Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Up the Palace!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
AFC Wimbledon thread

I'm sure i'll get some stick for it, but I've followed AFC Wimbledon's results for quite a few years now and even now still look out for them in the Football League. I'm sure there must be some other people on here who don't dislike them...

I'll start off with the news that AFC Wimbledon have released 9 players... They didn't exactly have a big squad last season so it's intriguing to see who they'll bring in.

Jack Turner (Goalkeeper)
Chris Bush (Right Back)
Fraser Franks (Centre Back)
Gareth Gwillim (Left Back)
Brett Johnson (Centre Back)
Jamie Stuart (Centre Back & Captain)
Reece Jones (???)
Ricky Wellard (Centre Mid)
Kieran Djilali (Winger)

This is in addition to Ryan Jackson, Lee Minshull, James Mulley and Max Porter, who were all told in January that they would be leaving.

Weird that they've released their whole starting Back 4. Obviously the manager sees that as their real weakness. Also their back up keeper has gone, although I did read an article from the other week where it was mentioned he seemed to go for shots with his legs rather than his hands!
Old 09-05-2012, 10:45 AM

Diehard : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDiehard : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDiehard : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDiehard : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDiehard : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDiehard : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDiehard : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDiehard : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDiehard : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDiehard : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDiehard : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Djalli ? Leaving? Surprising...
Lee Minishull too...perhaps if will come back to Tonbridge Angels but I suspect we can no longer afford him!

I like AFC Wimbledon too having had a soft spot for the original Wimbledon as I used to go with my Grandad to see them when my Dad and I weren't watching Palace. I have so much admiration for their fans. Proper diehard fans who put their club first. I hope that when we get to play them our fans give them a standing ovation because they have proven what can be done to save a football club in the direst of circumstances

Last edited by Diehard; 09-05-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Up the Palace!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Going on the subject of Wimbledon FC I didn't know this until the other day but not only did they have their club ripped away from them, had no proper ground of their own for over 10 years but also when they changed their kit from Royal Blue to Navy their fans absolutely hated it, but the owners (Hammam I think) didn't give a crap and went along with it anyway.

I'd always associated Wimbledon with Navy Blue but it seems that they only ever played in it for about 10 seasons from 1992 onwards.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:52 AM

Sodermalm Sam the man is hereSodermalm Sam the man is hereSodermalm Sam the man is hereSodermalm Sam the man is hereSodermalm Sam the man is hereSodermalm Sam the man is hereSodermalm Sam the man is hereSodermalm Sam the man is hereSodermalm Sam the man is hereSodermalm Sam the man is hereSodermalm Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard
Lee Minishull too...perhaps if will come back to Tonbridge Angels but I suspect we can no longer afford him!

I like AFC Wimbledon too having had a soft spot for the original Wimbledon as I used to go with my Grandad to see them when my Dad and I weren't watching Palace. I have so much admiration for their fans. Proper diehard fans who put their club first. I hope that when we get to play them our fans give them a standing ovation because they have proven what can be done to save a football club in the direst of circumstances
If we play them many of the AFC Wimbledon fans would spend the game singing anti-Palace songs. So, no, I wouldn't give them a standing ovation, the club have done well but I want them to lose almost every game.

Many of their fans also behaved like arrogant premier top-four supporters when they were working their way through the non-leagues - ask Whyteleafe, Dulwich and many others. Disrespectful scum a lot of them.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Up the Palace!!!

I can't really comment on what's gone before but I have always had an interest in the club mainly for the same reasons as Diehard when I was younger my Dad and I used to go and watch a game every so often when Palace were away. It must be hard though, their supporters of course probably still felt they were a big club because as far as they were concerned AFC Wimbledon are the same club as Wimbledon FC.

