Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Other Sport World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 30-07-2013, 12:53 PM

sci-dogg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesci-dogg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesci-dogg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesci-dogg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesci-dogg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesci-dogg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesci-dogg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesci-dogg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesci-dogg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesci-dogg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesci-dogg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I have very mixed but generally bitter feelings about Wilf's departure.

Watching him play so well for them during pre-season has been painful, but we should all feel very proud of our academy.

1) When we sold him for 10 million and a loan-back option my initial hunch was that it was a good deal. He had lost some form, was being outperformed by Bolasie at the time, and I felt that the money could be reinvested to boost our stalling bid for automatic promotion. I also thought being attached to the world's biggest club, and knowing that this time at Palace was drawing to a close would inspire him to up his performance levels. His contribution during the play-offs was extraordinary.

2) The romantic in me found it hard to take that a lad who had been at Palace since he first moved to England, and who had grown up a stone's throw from the ground, would leave as we stood to gain promotion into the Premiership. If you have been involved in a long-term project that you are passionate about, why leave just before it comes into fruition.

3) These sentiments were the same that I felt when Dougie left. It is pure conjecture, but perhaps Freedman's departure prompted Wilfs. Dougie had proved himself to be a mentor to Wilf, and had always expressed the opinion that he should remain at the club for another season to aid his development. If Dougie felt the need to move on to progress, it seems natural to think that maybe Wilf felt the same way. It certainly proved to him that the uncertainty of life as a manager/footballer tempers any emotional attachment or loyalty one feels to a club. Who is to say that if he stayed for another season, he would not have suffered an injury or loss of form. Life is about taking opportunities as they arise, and it is hard to say no when Sir Alex Ferguson comes calling.

4) Clyne played 123 times for us. Wilf 126. Whilst I believe passionately that players develop by playing rather than simply training with better players, if people were satisfied that the time was right for Clyne to move on for the sake of his development, maybe the same can be said for Wilf. He already has an England cap - he is no Bostock. Having watched his performances for Man U so far, perhaps he is more ready to make the step-up to a Champions League side than I thought. It is certainly the start of a new era for them, and I would not be surprised if he is firmly in Moyes' plans.

5) That said, perhaps it was inevitable that we would not decline Manchester's offer. In that case, the question is how do we replace him. Having gained promotion to the Premiership, and being deprived of our two major sources of goals, as Holloway said, we have some big gaps to fill. However, I think it is important to try and stand in the shoes of the owners.

6) The long-term aim of the owners rescuing us from administration was secure the long term sustainability of the club. Having gained promotion, and won what Deloitte described as the footballing lottery, this has been achieved. However, whilst we have leaped from being Europe's 300th biggest club in terms of turnover to 30th, the infrastructure remains of a lower Championship standard in many respects, notably wages.

7) The key thing with Wilf is that he is a homegrown talent, and a product of our greatest strength, our academy. To replace him would be impossible. Players of his talent outside the club are extremely rare, and to bring one in would not be possible within our current wage structure.

8) Given that sustainability is the buzzword of our owners, huge signings to fill the gaping chasm left by Wilf and Glenn are not likely to be forthcoming. Therefore, staying up this season will be very very difficult indeed. Swansea and Norwich have done so recently following a business model our owners aspire to. However, they did not have their two most important players removed from their squad before the season began. They also were not as reliant on one player as we were with Wilf in terms of attacking threat.

9) That said, it is shaping to be a very difficult season in many respects. Ollie has not won over many of the supporters, and hasn't yet forged a relationship with the most vocal section of our support, who are more resentful about the Freedman saga than Wilf's departure. After a few losses, given the way we performed for the second half of the league season before the final two play off games, many fans will be tempted to get on Holloways back.

10) As a club, we are totally unprepared for the Premiership, but whilst it may certainly not always be pretty, we are Palace and we can occasionally prove people (including ourselves) very wrong!

Last edited by sci-dogg; 30-07-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 30-07-2013, 12:57 PM
Emancipated

TheJudge knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfTheJudge knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfTheJudge knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfTheJudge knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfTheJudge knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfTheJudge knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfTheJudge knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfTheJudge knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfTheJudge knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfTheJudge knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfTheJudge knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle mart View Post
Look at our youth system, how has it got to this stage? Not by stitching up our young players. What message would it have sent out? Think. Look at the bigger picture.

