Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Politics Forum

Notices

The Politics Forum Discussions that are wholly or mainly concerned with UK politics

Old 21-06-2019, 11:57 AM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
There is no comparison between the Prescott and Field incidents. Prescott reacted to being struck. Field attacked someone who was walking past him.
Steve, you’re making it sound like Field was resting in a deck chair on Brighton beach when he ‘attacked’ a lady who just happened to be strolling past him.

You have to consider context and her clear intention of, at the very least, reaching the table of a prominent minister and making some sort of protest.
Old 21-06-2019, 11:57 AM

Selhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post
If he was genuinely concerned that she had a knife/acid then he left himself totally exposed to such an attack by the way he confronted her.

IMO he did not see her as a danger, he was just irritated by her presence.
Yeah, I'm with this. He displays all the sort of signals I do when I'm trying to get my kids to eat their dinner. He boiled then reacted. I boil. And boil and boil and boil and boil. Then I smile. And we carry on.

And post on the BBS later.
Old 21-06-2019, 12:00 PM

Selhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is here
Hammond should get his 'man' to plant a blade in her handbag. Field will become a hero.
Old 21-06-2019, 12:01 PM

dogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
It's entirely reasonable to respond with force to a trespasser. And all trespassers can in theory offer a potential threat. Hindsight, (as has been said many times), in hindsight is a wonderful thing.

The question is the level of force. You know the drill, proportionate or not. Given the only true violent force in the incident lasts but for a second or so, and was more in the way of restraining rather than hitting, you might have a tough job arguing that it was unreasonable.

Very easy of course for us all to claim we know what we would have done in similar circumstances.
The magic word is reasonable force.

His initial actions were excessive (the throat and pillar shove. No warning, no attempt to confront or block her off (which he could easily have done) straight up, and grab her by the throat. Looks like excessive force to me.

I think most of us have probably been in more threatening situations at some point in our lives and not reacted with any violence. Whether its been some confrontation in a pub, or some such - where the threat of violence is very real.

In fairness to Mark Field, he apologised to the protester and submitted himself to the House Commission because he's aware that he over reacted. And its admirable that he has done so.
Old 21-06-2019, 12:02 PM
Only One Dougie Freedman

GrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogstar721 View Post
I've never reacted by grabbing a woman by the throat and slamming her against a pillar, either at dinner or after. I have also intervened to break up fights with less force that he used, I figure I've got a pretty good idea of what I'd do in his situation.

I love how all the defence of him is based on a hypothetical that assumes the absolute worse case scenario, and includes no real context of environmental protests, as if somehow there is an equivalence to someone trying to disrupt a speaker and a suicide bomber or shooter.

She presented no threat or threatening actions. But its ok, because its possible to imagine a scenario, where she isn't just a woman in a nice dress who's crashed the party, but a member of some sinister unknown Baader-Mienhof inspired Environmental protest group....

Even Mark Field thinks he probably over reacted.
The throat? Dunno about you but isn't the throat at the front of your neck?

The defence is based on the FACT she should not have been there, he had no idea who she is, or what she was there to do?

Is that not entirely the point though? She could have been anyone, of course most are going to be entirely non-violent. Most suicide bombers are non seemingly non violent until they press the button, otherwise everyone would run a mile as soon as they left their front doors, and their 'hit rate' would be 1?

Thomas Mair presumably looked entirely innocent before he murdered Jo Cox.

You only know she was a woman in a nice dress, gatecrashing a party (illegally trespassing at a government meeting...) posing no threat whatsoever because that is what has been revealed since? She could literally have been concealing anything? Wearing anything? She wasn't, nobody died, and she may or may not have a sore neck. That's a small price for illegally trespassing I guess.

Of course he does now, knowing she was armed with a red dress and some words, if he knew then what he does now, he'd react differently. If it turned out she had any form of weapon, he'd be hailed a hero and his reaction entirely justified
Old 21-06-2019, 12:03 PM

Jughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by strolling bones View Post
Same for the protesters who throw shit at politicians then ? Because that is actually assault .
Not the same thing they hold public office thus should be eligible for shit being thrown at them.
Old 21-06-2019, 12:06 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
I've never reacted by grabbing a woman by the throat and slamming her against a pillar, either at dinner or after. I have also intervened to break up fights with less force that he used, I figure I've got a pretty good idea of what I'd do in his situation.

