Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 19-12-2018, 10:03 AM

Richard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Gav View Post
I ruined a lovely suede jacket watching the Palace v Chelsea league cup game on the Holmesdale The one where Coleman's goal nearly got stuck in the water on the goal line
The best bit about that game was Chelsea having a similar shot later in the game that was going in but did get stuck in the mud before it could cross the goal line !

Somewhere in my office I still have a cut out of a cartoon (from WSC, I think, but could have been a Chelsea fanzine) showing British infantrymen going over the top of a WW1 trench with the caption "Attractive football in attractive conditions, as Crystal Palace go over the top again at Selhurst Park". I think it was given to me by a somewhat aggrieved Chelsea-supporting work colleague !
Old 19-12-2018, 10:10 AM

Richard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdeagle View Post
It took a true fan to stand in all weathers on an open terrace and many of the new breed of fan would not have gone to football under these conditions.

Countless times I got soaked standing on the Holmesdale or at away games but it was all part of being a football fan and supporting your club with your fellow fans, win,lose or draw.

COYP
I think my low-point was losing 4-0 away at Oxford in the driving rain on Boxing day. For reasons I can't recollect, I ended up going to the game on my own - driving up and back in the, er, driving rain and then getting utterly sodden as a Palace team clearly couldn't be arsed. I have a feeling that it was the Goldberg/Venables era, but my memory could be playing tricks.
Old 19-12-2018, 10:22 AM

prizesucker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietprizesucker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietprizesucker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietprizesucker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietprizesucker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietprizesucker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietprizesucker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietprizesucker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietprizesucker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietprizesucker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietprizesucker came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I think my low-point was losing 4-0 away at Oxford in the driving rain on Boxing day. For reasons I can't recollect, I ended up going to the game on my own - driving up and back in the, er, driving rain and then getting utterly sodden as a Palace team clearly couldn't be arsed. I have a feeling that it was the Goldberg/Venables era, but my memory could be playing tricks.
Get ready for a shock - it may have been 5-0 if the game you went to was in 1984 (according to 11v11)

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBD
*prizesucker's suggestion about shallow nets shows he's a true connoisseur of the beautiful game :)
Old 19-12-2018, 10:49 AM

Pikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by prizesucker View Post
Get ready for a shock - it may have been 5-0 if the game you went to was in 1984 (according to 11v11)

That's the one, so dark and rainy it seemed to be night all day, the overriding memory being a couple of Palace fans pulling out and briefly spraying antiperspirant/body spray cans, I think, with the intention of using them as weapons
"That’s the problem with these pre-planned celebrations. You can send out the invitations, arrange the play list, tailor the entire occasion for your guest of honour and it can still all fall flat. Crystal Palace are the worst kind of people to invite to share your revelry."
Old 19-12-2018, 10:56 AM

JannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Apart from the fact it was 29th December and the score was 5-0, your memory isn't playing tricks!
But the rain and the soaking was horrendous - I think we ended up in their end!
Old 19-12-2018, 11:20 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by JannerEagle View Post
Apart from the fact it was 29th December and the score was 5-0, your memory isn't playing tricks!
It was my first away game outside London. I don't particularly recall it being wet during the match - though I remember it raining after the game. Certainly not as wet as the Boxing Day 1998 game there (which we won) when for some stupid reason* I got in to the ground really early and got absolutely drenched.

[*The actual stupid reason was I remembered the game in the Championship winning season when loads of Palace fans couldn't get in, and stupidly worried the same thing might happen]

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 19-12-2018, 11:38 AM

IanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is hereIanH Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by JannerEagle View Post
I was at the 5-0 game at Oxford in 1984, but I don't remember it raining at all! I was very drunk though - quite a few of us walked to the ground from a pub near the station but didn't leave till about 2.30 and we all ended up getting there at half-time!
Old 19-12-2018, 11:54 AM
Call me Ishmael

ebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
It was my first away game outside London. I don't particularly recall it being wet during the match - though I remember it raining after the game. Certainly not as wet as the Boxing Day 1998 game there (which we won) when for some stupid reason* I got in to the ground really early and got absolutely drenched.

