They’ll be fighting for Europa spots from the beginning.
Old 23-05-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Nah. Look at the points gap between 5th and 17th. Minimal gulf inequality through the squads too. They’ll be fighting for Europa spots from the beginning.
Not with cabbage head in charge.
Old 23-05-2020, 01:48 PM
N14 and not so proud...

SOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP-RJW View Post
Not with cabbage head in charge.
Cauliflower won't be though, will he? I can't imagine Bruce being trusted with the crucial first tranche of money to transform Newcastle.

It will come down to who is running the show and how well the money is spent and no one can predict that. A Newcastle with a penis pump owner, like Brighton, could become the joker in the pack or just a joke. Zaha might fancy taking a tilt since the big six aren't exactly hammering at his door. ( and are unlikely to given the global situation and Zaha's relatively poor season this year ) At the price we want for him, a pumped up Newcastle might be the only game in town if Zaha wants a real chance at Champions League / Europa football.

I don't care anymore, provided we reinvest wisely. ( another story altogether ) Any real emotional connection I had for him went after last summer's antics and I remain convinced a large part of his poor form is that he is saving himself. The more I think about it, the more I'd just like this over and done with.
Old 23-05-2020, 02:57 PM
Super Furry Animal

Riley Sam the man is hereRiley Sam the man is hereRiley Sam the man is hereRiley Sam the man is hereRiley Sam the man is hereRiley Sam the man is hereRiley Sam the man is hereRiley Sam the man is hereRiley Sam the man is hereRiley Sam the man is hereRiley Sam the man is here
I don't think Wilf will be going anytime soon.
Old 23-05-2020, 03:48 PM
Gina Lollobrigida

A Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is here
Why is he so obsessed by getting more money? Doesn't he earn enough? Are there things he wants that he can't afford? Hasn't he got enough millions to pass on to generations of his family?
Old 23-05-2020, 04:08 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Wooden Fish On Wheels View Post
Why is he so obsessed by getting more money? Doesn't he earn enough? Are there things he wants that he can't afford? Hasn't he got enough millions to pass on to generations of his family?
Do we know that he is, or is it speculation