Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Other Sport World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 27-06-2022, 10:27 AM

Sharkba1t Sam the man is hereSharkba1t Sam the man is hereSharkba1t Sam the man is hereSharkba1t Sam the man is hereSharkba1t Sam the man is hereSharkba1t Sam the man is hereSharkba1t Sam the man is hereSharkba1t Sam the man is hereSharkba1t Sam the man is hereSharkba1t Sam the man is hereSharkba1t Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavey View Post
That sounds awful. I busted up my achilles the weekend before the NYC half back in March. Nothing as bad as you, but I was limping for a week and it still really aches when I first wake up. Like you I've really been missing getting out there. Just starting back in on running last week - taking it very slow. I'm up to four miles now, but my achilles says stop at that point.

Curious if anyone has any tips on getting back to running with achilles injuries.
I'd be interested on any tips too!

I'm back jogging after months off with a hamstring injury followed by an Achilles. But the achilles refuses to clear up! I'm stretching it every day. Getting very frustrated with the length of time this is taking...
Old 27-06-2022, 03:50 PM

immoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Generally speaking you need to be working on strengthening as well as stretching.

In expensive way is using a towel but probably better with a long resistance band to load the muscles and tendons while you move the foot up and down before progressing on to single leg calf raises on the stairs.

To view the link you have to Register or Login looks like it covers both (not watched in detail)
Old 27-06-2022, 03:57 PM

wavey Sam the man is herewavey Sam the man is herewavey Sam the man is herewavey Sam the man is herewavey Sam the man is herewavey Sam the man is herewavey Sam the man is herewavey Sam the man is herewavey Sam the man is herewavey Sam the man is herewavey Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by immoralgiant View Post
Generally speaking you need to be working on strengthening as well as stretching.

In expensive way is using a towel but probably better with a long resistance band to load the muscles and tendons while you move the foot up and down before progressing on to single leg calf raises on the stairs.

To view the link you have to Register or Login looks like it covers both (not watched in detail)
Thank you! I'm already up to single leg calf raises. I can manage about 15 or 20 before my achilles starts hurting. In your experience are the leg raises worth persisting with? Anything else I can be doing to aid the recovery?
Old 28-06-2022, 08:14 AM

immoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietimmoralgiant came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavey View Post
Thank you! I'm already up to single leg calf raises. I can manage about 15 or 20 before my achilles starts hurting. In your experience are the leg raises worth persisting with? Anything else I can be doing to aid the recovery?
If you're getting pain from them then you may be doing too much too soon. In this situation I'd pay 30-40 to see a physio. Find one who's a runner themselves or who lots of runners who recommend them.
Old 28-06-2022, 08:19 AM

Sharkba1t Sam the man is hereSharkba1t Sam the man is hereSharkba1t Sam the man is hereSharkba1t Sam the man is hereSharkba1t Sam the man is hereSharkba1t Sam the man is hereSharkba1t Sam the man is hereSharkba1t Sam the man is hereSharkba1t Sam the man is hereSharkba1t Sam the man is hereSharkba1t Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by immoralgiant View Post
If you're getting pain from them then you may be doing too much too soon. In this situation I'd pay 30-40 to see a physio. Find one who's a runner themselves or who lots of runners who recommend them.
Thank you - will do that!
Old 02-07-2022, 01:07 PM
Always late for kick-off

3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Having regressed to over 30 minutes for a parkrun at Christmas, I resumed regular running & swimming (and staying on the wagon!) the last couple of months.

Headed to Sutcliffe Park this morning, a nice flat, wide, concrete 3-lapper, just past Eltham and the fruits of my labour were evident with my fastest ever parkrun of 25:36
Old 02-07-2022, 05:53 PM

ob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Beers at HT View Post
Having regressed to over 30 minutes for a parkrun at Christmas, I resumed regular running & swimming (and staying on the wagon!) the last couple of months.

Headed to Sutcliffe Park this morning, a nice flat, wide, concrete 3-lapper, just past Eltham and the fruits of my labour were evident with my fastest ever parkrun of 25:36
Awesome well done
Old 02-07-2022, 06:28 PM

ob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkba1t View Post
I'd be interested on any tips too!

I'm back jogging after months off with a hamstring injury followed by an Achilles. But the achilles refuses to clear up! I'm stretching it every day. Getting very frustrated with the length of time this is taking...
I am troubled by Achilles issues (as an old git i think its fairly normal?) not snapped or anything just niggly pain (mid bit),usually aggravated in my case by pushing too hard at parkrun or alot of hard hill work! I know theres no real science about it but i have found accupuncture helpful to speed healing to get you out gently working again.It is though a real balance between resting to let the extreme pain pass and doing the work to stretch and strengthen them.
Mine are currently the best they have been in the 18 months since i started running.
I was sometimes getting a bit of pain and stiffness in the achilles,foot/ankle area particularly early mornings for a few years before running,so its not entirely a running injury to me and i think quite likely linked to not being very supple.
The last few months i have really improved in this area and have not had a real issue with it.I can sometimes feel it if i have a hard day(11 mile run today,and a 28 mile bike ride before lunch,and couldn't describe it as pain) but i am not limping or anything.My belief is the massive improvement for me is the fact over the same timescale i have started wearing proper cycle shoes so am clipped to the pedals which has just helped that flexibility in that ankle area.Not sure if is much help to you but if you already do a bit of cycling or have access to a bike it could possibly help.