It's good to see another South London Club in the league. I have to admit towards the end of Wimbledon FC being in existence them and their fans did start to pis me off a bit. I don't know if it was just the whole situation and they felt that as we were closest they'd take it out on us but certainly as far as AFC Wimbledon go I have no problems with them, even with the anti Palace songs. They have to have a rival of some sort even if we don't care. Are we their local club?
Old 09-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Sir Roy

TheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is here
I always found it a huge irony when AFC decided to buy another teams ground and turn into in their own ground.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Up the Palace!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMexicanHorse
I always found it a huge irony when AFC decided to buy another teams ground and turn into in their own ground.
They kind of did Kingstonian a favour as they were in trouble and could afford the ground? But I wouldn't say they treat it as their "own ground". They're certainly still looking to move back to the Merton area as soon as they can.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:25 PM

CommercialStone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCommercialStone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCommercialStone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCommercialStone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCommercialStone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCommercialStone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCommercialStone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCommercialStone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCommercialStone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCommercialStone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCommercialStone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard

The Angels are going to have to tighten their purse strings this summer. I would think they're be letting afew go, rather than taking people back....
Old 09-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Multum in parvo

Lee Farmie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLee Farmie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLee Farmie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLee Farmie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLee Farmie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLee Farmie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLee Farmie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLee Farmie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLee Farmie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLee Farmie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLee Farmie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodermalm
Many of their fans also behaved like arrogant premier top-four supporters when they were working their way through the non-leagues - ask Whyteleafe, Dulwich and many others. Disrespectful scum a lot of them.

What annoyed me was the holier than thou attitude they held - like they invented fan-owned football. A very high proportion of non league clubs (roughly half of all Ryman League for example) are sports clubs run by volunteers and owned by members. For all the jibber jabber discussion in AFCW's "Weirdandwonderful" chat room, your average non league club member has considerably more say in how their club is run than your average paid up AFCW fan "owner".
Old 09-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Ale Enthusiast

Absolution : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAbsolution : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAbsolution : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAbsolution : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAbsolution : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAbsolution : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAbsolution : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAbsolution : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAbsolution : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAbsolution : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAbsolution : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I know they are widely disliked in the Non-League, but I guess I still have more time for them than "FC United" or a copycat side like that.

Good luck to them, but I can't see them having much upwards movement from where they are now. Maybe they could be a lower-half League One side, as they have attendances to match most of the mid-table sides in that league.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Up the Palace!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolution
I know they are widely disliked in the Non-League, but I guess I still have more time for them than "FC United" or a copycat side like that.

Good luck to them, but I can't see them having much upwards movement from where they are now. Maybe they could be a lower-half League One side, as they have attendances to match most of the mid-table sides in that league.
As much as I'd like to see AFC Wimbledon climb back up the leagues I agree... Mid table League 1 is probably the highest I can see them getting at least for some time. I am not sure how their structure will work further up the League ladder, but certainly the money, and probbaly the crowds just aren't there right now. It kind of goes to show in a way just how much, and how often Wimbledon FC used to over achieve in a sense. Even when they "died" they were still an upper half Championship team.

Not bad for a relatively small club, with a lot of bigger clubs around them.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:25 PM
Die adler

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle
Going on the subject of Wimbledon FC I didn't know this until the other day but not only did they have their club ripped away from them, had no proper ground of their own for over 10 years but also when they changed their kit from Royal Blue to Navy their fans absolutely hated it, but the owners (Hammam I think) didn't give a crap and went along with it anyway.

I'd always associated Wimbledon with Navy Blue but it seems that they only ever played in it for about 10 seasons from 1992 onwards.
They won the FA cup in 1988 wearing Blue & yellow.... Did you not now that ?
Old 09-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Up the Palace!!!

I have seen the footage yes! But for reason probably because for most of the time I can actually remember they wore the Navy Blue rather than the Royal Blue.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:49 AM
Up the Palace!!!

Terry Brown explains his Wimbledon spring clean

Ending on a high: Terry Brown, far left, and players applaud the fans after Saturday's season-ending 3-1 win over Shrewsbury Town Terry Brown gave his AFC Wimbledon squad a spring clean on Tuesday by wielding the axe on nine more Dons careers.

Jamie Stuart, Brett Johnson, Chris Bush, Gareth Gwillim, Keiran Djilali, Jack Turner, Ricky Wellard, Fraser Franks and Reece Jones were all released to add to James Mulley, Lee Minshull, Max Porter and Ryan Jackson, who were told in January they would not be kept beyond the season's end.

