Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 10-03-2017, 11:47 PM

Lukey. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLukey. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLukey. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLukey. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLukey. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLukey. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLukey. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLukey. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLukey. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLukey. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLukey. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltic eagle View Post
You might get cheaper accommodation in Fife or out stirling way. Good train service and the edinburgh to Glasgow run a later train too so you could look at accommodation in Glasgow, Falkirk or Linlithgow. Also if there are any Live palace games you can meet up with the scotch branch (we ain't as mad as some on here make us out to be)
Airbnb it. Can be pretty close and cheap as chips if there is a bunch of you.
Did it last year and was about £90 each for 3 nights and we had access to a pool, sauna, gym etc.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:35 AM

Selhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is here
Stay in Leith. Drink in the Port of Leith pub (if it's still going) and be prepared to dance, sing and sometimes fight.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:46 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
Flights and an Airbnb apartment in New Town now booked for four nights, roll on August.

Accommodation was predictably pricey but used avios to book the flights so they cost very little, decided to fork out for somewhere that's walking distance from everywhere.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:59 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoz View Post
Flights and an Airbnb apartment in New Town now booked for four nights, roll on August.

Accommodation was predictably pricey but used avios to book the flights so they cost very little, decided to fork out for somewhere that's walking distance from everywhere.
Good thinking. You'll love it. I came up for the festival 15 years ago and never went home!

The amount of performances and stuff going on around the town means you could still have a good time without going to see any shows. But, do go and see a few shows as it'll add to a memorable holiday.

Maybe see you around then while you're up. If it coincides with a Palace match then arrangements will be made.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 15-08-2017, 05:50 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
Anyone seen anything good?

This is what I have booked to see over the next few days:

Barry Cryer and Ronnie Golden, Just the two at six (Wednesday)
Mark Steel, Every little thing's gonna be alright (Wednesday)
Andy Zaltzman, Satirist for hire (Thursday)
Lewis Schaffer, Unopened letters from my mother (Thursday)
Sage Francis and B. Dolan, Tricknology (Friday)
Brendon Burns and Craig Quartermaine, Race off (Saturday)
Old 15-08-2017, 07:54 PM

keltic eagle Sam the man is herekeltic eagle Sam the man is herekeltic eagle Sam the man is herekeltic eagle Sam the man is herekeltic eagle Sam the man is herekeltic eagle Sam the man is herekeltic eagle Sam the man is herekeltic eagle Sam the man is herekeltic eagle Sam the man is herekeltic eagle Sam the man is herekeltic eagle Sam the man is here
Mark steel was excellent mate. Saw him last tuesday. Had a spare ticket aswell as exiled Stirling cried off. I meant to put a shout out on here but didn't get around to it. He mentions palace so you need to shout EAGLES. His son Elliot is also worth a look
To view the link you have to Register or Login. Elliots is a smaller venue and he also mentions palace. Stayed quiet though as there weren't many there and didn't want to put him off his stride. My son shouted out last year and it put him off a bit

Last edited by keltic eagle; 15-08-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 16-08-2017, 05:52 AM

Marki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMarki came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Went last week and saw Mark Thomas, Simon Evans, James Acaster, Tim Vine, Tom Allen, John Robins, Sara Pascoe, Thunderbards, Tape Face Boy, Dan Cook, Ivo Graham and Late Night Gimp Fight.

All good shows!
Old 18-08-2017, 10:05 AM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Lewis Schaffer - Unopened Letters From my Mother (Laughing Horse @ The Counting House, Edinburgh Fringe).

"Each day the London-based New York comic will read an unopened letter from his mother, sent before she died alone in New York. 'Stands at the edge of metaphorical precipice"

Lewis Schaffer is a Jewish New Yorker who relocated to London where he has two young children and an unhappy marriage. His elderly mother writes him letters from home, this pile of unopened letters were written about fifteen years ago. He didn't open them at the time firstly because she is talking about coming to London and he didn't feel that he and his family could cope with that, and secondly because she is crazy (she once tried to run his father over, only for the victim to just get out of the way, it turned out not to be his father after all but a stranger who looked slightly similar). His mother eventually dies after moving between a succession of mental health institutions.

