Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 06-06-2019, 04:21 PM
You looking at me?

Terrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is here
Submariners must have had nerves of steel, even setting foot in a modern submarine, which in comparison was a spacious palace made me claustrophobic. Let alone spending weeks at sea in combat staring a watery grave in the eye.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:46 PM

Eastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
A few pics from the first couple of days over here-1st pic where my dad came ashore, 2nd is truck he drove, 3rd and 4th is from st mere egliseTo view the link you have to Register or LoginTo view the link you have to Register or LoginTo view the link you have to Register or LoginTo view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 06-06-2019, 04:48 PM

Mike Elwiss is just too good for youMike Elwiss is just too good for youMike Elwiss is just too good for youMike Elwiss is just too good for youMike Elwiss is just too good for youMike Elwiss is just too good for youMike Elwiss is just too good for youMike Elwiss is just too good for youMike Elwiss is just too good for youMike Elwiss is just too good for youMike Elwiss is just too good for you
To view the link you have to Register or Login

Harry Billinge ... what a man !!
Old 06-06-2019, 04:48 PM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrace Bickle View Post
Submariners must have had nerves of steel, even setting foot in a modern submarine, which in comparison was a spacious palace made me claustrophobic. Let alone spending weeks at sea in combat staring a watery grave in the eye.
If you haven't seen the brilliant Das Boot yet I strongly recommend and really hope you do. You will never forget it.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:49 PM

Eastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Only thing I would say is that because of Trump coming today the French have locked down the area 50 mile radius from 6am until 11pm tonight so no hope of getting to the British or main American areas today unless you want to get up at 4am to beat the blockage!
Old 06-06-2019, 04:51 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
My father joined the Royal Navy on his 15th birthday in 1930 and after 18 months at HMS Ganges (the short based training school for the lower deck) spent two years on HMS Hood. He served on destroyers for the rest of his 15 years which included the World war 2 - North Atlantic and Gibraltar convoys, Dunkirk (6 trips to pick up troops), the Indian Ocean and the Far East.

As a kid I would go with him to Navy Days in Portsmouth every year but the one type of ship he would never set foot in was a submarine. This was partly because he'd spent a lot of the war trying to sink them but mostly because one of his younger brothers had been killed when his cruiser had been torpedoed in the South Atlantic.

But my brother in law was happy to go to sea on a Polaris submarine for months at a time - spending a large part of 22 years service under water (and even on the relatively modern Polaris when you were on duty another matelot would be sleeping in the bunk that you would be sleeping in later). Not for the faint hearted.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:18 PM
You looking at me?

Terrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is hereTerrace Bickle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am Phibian View Post
If you haven't seen the brilliant Das Boot yet I strongly recommend and really hope you do. You will never forget it.
I wish I hadn't, as it's that good, but I have watch it several times. I hope the modern sequel has done it justice.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:20 PM
Zuffenhausen

917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here
Quote:
My late dad was a wartime submariner.

He was an Asdic operator on HMS Trusty, Sea Devil and Umbra. Though he mainly associated his service with Trusty

He never spoke a great deal about his service, unless he'd had too much to drink (very rare) and then only when he was much older

The most upsetting experience he had was the bombing of HMS Collingwood, which was erased from history for a long time. He was stationed there at the time but fortunately on leave when it occurred.

Old 06-06-2019, 05:23 PM
Keep St George

King William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Went to the beaches for 65th & 70th.

Went to Pompey for the day today. Off to Southwick House Sunday (where all the planning was carried out in the Map room)

Blaugrana al vent,
un crit valent
Tenim un nom, el sap tothom
Barça, Barça, Barça
Old 06-06-2019, 05:23 PM
Zuffenhausen

917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here
Quote:
I wish I hadn't, as it's that good, but I have watch it several times. I hope the modern sequel has done it justice.
The modern follow on isn't really on the same level at all (though it's still very good imo)

It's a good story, with half of it based on land, but there is none of the sheer terror of the original film.

Just treat it as a wartime series based around a U Boat and its base in France and its a good watch. It really isn't in an way comparable to Das Boot though
Old 06-06-2019, 05:25 PM

Coastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is here
Band Of Brothers is worth re-watching.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:27 PM
You looking at me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybegood View Post

My dad fought at Jadotville in the Congo, of the 157 men that fought with him there were atleast 10 suicides. They were fighting against a force (Mercs & Katangans) estimated to number between 3000- 4000. Then they became prisoners of war for 6 weeks. They made a film out of it which told the story reasonably accurately unfortunately with a bit of spicing up to 'sell it'
It's on Netflix, I watched it earlier this year. I'd not known about the battle until then. The film is OK, but unfortunately they couldn't resist a corny ending. Hat's off to your dad and his comrades as the situation seemed a little like Rourke's Drift in numbers.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:29 PM

Coastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Boy View Post
A few pics from the first couple of days over here-1st pic where my dad came ashore, 2nd is truck he drove, 3rd and 4th is from st mere egliseTo view the link you have to Register or LoginTo view the link you have to Register or LoginTo view the link you have to Register or LoginTo view the link you have to Register or Login
Great photos.
Thank you very much.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:10 PM

Good show on BBC2 now.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:39 PM

Johnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is here
Quote:
It's on Netflix, I watched it earlier this year. I'd not known about the battle until then. The film is OK, but unfortunately they couldn't resist a corny ending. Hat's off to your dad and his comrades as the situation seemed a little like Rourke's Drift in numbers.
Tks....agreed about the corny ending and some of the scenes were more Hollywood than wartime Congo, but i suppose they had to make it more palatable for the audience.

Some incredible stories on here, must admit the thought of being a sub-mariner would be very frightening, but wherever they were on day day took a lot of bravery
Old 06-06-2019, 08:52 PM

dogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskin Old Boy View Post
My father joined the Royal Navy on his 15th birthday in 1930 and after 18 months at HMS Ganges (the short based training school for the lower deck) spent two years on HMS Hood. He served on destroyers for the rest of his 15 years which included the World war 2 - North Atlantic and Gibraltar convoys, Dunkirk (6 trips to pick up troops), the Indian Ocean and the Far East.

As a kid I would go with him to Navy Days in Portsmouth every year but the one type of ship he would never set foot in was a submarine. This was partly because he'd spent a lot of the war trying to sink them but mostly because one of his younger brothers had been killed when his cruiser had been torpedoed in the South Atlantic.

But my brother in law was happy to go to sea on a Polaris submarine for months at a time - spending a large part of 22 years service under water (and even on the relatively modern Polaris when you were on duty another matelot would be sleeping in the bunk that you would be sleeping in later). Not for the faint hearted.
I used to work with an ex submariner, and more recently have got to know a few from working with the Royal Navy, they're a unique breed
Old 07-06-2019, 09:45 AM

steeleye20 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteeleye20 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteeleye20 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteeleye20 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteeleye20 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteeleye20 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteeleye20 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteeleye20 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteeleye20 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteeleye20 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteeleye20 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Old 07-06-2019, 10:44 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Remarkable fact:
Old 08-06-2019, 12:38 PM

legaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietlegaleagle2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
It's not as good unfortunately and 50% is set on land but it would be very hard to top the original

***Apologies,hadn't seen 917L's prior post when I posted***

Last edited by legaleagle2; 08-06-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:33 PM
Hadron Collider

in-exile has disabled reputation
Good video from forces TV.