Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

View Poll Results: MoM
Guaita 0 0%
Ward 28 14.00%
Dann 41 20.50%
Cahill 11 5.50%
van Aanholt 9 4.50%
Milivojevic 1 0.50%
Kouyatť * 0 0%
McArthur 51 25.50%
Townsend ** 8 4.00%
Zaha 6 3.00%
Ayew 8 4.00%
* McCarthy 3 1.50%
** Meyer 34 17.00%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30-06-2020, 09:33 AM
The Seventh Son

Scoot : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScoot : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScoot : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScoot : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScoot : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScoot : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScoot : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScoot : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScoot : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScoot : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScoot : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Why does Roy roll out the same post match crap?
Can't fault the players effort.
**** off Roy tell it how it is, they were, to a man, shocking.
Looked mid table championship at best last night and that is being nice.

As for the goal, Wayne what was you doing? ... oh wait
Old 30-06-2020, 09:44 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
Meyer - 4 - showed us his great touch and delightful 180 degree turn in one fluid movement but has little to no impact on the game. Was hoping in a game devoid of creativity we may see something but he fell into the same rut
Palace created six chances from open play yesterday. Meyer created two of them. One for Ayew and one for one of the centre backs. No one else created more than one.

He was on the pitch for 12 minutes.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 30-06-2020, 09:46 AM

exiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is here
To get 42 points is an amazing achievement when you look back at our season . RH deserves credit for setting us up in a rigid formation which rarely loses its shape . However we have had luck this season and there have been quite a few games where i have thought we were extremely fortunate to have picked up points .
Unless something changes in Summer ( major recruitment of right calibre player ) then i feel next season will be one too many for our squad and Manager . The squad is so unbalanced and aging - very similar to Stoke a few years ago . Not a popular view but i also think keeping RH for another season might be one we regret . It is just a gut instinct i have that his enthusiasm is not quite what it was and when i look at him on touchline he just looks lost sometimes .
Dyche may be available in the Summer and he would be my choice . We have to stay in Premier League and in my view he will do that . He has worked miracles with a limited budget and thats what he would have with us .
Old 30-06-2020, 09:47 AM
Danger Zone

Stavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
Palace created six chances from open play yesterday. Meyer created two of them. One for Ayew and one for one of the centre backs. No one else created more than one.

He was on the pitch for 12 minutes.
Well said. Meyer needs a run of games.
He offers us more than any MF bar Jimmy Mac going forwards.
Old 30-06-2020, 09:54 AM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
You and i must have been watching different games then. Dyche pulled McNeil in from the wing to give him a free role centrally with just 1 player up top. McNeil was dominating that game until McCarthy dealt with him on the hour and from then on we dominated the game.

So yes i thought Dyche, given his huge lack or resources pulled out a great bit of management last night and set his team up in a different way to use his players in the best way he could and attack our weaknesses.
Or short of personnel having 3 forwards out he put McNeil in the Barnes/Rodrigues slot just behind the main striker Wood who was replaced with Vydra. Not sure the role was that free as he was also on stop Wilf getting the ball duty.

Don't get me wrong Re McNeil - I do think he is an excellent player that I would love to have at Palace but I thought the commentator was orgasmic over him before he had kicked a ball last night and other than a couple of moments he was no where near as good there as he is out wide. A talent but he was fairly well contained. In the first half when Luka was in la la land and Kouyate was treating the ball like a hot potato or infectious disease he showed a few times but otherwise he was pretty MEH. Solid team contribution but not a lot more.

I really don't think there was any rocket science involved here. There was a very good performance from Brownhill - rock solid defence and Mee took a less than half chance from some sloppy marking by Cahill. I am not attempting to denegrate Dyche - more balance the 'wonder boy' image you are suggesting. He is a dour, focused, disciplined manager that could well fit in at Palace but he is nothing like a Messiah.
Old 30-06-2020, 09:54 AM

KP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKP'S Nuts came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Because Roy has far better players at his disposal than Dyche does.

Man for man which Burnley players would you put in the Palace starting XI?

Pope might edge out Guaita but he is one of our best players this season.

Mee might get in ahead of Dann but i would generally have Cahill over both their CBs.

Would you take any of their midfielders over ours? I would take McNeil over Zaha at the moment but IMO Roy has ruined him as he has our strikers. Benteke has more PL pedigree than Wood or Barnes, the difference is Dyche knows how to get the best out of them and play to their strengths.

