Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 20-08-2021, 03:24 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Yes, fair enough, but the competition was weaker. All three teams who finished above them the previous season had poorer seasons, and the teams who were to win in future years hadn't yet developed to their best.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 20-08-2021, 03:57 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Yes agreed. After winning two league titles in three years Arsenal went backwards in the early 90s and were virtually a mid-table side by the time Wenger rocked up, although they did well in the cups. We didn't know it at the time but Liverpool's long period of dominance was well and truly over, Graeme Souness turned out to be a pretty disastrous managerial appointment. They did win the FA Cup in 1992 though.

Manchester United were the improving team and they started 91/92 like a train with 8 wins and 2 draws in their first 10 games. In fact they were favourites to lift the title for the first time since 1967 going in to the run-in but rather pleasingly they choked big time with 3 defeats in their last 4 games to hand Leeds the title.
Old 20-08-2021, 08:13 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspercpfc View Post
Weren't we the only team to pick up 4 points of them that campaign?
Yup - that became a staple football quiz question the following season
Old 20-08-2021, 08:16 PM

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
Yes, fair enough, but the competition was weaker. All three teams who finished above them the previous season had poorer seasons, and the teams who were to win in future years hadn't yet developed to their best.
This is spot on. Much like when Leicester won the title, it wasn't that Leeds were truly great, they just timed a 'very good' season when everyone else was not at their peak.

Which is why I've always said, 1991-92 was Palace's chance to win it all.

Never forget, newly promoted Sheff Wednesday were two points of top spot with two games to go when they came to SE25 in April '92.
Old 23-08-2021, 09:10 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
MAN CITY 3. Brennan 2. White
PALACE 2. Thomas. Bright

Att: 28,028

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 23-08-2021, 09:28 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
A very frustrating afternoon. Stayed up in Manchester with my relatives and made the short trip by bus from the Old Trafford area to Maine Road. We played well but City got very lucky on the day and the ref basically handed them the match with two very dubious penalties - the second one was just a ridiculous decision. It was appropriate that we should start with a game feeling so hard done by, as that feeling seemed to pop up continually in the early part of the season.

So our first game of the season ends in defeat and as others had already played 3 games, we found ourselves bottom.

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 23-08-2021, 09:37 PM

simon : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesimon : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesimon : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesimon : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesimon : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesimon : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesimon : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesimon : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesimon : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesimon : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesimon : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
My main memory of that game is that the away turnstiles opened really late for some reason. I'd been for a few pre-match beers with a City supporting friend, and was already struggling a bit by the time we'd walked to the ground. The gates weren't open and I had to wait for what seemd like an eternity before I could get in and relieve the pressure.

The match was ruined by the ending unfortunately.
Old 23-08-2021, 10:08 PM

PemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
For the 2nd season running I missed the 1st game of the season to attend the Reading Music Festival.

To view the link you have to Register or Login - I think I vaguely recall seeing the band 4th on of 9 on the Friday, 1 month before they released a fairly seminal album!

Might have been watching Blur on the Saturday as we slid to a referee assisted defeat.
Old 23-08-2021, 10:41 PM

cockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is here
That loss at Man City was the most impressive performance I ever saw of Palace in defeat.
Brilliant football mostly.
Old 23-08-2021, 11:04 PM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
That away end really used to shake (literally) when the crowd got jumping, and you could see the ground below through the terracing
Old 24-08-2021, 07:06 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PemboExpress View Post
For the 2nd season running I missed the 1st game of the season to attend the Reading Music Festival.

To view the link you have to Register or Login - I think I vaguely recall seeing the band 4th on of 9 on the Friday, 1 month before they released a fairly seminal album!

Might have been watching Blur on the Saturday as we slid to a referee assisted defeat.
I was also at Reading, I hope it wasn't you who sold us that dodgy cider.

We had arrived straight from work on the Friday evening as dusk was settling. Having wandered around for a while trying to find a place to pitch our tent we eventually came across a decent sized plot which others seemed to have missed...only to discover the following morning that there was a good reason for that, people had been using it as an impromptu toilet facility due to the queues at the portaloos. We had also turned up without sleeping bags, romantically thinking that we would just be able to crash out under the stars but not realising that the nights can actually be ******* cold in late August. So a couple of sleepless nights with teeth chattering and a growing hangover, not a particularly comfortable or pleasant couple of days which put me off the joys of festival-going for life. Or indeed camping full stop, I like my creature comforts too much.

On the Saturday morning we purchased the aforementioned cannister of cider from a passing scoundrel and listened to the football updates while lounging around our tent. The classic 'and there's late drama at Maine Road' followed by the sinking feeling when we heard that we'd conceded a late penalty. The match reports said that we'd played well and didn't deserve to lose. Eventually the dodgy cider worked its magic on our digestive system but I couldn't face the portaloos so a rapid waddle into Reading town centre ensued, found the M&S and dived into the toilet whereupon the cider came back out again in liquid form, only slightly more cloudy than its original state.

I also saw Nirvana at Reading and thought little of them. Interesting to note that Mercury Rev were bottom of the bill on the Saturday, I had no recollection of that but became a fan in later years. I was there for Carter USM who delivered a fantastic set on the Saturday evening. Still makes me chuckle that two blokes with guitars and a backing track could become such big stars, albeit only for a few years. In truth the rest of the bill was weak and we didn't bother hanging around for the Sisters Of Mercy on the Sunday evening.

Taking a look at the league table and Arsenal who had been virtually invincible the previous season with only one defeat had got off to a shocking start, just the one point from three games.
Old 24-08-2021, 07:33 AM

Sheff Wed off to a slow start in what would be a great season for them.

