Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 04-12-2019, 07:12 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Radiator problem

Have never experienced this anywhere else I have lived but having just moved the radiator without thermostatic control (or it appears with any means of adjustment) is as hot as a radiator can be, even with the flat thermostat switched to its lowest temp setting. I got the engineer in and he told me there is nothing that can be done, though suggested that I switch on the radiators in the other rooms as this may work in lowering the temperature of the radiator. It hasn't. So I am left switching off the central heating at the boiler on a regular basis.

Surely this ain't right.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-12-2019, 07:18 AM
No authority but yourself

philsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post
Have never experienced this anywhere else I have lived but having just moved the radiator without thermostatic control (or it appears with any means of adjustment) is as hot as a radiator can be, even with the flat thermostat switched to its lowest temp setting. I got the engineer in and he told me there is nothing that can be done, though suggested that I switch on the radiators in the other rooms as this may work in lowering the temperature of the radiator. It hasn't. So I am left switching off the central heating at the boiler on a regular basis.

Surely this ain't right.

Any suggestions?
switch one of the rad valves off on the rad thats boiling, then crack it open just a quarter of a turn.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:22 AM

Nostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is here
Try turning the lock shield valves fully clockwise until you get resistance, then turn 90 degrees anti clockwise. Basically as far anti as you can get without stopping the flow in the rad. The other rads may need balancing a bit too.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:37 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Cheers Philsick and Nostrils but to highlight my total ignorance of such things I am unsure what either of you are talking about ☹️

My phone is on its last legs so apologies re picture quality but this is what I have re any opportunity re adjustment;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191204_072415.jpg (989.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191204_072316.jpg (948.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191204_072340.jpg (1.11 MB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191204_072457.jpg (1.07 MB, 43 views)
Old 04-12-2019, 07:48 AM

philsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is herephilsick Sam the man is here
you'll have to get one of those valves changed to an adjustable jooby.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:55 AM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Get in your van Philsick and help your fellow palace out. It’s not far.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Boy View Post
Get in your van Philsick and help your fellow palace out. Itís not far.
dealing with a gas leak in lands end may find some time later
Old 04-12-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsick View Post
you'll have to get one of those valves changed to an adjustable jooby.
Cheers
Old 04-12-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Boy View Post
Get in your van Philsick and help your fellow palace out. Itís not far.
I know I may have moved a further 250 miles north of where I was living, but it is still only less than 700 miles from South London. Disappointing.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:29 AM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by philsick View Post
dealing with a gas leak in lands end may find some time later
Now thatís what i call service
Old 04-12-2019, 09:13 AM

Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Total speculation but ... I have a wireless thermostat so Iíd put that in the room with the problem radiator. I think I can adjust the water temperature at the boiler too (though it has to be reasonably high to prevent legionnaires). That said I have all new radiators with thermostatic valves and also as a result of said investment a heating engineer who generally comes pretty quickly.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:40 AM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
It looks as though both bottom ends of the radiator are capped??

Presumably you can turn both ends fully off and fully on.

If this is the first radiator on the run from the boiler then it will be the hottest unless you balance it with the other radiators. Presumably the other radiators are all working properly.

I suggest you watch one of the 'how do I balance my radiators' on YouTube. I used this one to balance a cold rad:

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Plus a more old school one:

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Also you probably need a new engineer!

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)
Old 04-12-2019, 09:46 AM
Once More Into The Fray

Joe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Away View Post
Total speculation but ... I have a wireless thermostat so Iíd put that in the room with the problem radiator. I think I can adjust the water temperature at the boiler too (though it has to be reasonably high to prevent legionnaires). That said I have all new radiators with thermostatic valves and also as a result of said investment a heating engineer who generally comes pretty quickly.
The legionnaires thing is a bit of a red herring. HWS needs to be stored at 60C and at the tap above 50 after 1 minute. This isnít really an issue for system water in a closed or open heating circuit. A, because itís not potable and B, because when they system isnít on itís highly likely to be sitting at room temperature (20-24) which is a nice temperature for legionella anyway.

Youíre unlikely to be circulating central heating water round your house below 50C.

In short, donít worry too much about Legionella in central heating water. Outlets such as taps and shower heads are the problem (particularly if scaled up, which aides bacterial growth) and your boiler should have independent set points for CH and HW.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:37 PM
Selhurst Heaven

chrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is here
Bleeding radiators !
Old 05-12-2019, 07:47 PM
SC's wet dream

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Use it to cook your dinner on.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:01 PM
Cruddy Clique

PALACEWU Sam the man is herePALACEWU Sam the man is herePALACEWU Sam the man is herePALACEWU Sam the man is herePALACEWU Sam the man is herePALACEWU Sam the man is herePALACEWU Sam the man is herePALACEWU Sam the man is herePALACEWU Sam the man is herePALACEWU Sam the man is herePALACEWU Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post
Cheers Philsick and Nostrils but to highlight my total ignorance of such things I am unsure what either of you are talking about ☹️

My phone is on its last legs so apologies re picture quality but this is what I have re any opportunity re adjustment;
Sorry not to offer any plumbing advice but have you tried cleaning your phone lense?
Old 05-12-2019, 08:31 PM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
I still want to know what type of engineer you called in for advice.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)
Old 05-12-2019, 09:29 PM

palacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_who_ru View Post
I still want to know what type of engineer you called in for advice.
The one that stokes the furnace.

Elgin.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:39 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
Use it to cook your dinner on.
Yeh, hog roast.