Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 23-04-2015, 07:56 PM
T-T-T-T-Techno Boogie

FraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Career change/retraining/adult apprenticeship

I've worked in an office my entire working life in pretty low grade positions and after some recent health issues I've decided it's no longer for me. In fact I despise it. I'm now approaching 32 and have to make a change.

I would love to get a trade or retrain and wondered if anyone has an hands on experience of doing this at a later stage in life?

One draw back is I don't drive but I am starting to learn once I'm feeling a bit better which should open up more opportunities.
Old 23-04-2015, 08:24 PM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
I'm thinking of doing something new soon... Shift work is slowly killing me. Good luck
Old 23-04-2015, 09:08 PM

Hal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
You're about one-third of the way through your working life. You've probably got 16 working years behind you and 35 working years in front of you. A career change at this stage is not too late. It's the equivalent of Pardew making a tactical substitution 15 minutes before half-time

Sorry I can't offer any practical advice on apprenticeships - but more and more employers and training institutions are committing to lifelong learning. Good luck
Old 23-04-2015, 09:13 PM
Got any nuts?

Wolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraserH View Post
I've worked in an office my entire working life in pretty low grade positions and after some recent health issues I've decided it's no longer for me. In fact I despise it. I'm now approaching 32 and have to make a change.

I would love to get a trade or retrain and wondered if anyone has an hands on experience of doing this at a later stage in life?

One draw back is I don't drive but I am starting to learn once I'm feeling a bit better which should open up more opportunities.
A friend of mine recently left the inland revenue after health issues. She was a relatively senior manager.......she's now a Postie and loving it.

I don't know if it's the sort of thing you're after but it definitely gets you out of the office! If there are no apprenticeships available it may be a stop gap option. Best of luck.

Cricket wanker.
Old 23-04-2015, 09:35 PM

bestperch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebestperch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebestperch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebestperch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebestperch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebestperch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebestperch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebestperch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebestperch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebestperch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebestperch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
My wife has recently gone about a complete career change after 20 years with the same employer. She gained some of the experience needed in her spare time and took on a small student loan to get the formal qualifications ,encouraged by me and the kids, because life's too short to spend years doing something that's making you miserable.
Good luck mate!
Old 19-03-2018, 11:53 PM
Heshlo Kitty

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
Did you get around to changing things FraserH?

The reason I’ve bumped this thread is that I find myself in a similar position. I’m 30, have an ok paid job (£34k) in social media but I feel myself resenting it more each day. It doesn’t help that my boss, and his boss, are both appalling people managers.

I feel like I would love a complete career change, even if it meant a hefty initial pay cut. But I have no idea where to seek advice on this...

Do careers advisors still exist? And if so, are they better than the rubbish one I had at school who simply asked me what my hobbies were, and then suggested trying to get a job in sports or music

A job where I’m more active would be great. Whether that’s a trade or working outside, just something where I’m not stuck behind a desk for the entirety of the day.
Old 20-03-2018, 12:00 AM
Woah Woah Woah

gilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is here
Also interested to hear the outcome. I’ve been in financial roles majority of my career, having started my accountancy exams - last job was head of Finance at a media company for almost 6 years. Quit at the start of the year due to a few reasons, but mainly it was making me pretty miserable - have been looking for similar roles elsewhere since but part of me thinks maybe I need a complete change as I don’t think such finance is getting the best out of me. But I have no idea where to start, it’s really tough
Old 20-03-2018, 12:14 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Looks like FraserH's hand was forced a month after starting this thread:

To view the link you have to Register or Login

And a new job:

Old 20-03-2018, 12:21 AM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
Well he’s still posting in 2018 so it looks like things are working out. I hope so, I always prefer happy endings.

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Member of the Strange Aircraft Clique
16th December 2018
Old 20-03-2018, 01:09 AM
South Penge Massive

elgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva View Post

The reason Iíve bumped this thread is that I find myself in a similar position. Iím 30, have an ok paid job (£34k) in social media but I feel myself resenting it more each day. It doesnít help that my boss, and his boss, are both appalling people managers.

