Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 23-06-2019, 03:01 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
CONCACAF Gold Cup

Watching USA v Trinidad & Tobago game.

Some thoughts:

Why is the USA goalkeeper the captain, when obviously Bradley is (see pre-match huddle)

Pulsic is no Hazard

The commentators have spent more time talking about Jozy Altidore (who is a sub) than the players on the pitch.

Why is the stadium (more than) half empty?

Why are all these tournaments playing "We're the Red & Blue Army" after a team scores?

Not very good versions or "We Love You" from the US crowd.

I'm quite liking the Honduran referee, plus no VAR for this game.
Old 23-06-2019, 03:39 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Currently 4-0 to US with 15 minutes to play... God I hate the US team!
Old 23-06-2019, 03:58 AM
The Spiky One

Ended 6-0.

The USA are a big fish in a very small pond... USA population is 300M+ have beaten two teams whose combined population is about that of Scunthorpe.

Next...
Old 23-06-2019, 09:02 AM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
Watching USA v Trinidad & Tobago game.

Some thoughts:

Why is the USA goalkeeper the captain, when obviously Bradley is (see pre-match huddle)

Pulsic is no Hazard

The commentators have spent more time talking about Jozy Altidore (who is a sub) than the players on the pitch.

Why is the stadium (more than) half empty?

Why are all these tournaments playing "We're the Red & Blue Army" after a team scores?

Not very good versions or "We Love You" from the US crowd.

I'm quite liking the Honduran referee, plus no VAR for this game.
He’s far from even being a Wilf yet. Think lots of Chelsea fans who don’t know much about him will be disappointed next season. Tonnes of talent and potential but far from the finished article.
Old 25-06-2019, 04:02 AM
The Spiky One

Watching Haiti v Costa Rica. Half time 1-0 to CR after a rather unavoidable own goal by a Haiti defender.

Haiti are doing much better than I expected them to be doing. Either that or Costa Rica are not as good as I expected. Didn't that Ruiz guy play for Fulham?

No VAR which is pleasant! One penalty appeal by Haiti that may have had some merit, and I'm sure would have been reviewed for five minutes dissecting every angle available, and then possible given it. Frankly as a neutral, it was borderline, so play on was a good call.

Have to say after watching the Copa America game (Chile v Uruguay) before this one, and the US ladies v Spain earlier, I can't wait to see Palace in action again. I can only take so much of either bad football, or bad sportsmanship (dirty play or play acting).
Old 25-06-2019, 04:04 AM
The Spiky One

Oh, and the Haiti goalkeeper reminds me of Neil Ruddock on steroids!
Old 25-06-2019, 05:40 AM
The Spiky One

Amazingly Haiti won 2-1. Happy for them. It was actually a pretty good game in it's own way.

First Haiti goal was a penalty. The Costa Rica defender ran across the path of the Haiti player, which to an old fart like me would seem to be obstruction, and an indirect free kick, not a penalty. Is obstruction a thing of the past now, and there is no such thing anymore? Never see it given... it's always a direct free kick/penalty.
Old 25-06-2019, 09:48 AM

Eaglesfan1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesfan1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesfan1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesfan1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesfan1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesfan1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesfan1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesfan1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesfan1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesfan1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesfan1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Amazingly Haiti won 2-1. Happy for them. It was actually a pretty good game in it's own way.

First Haiti goal was a penalty. The Costa Rica defender ran across the path of the Haiti player, which to an old fart like me would seem to be obstruction, and an indirect free kick, not a penalty. Is obstruction a thing of the past now, and there is no such thing anymore? Never see it given... it's always a direct free kick/penalty.
Laws say that obstruction with contact= penalty
Old 25-06-2019, 04:46 PM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan1 View Post
Laws say that obstruction with contact= penalty
Is that new/changed over the last 30 years? If a defender runs across the path of an attacker, and they collide, but there were no tangling of feet or arms involved, did that not used to be obstruction? Under your definition (which I'm not questioning) I don't see how you would ever get an obstruction call? Which is maybe the point.
Old 25-06-2019, 04:50 PM
The Spiky One

I found this, which "sort" of explains it... but is a bit wishy washy if you ask me.

Seem it changed in 1997.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 26-06-2019, 04:09 AM
The Spiky One

Final: Jamaica 1 Curacao 1

Curacao with a screamer of an equalizer in injury time. I thought they were better team... very European style of play.

Whether Curacao advance is dependent on the second game coming up (El Salvador v Honduras). Curacao have to hope Honduras win from what I can see.

I wondered why the stadium was filling up as the game went on, then I figured out the second game follows on 30 minutes after the end of the first one.
Old 26-06-2019, 05:31 AM
Ex-Connecticut

CT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is here
Night off for the Copa America.
Which has no relationship to the Gold Cup, but I just wanted to say I wasn't being serious when I told you to get your own thread Bob
Old 26-06-2019, 05:57 AM
The Spiky One

No it needed it’s own thread. I’m confused about which tournament I’m watching, and I should know better, so best to separate them.

If the USA can’t win this (or lose to Mexico) then they are in serious trouble. I was hearing today they have some toxic back room people who need to be removed. Including Gregg Berhalter’s brother who is an executive of some sort. Sounds like questions are being asked.
Old 26-06-2019, 06:29 AM
The Spiky One

Honduras win 4-0. Didn’t see that one coming either. So Curacao go through. Something almost fishy here, but I’m not sure what!
Old 26-06-2019, 08:29 PM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Honduras win 4-0. Didn’t see that one coming either. So Curacao go through. Something almost fishy here, but I’m not sure what!
Commentator got a bit excited...

Old 26-06-2019, 10:12 PM
Call me Ishmael

ebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is here
Curacao has a football team?! Its a country?!

One the odd occasion I notice the place, I presumed it was part of Venezuela or a Dutch dependency.
Old 26-06-2019, 10:13 PM
Call me Ishmael

ebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:

Pulsic is no Hazard
Certainly hoping that's the case this season.

Last edited by ebyeeckeagle; 26-06-2019 at 11:13 PM.
Old 26-06-2019, 10:27 PM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyeeckeagle View Post
Curacao has a football team?! Its a country?!

One the odd occasion I notice the place, I presumed it was part of Venezuela or a Dutch dependency.
I for one went scrambling to Google Maps when I first saw they were in the tournament. I read they are a former Dutch dependency, so you are right. I believe the coach is dutch, but that might just be a coincidence.

The other one is Guyana... which I also had to look up. (embarrassed to say, I thought it was in Africa!). I read somewhere that 12 of the 23 man squad were born in England, included ex-Palace man Neil Danns!
Old 26-06-2019, 11:17 PM
Call me Ishmael

Guyana is our ex colony. The great Clive Lloyd was from there.
Old 26-06-2019, 11:25 PM
The Spiky One

I'm surprised it's considered part of the West Indies (for cricket purposes anyway) being as it is on the mainland South America.