Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 30-10-2019, 11:37 AM

CJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCJ PLUM came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by greybot View Post
Luka has sent the keeper the wrong way 12 times (57%) of his 21 scored penalties. 3 of the 9 times the keeper guessed correctly Luka hit the ball high and out of reach.

I can only remember a keeper saving one of his penalties. (At home v Man City). If he's not placing the ball into the net on the keepers movement during his run up, there is definitely some good research going on by us over the opposition keepers favoured side and that information being past onto LUka before games.
Luka missed against Everton away when he went down the middle and the ball hit Pickford's legs. Probably more due to a miss-kick by Luka than a great save.
Old 30-10-2019, 02:30 PM
Unregistered Muser

regal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is here
To view the link you have to Register or Login

Luka Milivojevic underlined his status as one of the Premier League's best ever penalty takers with his strike in Sunday's 2-2 draw at Arsenal.

The Serb netted his 21st spot-kick from 23 attempts in the competition, giving him a 91 per cent success rate.

That is the third-best ratio of the 12 players to convert 20 or more penalties.

And if he scores with his next two attempts, he will move level with Arsenal great Thierry Henry in second place, with an identical record.

Top penalty conversion rates:
Player Succ. penalties Penalties taken Succ. rate
Matt Le Tissier 25 26 96%
Thierry Henry 23 25 92%
Luka Milivojevic 21 23 91%

Milivojevic is getting plenty of opportunities from the spot, largely thanks to his team-mate Wilfried Zaha.

The Ivorian won his 16th Premier League penalty at the weekend, the joint-most in the history of the competition alongside Raheem Sterling and Jamie Vardy.

Since returning to the top flight in 2013/14, Palace have both won and scored more penalties than any other side, with 48 and 39 respectively.

Mixing it up
Milivojevic dispatched his spot-kick into the bottom right corner at Emirates Stadium, sending Bernd Leno the wrong way.

The Arsenal goalkeeper's guess was a reasonable one, given his opponent’s favourite area is the bottom left corner, but Milivojevic has shown he can vary his approach.

He has sent the goalkeeper the wrong way with 11 of his 23 penalties.

And, on the 12 occasions when his opponent has guessed correctly, his placement has usually been too good.

Milivojevic has only missed twice, with both failures coming when he shot down the middle.

The tactic paid off the first time he tried it, at Swansea City in December 2017.

But when he opted for the same approach the following week against Manchester City, Ederson saved.

Milivojevic converted his next four penalties, but when he next went down the middle he was again denied, this time by Everton’s Jordan Pickford.

Unsurprisingly, Milivojevic has since gone to either the left or the right with each of his subsequent 12 attempts, scoring with all of them.

Where next?

Where Luka hit the ball (9% top left):
9% 0% 17%
35% 13% 26%

If Leicester City goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel is looking for a pattern in preparation for his visit to Palace on Sunday, he may notice that Milivojevic often targets the same side twice in a row.

There have been five instances of such pairings among the Palace captain’s last 12 penalties, and he has aimed to the right on the last two occasions.

Or maybe the other way to stop his penalties is to have Milivojevic in goal for them. In a recent trick video, Palace had the Serb put on the gloves to face his own spot-kick and managed to parry the ball away.

Last edited by regal_eagle; 30-10-2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old 30-10-2019, 02:34 PM
Unregistered Muser

regal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palace Bear View Post
I thought it was more of a curved run so he was sprinting into the box as Luka struck it, to get to any potential rebounds. Like a striker curving a run to maintain pace and keep onside.
Was effective too as he was first one in the box, with all the Arsenal players stood on edge hands on hips still.

I thought the same, but rebounds are no longer allowed to be scored:

"There will be no rebounds from penalties.
Play will stop for a restart if a penalty is saved or hits the post, meaning there will be no chance to follow up and score from rebounds, meaning players will no longer need to line up on the edge of the area."

I reckon I'm on to something with this. Was Macca doing the same run last season?

Last edited by regal_eagle; 30-10-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Old 30-10-2019, 03:31 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palace Bear View Post
I thought it was more of a curved run so he was sprinting into the box as Luka struck it, to get to any potential rebounds. Like a striker curving a run to maintain pace and keep onside.
Was effective too as he was first one in the box, with all the Arsenal players stood on edge hands on hips still.
I noticed that too. Its a good idea because if the ball rebounds out without touching another player, Luca would not be allowed to touch it again, but Mac would.
Old 30-10-2019, 03:38 PM

whereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwhereEaglesFly came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal_eagle View Post

Play will stop for a restart if a penalty is saved or hits the post, meaning there will be no chance to follow up and score from rebounds, meaning players will no longer need to line up on the edge of the area."

I reckon I'm on to something with this. Was Macca doing the same run last season?
Don't think that is actually a new rule
Old 30-10-2019, 03:45 PM
Unregistered Muser

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereEaglesFly View Post
Don't think that is actually a new rule
Ah, yes, got mixed up with La Liga. As you were.
Old 30-10-2019, 06:39 PM
Zuffenhausen

917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal_eagle View Post

They didn't implement that IIRC
Old 23-11-2019, 07:20 PM

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
Great performance from the boys collectively today but I still feel Luka is the weak link in midfield at the moment. More often or not, he struggles to play a ball with the correct weight of pass on it and can be hesitant in possession which kills any momentum coupled with his painfully slow speed of thought.
On a side note - Encouraging to see the midfielders try and work the keeper today and shoot on sight more than normal.
Old 23-11-2019, 07:30 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspercpfc View Post
Great performance from the boys collectively today but I still feel Luka is the weak link in midfield at the moment. More often or not, he struggles to play a ball with the correct weight of pass on it and can be hesitant in possession which kills any momentum coupled with his painfully slow speed of thought.
On a side note - Encouraging to see the midfielders try and work the keeper today and shoot on sight more than normal.
Frustrating watching him lately because his passing has become very erratic. Still worth his place but really does need to tidy up his passing
Old 23-11-2019, 07:34 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Personally thought he was more like the Luka of old today.
Old 24-11-2019, 12:26 AM

alanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is herealanlee11 Sam the man is here
So many bad corners
Old 24-11-2019, 12:39 AM

Wilbraham413 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWilbraham413 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWilbraham413 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWilbraham413 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWilbraham413 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWilbraham413 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWilbraham413 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWilbraham413 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWilbraham413 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWilbraham413 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWilbraham413 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Luka is arguably the worst passer on our team. I thought he did pretty well today, but he's 100% defense, and 0% offense.

His crosses are awful too. I don't know why someone else doesn't take them.

Deadly on penalties though, and a tough competitor. If we had two other creative midfielders, Luka would be great. When we have all defensive midfielders, it gets a bit redundant.
Old 24-11-2019, 12:57 AM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbraham413 View Post
Luka is arguably the worst passer on our team. I thought he did pretty well today, but he's 100% defense, and 0% offense.

Deadly on penalties though, and a tough competitor. If we had two other creative midfielders, Luka would be great. When we have all defensive midfielders, it gets a bit redundant.

You are wrong.

Luka is very good at passing... his long range passing is impressive (The pass for WZs pen v Arsenal).
Old 24-11-2019, 01:01 AM
Fort Neef massiv

Glɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlɑzier came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbraham413 View Post

Yep, I'd like to see McCarthy given a chance instead, because I thought he did pretty well against West Ham in the same role. Just as good defensively and better offensively - given a run of games he could well get back to his pre injury form, which would be massive for us (imagine having a player who gives Idrissa Ghana Gueye a run for his money starting for us). Roy won't risk it, alas.

Last edited by Glɑzier; 24-11-2019 at 01:04 AM.