I feel like I would love a complete career change, even if it meant a hefty initial pay cut. But I have no idea where to seek advice on this...

Do careers advisors still exist? And if so, are they better than the rubbish one I had at school who simply asked me what my hobbies were, and then suggested trying to get a job in sports or music

A job where Iím more active would be great. Whether thatís a trade or working outside, just something where Iím not stuck behind a desk for the entirety of the day.
How about retraining as an assasin? Failing that, managing a fuel depot in the Sudan?

Who funds the anti russia propaganda site bellingcat? http://newsvideo.su/video/9455566
Pretty obvious really.
Old 20-03-2018, 06:50 AM
Heshlo Kitty

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
Looks like FraserH's hand was forced a month after starting this thread:

And a new job:

Interesting. In actuality, redundancy for me would be brilliant. The pay-off would currently be just under £13k and with my savings, I would have enough to not work for well over a year. Iíd like to think that within that timeframe, I would be able to sort out a career that Iíd be interested in.
Old 20-03-2018, 06:51 AM
Heshlo Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgin eagle View Post
How about retraining as an assasin? Failing that, managing a fuel depot in the Sudan?
Judging by your recent thread, I think I should set up some sort of hair loss travel agency
Old 20-03-2018, 07:45 AM
South Penge Massive

elgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Judging by your recent thread, I think I should set up some sort of hair loss travel agency
You jest, but I reckon you could do worse

That's going to be a growth industry

Who funds the anti russia propaganda site bellingcat? http://newsvideo.su/video/9455566
Pretty obvious really.
Old 20-03-2018, 08:03 AM
Snidey little rat.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
I retrained twice, once when I was in one of the worse sales jobs I have ever had (WŁrth UK) I retrained for my HGV licence, then again, when I was working for a shithouse run airport transfer company, I retrained as an English teacher.

The BBS - Where Briighton trolls have imaginary lawyers.
Old 20-03-2018, 08:16 AM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
My dream is to be able to do a real mundane job... Iíve got a friend who delivers meals on wheels... he seems so much happier than me... even though I probably earn 5x what he does. He has breakfast/dinner with his family every day... gets every weekend off together... has a routine... all the things you sacrifice for shift work.
Old 20-03-2018, 08:47 AM
Heshlo Kitty

I do shift work and I don’t mind it. You get a lot of days off compared to 9-5ers, though nights certainly make you question if it’s worth it

I think a mundane job is ok for a while, but not long-term. I would say my job has been mundane for a few years because I’ve been doing it for too long. Because our team is now being treated like shit by management, it’s time for me to make a change.
Old 20-03-2018, 08:57 AM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:

The reason Iíve bumped this thread is that I find myself in a similar position. Iím 30, have an ok paid job (£34k) in social media but I feel myself resenting it more each day. It doesnít help that my boss, and his boss, are both appalling people managers.

A job where Iím more active would be great. Whether thatís a trade or working outside, just something where Iím not stuck behind a desk for the entirety of the day.
It seems weird that so often poor people managers become bosses. Who makes these decisions?
Old 20-03-2018, 09:03 AM
Up On The Triangle

fang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is here
I've always fancied forestry or dry stonewalling but I'm struggling to find opportunities in South London.
Old 20-03-2018, 09:09 AM
Doting Grandfather

BaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Thought about changing careers a few times over the years but never did it as couldn't afford to start at the bottom again. Not the worst decisions ever made as now looking forward to retiring after some 45 years in the hotel industry.
Old 20-03-2018, 09:13 AM
Dougie 21/03/2007

milky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmilky87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I got bored of sitting behind a desk all day every day. 4 years ago I decided to become the oldest apprentice electrician in the south east. Best thing I have ever done, I enjoy my work now.

I had to start on very poor wages which was the only downfall