Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 20-08-2015, 02:14 PM
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

Woosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigelbrag View Post
Some peoples expectations sometimes are too high, remember this is CPFC not City whereby we cant go out and bring in far better, if yes, Who? in reserve we have Mariappa, Kelly and Hunt, are they any better? No, but the answer could be Ward needs to be rested so as to re-access his game, and return better.
Yes he makes mistakes who doesn't, it's been mentioned just look at Ivanovic outstanding for years at the very highest level, yet this season (yes 2 games) his form has slipped, does that make him useless?
Sometimes fans just need to be patient and less demanding.
WRT Ward I don't see how people's expectations are too high. Yes, we are Palace, but that is not to say we cannot upgrade on Ward. I'm not for a second saying we need to get rid of Ward, but we should certainly have our eye on potential replacements if the need ever arose.

He has struggled for a while, and it is a concern. If you accept poor performances from players on a regular basis, or at least mediocre performances, then you will never progress away from this small-club mentality.

We need to give him a chance, it's early in the season. Nonetheless, supporters are entitled to expect more if we are to get to a higher level. I don't see anyone calling him useless, just highlighting concerns over his poor form.

Parish talked about our fans not having enough ambition, well, the ambition is that we secure ourselves as a mid-table Premier League side, and then we kick on year-on-year. Improvement is necessary, and if players aren't at the top of their game for a long time then it's time to consider whether they're right for the club.

I'll reiterate that I don't believe we should be at panic stations as Ward when on form is one of the best right backs in the league defensively (leaves a lot to be desired offensively still), but if, for the remainder of the season, he continues to struggle, then that would be the time to say what's wrong here, can we rectify it, if so, how, if not then get someone better in (if that is possible financially.)

www.itsoktotalk.wordpress.com

'it would be boring if they won every time right?'

To be, or not to be, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die, to sleep,
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
Old 20-08-2015, 02:42 PM
18 years for 3,670 posts

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosie View Post
(leaves a lot to be desired offensively still),
Steady..are you talking about Wardy, the goal machine..thats 2 goals now , isn't it ?
Old 20-08-2015, 02:50 PM

SmokeyStover7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmokeyStover7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmokeyStover7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmokeyStover7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmokeyStover7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmokeyStover7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmokeyStover7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmokeyStover7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmokeyStover7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmokeyStover7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmokeyStover7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
WRT Ward I don't see how people's expectations are too high. Yes, we are Palace, but that is not to say we cannot upgrade on Ward. I'm not for a second saying we need to get rid of Ward, but we should certainly have our eye on potential replacements if the need ever arose.

He has struggled for a while, and it is a concern. If you accept poor performances from players on a regular basis, or at least mediocre performances, then you will never progress away from this small-club mentality.

We need to give him a chance, it's early in the season. Nonetheless, supporters are entitled to expect more if we are to get to a higher level. I don't see anyone calling him useless, just highlighting concerns over his poor form.

Parish talked about our fans not having enough ambition, well, the ambition is that we secure ourselves as a mid-table Premier League side, and then we kick on year-on-year. Improvement is necessary, and if players aren't at the top of their game for a long time then it's time to consider whether they're right for the club.

I'll reiterate that I don't believe we should be at panic stations as Ward when on form is one of the best right backs in the league defensively (leaves a lot to be desired offensively still), but if, for the remainder of the season, he continues to struggle, then that would be the time to say what's wrong here, can we rectify it, if so, how, if not then get someone better in (if that is possible financially.)
Spot on.
Old 20-08-2015, 03:07 PM
Die seife bitte fräulein!

anti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyStover7 View Post
Do you even bother to read the thread first before spouting nonsense?
Right. So everyone agreed then, not one person slated Ward.

Thought not.
Old 20-08-2015, 03:12 PM
O Captain! My Captain!

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
Seems fairly obvious that he would struggle against Arsenal and against Sanchez and with nobody holding the midfield.

Lets see how he does on Saturday.
Old 20-08-2015, 03:26 PM
ár lá

Chocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub Idol View Post
Seems fairly obvious that he would struggle against Arsenal and against Sanchez and with nobody holding the midfield.

Lets see how he does on Saturday.
Why? Did Sanchez have some hypnotic power over him to make him stumble and fall about all game and duck when he's right up his arse on the far post? He just had a mare no matter who would've been against him that day. Move on and hope he puts it behind him and does well.

Who opened their lunch?
Old 20-08-2015, 03:30 PM

SmokeyStover7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmokeyStover7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmokeyStover7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmokeyStover7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmokeyStover7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmokeyStover7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmokeyStover7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmokeyStover7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmokeyStover7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmokeyStover7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSmokeyStover7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-addick View Post
Right. So everyone agreed then, not one person slated Ward.

Thought not.
You said "fickle idiots." I am not seeing may people changing their opinion because of one game, but instead due to a sustained and prolonged dip in form. No one is saying Ward is useless or that he hasn't contributed to getting us to where we are now.
Old 20-08-2015, 03:53 PM

Nigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

I am confused by your response, whether you agreed or disagreed with my comments.
Firstly the expectations I refer to are being, not so long ago Ward was being hailed as one of the best RB's in the league by many on the BBS and worthy of being chosen by England. Now after TWO (early season) league games when admittedly not at his best is being heavily criticized by some for not turning in the perfect performance. Of course everyone is entitled to voice their opinions and views, but the point I was making was lets give the guy a chance afterall he was Not that bad and scored wonderful goal lets not forget. Ok he would know he made errors as he also did at Norwich, but as I stated maybe the answer is he is rested to reflect and come back stronger.
You talk about looking at potential replacements, I ask who can we attract that is much better? knowing how highly he was thought of not so long ago by our very own fans, surely just accept with this blip he simply needs to be taken out of the firing line for a few games if need be.
You talk about accepting mediocre performances, and be seen as having a small club mentality and halting progress, no, but just the reality of many players not being at their best in early season as we have seen in the case of Wayne Rooney currently. Does that make him a bad player?
We area team/club in progress of that there is no doubt, it is a question of all fans accepting it is a gradual process and being patient, including players performances even when sub standard.
Old 20-08-2015, 04:09 PM
Die seife bitte fräulein!

