Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 16-09-2021, 09:43 AM

BillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is here
Doh!

I thought they finished 6th last season.
Old 16-09-2021, 09:46 AM

ms21 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietms21 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietms21 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietms21 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietms21 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietms21 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietms21 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietms21 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietms21 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietms21 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietms21 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheBiscuit View Post
We've just comfortably beaten a top 6 team
Well other than the fact we didn’t, yeah I guess so.

The point is that we’ll have to be able to get results against top teams who will dominate possession.
Old 16-09-2021, 09:48 AM

JackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayP41ace View Post
You mean aside from 4 months ago when they finished outside the top 6 The team that played Saturday was not the team they have had the last decade either.

Of course their overall squad is better than the 13 that played Saturday, but that side Saturday is not a top 6 side is it? The defence of Reguillon, Rodon, Tanganga and Emerson, with Winks, Skipp and Hojberg ahead of them is not screaming out top 6.

I'd be mildly surprised if they actually finish 6th with their best side, let alone with Saturday's side.
Yes the first time in 12 seasons. Beaten to 6th by a team we have also got a point away from home.

They had one of the best strikers in the world who didn't get a sniff, a world cup winner in goal, a £25m right back signed from Barcelona (Reguillon is a £25m Spanish international) as well as the likes of Moura and Alli. They hadn't conceded a goal in their first three matches and remain a top 6 team
Old 16-09-2021, 09:48 AM

BillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is here
Quote:
You mean aside from 4 months ago when they finished outside the top 6 The team that played Saturday was not the team they have had the last decade either.

Of course their overall squad is better than the 13 that played Saturday, but that side Saturday is not a top 6 side is it? The defence of Reguillon, Rodon, Tanganga and Emerson, with Winks, Skipp and Hojberg ahead of them is not screaming out top 6.

I'd be mildly surprised if they actually finish 6th with their best side, let alone with Saturday's side.
I think they will still be around the top 6. I mean they won their first 3 games. That included beating Man City with 8 players starting that game that started against us but crucially they didn't have Kane against City.

I think Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Utd are top four. Then you have Spurs and Leicester for 5th or 6th. Who else is going to finish above them? West Ham....maybe Everton. Arsenal look crap. Id say Tottenham are better than them.
Old 16-09-2021, 09:49 AM

JackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms21 View Post
Well other than the fact we didn’t, yeah I guess so.

The point is that we’ll have to be able to get results against top teams who will dominate possession.
So tell me what is a top 6 team??? Brighton?
Old 16-09-2021, 09:52 AM

ms21 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietms21 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietms21 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietms21 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietms21 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietms21 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietms21 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietms21 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietms21 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietms21 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietms21 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheBiscuit View Post
So tell me what is a top 6 team??? Brighton?
Rather than "top 6", perhaps Liverpool, Chelsea, United & City is more appropriate.
Old 16-09-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Rather than "top 6", perhaps Liverpool, Chelsea, United & City is more appropriate.
Ok fair enough
Old 16-09-2021, 10:07 AM

Stinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Not really sure that's like for like measuring stick though. This is comfortably the strongest top 4 we've ever seen where all 4 teams all have a legitimate argument to be title contenders.
Old 16-09-2021, 10:13 AM
gumnut cottage

foxinthebox came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfoxinthebox came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfoxinthebox came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfoxinthebox came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfoxinthebox came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfoxinthebox came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfoxinthebox came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfoxinthebox came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfoxinthebox came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfoxinthebox came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfoxinthebox came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB2506 View Post
How does 4-4-2 keep things tighter?? Take a man out of midfield??

4-1-4-1 would be keeping it tight.
All depends on how narrow your wide players are and how attacking your two in the middle are.

Personnel is as important as formation
Old 16-09-2021, 10:28 AM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwich_Eagle View Post
I thought I'd saw articles on The Athletic and other websites saying that bar the top 6 sides where it was much lower that's how they played.
Last year only Man City averaged 60%.

Wolves were 12 with 49.7%

Same as the year before although they only had 48.7% in 12 place.
Old 16-09-2021, 10:31 AM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTKid View Post
Doh!

I thought they finished 6th last season.
To be fair, prior to last seasons 7th place they had been top 6 for the previous 12 years.

