Home | Forums | Galleries | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 20-02-2019, 06:31 AM
Class Swot.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Reminds me that I really must get round to reading The Pillars Of The Earth.
That is hugely popular in Spanish petrol stations for some reason.

Join the "Maidstoned for mod!" campaign (satire)
Old 20-02-2019, 06:35 AM
I am a Bad Man

RazorsEdge has disabled reputation
Conan the Barbarian.
Old 20-02-2019, 07:02 AM
moist

chelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
The new Stephen King book (The Institute - not out until September) looks interesting.

I've just started re-reading The Godfather by Mario Puzo. Fantastic.
A top ten ever book for me and one of only a handful of books I have read more than once.
Old 20-02-2019, 08:48 AM
Veteran

JJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
That is hugely popular in Spanish petrol stations for some reason.
Is this a whoosh moment that I'm failing to get?
Old 20-02-2019, 05:47 PM

Dave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDave McGregor : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
When the nazis came by Stephen Matthews. About the occupation of Guernsey & transportation of the residents to camps in Germany. Very good.
Old 20-02-2019, 06:09 PM

big bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bald-eagle View Post
just finished sam alladyce autobiography - what a boring pile of "look how good I am" shite

He was very good at blaming everyone else and spending other peoples money. Was very mean towards the old Bolton owner (garford??) The fact he mentions that he took Beckham out for dinner to try and use his influence to get the England job just shows how shameless the man is. To his utter dismay McClaren was given the job.
Old 21-02-2019, 07:38 AM
Class Swot.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Is this a whoosh moment that I'm failing to get?
Nope. It really is very popular in Spa ish petrol stations, you see a copy of it for sale in almost every one you go into

Join the "Maidstoned for mod!" campaign (satire)
Old 21-02-2019, 02:30 PM
Ex-Connecticut

CT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is here
Anyone see this?

To view the link you have to Register or Login

I have read 3 of those mentioned: Wasp Factory, The Kindly Ones and American Psycho, which of the 3 was by far the most disturbing. Actually, I say disturbing, but really I was very concerned for Brett Easter Ellis, I reckoned he must be a closet psycho.
Old 21-02-2019, 03:36 PM
Otis McOtis

Thanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I remember reading American Psycho when it came out and did give me nightmares at the time !

Hot summer's day and sticky black tarmac, feeding ducks in the park and wishing you were far away -
Paul Weller
Old 21-02-2019, 08:29 PM

cappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
On paper- Queen Anne The Politics Of Passion by Anne Somerset.
On Kindle - Sherlock Holmes And The Case Of The Twain Papers by Roger Riccard.
Old 22-02-2019, 10:49 AM
thoughtful & kind..

The Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Palace View Post
Anyone see this?

I have read 3 of those mentioned: Wasp Factory, The Kindly Ones and American Psycho, which of the 3 was by far the most disturbing. Actually, I say disturbing, but really I was very concerned for Brett Easter Ellis, I reckoned he must be a closet psycho.
American Psycho is far and away the most disturbing book I've ever read. I got to within 50 pages of the end and couldn't finish it.
Old 22-02-2019, 02:42 PM

Icy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIcy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Palace View Post
Anyone see this?

American Psycho is one of my favorites.
Didn't enjoy the Kindly ones however it was well written and intriguing.
The wind up bird chronicle is one of Murakami's best books and has no place on this list
Blood Meridian and The Road are excellent for very different reasons (and The Road is a much easier read.
Guts was pretty funny and disgusting for a short story.
The Room was excellent despite being pretty ****ed up and i much preferred it to Last Exit from Brooklyn.