Last edited by ob13; 02-07-2022 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:48 PM
Lead Worshipper

Chillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Beers at HT View Post

Well done.

I'm dreaming of getting down to 30 minutes; but then you do have over 15 years on me.

Continued with my usual Hogmoor Inclosure parkrun yesterday and, with new (second-hand from Oxfam) shoes, ran my fastest PB at 31:37
Old 04-07-2022, 05:11 PM
Always late for kick-off

3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet3 Beers at HT came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillo View Post
Well done.

I'm dreaming of getting down to 30 minutes; but then you do have over 15 years on me.

Continued with my usual Hogmoor Inclosure parkrun yesterday and, with new (second-hand from Oxfam) shoes, ran my fastest PB at 31:37
Nicely done, congrats

My first run was 38 minutes 4 years ago so there is always scope for improvements and looking at your times you're certainly on the right track.

It's good to regularly run the same parkrun, it gives you a chance to see where you could maybe up your pace at certain points or understand where you may struggle, to build on.
Old 05-07-2022, 04:55 PM
old git

pallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is here
The wife and I have started running again after a very very long lay off, we were happy getting fat and being lazy!! Did a 5k on Saturday, back out tonight.
Old 05-07-2022, 05:03 PM
100% behind SP

tasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by pallet View Post
The wife and I have started running again after a very very long lay off, we were happy getting fat and being lazy!! Did a 5k on Saturday, back out tonight.
Welcome back! Get on those Parkruns!

Had my slowest 10k ever last night. 4 miles in had to pull up, and jogged the rest of the way home. On the plus side, at least I'm not totally knackered today. Though I think the days of PBs are long behind me.
Old 05-07-2022, 05:27 PM

greybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is heregreybot Sam the man is here
It was hot last night. Also didn't complete my 10k route. Split it into 7k and then a 3k jog after. Getting out there and being consistent is more important than PBs or fast times right now.

https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-katerina
Old 06-07-2022, 10:04 PM
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

Woosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is here
Not run much lately but still managed to bang out a 5K and 10K PB this evening at RPAC Summer 10K in Reigate.

Did the first 5K in 19:31 and overall my 10K was 40:33 so a PB by 43 seconds.

If we can winter this one out, we can summer anywhere

Now Cinderella don't you go to sleep
It's such a bitter form of refuge
Don't you know the Kingdom's under siege
And everybody needs you
Old 06-07-2022, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosie View Post
Not run much lately but still managed to bang out a 5K and 10K PB this evening at RPAC Summer 10K in Reigate.

well done,awesome times dont think i am ever getting close to those!

Been busy this evening myself with a little duathlon. 2 little short runs of 2 miles 13:46 and then a slower 15:48 with 5 laps of castle combe on bike in between. Some seriously quick people there so happy enough not to get in top half this time 25th out of 37. Sneeked in just under the hour in total which was the best i could realistically hope for really. Quite hot too and i am far more suited to my 5am runs than 7pm starts!
Old 07-07-2022, 11:10 AM

Steve H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve H : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosie View Post

Wow that's impressive. You can't have been far off a top 10 finish with that time!
Old 07-07-2022, 11:52 AM
old git

pallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is here
We are slow joggers so wont embrass myself by putting times up. Back out tonight, its a bit cooler thankfully. Irs just good to be active again.
Old 07-07-2022, 12:12 PM

Quote:
We are slow joggers so wont embrass myself by putting times up. Back out tonight, its a bit cooler thankfully. Irs just good to be active again.
Just enjoy it,you will probably almost accidently get faster over time anyway if you can enjoy it enough to make it a regular habit.
You dont even have to time yourself if you don't want to,certainly dont have to tell anyone else.But never be embarrased.Well done to you both on getting going again
Old 09-07-2022, 05:35 PM
Lead Worshipper

Chillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is here
Quote:
We are slow joggers so wont embrass myself by putting times up. Back out tonight, its a bit cooler thankfully. It's just good to be active again.
For me, it's all about being active. It's all about being the best version of yourself, something that will improve over time.

I only started in November and have improved my times over that time; but more importantly, feel fitter and can run for longer before I have to have a short walk! I know this also means that there's plenty of room for improvement.

I like the 9am parkrun, not only as I'm up at that time anyway, but it's also much cooler than running later in the day.
Old 12-07-2022, 10:03 PM
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

Woosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve H View Post
Wow that's impressive. You can't have been far off a top 10 finish with that time!
Think I was 16th out of 200 and something so pretty pleased overall. Surprised I got a PB as it's not a flat course and my previous PB was at Gatwick on a flat course. Good fun though.

Quote:
I'd like to think this thread is about just celebrating our own personal achievements and no one compares to each other. Easy for me to say I guess given my times but no reason not to put times up if you want to just because others are faster. As you say though, the best thing is just being active, so keep jogging - you'll naturally get quicker anyway as well

If we can winter this one out, we can summer anywhere

Now Cinderella don't you go to sleep
It's such a bitter form of refuge
Don't you know the Kingdom's under siege
And everybody needs you