anti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyStover7 View Post
You said "fickle idiots." I am not seeing may people changing their opinion because of one game, but instead due to a sustained and prolonged dip in form. No one is saying Ward is useless or that he hasn't contributed to getting us to where we are now.
They are the fickle idiots, couldn't you work that out?
Old 20-08-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigelbrag View Post
I am confused by your response, whether you agreed or disagreed with my comments.
Firstly the expectations I refer to are being, not so long ago Ward was being hailed as one of the best RB's in the league by many on the BBS and worthy of being chosen by England. Now after TWO (early season) league games when admittedly not at his best is being heavily criticized by some for not turning in the perfect performance. Of course everyone is entitled to voice their opinions and views, but the point I was making was lets give the guy a chance afterall he was Not that bad and scored wonderful goal lets not forget. Ok he would know he made errors as he also did at Norwich, but as I stated maybe the answer is he is rested to reflect and come back stronger.
You talk about looking at potential replacements, I ask who can we attract that is much better? knowing how highly he was thought of not so long ago by our very own fans, surely just accept with this blip he simply needs to be taken out of the firing line for a few games if need be.
You talk about accepting mediocre performances, and be seen as having a small club mentality and halting progress, no, but just the reality of many players not being at their best in early season as we have seen in the case of Wayne Rooney currently. Does that make him a bad player?
We area team/club in progress of that there is no doubt, it is a question of all fans accepting it is a gradual process and being patient, including players performances even when sub standard.
The problem is his dip in form has gone on for over a year. When people on the BBS were wrongly calling him England quality, that was under Pulis in his full back friendly scheme. He has not been the same player since. No one is getting on his back just because he started the season slowly.
Old 20-08-2015, 04:40 PM

Good Shipp came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGood Shipp came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGood Shipp came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGood Shipp came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGood Shipp came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGood Shipp came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGood Shipp came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGood Shipp came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGood Shipp came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGood Shipp came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGood Shipp came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I don't think Joel Ward should be singled out. I think that the lack of clean sheets is concerning but perhaps a by product of the way we play now. We really have gone full circle from the early Pulis days. Having said all that I don't think Ward should be automatically on the team sheet anymore. Of our defenders only Dann deserves that status. Mariappa and Kelly are more than worthy of inclusion if Ward or Souare are not at the races. Similarly Hangeland for Delaney.
Old 20-08-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Shipp View Post
I don't think Joel Ward should be singled out. I think that the lack of clean sheets is concerning but perhaps a by product of the way we play now. We really have gone full circle from the early Pulis days. Having said all that I don't think Ward should be automatically on the team sheet anymore. Of our defenders only Dann deserves that status. Mariappa and Kelly are more than worthy of inclusion if Ward or Souare are not at the races. Similarly Hangeland for Delaney.
I do wonder whether Mariappa may be a slightly better fit for our current system. Under Pulis our fullbacks were essentially outside center backs which suited Ward. Now they are much more exposed and Ward often gets beaten for pace. Souare seems to fit the system very well.
Old 22-08-2015, 06:22 PM
100% CPFC.

Malarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is here
Better today. Struggled at first to defend against Agbonlahor, but eventually found his feet. Also, I thought he made some great attacking runs in the second half.
Old 22-08-2015, 06:25 PM

Thefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is hereThefunkymonk Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarkey View Post
Better today. Struggled at first to defend against Agbonlahor, but eventually found his feet. Also, I thought he made some great attacking runs in the second half.
Not sure he was.. He was against weaker opposition today and if it wasn't for agnonlahor being shit we wouldn't of got away with a few of his mistakes today. Dunno what's up with him.. He was Mr reliable last season... Hopefully a blip inform and he picks back up.
Old 22-08-2015, 06:32 PM

Spender : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpender : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpender : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpender : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpender : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpender : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpender : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpender : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpender : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpender : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSpender : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
He looks a weakness now that we are trying to step up a level. Good honest player with limitations in pace and ball control. In fairness to him he seemed to get no
Protective help at all from our midfield today.
Old 22-08-2015, 06:36 PM
Hadron Collider

in-exile has disabled reputation
Love Ward but he's been let down by lack of our midfield to help out and cover him!
Old 22-08-2015, 06:45 PM
N14 and not so proud...

SOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is here
IMO, we can't keep getting away with playing only one of McJedley in midfield and the knock on is that Ward is looking the most exposed in our defence. If we are going to persist with playing a midfield of Punch, Cabaye and McA, then I think Mariappa's foot speed is a better option for when we get overrun at times.
Old 22-08-2015, 06:47 PM

MAX came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMAX came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMAX came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMAX came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMAX came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMAX came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMAX came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMAX came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMAX came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMAX came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMAX came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Looked as though he did not have any positional sense at all. Like a fish out of water. Would give Mariappa a go, particularly as he is so good at supporting Wilf or Bolasie.
Old 22-08-2015, 06:48 PM

CharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is here
I think this is the point where Santon just may be an improvement on Ward or at least provide some very good competition.

Clinton Morrison.
Old 22-08-2015, 07:48 PM

Penstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is here
Poor today, gets done time and time again for pace.

Said it before, improve this back 4 or make sure we score 2 or 3 goals a game, because we are going to concede goals.