Home | Forums | Galleries | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 07-02-2019, 09:49 AM

delboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Judging by the figures I've stuck in there are lot of people moaning for moaning's sake on here. Every single vehicle input is about a quarter of the headline lease cost when broken down monthly, and that's without the extra you'd pay in servicing etc if you owned the vehicle.
Not so sure about that. This year I'm paying £4300 which is dead money. If I purchased and ran my own I would get mileage allowance no tax and £250/month after tax and ni.

That equates to a saving of £7300/a to spend on a car. And I would still have the car at the end of the period.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:15 AM
Danger Zone

Stavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy01 View Post
Wait a while merecedes are bringing out a diesel hybrid. In the summer. Will suit you perfectly.
Thanks
Old 07-02-2019, 10:22 AM
A Fish without a Bike

sw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is here
Quote:
So my wife has a car. I would need another car as a van is not suitable for a family man where do I park the van?
Why can you not use your wife's car for family things? One work van and one car used by your wife for work and by the family at other times? Or do you really need a car when she is at work?

A Trust is for life not just for Crisis
Old 07-02-2019, 10:56 AM

delboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw16girl View Post
Why can you not use your wife's car for family things? One work van and one car used by your wife for work and by the family at other times? Or do you really need a car when she is at work?
Well I need one to go footy for a start. Plus we live in the sticks. Not sure she would be happy if I buggered off in the only car all day sat or Sunday.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:18 AM
A Fish without a Bike

sw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is here
Quote:
Well I need one to go footy for a start. Plus we live in the sticks. Not sure she would be happy if I buggered off in the only car all day sat or Sunday.
But if it is just you then you could use the van - that isn't a family man activity - and tax on a van is much more generous. If you prefer a car then fair enough but then its a decision you are making and the tax is part of that decision.

Old 07-02-2019, 01:56 PM

CamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Perfect summary and those numbers are pretty much mine for 2019/20. If I get shot of the company car and buy a 3 year old ex lease 3 series or similar and keep it for 3 years, I would be roughly £16k better off including resale value.

Company cars are a burden rather than a benefit nowadays and it's getting worse.

Quote:
Not so sure about that. This year I'm paying £4300 which is dead money. If I purchased and ran my own I would get mileage allowance no tax and £250/month after tax and ni.

That equates to a saving of £7300/a to spend on a car. And I would still have the car at the end of the period.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:10 PM
Bring Back Elgin

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamberleyEagle View Post
Perfect summary and those numbers are pretty much mine for 2019/20. If I get shot of the company car and buy a 3 year old ex lease 3 series or similar and keep it for 3 years, I would be roughly £16k better off including resale value.

Company cars are a burden rather than a benefit nowadays and it's getting worse.
Are you factoring in insurance, service, breakdown, tyres etc ?

The one thing I like about having a Co Car is the lack of hassle compared to having your own or leasing. I do about 22,000 miles a year so it makes loads of sense to have a Co Car rather than take the cash equivalent
Old 07-02-2019, 02:18 PM
Danger Zone

Stavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksop Palace View Post

The one thing I like about having a Co Car is the lack of hassle compared to having your own or leasing. I do about 22,000 miles a year so it makes loads of sense to have a Co Car rather than take the cash equivalent
Do you know the millage on a standard car (eg BMW 3 series for example) when it becomes beneficial to get a company car?
Old 07-02-2019, 02:29 PM
Bring Back Elgin

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavros 69 View Post
Do you know the millage on a standard car (eg BMW 3 series for example) when it becomes beneficial to get a company car?
No i don’t mate, not specifically

I think if you do more than 15k business miles a year it (generally) makes sense to have a full co car

In my opinion. Nothing particularly scientific in that
Old 07-02-2019, 02:46 PM
Danger Zone

Quote:
No i don’t mate, not specifically

I think if you do more than 15k business miles a year it (generally) makes sense to have a full co car

In my opinion. Nothing particularly scientific in that
Cheers
Old 07-02-2019, 04:46 PM

CamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCamberleyEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Yes, the whole lot.

I agree that it's nice to know with a company car that the hassles of servicing etc are someone else's problem but the numbers don't stack up. My company car is 3.5 years old now and the BIK has increased by 25% in that time.

Also my journey to and from work has deteriorated to the point that I now fecking hate driving and so I don't really get any joy out of having a (moderately) flash car!

Quote:

Old 07-02-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
But if it is just you then you could use the van - that isn't a family man activity - and tax on a van is much more generous. If you prefer a car then fair enough but then its a decision you are making and the tax is part of that decision.
So what do I do with my mates, grandkids, and daughter? Stick em on the roof rake?

Everyone that has a co car has agreed with me.

And re. the tax. The tax when you look forward when you get the car is not what actually happens. They change the rules and rates regularly.

I found my p11D for the year I first got my car. Its got 105 co2 which at that time was good. I lost £3650 of my tax allowance. This coming year, 3 years later its £9050. A 250% increase.