The format of the show is that after an amusing introduction that explains his and his mother's position in more detail than my brief introduction above he opens and reads out one of the letters. This is followed by a Q&A session. By its nature each show is going to be completely different, the letter he opened last night was a cheerful upbeat one, though some of them are pretty harrowing.

An unsettling show, the performer doesn't come across as a particularly likeable person but he is very open and honest about his past, he has issues with women and he quite obviously has issues with his mother. Nevertheless the show is funny and poignant.

Rating (my own) 4/5.

Last edited by Smoz; 18-08-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 18-08-2017, 10:07 AM

tsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The free stuff is always more fun that the stuff you pay for.

Pro Tip: Hang around the bars in the venues and you occasionally get free tickets to shows that need filling up.
Old 20-08-2017, 11:05 AM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Crammed in eleven shows in four days, hectic but good fun, hoping to return next year. Will try and put a few brief reviews on this thread later.

My final show had a couple of CPFC connections, the performer was Ed Night (Palace supporter and occasional guest on FYP podcast), also a very glamorous looking Eddie Izzard was in the audience.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:00 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

After popping my festival cherry last year I have booked up to go back this summer. There are a few of us going this time staying in an airbnb in the new town, a four bedroom apartment by Drummond Place.

Roll on August.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:18 PM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoz View Post
After popping my festival cherry last year I have booked up to go back this summer. There are a few of us going this time staying in an airbnb in the new town, a four bedroom apartment by Drummond Place.

Roll on August.
It's addictive. Went four years on the trot back in the mid-nineties. Great memories. Strangely found myself at a party at The Gilded Balloon with Steve Coogan and Clair Grogan amongst others via a Palace supporting C4 employee mate. Mark Lamarr was a loud mouth attention seeking tw@t unsurprsingly.

Waiting for the kids to bugger off so I can start going again. *tick tock tick tock..*
Old 11-03-2018, 10:04 PM

saxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
My apartment is available to rent on AirBnB...
Old 11-03-2018, 10:32 PM

audreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is here
I used to enjoy sitting on the top of Arthur's seat watching random drunk blokes fighting below...it was hilarious, you could watch them stumble from drunk bloke fight to drunk bloke fight like some sort of computer game....Lothian Road when the pubs kick out used to be like a wild west movie...i hope things haven't changed??
Old 11-03-2018, 10:36 PM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreytatou View Post
I used to enjoy sitting on the top of Arthur's seat watching random drunk blokes fighting below...it was hilarious, you could watch them stumble from drunk bloke fight to drunk bloke fight like some sort of computer game....Lothian Road when the pubs kick out used to be like a wild west movie...i hope things haven't changed??
finally this thread has found a reason to recommend Alloa
Old 11-03-2018, 10:43 PM
rusty body, strong engine

stamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am Phibian View Post

Waiting for the kids to bugger off so I can start going again. *tick tock tick tock..*
Always enjoyed taking the kids. Obviously had to be a bit selective and my youngest, who was 11 at the time, was once chucked out of a Chris Addison show for being too young. Now the ‘kids’ are 17 and 20 we can go as a family to the drunken late nighters!
Old 11-03-2018, 11:42 PM

audreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post
finally this thread has found a reason to recommend Alloa
Old 12-03-2018, 12:00 AM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
When we went mant years ago, we stayed on the halls at the university.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:21 AM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Early bird train tickets are on sale now, booked ours now £75 return London to Edinburgh, first class on the way up, standard on the way home.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:27 AM
rusty body, strong engine

stamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is here
The dilemma is always whether to wait until later in August when the reviews are in or to take pot luck early on and take advantage of the 2 for 1s.