I love how all the defence of him is based on a hypothetical that assumes the absolute worse case scenario, and includes no real context of environmental protests, as if somehow there is an equivalence to someone trying to disrupt a speaker and a suicide bomber or shooter.

She presented no threat or threatening actions. But its ok, because its possible to imagine a scenario, where she isn't just a woman in a nice dress who's crashed the party, but a member of some sinister unknown Baader-Mienhof inspired Environmental protest group....

Even Mark Field thinks he probably over reacted.
Extraordinary that you accuse others of opinion based on ‘a hypothetical’, and yet litter your own post with exactly that!

Information that Field himself couldn’t know in the instant he decided to stop her going past him.

Better safe than sorry I say.

There were plenty of ways for her to protest that didn’t involve going in that room, and it certainly wasn’t wise to approach the speakers’ table.

Pete79 Sam the man is herePete79 Sam the man is herePete79 Sam the man is herePete79 Sam the man is herePete79 Sam the man is herePete79 Sam the man is herePete79 Sam the man is herePete79 Sam the man is herePete79 Sam the man is herePete79 Sam the man is herePete79 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
It really is not legitimate to invade a private event, whether politicians are there or not, peacefully or otherwise.
Invade? In context of the situation, that word is vastly inappropriate.

And in terms of 'legitimacy' - well, it was a protest and needs to be considered on those terms. She wasn't trying to nick the silver. If people only ever protested 'legitimately', presumably defined by our government, we wouldn't have made any social progress during the last 200 years.

Perhaps you should consider all the kinds of protest that take place on private property or durng a private event and decide if you disagree with all of them on that basis.
Only One Dougie Freedman

GrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is here
Quote:
As a rule, armed terrorists don't politely walk past people on gaining access to a room full of potential targets. Also, there was no presentation of threat in her actions, movements or behaviour.

Whilst yes, she could potentially be carrying a grenade in her knickers, the key word in lawful determination is whether someones actions were reasonable in the context in which they occur.

Do you think its reasonable to respond with violent force, to a non-threatening individual, who has offered no threat or threatening behaviour?
As a rule?

They hardly go round advertising they are on their way to such and such a room with the intention to kill loads of people. I'm no terrorist/hit man/right or left wing extremist etc, but if I was intending to commit such an act, 'how to conceal my intentions for dummies' would be my go to guide prior to carrying it out
Old 21-06-2019, 12:08 PM

dogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayP41ace View Post
Is the reaction simply because it's a man forcefully ejecting a woman, or just overly forceful of any gender?

If a female MP had done this to a male protestor, would the reaction be equal?
I'm trying to think of an occasion where women MPs and Politicians have reacted with violence to men. I can't think of any.

But in the context, yes, but we'd likely ignore it as a society, because we adjudge women to be weaker than men, and inferior - so we'd probably be mocking the man for being assaulted by a woman.

Unless she was an MMA fighter / Pro Wrestler or some such.
Old 21-06-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead View Post
Not the same thing they hold public office thus should be eligible for shit being thrown at them.
That is a disgusting attitude.

What did you think of what tragically happened to Jo Cox?
Old 21-06-2019, 12:09 PM
Landlord

Son of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Terrorists attacking Westminster bridge and houses of parliament. Instinctive reaction to what could have been an assault on the politicians in the room. You don't know at the time what it's all about. And he took no chances.

Nothing wrong with what he did, woman or not.
Old 21-06-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayP41ace View Post
As a rule?

They hardly go round advertising they are on their way to such and such a room with the intention to kill loads of people. I'm no terrorist/hit man/right or left wing extremist etc, but if I was intending to commit such an act, 'how to conceal my intentions for dummies' would be my go to guide prior to carrying it out
Well, armed terrorists don't try to sneak their way past security, that's why they carry weapons. If you watch the full video of the protest you can see they were being restrained by security at the door, and she slipped past them (and clearly he's aware that she's part of the protest, because he confronts her).

Where as armed terrorists, when confronted, shoot / fight their way into the situation, and either take hostages (more traditional) or keep shooting until they run out of targets.
Old 21-06-2019, 12:13 PM

TennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete79 View Post
Invade? In context of the situation, that word is vastly inappropriate.