That's a piss take by anyone's standard and it can no longer be classed as a benefit. However, due to my role I have to have a car. I'm not allowed to have a van. I have to have a car with a large boot I can't have a petrol. I can't have electric.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:59 AM

ob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietob13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
i am getting my first company car delivered today. Its just a fiesta and we dont get a choice other than adding extras. The jobs a few grand more than i was on plus the car so even taking account of extra tax for car i will still earn a bit more i think and have a car to use without servicing,tyres etc to worry about.
The job is physically easier and i hopefully should be able to keep doing it for a long time where as i am not sure i could have comfortably managed my previous job for all that much longer.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:58 AM
A Fish without a Bike

Quote:
So what do I do with my mates, grandkids, and daughter? Stick em on the roof rake?

Everyone that has a co car has agreed with me.

And re. the tax. The tax when you look forward when you get the car is not what actually happens. They change the rules and rates regularly.

I found my p11D for the year I first got my car. Its got 105 co2 which at that time was good. I lost £3650 of my tax allowance. This coming year, 3 years later its £9050. A 250% increase.

That's a piss take by anyone's standard and it can no longer be classed as a benefit. However, due to my role I have to have a car. I'm not allowed to have a van. I have to have a car with a large boot I can't have a petrol. I can't have electric.
Ok - didn't realise your wife was the only one not going to Palace - make her come too then

I can see it is difficult and really your firm should offer a cash alternative so you can do what others on here have.

Old 11-02-2019, 12:26 PM

I now have a cunning plan. lol.

Dozens of engineers are close to retirement. If they retire before the lease is up on their cars the company has to reallocate them to other people as they have to pay the lease until its end. So they end up paying for cars sitting in a compound.

ergo, it makes sense to offer car allowance to those close to retirement as the company wont have to worry about reallocating the car.

Guess what! I'm 61 this year!

feel free to nick this idea if you are in the same position.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:58 PM

BTW A colleague rang me today in tears as he now has a -£3000 tax code.

So he has to pay tax on earnings he has not yet earned!!!

When he got his car 3 years ago he lost £5200 off his tax code. Its now £15500. He has a big expensive car but never expected this. He also pays £195 to the company. Which after tax relief equals an extra. £120/m.

So he now pays £7640/Y for his 'benefit' TBH I don't have a lot of sympathy as I did warn him but even so that's insane.

Luckily for him the 40% tax band has increased this year. He will pay 40% tax (plus 12% NI) on everything over £34,000. Its painful to say the least.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Ok - didn't realise your wife was the only one not going to Palace - make her come too then

I can see it is difficult and really your firm should offer a cash alternative so you can do what others on here have.
I can't repeat what my wife said...……..
Old 11-02-2019, 04:01 PM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
BTW A colleague rang me today in tears as he now has a -£3000 tax code.

So he has to pay tax on earnings he has not yet earned!!!

When he got his car 3 years ago he lost £5200 off his tax code. Its now £15500. He has a big expensive car but never expected this. He also pays £195 to the company. Which after tax relief equals an extra. £120/m.

So he now pays £7640/Y for his 'benefit' TBH I don't have a lot of sympathy as I did warn him but even so that's insane.

Luckily for him the 40% tax band has increased this year. He will pay 40% tax (plus 12% NI) on everything over £34,000. Its painful to say the least.
IIRC for FY20, 40% is post £50k and it is only 2% of NI post 50k.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
IIRC for FY20, 40% is post £50k and it is only 2% of NI post 50k.
Sorry but that is incorrect.

This is a common misconception the £50K limit includes the tax code allowance of 12.5K ie. without that it starts at £37.5

For my collegue with a -£3k tax code it therefore starts at £34.5. For me its £40.5.

You can confirm that using the link below.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

The Higher limit for NI payments is indeed £50K but that has increased by 9% from this tax year. This means that this is again another stealth tax increase. As very few of us will have got a 9% pay increase.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:32 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Sorry but that is incorrect.

This is a common misconception the £50K limit includes the tax code allowance of 12.5K ie. without that it starts at £37.5

For my collegue with a -£3k tax code it therefore starts at £34.5. For me its £40.5.

You can confirm that using the link below.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

The Higher limit for NI payments is indeed £50K but that has increased by 9% from this tax year. This means that this is again another stealth tax increase. As very few of us will have got a 9% pay increase.
It is not incorrect, and I don't need to look at your website.

You're getting confused between personal allowance and PAYE coding. You still get a personal allowance of £12.5k (unless you earn over £100k when it starts to reduce). The reality is you have taxable non-cash income of whatever your car BIK amount is, and that has impacted your PAYE coding because your employer has payrolled your benefits. If you do a tax return it will still show personal allowance (unless your earn over £125k) and BIK amounts (company cars goes in box nine, form sa102) separately.

The 40% tax rate kicks in for FY20 at £50k income for everyone apart from his earners. The BIK is income even if you don't feel that for you it is much of a benefit. I get taxed on my employers pension contributions made on my behalf, so much so that they are not really a benefit to me at all, but I cannot reasonably argue they are not part of my earnings, my package, because they are. same for you and your car. it's income.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.

Last edited by Adlerhorst; 12-02-2019 at 05:35 AM.