It leaves only six members of last year's promotion-winning squad with the Dons but Brown felt it had to be done after seeing his team finish 16th in League Two following Saturday's 3-1 win over promoted Shrewsbury Town.

"It was more than I would have wanted to release," he said.

"I would like to have kept more if I could have but sometimes you need to spring clean and that's what we have done.

"It is always very difficult, especially when the players have been with you a while.

"Those boys have really put in a shift and it has been a pleasure to work with them.

"They have helped get this club up and they should take a lot pride out of that - no one will ever do that for AFC Wimbledon again, hopefully.

"Some of them have had good years and as a manager you always have to try and do what Sir Alex does and look to the future.

"We took a big look at where we are defensively and I felt we needed to make those changes in the whole back four."

The sweeping changes leaves the Dons with just 12 senior players if Seb Brown, Sam Hatton, Jack Midson, Luke Moore, Christian Jolley, Sammy Moore, Mat Mitchel-King and Rashid Yussuff all agree new contracts.

But Brown insisted releasing so many players was not a risky strategy.

"When you first start out in this game you want to cover every base as soon as you can," he added.

"But, over the years, I have missed out on some fantastic players who are playing at a much higher level now because I filled my spaces too early and was not patient.

"There will be players now who think they are going to get a quality League Two club but when they don't we need to leave a space or two in our squad for them.

"My aim is to get the spine of the team sorted as soon as possible.

"I am keeping Mat Mitchel-King as a centre half and Jack Midson and Sammy Moore are still contracted to us and have another year, we are just talking to them about improved deals.

"I want to get another centre half, midfielder and striker sorted so the spine is done."
Old 15-05-2012, 12:03 PM
Up the Palace!!!

Squad update: Sam Hatton is released

Terry Brown has decided to release Sam Hatton after careful consideration with the player about his future.

Following discussions with Hatton yesterday, AFC Wimbledon will not be taking up the option on the right-back's contract and he has therefore been released. The club wishes to thank Hatton for his contribution after almost five years with the Dons.

Terry Brown said: "Sam was one of my first signings when I took over after a recommendation from Jason Goodliffe. He has been a fantastic servant to the club. He was instrumental in taking us from the Ryman League to the Football League and I have no doubt that he will continue to have a successful career in football. Releasing Sam was definitely one of the hardest decisions I have had to make as a manager."

AFC Wimbledon have so far taken up options on the following players: Mat Mitchel-King, Rashid Yussuff, Christian Jolley and Luke Moore. Sammy Moore has signed a new contract, while Callum McNaughton, Jason Prior, Brendan Kiernan and Byron Harrison are all under contract for next season. Discussions with other players in our squad from last season are ongoing.

Current Squad players:
1. Seb Brown - Goalkeeper
2. Mat Mitchel-King - Right Back / Centre Back
3. Callum McNaughton - Centre Back
4. Sammy Moore - Central Midfielder
5. Rashid Yussuff - Central Midfielder
6. Christian Jolley - Winger
7. Brendan Kiernan - Winger
8. Luke Moore - Attacking CM / Forward
9. Jack Midson - Striker
10. Byron Harrison - Striker
11. Jason Prior - Striker
Old 17-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Up the Palace!!!

Quite surprised by this news...

Marcus Gayle leaves the Dons for Staines Town job

AFC Wimbledon have confirmed that Marcus Gayle has left the club to become Staines Town's new manager.

Having enjoyed success as AFC Wimbledon's reserve team boss, Marcus has decided to take the next step in his career at Staines Town and he was due to be unveiled as Steve Cordery's successor at a press conference tonight. Marcus remains a firm favourite with the Dons faithful after playing for both Wimbledon and AFC Wimbledon, before taking his first steps into management with us. He played 285 games for Wimbledon, scoring 47 goals, between 1994 and 2001, and six years later he became Terry Brown's first signing as manager of the Dons. Ironically, Marcus played his last game for our first-team in 2008 against Staines Town in the Ryman Premier play-off final, helping the Dons into the Blue Square South.

