Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM
Only One Dougie Freedman

GrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheBiscuit View Post
Yes the first time in 12 seasons. Beaten to 6th by a team we have also got a point away from home.

They had one of the best strikers in the world who didn't get a sniff, a world cup winner in goal, a 25m right back signed from Barcelona (Reguillon is a 25m Spanish international) as well as the likes of Moura and Alli. They hadn't conceded a goal in their first three matches and remain a top 6 team
Not a dig at you personally, but fans are such a funny bunch (I include myself ).

We spent 2 seasons complaining about our performances, largely regardless of the results, but choose to back up our own results based solely on the results the opposition have had, regardless of their performance

Spurs have been average at best in their 3 wins. They had conceded more chances (52) than any other side except Burnley (53), having played Wolves, Watford and a Man City side without Walker, Stones/Laporte, Zinchenko, Silva, de Bruyne, Rodri or Foden. Even Norwich were better (44), having faced Liverpool, Man City and Leicester! Spurs don't look as good as their points total suggests, and the side we beat Saturday is far from their best side, I just think a little realism is needed, just as it was needed when our far from best side got demolished by Chelsea.
Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM
Only One Dougie Freedman

GrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger1 View Post
But you can discredit a lot of previous results on that basis.

A couple of results spring to mind:

We beat Man City 3-2 in the 2018/19 season and they were missing Mendy, De Bruyne, Fernandinho and Aguero.

We beat Arsenal 3-0 in the 2016/17 season and they were missing Giroud, Ramsey, Mertesacker and Koscielny.

But we were also missing players from those games like we did on Saturday against Spurs.
Well yes, that's my point isn't it You can only beat what is put in front of you, and Spurs aren't a top 6 side based on a single result, that side that lost won't be their best side this season, nor would that side finish 6th, so our performance has to have a bit of that factored in. We'd be daft not to surely?

Not sure the Man City and Spurs performances can be compared either, Man City brought on Aguero, de Bruyne and Mahrez, Spurs brought on Rodon and Ben bloody Davies
Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM

Stinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayP41ace View Post
Well yes, that's my point isn't it You can only beat what is put in front of you, and Spurs aren't a top 6 side based on a single result, that side that lost won't be their best side this season, nor would that side finish 6th, so our performance has to have a bit of that factored in. We'd be daft not to surely?

Not sure the Man City and Spurs performances can be compared either, Man City brought on Aguero, de Bruyne and Mahrez, Spurs brought on Rodon and Ben bloody Davies
Sure, but I think performance against West Ham the previous week who did finish 6th last season and put out their strongest team against us suggests we were every bit as good as Spurs were bad.
Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM

Krise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB2506 View Post
How does 4-4-2 keep things tighter?? Take a man out of midfield??

4-1-4-1 would be keeping it tight.
Foxinthebox has explained it well. Vieira's 4-4-2 is designed to be more compact, attacking less with width than the 4-3-3. It would typically be Zaha with Edouard/Benteke up front, and maybe a midfield 4 of Gallagher-Milivojevic/Kouyate-McArthur-Hughes/Olise.

You can read more about his reasoning for the 4-4-2 vs Chelsea: To view the link you have to Register or Login

Vieira said: “Because I wanted to be really compact and to stop their holding midfielder getting on the ball – to find the players in between the lines.

“When you look at the way in which we defended before we conceded the free-kick, I was really pleased – we were really compact. I think the free-kick changed our plan.

“It wasn’t a late decision, this is how we prepared all week, and we have to take into consideration the quality of players that we are playing against. We knew that Chelsea would have the possession.”

Last edited by Krise; Yesterday at 12:31 PM.
Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM

Norwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is hereNorwich_Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
Last year only Man City averaged 60%.

Wolves were 12 with 49.7%

Same as the year before although they only had 48.7% in 12 place.
But that presumably includes matches against the traditional top 6?

Here's Andy Johnson He's More Than Capable... Of Scoring
And He Very Nearly Did.....
And Neil Shipperley has!!!
Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM
Only One Dougie Freedman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger1 View Post
Sure, but I think performance against West Ham the previous week who did finish 6th last season and put out their strongest team against us suggests we were every bit as good as Spurs were bad.
I agree, that result/performance against West Ham probably told us more, and was probably a better result in the grand scheme of things than the Spurs one. I thought we could nick a win against Spurs, even more so after the International break (plus fiasco), but I didn't think we'd get anything from West Ham