It was sensible on all counts. Money, timing and a message to all of our youngsters.

Allasani would never sign another Pro-deal at Palace if we suddenly stitched Wilf up. We sorted ourselves and him out when he signed that deal. We guaranteed ourselves a payday, and Wilf knew he would never see out that contract - it was a mutual understanding. He signed it knowing if a big club came in, at the right time he would move on.

Please dont get all moral about 'contracts' etc. If you were the decision maker we'd lose all our youngsters at 15.

It's all common sense.
I agree with you in general but I feel that we were a little too keen to sell him.

His value has increased between January and now in my opinion so holding on to him would have arguably been financially astute. It is fair to say that this is said with hindsight. We will never know what would have happened.
My concern is that the board and many fans, seem preoccupied with being financially clever and not with winning games.
Old 30-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Emancipated

TheJudge knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfTheJudge knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfTheJudge knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfTheJudge knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfTheJudge knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfTheJudge knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfTheJudge knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfTheJudge knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfTheJudge knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfTheJudge knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelfTheJudge knocked on the bar and pointed to a bottle on the shelf
Quote:
Transfer window is not over.... Judge (pun intended) them on sept 1st. It's equal to calling Holloway a "**** who messed things up" two months before he got us promoted.
I will do that, but right now I'm predicting what will happen if we don't get our shit together, and make some signings.
I can give you a guarantee that I will not be criticising Holloway at any point this season, but I also guarantee that many will if we lose a load of games.
Last season we signed no one and lost the first 3 in a row. I would expect to lose the first 10 in a row if we make the same mistake.
The guys we have so far are nowhere near enough.
Old 30-07-2013, 01:05 PM
gastros/kids/delis/olives

AndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is here
I've said it before and I'll say it again, we're clearly looking for value in the market. Value in the market comes at the end of the transfer window. Let's wait until the end of August before, in the words of PK, we all **** out of our ******.
Old 30-07-2013, 01:14 PM

eagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is here
Agreed.

Right now the players and the selling clubs hold all the cards. When the music stops there will be a panic to find the nearest available seat. We wont be the only ones waiting..
Old 30-07-2013, 01:16 PM
Wagon Painter

mik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is here
What and miss out on all these posts and threads and "opinions" and rumours and ... are you mad???
Old 30-07-2013, 01:17 PM
gastros/kids/delis/olives

AndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is hereAndyStreet Sam the man is here
Quote:
Agreed.

Right now the players and the selling clubs hold all the cards. When the music stops there will be a panic to find the nearest available seat. We wont be the only ones waiting..
This is true, and it's a higher risk game we're playing, but let's wait a bit before all out panic. If the current squad doesn't change before the end of the window I will cry though, admittedly.
Old 30-07-2013, 01:29 PM

HOVE EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHOVE EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHOVE EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHOVE EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHOVE EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHOVE EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHOVE EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHOVE EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHOVE EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHOVE EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHOVE EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Agreed.

well said -alot of these players and their agents will reduce their demands when they realise that they wont even be playing first team football in the premiership .I think other premiership buying clubs are having the same problem not just us .I have faith in this board -so far they have delivered in excess of everything we expected-this is new to them but they deserve our backing !
Old 30-07-2013, 01:36 PM
Emancipated

Quote:
Agreed.

We all know that but once again I will remind you what happened last season.
We lost the first 3 games.
If you wait until the last minute, players have never played together and they are not always match fit. The first few games could decide our season.
Don't say I didn't warn you.
I will also admit I was wrong if required BTW.
Old 30-07-2013, 01:36 PM
Searching the Holy Grail

selhurstparkflyer selhurstparkflyer selhurstparkflyer selhurstparkflyer selhurstparkflyer selhurstparkflyer selhurstparkflyer selhurstparkflyer selhurstparkflyer selhurstparkflyer selhurstparkflyer
We'll have played 3 league games by the end of the window.
Old 30-07-2013, 01:54 PM

eagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJudge View Post
If you wait until the last minute, players have never played together and they are not always match fit. The first few games could decide our season.
Remember last season - the first games NEVER decide the season. We will be there or there abouts whether we win the first three or lose the first three. It's pretty much irrelvant on where we will finish.