Since taking over as reserve team boss in 2008, Marcus has guided several players into the first-team, along with winning plenty of silverware, and he ended on a high by leading his side to the Suburban League Shield with a 2-1 win against Eastbourne Borough earlier this month. AFC Wimbledon wish Marcus every success in his new role as manager of Blue Square South club Staines Town.
Old 17-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Multum in parvo

Lee Farmie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLee Farmie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLee Farmie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLee Farmie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLee Farmie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLee Farmie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLee Farmie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLee Farmie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLee Farmie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLee Farmie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLee Farmie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
So, they're knocking down the Savacentre in Colliers Wood and build AFCW a new stadium there. Is that right?
Old 17-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Up the Palace!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Farmie
So, they're knocking down the Savacentre in Colliers Wood and build AFCW a new stadium there. Is that right?
Is that true? Would be a great shame as we always go in there after we've been to Eddie Catz with our boy to get some lunch.

Revealed: Shock plans to bring AFC Wimbledon to Colliers Wood
8:52am Thursday 17th May 2012 in Wimbledon

Merton Council plans to provide space for a football stadium by knocking down the Savacentre in Merantun Way. Sainsburys and M&S would be relocated

Plans to bring AFC Wimbledon to Colliers Wood have been drawn up by the council alongside massive regenerations plans for the area, we can reveal.

The Wimbledon Guardian understands proposals for a football stadium on the site of the Savacentre in Merantun Way, currently home to Sainsbury’s and Marks and Spencer, are being worked on by planners.

In what is being called the "Merantun Way transformation and AFC Wimbledon master plan", it has also emerged insurance giant Aviva has been identified as a developer to build a mixed use development of 1,000 new homes along with the 20,000-seater stadium.

The revelation comes just days after separate plans emerged from a property developer to demolish Wimbledon greyhound stadium in Plough Lane and replace it with up to 800 flats and a cinema.

AFC Wimbledon – which later this month will celebrate their 10th anniversary after Wimbledon FC was ripped from Plough Lane and taken to Milton Keynes – have long held aspirations to move back to Merton from Kingston.

It was believed the council had paved the way for the football club to move to Plough Lane after it earmarked the greyhound stadium site for “sporting intensification”, while the Merantun Way plans were never talked about publically.

Plough Lane remains the preferred site for AFC Wimbledon’s homecoming, the council leader insisted, despite the revelation that planners had also identified Colliers Wood as a potential site.

Councillor Stephen Alambritis said the Savacentre had been discussed with AFC Wimbledon as a potential site but that it was on a shortlist of potential venues, including a ground-share with Tooting and Mitcham Football Club in Imperial Fields – an option sources have ruled out.

He said: “The dog track is preferred but if AFC Wimbledon wanted to look at Merantun Way, it is for them to have decisions with our planners about that.

"We want them back in Merton and yes, we have big ambitions for the Colliers Wood area.

"AFC Wimbledon has spotted that and the appeal of the SW19 brand it has.”

He added any development of the Plough Lane site would need to include an intensive sport offering.

Instead, the council has proposed alternative sites in which to relocate Sainsbury’s and M&S.

The plans are part of ambitious regenerations plans for the wider area, including turning Merantun Way into a “boulevard”, as described earlier this year by Councillor Andrew Judge, the council’s head of regeneration policy.

The council has been allocated cash from the Mayor of London which includes £1m for revamping Merantun Way with adding footpaths, cycle paths and better access to Merton Abbey Mills

Last edited by Latvian Eagle; 17-05-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 17-05-2012, 01:41 PM

Ryan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Haven't AFC just ripped down the old away end though? I don't know that it is the specific away end I haven't been there since they played Bromley in the Conference South.
Old 17-05-2012, 01:45 PM
Up the Palace!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_the_eagle
Haven't AFC just ripped down the old away end though? I don't know that it is the specific away end I haven't been there since they played Bromley in the Conference South.
AFC Wimbledon are working on one of the end stands at Kingsmeadow, but either way if AFC Wimbledon move to Colliers Wood I imagine Kingstonian will remain where they are?!