Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

View Poll Results: MoM
Hennessey 196 50.52%
Ward 10 2.58%
Tomkins *** 4 1.03%
Cahill 57 14.69%
van Aanholt 15 3.87%
Zaha 4 1.03%
Kouyaté 42 10.82%
Milivojevic ** 0 0%
McArthur 35 9.02%
Schlupp * 2 0.52%
Ayew 9 2.32%
* Townsend 0 0%
** Benteke 10 2.58%
*** Dann 4 1.03%
Voters: 388. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20-10-2019, 07:00 AM

Mr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by glaziers fan View Post
Hennessey 7 Looked shaky but still effective, and then good saves

PVA 6 Fine defensively, didn't have much ball or support for forward runs
Cahill 6 Solid enough
Tomkins 6 Great to see him back. Did well
Ward 6 Thought he was pretty solid against good opposition

Miivojevic 5 Rusty and uninspiring.
McArthur 6 Does his usual amount of running. Limited footballer
Kouyate 6 Does his usual amount of running. Limited footballer

Schlupp 3 I don't know what to say, I really don't. Rabbit in headlights? I think he has very little idea where he should be on the pitch, and that's why he jogs about the pitch as he is uncertain where to position himself and when to close down. No intensity, and as a footballer he's limited in ability. He's an athlete with power and pace who doesn't put in a shift! I mean, you couldn't make it up. He gives the ball away and is a passenger. He lasted 55 minutes under Hodgson. That's like being hooked before half time by a normal manager. Dreadful performance and should be dropped. He should contrast his levels of endeavour with that of Ayew, McArthur and Kouyate and be ashamed of himself.

Ayew 6 Put in a shift without really looking threatening. I don't think he's a striker, but he gives 100% and he has some technical ability. Very useful squad player.

Zaha 5 I thought he was poor by his standards, and no-one will be in for him with that level of performance. Tracking back, he was almost permanently in the full back positions but that's not what he's about. Lost out to Fernandinho in a chase because he had already had to run 50 yards from right back to get to that position. By being so deep it allowed Man City to camp all their outfield players in our half. Definite pen on De Bruyne. We are not getting the most out of him. This match was like an away game, and I'd like to see Wilf further up the pitch and more on the left when there's so much space in behind the opposition. One good strike late on.

Subs

Townsend 6 Bright, with decent technical ability, although predictable in needing to cut back onto the left every time. Having said that he can actually play, and should be starting when you look at the technical ability of the current XI.

Benteke 7 MOM - for the haters Almost scored with his first touch, with an excellent powerful header. I said he should have started the game, and even more after seeing the Man City teamsheet with no centre backs. Not saying we would have won but we let them off the hook in terms of at least having a contest. The only decent cross that came in whilst he was on the pitch from PVA's corner and we are nearly back in the game.

It was a solid performance, but Hodgson's teams are so boring to watch. There's not much in the way of footballing ability or pace and skill in this Palace side. Just Zaha and he will be gone soon. Maybe it's just me, but I don't enjoy it as much at Selhurst anymore. Still think Hodgson should just about get another season after this one, unless the right manager to take us forward becomes available, but it's not exactly an exciting prospect to have Roy at the helm for another year. Having said that, very proud to have him as our manager - nice guy with good morals. And he's bloody effective at what he does: our team is drilled and organised better than most.
Benteke MoM?! He touched the ball once, albeit with a good header. Even in your parallel universe that doesn’t warrant MoM.

Agree with you about Schlupp though. Decent squad player but should never be starting this many games.
Old 20-10-2019, 07:25 AM
Certified Grumpy

T.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by 917L View Post
Frustrating game all round

Forget the fact they have better players, they worked much harder than we did without the ball, so we were always rushed when we had it.