They were bare bones, only 12 fit senior pros and he still got more out of them than Roy did out of our lot despite a days extra rest/training and no need to travel.
Wood would walk into our team your mad if you think a 31 goal striker over three years is a worse option over Benteke with 5 over the same period. Barnes has 27 over that period as well
Old 30-06-2020, 09:57 AM

desperado came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdesperado came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdesperado came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdesperado came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdesperado came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdesperado came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdesperado came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdesperado came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdesperado came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdesperado came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdesperado came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Fortress Selhurst
Another passive negative performance at home. Far too many of them over the past seven seasons
It is five!
Old 30-06-2020, 10:00 AM

PalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceForever came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
When we're on a free to air broadcast to a big audience, it's a nice opportunity to show some neutrals a bit of our personality...I doubt last night's set up and performance will be attracting any new ticket sales for next year. Burnley are a good side, but they were hit by injuries to key players and it's really disappointing that we couldn't take advantage.
Old 30-06-2020, 10:01 AM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Because Roy has far better players at his disposal than Dyche does.

Man for man which Burnley players would you put in the Palace starting XI?

Pope might edge out Guaita but he is one of our best players this season.

Mee might get in ahead of Dann but i would generally have Cahill over both their CBs.

Would you take any of their midfielders over ours? I would take McNeil over Zaha at the moment but IMO Roy has ruined him as he has our strikers. Benteke has more PL pedigree than Wood or Barnes, the difference is Dyche knows how to get the best out of them and play to their strengths.

They were bare bones, only 12 fit senior pros and he still got more out of them than Roy did out of our lot despite a days extra rest/training and no need to travel.
They came from Burnley, not Azerbaijan.
Old 30-06-2020, 10:01 AM

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
Meh. You win some, you lose some. Sometimes players play above themselves, sometimes they play below themselves. Sometimes individually, sometimes collectively.

To state that 'Roy was totally out-thought by Dyche' is - in my opinion, of course - nonsense. It wasn't a tactical masterclass, we were poor. It was 1-0 (partly due to an unusual GK error), not 3-0.

Did Nigel Pearson 'completely, absolutely, totally out-think' Klopp when Watford won 3-0?
Thats how I see it TBH.
Old 30-06-2020, 10:03 AM

Johnsonpen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnsonpen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnsonpen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnsonpen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnsonpen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnsonpen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnsonpen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnsonpen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnsonpen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnsonpen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJohnsonpen came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
All last night really showed was that we really should have got a few more players signed in key positions. Unfair to expect Wilf to carry the forward play even when he had no real right to have been fit enough to do so. Way forward? Get Dyche lined up and Roy as DoF rather than Doug. It is ridiculous how we have both Sorloth and Wickham on loan and no creative midfielder or right back cover. Four players on over £100,000 a week and only one of them worth it. I don’t want Europe seeing what it has done to several teams in recent years, especially with our limited resources. Glad we spent so much on branding the portacabins turned into away dressing rooms. Money spent in all the right places.
Old 30-06-2020, 10:04 AM

BringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

Roy has poor options right now and with so many players misfiring, adding many more points seems unlikely.
Roy's options were more than good enough to win the game last night though, look how many injuries Burnley brought in to the game. Dyche found a way to mix it up with only a small forward on the pitch and gave McNeil license to carry the ball through our static midfield. As someone else said, Roy set us up the same as he did vs Man City at the Etihad. Last night was not about a lack of options for me.
Old 30-06-2020, 10:13 AM

Dave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is here
We chuck in performances like that every so often under Roy.

Tired, no ideas going forward, toothless in attack, few touches in the opposition box, over-reliant on Wilf.

Roy's play-it-safe game plan doesn't really make a lot of sense against a side like Burnley. When we woke up around 75/80 minutes, it was already too late. We've seen that many times before.

Biggest concerns were Townsend and Ward down the right hand side; both look absolutely spent and offered nothing going forward. I think Andros might have already left his prime behind him. Ward really highlighted the importance of good attacking full-backs if you want to pass it out the back.

Wilf is injured but looked disinterested. We're at our best with two proper wingers so you cannot double mark them both. We really should have invested in another winger like Bolasie to match up on the other flank.

Never a good day when one of your most reliable performers in Guiata makes a mistake like that. He looked gutted.

It's a good thing nobody got excited about a European tour.
Old 30-06-2020, 10:13 AM

exiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Just to add, Luka and Kouyate both had awful starts to the match last night. Itís one thing helping a player through a difficult spell but 2 of them, with one being the pivot of the team was difficult to watch.

We really do miss Schlupp at the moment. Someone who has the pace and power to carry the ball forward and who offers a goal threat from the middle but can win the ball. Also he is good in the air. At the moment we are reliant on Kouyate or Benteke playing for defensive aerial cover at set pieces.

