Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 05-10-2004, 10:15 AM
Anonymous Coward

SCUM that write viruses causing my PC to dial 090* numbers and generally screw up

That's all, really.

V pissed off.

Am I alone in thinking that the b*stards who write the things are the same ones who sell the antivirus software?
Old 05-10-2004, 10:16 AM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Yes.

You wouldn't get them if you use proper AV software...

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 05-10-2004, 10:16 AM
Doting Grandfather

BaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Re: SCUM that write viruses causing my PC to dial 090* numbers and generally screw up

Quote:
Originally posted by Gargoyle

Am I alone in thinking that the b*stards who write the things are the same ones who sell the antivirus software?
No - I also think that as well. If not written by them then sponsored by them to do it.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:17 AM
Doting Grandfather

BaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Maz
Yes.

You wouldn't get them if you use proper AV software...
Exactly the point he was making I think. Now he will have to go and get one.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:19 AM
Lost

ponypunter is happy as a lark and everything is fineponypunter is happy as a lark and everything is fineponypunter is happy as a lark and everything is fineponypunter is happy as a lark and everything is fineponypunter is happy as a lark and everything is fineponypunter is happy as a lark and everything is fineponypunter is happy as a lark and everything is fineponypunter is happy as a lark and everything is fineponypunter is happy as a lark and everything is fineponypunter is happy as a lark and everything is fineponypunter is happy as a lark and everything is fine
I don't know what the hell you are talking about, but poor you.

x
Old 05-10-2004, 10:20 AM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally posted by BaldEagle96
Exactly the point he was making I think. Now he will have to go and get one.
So the point he was making is that all viruses are either written by Symantec or Macafee?

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 05-10-2004, 10:36 AM
Non T-Total

Lion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Re: SCUM that write viruses causing my PC to dial 090* numbers and generally screw up

Quote:
That's all, really.

V pissed off.

I know a few people that have wrote them, and they certainly don't work for Antivirus firms.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:41 AM
Anonymous Coward

That's pretty much it Maz. It might be a tad Fox Mulder of me, but that's what I think.

I wouldn't mind so much if I'd been on a dodgy site (unless eBay counts as dodgy, but that's a rant for another time). My net connection is slow at the best of times and I accidentally clicked a pop-up and then all Hell broke loose.

I ended up with what appeared to be an infinite number of MSIE windows, all defaulting to one of those poxy 'search' pages, shitloads of spyware installing itself and my dialup defaulting to a premium rate number.

Meh. W*nkers.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:41 AM
Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: SCUM that write viruses causing my PC to dial 090* numbers and generally screw up

Quote:
Originally posted by Lion
I know a few people that have wrote them, and they certainly don't work for Antivirus firms.
Nice company you keep.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:43 AM
Non T-Total

Lion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLion : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Re: Re: Re: SCUM that write viruses causing my PC to dial 090* numbers and generally

Quote:
Nice company you keep.
I said I know them, I didn't say I liked them!
Old 05-10-2004, 10:44 AM
Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Re: Re: SCUM that write viruses causing my PC to dial 090* numbers and generally

Quote:
I didn't say you liked 'em either
Old 05-10-2004, 10:44 AM
what's going wrong today?

Simon A : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSimon A : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSimon A : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSimon A : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSimon A : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSimon A : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSimon A : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSimon A : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSimon A : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSimon A : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSimon A : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Sounds more like malware/hijack attempt than a virus.

get adaware and Spybot-search and destroy and run them with the latest updates ASAP
Old 05-10-2004, 10:54 AM
Anonymous Coward

Quote:
Originally posted by Simon A
Sounds more like malware than a virus.

get adaware and Spybot-search and destroy and run them with the latest updates ASAP
I'm going to spend the evening trying to sort it. The trouble is that until I can undo some of the damage I can't get online safely, never mind download any of the above. Bit screwed really. Cheers though.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:15 AM

Little Matt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittle Matt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittle Matt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittle Matt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittle Matt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittle Matt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittle Matt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittle Matt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittle Matt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittle Matt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittle Matt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Try ditching windows and running a decent operating system like Linux or OS X
Old 05-10-2004, 11:17 AM
it's a city you know...

st albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is here
this happened to me a few weeks back, bastards kept disconnecting my internet and redialing another number. then they managed to make it so that everytime i turned the computer on it would come onto a DOS screen where i couldn't do a thing, so had to fork out for someone to come out and fix it. now i have anti virus software and havent had any probs since
Old 05-10-2004, 11:18 AM
it's a city you know...

st albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is here
Re: Re: Re: Re: SCUM that write viruses causing my PC to dial 090* numbers and generally

Quote:
can you not shop them to the authorities?????!??
Old 05-10-2004, 11:20 AM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
Why not try Linux

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 05-10-2004, 11:22 AM
Sing now, godess.

wedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is here
or To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 05-10-2004, 11:25 AM
Flapping!!!!

Flappy Chicken came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFlappy Chicken came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFlappy Chicken came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFlappy Chicken came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFlappy Chicken came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFlappy Chicken came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFlappy Chicken came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFlappy Chicken came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFlappy Chicken came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFlappy Chicken came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFlappy Chicken came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Have been downloading PAWN?
Crystal Ball Top 20 2018/2019
Crystal Ball WINNER! 2019/2020

Vote Moo moo2
Old 05-10-2004, 11:27 AM
Non T-Total

Quote:
Originally posted by Simon A
Sounds more like malware/hijack attempt than a virus.

Also known as Trojen Dialers - they are a royal PITA.

Here's some advice that a company gives out

Quote:

Practical advise to preventing Internet Trojan diallers
The following are some steps you can take to prevent or remove the infection of Internet Trojan diallers.

1. Download and install a product called SpyBot Search and Destroy. After installation, first press Online, and search for, put a check mark at, and install all updates. Next, close all Internet Explorer windows, hit 'Check for Problems', have SpyBot remove all the items it marks in red.
2. Download and install a product called AdAware. After installation and before running the program, first press "check for updates now". Click "Connect" and install all updated components available. Click 'Finish'.Press "Scan Now", then 'next', and let Ad-Aware scan your drives. It will find a number of "bad" files and registry keys. Click 'Next' again. Check all found items, and click 'next' once more. It will ask you whether you'd like to remove all checked items. Click OK.

Always reboot the computer between each program - both of these may find things that they need to have a reboot of the machine to clear - please reboot and let them finish.

For those those using Internet Explore as their current browser it is advisable to change to a less vulnerable browser such as Firefox.. This browse will also let you block those annoying pop-up advertisements. This is a free download of 4.7M. Your favourites from your current browser will not be lost.

These measures will go some way to preventing Trojan diallers being uploaded on to your PC/MAC
Also, speak to your Telephone provider - tell them what has happened and some will wipe the numbers of your bill - there is a body that deals with these that you should report it to, but I can't remember the name - I'll find out for you asap.