Some decent attacking moments second half, and we would have scored twice but for two world class saves

First goal was a joke though, and ridiculously poor marking, leaving Jesus unmarked in the 6 yard box

Some very good performances, Wayne, and Kouyate in particular

Schlupp was awful and Wilf apparently disinterested for 80 odd minutes

Game could have been 8-2, they missed some ridiculously easy chances as well as those Wayne saved
Good summary
Old 20-10-2019, 07:31 AM

BringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBringbackShipps came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
It’s in games like that where our technical limitations with the ball are really shown up, I thought City’s use of the ball and especially their weight of pass was fantastic consistently. Beaten by a much, much better side and we move on.
Old 20-10-2019, 07:45 AM
No authority but yourself

philsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is here
PVA should take the set pieces whether lukas on the pitch or not. They were good against west ham and an instant improvement yesterday when luka went off.
Old 20-10-2019, 07:47 AM
AWM V 42 124,125

Brummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is hereBrummie Allan Sam the man is here
Quote:

It was a solid performance, but Hodgson's teams are so boring to watch. There's not much in the way of footballing ability or pace and skill in this Palace side. Just Zaha and he will be gone soon. Maybe it's just me, but I don't enjoy it as much at Selhurst anymore. Still think Hodgson should just about get another season after this one, unless the right manager to take us forward becomes available, but it's not exactly an exciting prospect to have Roy at the helm for another year. Having said that, very proud to have him as our manager - nice guy with good morals. And he's bloody effective at what he does: our team is drilled and organised better than most.
We are 6th in the best league in the world with a team that cost peanuts. You've obviously forgot the Pulis year. If the right manager came along he would need to do something with the same group of players he's got in front of him and I believe Roy is the best person at this moment in time.

Old 20-10-2019, 08:01 AM

Glazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlazier69 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
As long as we beat the Norwichs Villas etc and get points v the Evertons and Wolves we will be OK. A few points v the top sides and we are comfortably top half. A rebuild is needed next summer, in what will be called the post-Wilf era.
Old 20-10-2019, 08:05 AM

CpfcLoz : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCpfcLoz : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCpfcLoz : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCpfcLoz : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCpfcLoz : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCpfcLoz : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCpfcLoz : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCpfcLoz : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCpfcLoz : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCpfcLoz : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCpfcLoz : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
i think luka needs to be dropped, hes out of form , mccarthy should hsve kept his spot. very harsh of roy to drop him.
Old 20-10-2019, 08:08 AM

norwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Have just seen the motd highlights and Silvas run that drew Tomkins and created the space for Jesus and the first goal.
Ward did his best to get across and defend but Jesus got a good touch.
Silva started and finished the second goal with fantastic skill.
Two great saves from Ederson and Wayne.
We're still 6th in the table.
I think it's time to give Benteke a start and drop Schlupp.
Old 20-10-2019, 08:08 AM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by philsick View Post
PVA should take the set pieces whether lukas on the pitch or not. They were good against west ham and an instant improvement yesterday when luka went off.
Excellent corner for that Benteke header.
Old 20-10-2019, 08:18 AM

norwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by philsick View Post
I'm with you on this. Luka seems badly out of sorts at the moment. I think he was hoping for a sumner move that didn't come off.
His form has been indifferent this season and he's picking up yellow cards for fun. This is not the player who was ever present and played every minute last season.
Old 20-10-2019, 08:23 AM

bigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksop Palace View Post
Certainly didn’t embarrass ourselves and it was no chelsea at home performance but I sat there at the end thinking we may have missed a trick somewhat.

We were very passive and let them have way too much ball, although i accept they are so good this would perhaps happen anyway. We just didn’t seem to impose ourselves on the game at all.

Thought the back 4 were good although Joel lost his man for their first. Have to say (being a big critic of him) that WH did ok. Made some smart saves but should have done much better with the second that went straight through him.

All in all ok
Watch the goal again, no blame attached really.

