Home | Forums | Galleries | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 10-02-2019, 03:20 PM
Glad all over

dannyturner has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!dannyturner has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!dannyturner has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!dannyturner has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!dannyturner has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!dannyturner has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!dannyturner has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!dannyturner has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!dannyturner has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!dannyturner has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!dannyturner has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!
Disneyís River Country water park...🤪
Old 10-02-2019, 03:21 PM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bintang View Post
East Berlin
In the late 1950ís I lived in West Berlin, British Sector. My dad was stationed there. One day the family went to the Russian Sector. Went along Stalinallee, which was pretty much restored. But we turned off down a side street and I remember all the still bombed-out buildings. Finished up at a War Cemetery, maybe Treptower, and remember the guide pointing out different mounds and telling us how many thousands were buried in each one.

World Trade Center
Back in mid 1980ís went to the top of the WTC. Pretty windy and exposed up there, but great views. Mind you didnít go too near the edge.

Too many clubs, pubs and bars to list, but I did visit Studio54 once, but thatís another story.

So, what places have all you BBSers visited that don't exist anymore?

East Berlin, the same. Went to Berlin on a school trip in 1969. Spent a day in the East - it was like going back 50 years.

Crossed via Checkpoint Charlie. You could stand on viewing points by the wall and see over the wall into the East. The first 100 yards was open wasteland, presumably mined, to make it difficult to cross. Armed towers visible all along. Brandenburg Gate only visible in the distance over in the East.

Had to empty wallets and pockets at the checkpoint to exchange money 1:1 for Eastern currency (Western marks banned, as they were worth a lot more on the black market. Eastern stuff flimsy and almost plastic-like). Much of the East Sector not rebuilt after the war, although some parts were a bit more modern.

Also went to the Olympic Stadium for a football match. The underground still had to pass through stations now in the Eastern sector. Platforms lined 2-deep with soldiers, armed with machine guns . Needless to say, trains didn't stop.

An extremely sobering experience for a 15-year-old, and one I always be so grateful for to my parents who struggled to make it possible.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:21 PM

Purepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
As we got relegated there with Wright scoring - I'm quite glad that place has gone.
Here's what Highbury looks like now.

[
Old 10-02-2019, 03:26 PM
Thinking

Bintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BERT'S HEAD View Post
I went on that a few years back. For a couple of quid I upgraded to first class where we had a bar/bartender for our exclusive use
Very good

It probably cost 6d when i went on it.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:30 PM
Swollen Member

Twilko came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTwilko came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTwilko came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTwilko came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTwilko came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTwilko came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTwilko came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTwilko came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTwilko came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTwilko came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTwilko came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The Croydon Water Palace. Was quite a disappointed 11 year-old when it closed.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:56 PM
Thinking

Bintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by davech View Post
East Berlin, the same. Went to Berlin on a school trip in 1969. Spent a day in the East - it was like going back 50 years.
Also went to the Olympic Stadium for a football match.

An extremely sobering experience for a 15-year-old, and one I always be so grateful for to my parents who struggled to make it possible.
I never saw the wall. Lived there before it was built and went back after reunification. Reason I went back was to visit my grandfather's grave. He died in WW1 in a Berlin POW hospital and buried near Potsdam. My father tried to visit when he was serving there but couldn't get permission. Sad as his father was only a 30 minute car drive away.

Went looking for the hospital he died in. No longer there. There is a school built in the 60s where it was. Went in, chatted to some teachers who were fascinated to find out what was on the site before.

Dad took me to see Manchester United play at the Olympic Stadium in 1957. Sad what happened a year later.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:00 PM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Butler View Post
Brother decided he wanted us all to commit suicide on his stag night in there with his big mouth.....
No, that was its sister club. Dr Jim Jones.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:02 PM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purepalace View Post
Here's what Highbury looks like now.

[
On the left - The shIte of Crock End?
Old 10-02-2019, 04:09 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am Phibian View Post
1987-1989 for me. You could literally live well on drachma equivalent of £8 a day - food, accommodation and going out 'til 3am every night. The place was a nice even mix of locals, Athenians, backpackers and a few tourists with no big hotels but more tavernas and pensions and hostels. It was still back then obviously a very classy and beautiful place but yet to be discovered/blighted by mass tourism.
Fair. We picked a small hotel where I think we were the only family staying there, which made it feel a bit more authentic.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:13 PM

Purepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am Phibian View Post
On the left - The shIte of Crock End?
Yep.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:37 PM

chateauferret came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchateauferret came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchateauferret came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchateauferret came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchateauferret came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchateauferret came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchateauferret came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchateauferret came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchateauferret came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchateauferret came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchateauferret came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
2 Marsham Street. Towers with concrete cancer which housed a couple of Government Departments where I used to work. They knocked them down and built new offices for the Ministry of Truth.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:42 PM

Whitehorse Terrace.
Norwood Cottage Hospital - went in with me tonsils, came out without them.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:44 PM
techno sapiens

the drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cross_eyed_ed View Post
Crystal Palace Park Adventure Playground. A Health and Safety nightmare!
Yes! Those 6 foot high single plank walkways with the nails sticking out. Happy days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIMGb0p9hrQ
Old 10-02-2019, 04:45 PM
Spottieottiedopalicious

SJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is hereSJ'sLoveMonkey Sam the man is here
Most decent record stores
Old 10-02-2019, 04:46 PM

nibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Virtually all of Gypsy Corner,Acton off the A40 with the exception of The Castle pub. Even Elizabeth Arden which had a sign at the front stating something like “Elivis Costello worked here” has disappeared.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:46 PM
techno sapiens

the drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purepalace View Post
Whitehorse Terrace.
Norwood Cottage Hospital - went in with me tonsils, came out without them.
Sheet dude. I lived next to there. Was a good story about a ghost in there. Amazing now to think there was a hospital on your doorstep to get immediate treatment for ailments. Before the super-hospital took over and you had to get a bus to a+e

Old 10-02-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the drexciyan View Post
Sheet dude. I lived next to there. Was a good story about a ghost in there. Amazing now to think there was a hospital on your doorstep to get immediate treatment for ailments. Before the super-hospital took over and you had to get a bus to a+e
Hermitage Rd ha. I remember only being about 6 and being left there on what seemed a huge ward. No such thing as mum staying with you back then. Man, we were hard!
Old 10-02-2019, 04:53 PM
techno sapiens

Beanos record shop
Mi-Price records west Croydon - practically lived there 86-89
Dulwich Hamlet old ground at Champion Hill - proper oldskool ground that
Tootings old ground
Old Highbury
Highfield Road Coventry
Holmesdale terrace of course.

I see that Rockmout Infants has been turned into a superschool. The old buildings were a nice scale.

Upper Norwood Rec, the shelter and changing rooms.

Old 10-02-2019, 04:55 PM
techno sapiens

Croydon General hospital has gone now too?

Old 10-02-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the drexciyan View Post
Beanos record shop
Mi-Price records west Croydon - practically lived there 86-89
Dulwich Hamlet old ground at Champion Hill - proper oldskool ground that
Tootings old ground
Old Highbury
Highfield Road Coventry
Holmesdale terrace of course.

I see that Rockmout Infants has been turned into a superschool. The old buildings were a nice scale.

Upper Norwood Rec, the shelter and changing rooms.
And the tennis courts??