Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:01 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Final: 3-1 US

Score flatters them a bit in the end. Last goal came when Jam were throwing everything at The US to get the equalizer.

The US don't like it "up them"... something Mexico might do to them in the final. Mexico have been crap though, so I wouldn't like to call the winner.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:29 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Final going on now. Lively start. Altidore (sp) is a Benteke light!
Old 08-07-2019, 03:43 AM
The Spiky One

I always love Mexico’s passion, but at the end of the day they really are not that good. US are going to win this I fear.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:34 AM
Ex-Connecticut

CT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is here
I hope you didn't have any money on the game H!
Old 08-07-2019, 06:10 AM
The Spiky One

No I didn't. Thank **** Mexico won. Would never hear the end of it if they hadn't.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:27 AM
Since '67

ozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
No I didn't. Thank **** Mexico won. Would never hear the end of it if they hadn't.
Just a observation, although I'm relating this from an Australian perspective.

Soccer as they call it here, football it will always be amongst the aficionados is such a poor relation to the other football codes, although improving that I back the Australian team with all of my heart. Reason being I want football to be the No1 sport in this country. It suffers so much bad press so much bad attitude from the general public here that it really needs as much support as it can get, so I have no qualms about supporting Australia at all. In fact I wish the locals would carry on more about Australian national team.

Don't you have those obstacles in the US?
Old 08-07-2019, 05:04 PM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzieEagle View Post
Soccer as they call it here, football it will always be amongst the aficionados is such a poor relation to the other football codes, although improving that I back the Australian team with all of my heart. Reason being I want football to be the No1 sport in this country. It suffers so much bad press so much bad attitude from the general public here that it really needs as much support as it can get, so I have no qualms about supporting Australia at all. In fact I wish the locals would carry on more about Australian national team.

Don't you have those obstacles in the US?
That's a heavy question for first thing Monday morning.

Let me digest it, and I'll get back to you!
Old 08-07-2019, 11:14 PM
The Spiky One

OK... more awake now.

It appears to me that there is very little interest in the US Men's National team here. Case in point last nights Gold Cup final was played in Chicago. I believe the attendance was about 62,000 of which (per the commentators) was 90% Mexican, or at least rooting for Mexico.

This could be for a few reasons... some that come to mind is 1) American's will generally only want to follow a winner, or the best, at whatever sport it may be. USA Soccer is not at that point. 2) Many many people are from different countries, and as such still keep their affiliation with their home country... see Mexico above. I certainly still root for England over The US. 3) Soccer still has somewhat of an elitist stigma attached to it (white college boys sport). This is slowly changing I feel, but it is going to take a while. I could go on... but you get the point.

Now as for club teams (MLS), they are coming on leaps and bounds, and get fantastic attendances, and cities are falling over themselves trying to get a team for the MLS. I think the success is due to the converse reasons to those I give above that the national team struggles with support. The players are from around the world, the fans from around the world can be united in the support for their "local" team because they love watching soccer. The players on the pitch are a mixture of kids who came through the US college systems and overseas players from journeymen to aging superstars.

I've found a satellite radio station here that is devoted to soccer 24/7... and their criticism of the nation team is relentless. Personally I feel to an extent they can only play as well as what is put in front of them... all the time they are playing the likes of Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana and Curacao they are not going to improve. They need to get themselves into games against the elite of South America and Europe if they are going to improve.

Personally I thought they have been playing pretty well, and have some good players, but they also have have aging ones that Gregg Berhalter seems to be sticking with, which seems a bit odd at this stage.

I'm not sure if any of this answers your question OE? It sounds to me that the issues maybe similar to those you describe in Oz. Exception is, I can't bring myself to get behind the US National team, for no reason other than I'm Palace first and England second, and despite being a US citizen cannot bring myself to want them to win regardless of who they are playing.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:41 PM
Call me Ishmael

ebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is here
Cheers H. Been interesting reading the posts - more than the actual football at times!!!
Old 08-07-2019, 11:52 PM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyeeckeagle View Post
Cheers H. Been interesting reading the posts - more than the actual football at times!!!
Thanks... I started the thread, so thought I better follow through to the end with it.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:12 AM
Since '67

ozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
OK... more awake now.

It appears to me that there is very little interest in the US Men's National team here. Case in point last nights Gold Cup final was played in Chicago. I believe the attendance was about 62,000 of which (per the commentators) was 90% Mexican, or at least rooting for Mexico.

This could be for a few reasons... some that come to mind is 1) American's will generally only want to follow a winner, or the best, at whatever sport it may be. USA Soccer is not at that point. 2) Many many people are from different countries, and as such still keep their affiliation with their home country... see Mexico above. I certainly still root for England over The US. 3) Soccer still has somewhat of an elitist stigma attached to it (white college boys sport). This is slowly changing I feel, but it is going to take a while. I could go on... but you get the point.

Now as for club teams (MLS), they are coming on leaps and bounds, and get fantastic attendances, and cities are falling over themselves trying to get a team for the MLS. I think the success is due to the converse reasons to those I give above that the national team struggles with support. The players are from around the world, the fans from around the world can be united in the support for their "local" team because they love watching soccer. The players on the pitch are a mixture of kids who came through the US college systems and overseas players from journeymen to aging superstars.