They will be in a group of teams fighting for Europa League places this year IMO. Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool and Man City likely to take the CL spots. Lots of teams aiming for the places just below them. Which i see others have already said! Doh!
Old 16-09-2021, 10:51 AM

Dave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Is he genuinely two footed? Played on the right V Spurs and then left in the U 23's.
Old 16-09-2021, 10:54 AM
Only One Dougie Freedman

GrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTKid View Post
I think they will still be around the top 6. I mean they won their first 3 games. That included beating Man City with 8 players starting that game that started against us but crucially they didn't have Kane against City.

I think Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Utd are top four. Then you have Spurs and Leicester for 5th or 6th. Who else is going to finish above them? West Ham....maybe Everton. Arsenal look crap. Id say Tottenham are better than them.
Yes they won their first 3 games, but they had faced 52 shots in those 3 games, 25 against Wolves! They've now given up 70 attempts in 4 games and have the highest xGA differencial in the league. The 13 that played us on Saturday is not their best side, nor would that 13 finish 6th. That was my sole point. Arguing whether a different side, that didn't finish 6th last season would finish top 6 is kind of pointless isn't it?

Would be like suggesting we are a top 10 squad based on the line-up we put out against Chelsea.

Last edited by GrayP41ace; 16-09-2021 at 11:04 AM.
Old 16-09-2021, 10:55 AM

Stinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McGregor View Post
Is he genuinely two footed? Played on the right V Spurs and then left in the U 23's.
His right foot is mostly for standing on.

He played as a No.10 for the U23s.
Old 16-09-2021, 10:58 AM

16eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet16eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet16eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet16eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet16eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet16eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet16eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet16eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet16eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet16eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet16eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McGregor View Post
By look highlights played central maybe free role u23s.
But yes he’s left footed play all across front, but better off the right coming on his left seems.
Old 16-09-2021, 11:03 AM

Sick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuieJack View Post
That is precisely how i saw his introduction, i also liked what i saw in those few minutes he seems to have a swagger to his play, yes he looked impressive and it bodes well for the future. But i can see Vieira showing patience (as should our fans) in the weeks ahead in how he uses Olise and most likely off the bench and rightly so, as we need to introduce him gradually to feel his way with say 10 minutes at Anfield and then 15/20 minutes against Brighton, then see how it goes.
This is very sensible and probably the best thing to do but I want to see more of him now!

I'd start Ayew again v Liverpool but IF/When we go 1-0 down I'd be tempted to stick him on.
Old 16-09-2021, 11:04 AM

Dave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDave McGregor came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16eagles View Post
By look highlights played central maybe free role u23s.
But yes he’s left footed play all across front, but better off the right coming on his left seems.
Thanks. Anyway we have a potentially great player on our hands here. So exicting.
Old 16-09-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
The 13 that played us on Saturday is not their best side, nor would that 13 finish 6th. That was my sole point. Arguing whether a different side, that didn't finish 6th last season would finish top 6 is kind of pointless isn't it?

Would be like suggesting we are a top 10 squad based on the line-up we put out against Chelsea.
But you can discredit a lot of previous results on that basis.

A couple of results spring to mind:

We beat Man City 3-2 in the 2018/19 season and they were missing Mendy, De Bruyne, Fernandinho and Aguero.

We beat Arsenal 3-0 in the 2016/17 season and they were missing Giroud, Ramsey, Mertesacker and Koscielny.

But we were also missing players from those games like we did on Saturday against Spurs.
Old 16-09-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger1 View Post
But you can discredit a lot of previous results on that basis.

A couple of results spring to mind:

We beat Man City 3-2 in the 2018/19 season and they were missing Mendy, De Bruyne, Fernandinho and Aguero.

We beat Arsenal 3-0 in the 2016/17 season and they were missing Giroud, Ramsey, Mertesacker and Koscielny.

But we were also missing players from those games like we did on Saturday against Spurs.
Agreed. Spurs had their 1st choice available in the following positions:
GK, LB, RB, all 3 CM positions and Striker. CB is interesting a Dier has been starting there and would he or Sanchez partner Romero?

They were second best for the whole game with 7 or 8 of their best XI available.
Old 16-09-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger1 View Post
Not really sure that's like for like measuring stick though. This is comfortably the strongest top 4 we've ever seen where all 4 teams all have a legitimate argument to be title contenders.
But that’s kinda my point. Every manager that has kept us up has got results against teams like that. Roy beat City away and Chelsea at home. Got a few draws against Liverpool too. Under Sam, we beat Chelsea away. More examples of this under Pardew & Pulis too. Often these matches are written off as bonuses but its quite clear that teams who survive in the PL get results in them