And in terms of 'legitimacy' - well, it was a protest and needs to be considered on those terms. She wasn't trying to nick the silver. If people only ever protested 'legitimately', presumably defined by our government, we wouldn't have made any social progress during the last 200 years.

Perhaps you should consider all the kinds of protest that take place on private property or durng a private event and decide if you disagree with all of them on that basis.
I completely agree that not all protests should or can be done legitimately. But by the same token when you play the game by a certain set of rules, you can't then complain when somebody ends up reacting given she was trespassing. And all Mark Field has essentially done is use force on a trespasser, where her intentions at the time were unknown, he's used force in order to gain control, restrain and escort her out.
Old 21-06-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Selhurst View Post
Terrorists attacking Westminster bridge and houses of parliament. Instinctive reaction to what could have been an assault on the politicians in the room. You don't know at the time what it's all about. And he took no chances.

Nothing wrong with what he did, woman or not.
And the equivalence between these entirely different and unrelated situations is what. Seriously, in both those cases, the assailant drove over people with speeding cars, before then pulling out knives and stabbing people.

She slipped past security, where she was protesting, without anyone being hurt.
Old 21-06-2019, 12:16 PM

TennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTennesseeKing came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Well, armed terrorists don't try to sneak their way past security, that's why they carry weapons. If you watch the full video of the protest you can see they were being restrained by security at the door, and she slipped past them (and clearly he's aware that she's part of the protest, because he confronts her).

Where as armed terrorists, when confronted, shoot / fight their way into the situation, and either take hostages (more traditional) or keep shooting until they run out of targets.
Very much dependent on what the aim of the 'terrorist' is. Lone wolf attackers don't tend to follow the terrorists handbook of etiquette for a standard attack, hence you can't predict what someone on their own will do.
Old 21-06-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeKing View Post
I completely agree that not all protests should or can be done legitimately. But by the same token when you play the game by a certain set of rules, you can't then complain when somebody ends up reacting given she was trespassing. And all Mark Field has essentially done is use force on a trespasser, where her intentions at the time were unknown, he's used force in order to gain control, restrain and escort her out.
Yes, you can, when someone reacts in a manner that is unlawful, such as the use of excessive force. Either the 'rules of the game' apply or they don't. He over reacted to what was a non-threatening protest, that was pissing him off and ruining his posh dinner, and he reacted out of anger and frustration, not concern for the safety of his guests.

We've all seen that time and again, where people lose their temper, lash out and over react. He even looks pissed off and angry, when he's 'dealing' with her
Old 21-06-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeKing View Post
Very much dependent on what the aim of the 'terrorist' is. Lone wolf attackers don't tend to follow the terrorists handbook of etiquette for a standard attack, hence you can't predict what someone on their own will do.
Lone wolf terrorists don't turn up with a bunch of protesters. The lone wolf bit is the give away.
Old 21-06-2019, 12:21 PM
Only One Dougie Freedman

Quote:

But they do conceal what they are intending to do, acting innoently, until able to carry out their intention. When confronted they react.

She clearly wasn't an armed terrorist with several rifles and a couple of RPG's tucked in her dress, but there are plenty of ways to skin a cat, and said cat can be many or 1 in particular. I don't see his reaction any more excessive than it needed to be at the time. She broke the law and was forcibly ejected, a sore neck seems minors. He's not a woman beating scumbag and she isn't number 1 threat to society.

As you mention before, any other way this is switched and it wouldn't even be a story. If a woman had grabbed her in the same manner, I probably wouldn't even know about it, and this thread wouldn't even exist. The reaction and any punishment should be befitting of this crime, not the gender imo.
Old 21-06-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Yes, you can, when someone reacts in a manner that is unlawful, such as the use of excessive force. Either the 'rules of the game' apply or they don't. He over reacted to what was a non-threatening protest, that was pissing him off and ruining his posh dinner, and he reacted out of anger and frustration, not concern for the safety of his guests.

We've all seen that time and again, where people lose their temper, lash out and over react. He even looks pissed off and angry, when he's 'dealing' with her
We're going round in circles. You think it's unlawful. I don't. Use of reasonable force is about what is proportionate and reasonable at the time, not with hindsight. The actions taken were done so with the sole intention of removing her from the building, due to a perceived threat on his part or purely just to eject her from the building. Any force used was done so with the intention of gaining control, hence not unreasonable.