[*The actual stupid reason was I remembered the game in the Championship winning season when loads of Palace fans couldn't get in, and stupidly worried the same thing might happen]
I'm another one who doesn't remember the rain! The lock out on the other hand was a very hot day (unless memory is playing up).
Old 19-12-2018, 12:02 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
IIRC

The lock out was boxing day 1993 (ie halfway through 93/94 when we won the Championship under Alan Smith)

We played there again on Boxing Day around the end of the 90s and it rained very hard all game which was doubly annoying as lots got there extra early due to the lock out about 5 years previous
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 19-12-2018, 12:09 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle View Post
IIRC

The lock out was boxing day 1993 (ie halfway through 93/94 when we won the Championship under Alan Smith)

We played there again on Boxing Day around the end of the 90s and it rained very hard all game which was doubly annoying as lots got there extra early due to the lock out about 5 years previous
I think that's pretty much what I said I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought there was a risk of a lock out.

(The late 90s one was 1998.)

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 19-12-2018, 12:54 PM
Celestial Empire

Celestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is hereCelestial Empire Sam the man is here
Maybe this whole thread (including the title subject), should be put in 'Memory Lane' ?
Old 19-12-2018, 06:45 PM
Senior member & moaner

Location: Militant Wing of the Dougie Freedman Appreciation Society
Mark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad_Burnet View Post
I think it's mostly a case of the past being a foreign country where they do things differently. I couldn't countenance standing in the pissing rain for two hours watching (perforce) a game being played in the rain. Apart from anything else (notwithstanding the Chelsea match mentioned above), games played in the rain are invariable crap.
Recalls a 0-4 in pouring rain Good Friday "away" to Wimbledon... your hypothesis is proven!

I make Cassandra look like an optimist.
Old 19-12-2018, 06:49 PM
Senior member & moaner

Location: Militant Wing of the Dougie Freedman Appreciation Society
Mark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Got so cold & wet that day I suffered a severe attack of neuralgia driving home. Had to stop for 30 minutes until I could concentrate on the road.

Great days!

I make Cassandra look like an optimist.
Old 19-12-2018, 06:51 PM
They didn't care enough

old git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is here
I went to the 5-0 game and don't remember it raining. There was a game in the 90's where we won down there around Xmas and it was torrential rain all day.
Old 19-12-2018, 07:06 PM

leesaw : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleesaw : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleesaw : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleesaw : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleesaw : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleesaw : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleesaw : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleesaw : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleesaw : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleesaw : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleesaw : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post

I was one who didn't get in.
I remember Steve Staunton turned up with a couple of dolly birds and he also got turned away!
Old 19-12-2018, 07:45 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here

Announcement regarding safe standing in the top two divisions to be made in January.
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 19-12-2018, 07:48 PM

spiny norman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspiny norman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspiny norman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspiny norman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspiny norman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspiny norman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspiny norman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspiny norman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspiny norman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspiny norman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspiny norman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gardiner View Post
Recalls a 0-4 in pouring rain Good Friday "away" to Wimbledon... your hypothesis is proven!
Hate to remind you about that .....(it was 0-5)
Old 19-12-2018, 08:00 PM

spiny norman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspiny norman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspiny norman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspiny norman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspiny norman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspiny norman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspiny norman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspiny norman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspiny norman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspiny norman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspiny norman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Correction, the 0-5 was in February
Old 19-12-2018, 08:08 PM

Lord Flange came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLord Flange came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLord Flange came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLord Flange came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLord Flange came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLord Flange came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLord Flange came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLord Flange came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLord Flange came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLord Flange came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLord Flange came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle View Post

Announcement regarding safe standing in the top two divisions to be made in January.
I’d be astounded if they try to kick this into the long grass again. It’s effectively now already legal, so here’s hoping January is the month it gets rubber stamped and we can finally end this all seater nonsense.
Old 19-12-2018, 08:13 PM
They didn't care enough

old git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiny norman View Post
Correction, the 0-5 was in February
Definitely around Xmas mate.