Roy has poor options right now and with so many players misfiring, adding many more points seems unlikely.

Does feel to me that the squad has been allowed to atrophy to a point that will, take some inspired transfer activity now to fix and likely a lot of cash. We are heading for Stoke territory if the DOF canít play a blinder. I donít see a Wilf transfer funding anything because we wonít get anything like the fees bandied around last Summer.

I do think Schlupp is a big plus to our squad . However like many players - we seem to have a higher regard for them when they are not playing . He is more of an impact player - but an excellent one to have , someone who is quick and direct . Sadly we have very few of them .
Old 30-06-2020, 10:14 AM

Shifty97 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShifty97 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShifty97 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShifty97 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShifty97 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShifty97 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShifty97 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShifty97 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShifty97 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShifty97 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineShifty97 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavros 69 View Post
Well said. Meyer needs a run of games.
He offers us more than any MF bar Jimmy Mac going forwards.
but they need to be through the middle and not as a winger
Old 30-06-2020, 10:20 AM

BringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Trivial I know, but am I the only one who gets more and more annoyed by Andros' hair and beard the worse he plays? Sort it out man.
Old 30-06-2020, 10:20 AM

Wycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is hereWycombe Eagle#2 Sam the man is here
Roy has done a great job this season to get results and keep us safe with the personnel he has. Beginning of the season I honestly thought we'd be in big big trouble after another lack luster transfer window.

Unfortunately too many performances are resembling his performances in charge of England. Past the ball 1000 times sideways and back and pretend we're Barcelona trying to keep possession but do nothing with the ball.
Old 30-06-2020, 10:21 AM
Only One Dougie Freedman

GrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is here
The only thing things of any note:

Guaita was poor for the goal, good position got across well, but poor attempt to push it away.

The only thing worse than that piece of goalkeeping was our passing. Absolutely abysmal. Every 3rd touch was to a Burnley player.

Meyer, he has played that way a couple of times now, but itís always when we are trailing, with the opposition camped in their own half, or even third, which means he sees a fair chunk of the ball, but heís still got the usual dross to deliver to.

Townsend needs the season to end, get over his injury, get rid of the 2 stone wind drag on his head, and have a full pre season to see if he is still a mid table prem player. Seems very slow in thought as well as movement.

Wilf had no interest in running at players when 1 on 1. I like that he has matured a bit and when he is double/triple marked he often draws them away and passes the ball to create space elsewhere, itís what the top top players do very well, but he has removed the one on one work he usually thrives at. Heís not told to, there were 2 occasions where the bench were telling him to take his man on and he stopped and went backwards, when he would have done just that before. Probably needs the season to end and have a full pre season with Palace on his mind and not a transfer.

We really need a new winger, a proper CF that can hold the ball up and chip in with goals and a fast forward to run channels/get in behind to change the game up and get Sakho, Benteke, Wickham, and probably Meyer (unless we get the new winger and fast paced forward in) off the wage bill.
Old 30-06-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringbackShipps View Post
Roy's options were more than good enough to win the game last night though, look how many injuries Burnley brought in to the game. Dyche found a way to mix it up with only a small forward on the pitch and gave McNeil license to carry the ball through our static midfield. As someone else said, Roy set us up the same as he did vs Man City at the Etihad. Last night was not about a lack of options for me.
You have picked on the word options and ignored the 'with so many players misfiring'.

The difference on the pitch is that more of their players turned up. Far too many of ours didn't for whatever reason.

Re our options - we only had one CF - Ayew who is likely in the his worst patch of form for us albeit trying as hard as ever. Our only left wing option is Wilf who doesn't look and clearly isn't fully fit. Our only Right wing option is Andros who is clearly way below his best form and has been since his injury early in the season. Last night Luka and Kouyate's first half performances were beyond weird.

I swear Luka played 8 mins before he made a pass to a Palace player let alone the lack of tackles and so on. It's the worst start from him I can remember. Kouyate looked well out of sorts. The only place we options in CM and CBs although even that is reduced to 2 from 3 all of which are older/injury prone.

Did we deserve to lose the match - I would say no. They nicked it with a Palace like performance. Did we deserve to win it - nope because far too many players were under par (by their own standards let alone the PL).

We really didn't lose due to tactics.
Old 30-06-2020, 10:26 AM
Only One Dougie Freedman

GrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is here
And boy do we need a new Right Back. Our right side has no pace, no skill, no trickery, no overlapping crosses, just a Right sided defender behind a right sided midfielder.

Which would be fine if our RIght midfielder can do all that and some, but Townsend just doesnít, we have 2 players doing none of that.