Some bloke called Trevor Francis was in charge - wonder whatever happened to him!
Old 24-08-2021, 07:46 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
I just checked something on the season on wikipedia and noticed that although, as you say, Wednesday had a great season, they also managed to suffer the biggest home (1-6 to Leeds) and away (7-1 to Arsenal) defeats of the season.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 24-08-2021, 08:52 AM

David Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Always thought that the Geoff Thomas header in that game was a really underrated goal. Sort of summed up what we were about: Gray and Thomas’ quality in midfield and then a fantastic front pair.
Old 24-08-2021, 11:06 AM

PemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPemboExpress came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
I was also at Reading, I hope it wasn't you who sold us that dodgy cider.

We had arrived straight from work on the Friday evening as dusk was settling. Having wandered around for a while trying to find a place to pitch our tent we eventually came across a decent sized plot which others seemed to have missed...only to discover the following morning that there was a good reason for that, people had been using it as an impromptu toilet facility due to the queues at the portaloos. We had also turned up without sleeping bags, romantically thinking that we would just be able to crash out under the stars but not realising that the nights can actually be ******* cold in late August. So a couple of sleepless nights with teeth chattering and a growing hangover, not a particularly comfortable or pleasant couple of days which put me off the joys of festival-going for life. Or indeed camping full stop, I like my creature comforts too much.

On the Saturday morning we purchased the aforementioned cannister of cider from a passing scoundrel and listened to the football updates while lounging around our tent. The classic 'and there's late drama at Maine Road' followed by the sinking feeling when we heard that we'd conceded a late penalty. The match reports said that we'd played well and didn't deserve to lose. Eventually the dodgy cider worked its magic on our digestive system but I couldn't face the portaloos so a rapid waddle into Reading town centre ensued, found the M&S and dived into the toilet whereupon the cider came back out again in liquid form, only slightly more cloudy than its original state.

I also saw Nirvana at Reading and thought little of them. Interesting to note that Mercury Rev were bottom of the bill on the Saturday, I had no recollection of that but became a fan in later years. I was there for Carter USM who delivered a fantastic set on the Saturday evening. Still makes me chuckle that two blokes with guitars and a backing track could become such big stars, albeit only for a few years. In truth the rest of the bill was weak and we didn't bother hanging around for the Sisters Of Mercy on the Sunday evening.

Taking a look at the league table and Arsenal who had been virtually invincible the previous season with only one defeat had got off to a shocking start, just the one point from three games.
Haha, I don't think we had any cider drinkers in our party!

I am not sure if it was that year or the year before, but I do remember us raiding the local supermarket before the event and buying 24 can bitter and lager packs bound by plastic. For some reason the silly woman on the check out priced the 24 cans up based on the price stuck on each 4 can section, meaning we paid the price for about 24 cans despite purchasing 144!

As for Reading, I remember enjoying the top 4 acts on the Friday, The Fall (not sure it was that year but the strong winds blew Mark E Smith's songlist or lyrics off his lecturn) the top 2 on the Saturday. Not sure how Ned's Atomic Dustbin were 2nd on the bill on the Sunday, but I remember enjoying The Family Cat and Kitchens of Distinction (2 of my favourite underground bands at the time) on the Sunday.

Me and my West Ham mate snuck off on the Sat around 4.55 to tune into Radio 5 to hear the results.

Happy days.
Old 24-08-2021, 02:06 PM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
Quote:
Haha, I don't think we had any cider drinkers in our party!

I am not sure if it was that year or the year before, but I do remember us raiding the local supermarket before the event and buying 24 can bitter and lager packs bound by plastic. For some reason the silly woman on the check out priced the 24 cans up based on the price stuck on each 4 can section, meaning we paid the price for about 24 cans despite purchasing 144!

As for Reading, I remember enjoying the top 4 acts on the Friday, The Fall (not sure it was that year but the strong winds blew Mark E Smith's songlist or lyrics off his lecturn) the top 2 on the Saturday. Not sure how Ned's Atomic Dustbin were 2nd on the bill on the Sunday, but I remember enjoying The Family Cat and Kitchens of Distinction (2 of my favourite underground bands at the time) on the Sunday.

Me and my West Ham mate snuck off on the Sat around 4.55 to tune into Radio 5 to hear the results.

Happy days.
Family Cat and Kitchens of Distinction - cast-iron indie quality
Old 24-08-2021, 02:16 PM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by art malice View Post
Bloody love The Family Cat - Tom Verlaine-tastic!
Old 24-08-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by art malice View Post
Yeah, still love Tell 'em were Surfing by TFC and Love is Hell and Strange Free World by KOD..

Can't remember what became of my TFC t shirt but just googled it and saw one advertised for £175!
Old 24-08-2021, 05:00 PM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Yeah, still love Tell 'em were Surfing by TFC and Love is Hell and Strange Free World by KOD..

Can't remember what became of my TFC t shirt but just googled it and saw one advertised for £175!
I always get Kitchens of Distinction & New Fast Automatic Daffodils mixed up - not musically but often nominally!
Old 25-08-2021, 10:29 AM

Let's get back into the top ten movers and shakers then. In fact it was a quiet week with only one new entry, although it was a fairly notable one:

Charly by The Prodigy - This was the ravers' first proper hit, peaking at number three. A commercially appealing mashup of the old public information cartoon starring the little boy and his cat Charley about stranger danger. I always preferred the old school Prodigy sound before Keith Flint came to the forefront. Interestingly, according to Wikipedia Kenny Everett provided Charley the cat's mewling voice in the original cartoons, I never knew that.

Footnote: At this time (Everything I Do) I Do It For You had already been at number one for two months but was still only halfway through its reign, staying at the top spot for 16 weeks through to early October. It's always fascinated me how records like this and Love Is All Around managed to maintain such sales momentum, outselling all opposition for weeks on end. Who was still buying the damned thing by the time it had been number one for more than say six weeks??