I've found a satellite radio station here that is devoted to soccer 24/7... and their criticism of the nation team is relentless. Personally I feel to an extent they can only play as well as what is put in front of them... all the time they are playing the likes of Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana and Curacao they are not going to improve. They need to get themselves into games against the elite of South America and Europe if they are going to improve.

Personally I thought they have been playing pretty well, and have some good players, but they also have have aging ones that Gregg Berhalter seems to be sticking with, which seems a bit odd at this stage.

I'm not sure if any of this answers your question OE? It sounds to me that the issues maybe similar to those you describe in Oz. Exception is, I can't bring myself to get behind the US National team, for no reason other than I'm Palace first and England second, and despite being a US citizen cannot bring myself to want them to win regardless of who they are playing.
Great explanation. I think where Australia is different is football has an even lower profile and more bad press than the US. There was a strong Palace connection for the Australian team to become more into the public fold. When Terry Veneables managed Australia he actually managed to get front page headlines around the country for our sport for the first time in history.

Since that time, I've really been into the Australian team, especially as they've come from so far behind the rest of the world to almost a middle power football nation now.

The A league has helped as well, as that filled the space where I could go follow live football, missing live football was probably the biggest hole in my life in Australia.. Met some incredibly interesting people at Melbourne Victory from all around the world. Plenty of Aussie born and breds follow the game. However the support is so multi cultural that it's just such a pleasure being amongst real football lovers from all parts of the globe. Got some really great Serbian and Argentinian mates from following Victory. Which means I've got a first class route to decent drinking Rakija whilst indulging in an South American Asado, with Jimmy Barnes or John Farnham playing on the Bluetooth

The game here is in a bit of a lull at present. However it's come a long way and I'm sure Australia will slowly improve it's Fifa Stature ratings.

My own personal dream now, is to see Melbourne Victory become a world wide household name. I think it will happen eventually but it may take a hell of a long time. God knows they've got the support capacity.

Good to touch base with you on this subject.
Old 29-06-2023, 02:34 AM
The Spiky One

Watching this years rendition.

Currently watching Jamaica v Trinidad & Tobago. HT is 3-0 to Jamaica... surprising how many Premier League players are playing for Jamaica. Hadn't really though about it before.

Up next tonight is USA v St. Kitts and Nevis. I know you can only play against what is put in front of you, but US should win this at a canter.

Again, playing in these competitions against the winnows of the football world is holding the US back, I'm not sure what can be done about it, Unless they can get into the European Nations Cup or something as a guest team.
Old 29-06-2023, 03:34 AM

Johnintheusa1 is just too good for youJohnintheusa1 is just too good for youJohnintheusa1 is just too good for youJohnintheusa1 is just too good for youJohnintheusa1 is just too good for youJohnintheusa1 is just too good for youJohnintheusa1 is just too good for youJohnintheusa1 is just too good for youJohnintheusa1 is just too good for youJohnintheusa1 is just too good for youJohnintheusa1 is just too good for you
Combine the best of CONCACAF with CONMEBOL

Sure they'd all get spankings along the way but at least the games would be worthwhile in terms of development
Old 29-06-2023, 04:22 AM
Ex-Connecticut

CT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Watching this years rendition.

Currently watching Jamaica v Trinidad & Tobago. HT is 3-0 to Jamaica... surprising how many Premier League players are playing for Jamaica. Hadn't really though about it before.

Up next tonight is USA v St. Kitts and Nevis. I know you can only play against what is put in front of you, but US should win this at a canter.

Again, playing in these competitions against the winnows of the football world is holding the US back, I'm not sure what can be done about it, Unless they can get into the European Nations Cup or something as a guest team.
2-0 up after 13 mins. 2nd goal was a "pick that out" moment.

EDIT 4-0 after 24mins

Last edited by CT_Palace; 29-06-2023 at 04:32 AM.
Old 29-06-2023, 04:24 AM
Ex-Connecticut

The Spanish name for St Kitts is San Cristobal. Didn't know that. The Nevis bit is the same in case any one is interested.
Old 29-06-2023, 04:44 AM
Ex-Connecticut

I was looking at the results from the first few games. Already a couple of surprises. Canada drawing with Guadeloupe and Costa Rica losing to Panama.
Old 29-06-2023, 04:59 AM
The Spiky One

Some perspective... the population of St. Kitts and Nevis is just under 50,000.

The population of Malta is just over 500,000.

The stadium the game is being played in holds 25,000... or half the population of St. Kitts and Nevis.
Old 29-06-2023, 05:00 AM
Ex-Connecticut

Quote:
Some perspective... the population of St. Kitts and Nevis is just under 50,000.

The population of Malta is just over 500,000.

The stadium the game is being played in holds 25,000... or half the population of St. Kitts and Nevis.
It shows
Old 29-06-2023, 06:04 AM
The Spiky One

Probably up there with one of the most one sided games I've ever seen... if it had been 20-0 I don't think anyone would have been surprised.

Hats off to St. Kitts and Nevis though, they gave it everything to the end and threw their bodies on the line time after time... sometimes that is just not enough.
Old 30-06-2023, 01:16 AM
The Spiky One

How did Qatar end up in this?

I believe there were last time as well.