Last edited by Icy; 08-03-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 26-02-2019, 06:58 PM

lofty3rgj : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelofty3rgj : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelofty3rgj : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelofty3rgj : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelofty3rgj : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelofty3rgj : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelofty3rgj : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelofty3rgj : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelofty3rgj : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelofty3rgj : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelofty3rgj : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Just finished Moskva by Jack Grimwood.
Shenanigans in Moscow, set in mid 1980's.
A bit two paced,ok and slow, 3 out of five.
Old 26-02-2019, 07:14 PM

lofty3rgj : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelofty3rgj : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelofty3rgj : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelofty3rgj : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelofty3rgj : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelofty3rgj : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelofty3rgj : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelofty3rgj : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelofty3rgj : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelofty3rgj : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minelofty3rgj : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Just about to start, East of Hounslow by Khurrum Rahman.
Drugs, MI5 and terrorist threats, happy days...
Old 03-03-2019, 11:13 PM

Just finished East of Hounslow, save your money, awful...
Old 05-03-2019, 11:31 AM
Otis McOtis

Thanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
About to embark on Brett Anderson's early autobiography Coal Black Mornings.

Hot summer's day and sticky black tarmac, feeding ducks in the park and wishing you were far away -
Paul Weller
Old 05-03-2019, 10:19 PM

cappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcappuccinoeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
On Kindle, just started The Great Gatsby.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:48 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinoeagle View Post
On Kindle, just started The Great Gatsby.
I read it a couple of years ago. I don't recall too much about what I thought about it now. I think I was somewhat disappointed (I usually am with the American classics).

I recently finished Airframe by Michael Crichton. As someone who had worked in or close to the aerospace industry for 40+ years I thought technically it was very well done, and he got the politics of manufacturing v quality control v operations associated with it captured pretty well.

Where I felt it fell down was this lead character who came out of the auto industry five years prior to the timeline of the story who seems to be somewhat of an expert at every system on a full size fly by wire aircraft. Expert enough to troubleshoot, speak the lingo, while being exposed to big bosses and the media and solve/unearth the problem. Totally unbelievable in that regard.

Also, I'm no fan of unions in aerospace having a couple of personal bad experiences with them, but I find it very hard to believe a union would go as far rogue as they do in this book.

This was my first Crichton book, and I understand it is outside his normal genre. I'll give another one a try to see if I like it any better. I'm impressed on the whole with the research he must have done to write this book, as the subject matter is certainly not in an area he would be expected to be an expert in.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:04 AM
moist

chelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is herechelmsfordeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
I read it a couple of years ago. I don't recall too much about what I thought about it now. I think I was somewhat disappointed (I usually am with the American classics).

I recently finished Airframe by Michael Crichton. As someone who had worked in or close to the aerospace industry for 40+ years I thought technically it was very well done, and he got the politics of manufacturing v quality control v operations associated with it captured pretty well.

Were I felt it fell down was this lead character who came out of the auto industry five years prior to the timeline of the story who seems to be somewhat of an expert at every system on a full size fly by wire aircraft. Expert enough to troubleshoot, speak the lingo, while being exposed to big bosses and the media and solve/unearth the problem. Totally unbelievable in that regard.

Also, I'm no fan of unions in aerospace having a couple of personal bad experiences with them, but I find it very hard to believe a union would go as far rogue as they do in this book.

This was my first Crichton book, and I understand it is outside his normal genre. I'll give another one a try to see if I like it any better. I'm impressed on the whole with the research he must have done to write this book, as the subject matter is certainly not in an area he would be expected to be an expert in.
This, in general I find classics very underwhelming.

As for Michael Crichton. I have read nearly all of his books. Airframe is somewhere in the middle in terms of enjoyment for me. I read most of them many years ago and possibly some have aged worse than others but I remember really enjoying Jurassic Park, The Great Train Robbery, State of Fear and Congo. Looking at wiki the only book I remember not liking was Prey. I do most of my reading whilst commuting and I find he is a great commuter read, engaging and easy to pick up and carry on with.

Edit, Pirate Latitudes was also a bit shit.

Last edited by chelmsfordeagle; 06-03-2019 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:26 AM
Veteran

JJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJJ came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I enjoyed Jurassic Park too. The character of John Hammond is quite different to the one played by Richard Attenbrough.