However, it's not a policy I entirely agree with. The sentiment with lack of signings will be low again just like last august, and that sends the negative vibes through to the pitch - we dont need that.

I'd say it's almost created by the policy - they could manage expectations a lot better. And ensure we are fully equipped come first game of the season. There are no excuses for not having a squad that can compete by August 17th.

Am still pretty confident that we will have Odemwinge by 1st September and Bale will be a madrid player by then too.
Old 30-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Registered User?

Joooe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoooe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoooe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoooe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoooe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoooe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoooe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoooe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoooe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoooe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJoooe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Funny you should say this, this time last year we had people crying about losing Scannell and Ambrose.

By the end of the window we'd bought Bolasie, Delaney and Moritz. And then got promotion.
Old 30-07-2013, 02:10 PM

GreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGreatGonzo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhurstparkflyer View Post
We'll have played 3 league games by the end of the window.
Season will practically be over!
Old 30-07-2013, 02:24 PM
Emancipated

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
Season will practically be over!
Oh good grief. A season is about points. You have to get more than 18 other teams. It does not matter when you get them.
Might I remind you clever dicks that with 9 extra points last season we would have gone up automatically and would have been 2 weeks ahead of where we are now.
Old 30-07-2013, 03:28 PM

pdeagle84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpdeagle84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpdeagle84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpdeagle84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpdeagle84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpdeagle84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpdeagle84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpdeagle84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpdeagle84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpdeagle84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpdeagle84 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyg1234 View Post
Say we hadn't have sold Wilf and we'd been promoted, would you still accept it if we sold Zaha now for 15 million?
If my auntie had nuts she would be my uncle...
Old 30-07-2013, 03:36 PM

tommyg1234 belongs to Ollietommyg1234 belongs to Ollietommyg1234 belongs to Ollietommyg1234 belongs to Ollietommyg1234 belongs to Ollietommyg1234 belongs to Ollietommyg1234 belongs to Ollietommyg1234 belongs to Ollietommyg1234 belongs to Ollietommyg1234 belongs to Ollietommyg1234 belongs to Ollie
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdeagle84 View Post
If my auntie had nuts she would be my uncle...
You're missing the point. We were in contention for promotion so the owners should have had the foresight to reject the offer and see where we were in the summer. Coincidentally we're in the Premiership and in a position whereby the sale wouldn't have been necessary.
Old 30-07-2013, 04:00 PM

jcreedy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjcreedy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjcreedy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjcreedy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjcreedy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjcreedy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjcreedy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjcreedy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjcreedy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjcreedy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjcreedy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
I agree with you in general but I feel that we were a little too keen to sell him.

His value has increased between January and now in my opinion so holding on to him would have arguably been financially astute. It is fair to say that this is said with hindsight. We will never know what would have happened.
My concern is that the board and many fans, seem preoccupied with being financially clever and not with winning games.
You talk like we had a choice about selling him. Once a player decides they want out, there's very little the owners can do about it, other than get the very best deal for the club.
Old 30-07-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyg1234 View Post
You're missing the point. We were in contention for promotion so the owners should have had the foresight to reject the offer and see where we were in the summer. Coincidentally we're in the Premiership and in a position whereby the sale wouldn't have been necessary.
Done with explaining - you are clueless. You have no common sense. Adios.
Old 30-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Account disabled

racehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcreedy View Post
You talk like we had a choice about selling him. Once a player decides they want out, there's very little the owners can do about it, other than get the very best deal for the club.
When did Zaha ask to leave ? Also holloway approached united about Zaha .
Old 30-07-2013, 08:01 PM

tommyg1234 belongs to Ollietommyg1234 belongs to Ollietommyg1234 belongs to Ollietommyg1234 belongs to Ollietommyg1234 belongs to Ollietommyg1234 belongs to Ollietommyg1234 belongs to Ollietommyg1234 belongs to Ollietommyg1234 belongs to Ollietommyg1234 belongs to Ollietommyg1234 belongs to Ollie
Quote:
Done with explaining - you are clueless. You have no common sense. Adios.
Please explain why I'm clueless and have no common sense. Funnily enough I have the same opinion of you.