Tomkins is marking Jesus... silva makes a great run which he then tracks so ward comes across to cover Jesus.. the ball is played as Jesus is between the two. To be fair to ward he knows he won’t get there and dives between player and goal... if Jesus had headed cleanly there is a good chance ward blocks it with the dive but it comes off his shoulder and creeps in the corner. It was the run from silva that did it though.
Old 20-10-2019, 08:30 AM

teesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is hereteesdale99 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by norwoodeagle View Post
I'm with you on this. Luka seems badly out of sorts at the moment. I think he was hoping for a sumner move that didn't come off.
His form has been indifferent this season and he's picking up yellow cards for fun. This is not the player who was ever present and played every minute last season.
I’ve always been a big luka fan and thought of him as first choice in that deep midfield role. But he’s not been at his best this season and we have plenty of depth in this area. Jimmy Mac was superb in that role v West Ham.
Old 20-10-2019, 08:35 AM

Mr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is hereMr Bo Jangles Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigend1 View Post

Tomkins is marking Jesus... silva makes a great run which he then tracks so ward comes across to cover Jesus.. the ball is played as Jesus is between the two. To be fair to ward he knows he won’t get there and dives between player and goal... if Jesus had headed cleanly there is a good chance ward blocks it with the dive but it comes off his shoulder and creeps in the corner. It was the run from silva that did it though.
Silva was Kouyate's man, he didn't track him back forced Tomkins to move into the space and leave Jesus free with Ward too much to do to get close.
Old 20-10-2019, 08:36 AM
A Fish without a Bike

sw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is heresw16girl Sam the man is here
When they scored two so quickly I was worried we would collpase - we didn't and were if anything a bit better in the second half. Wayne comfortably MoM for some cracking saves. We looked outclassed of a lot of the time because we were but not a bad performance.

Roy obviously thought it was worth making attacking substitutions and not just negatively defend the goal difference which porbably says a bit about where he thinks we are likely to finish this season.

A Trust is for life not just for Crisis
Old 20-10-2019, 08:36 AM
Glad all over

dannyturner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyturner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyturner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyturner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyturner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyturner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyturner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyturner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyturner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyturner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyturner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigend1 View Post

The problem for me with the goal is that the midfield trackers don’t cover to run of Silva, this forces Tomkins and Ward to be overloaded and they have no choice but to shuffle across. Silva makes the goal, but Luka or Chek should have covered his run.
Old 20-10-2019, 08:48 AM

Archiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I thought Cahill was really good again and Hennessy made some good saves. Ward needs replacing ASAP as it’s not fair on the bloke putting him in week after week.
Old 20-10-2019, 08:52 AM
All views stated are IMHO

glaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash View Post
[/B]

I don't think we are allowed to see what their lineup is and if they have a makeshift defence or not before we name our team.
Even if Otamendi and Stones had played Benteke would have destroyed them in the air given decent quality service. They are one of the smallest sides in the league, Benteke from the start was the way to go. Wilf further forward was the way to go too. But because we had good results with the starting front 3 they kept their places.
Old 20-10-2019, 09:28 AM
Zuffenhausen

917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here
Quote:
Even if Otamendi and Stones had played Benteke would have destroyed them in the air given decent quality service. They are one of the smallest sides in the league, Benteke from the start was the way to go. Wilf further forward was the way to go too. But because we had good results with the starting front 3 they kept their places.
Benteke hasn't 'destroyed' anyone for nearly 3 years.....
Old 20-10-2019, 09:29 AM

aj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is here
Quote:
Cahill had it right , we sat in our shape but we should have rushed at them in possession.
Rednap palace too passive , commentators - beneteke better for this game.
All about right comments , shame that Roy doesn't see if like that .
Roy said he was trying to seal the spaces of for them .
Old 20-10-2019, 09:32 AM

aj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFBias View Post
Townsend and Benteke was a different plan.
No it was same formation . Just different personnel.
But both could have started or been earlier .
Rednap - palace weren't aggressive enough, didn't spark the crowd too passive . True