Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 07-09-2012, 01:16 PM
Morally devoid scum

danpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannapaul
forbidden planet shut in croydon?
No, it moved to near Argos
Old 07-09-2012, 01:19 PM
ho hum

Big Fella came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Fella came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Fella came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Fella came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Fella came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Fella came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Fella came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Fella came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Fella came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Fella came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig Fella came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Sad times. Used to love the YSL counter there. Only go there these days for hoover bags!
Old 08-09-2012, 02:24 PM

scro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fella
Sad times. Used to love the YSL counter there. Only go there these days for hoover bags!
I liked your podcast before i found out you are a chav ;-)...
Old 08-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Up On The Triangle

fang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is here
When you read stuff like this:

To view the link you have to Register or Login

You have to ask whether Croydon will be able to pull itself out of the current downward spiral.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:29 PM
analyse this

bourne man came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbourne man came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbourne man came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbourne man came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbourne man came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbourne man came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbourne man came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbourne man came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbourne man came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbourne man came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbourne man came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by fang
When you read stuff like this:

To view the link you have to Register or Login

You have to ask whether Croydon will be able to pull itself out of the current downward spiral.
Wow, very depressing reading, lets hope theres a solution on the horizon because the counsillers in power at the moment seem clueless.
The high street and shopping in general is undergoing nothing short of a revolution and Croydon needs people who understand this to be making the right calls
Old 08-09-2012, 03:47 PM

scro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourne man
Wow, very depressing reading, lets hope theres a solution on the horizon because the counsillers in power at the moment seem clueless.
The high street and shopping in general is undergoing nothing short of a revolution and Croydon needs people who understand this to be making the right calls
I couldn't read it as the person was very clearly not writing a subjective article. Croydon is facing some challenges for sure but I got the impression that article would have you slitting your wrists.

I would like to to see westfield allowed to take over the whitgift centre. I believe that would be positive on the whole.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:01 PM
Up On The Triangle

fang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by scro
I couldn't read it as the person was very clearly not writing a subjective article. Croydon is facing some challenges for sure but I got the impression that article would have you slitting your wrists.

I would like to to see westfield allowed to take over the whitgift centre. I believe that would be positive on the whole.
You can't argue with most of it. The Bank of America, Nestle, Allders, Le Casoullet, and host of smaller retailers have gone along with The Warehouse Theatre, David Lean Cinema, and ClockTower Museum. New residential blocks are standing half empty or in Iylo's case, uncompleted. The Whitgift redevelopment is not going to happen any time soon and neither is the redevelopment of St Georges Walk or the nonsense that is the Menta project in Cherry Orchard rd.

He's right. Croydon is developing a 'Toxic' reputation. Why would any new business choose to come here?
Old 08-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Location: In a post box in the heart of Mayfair, and at Lloyd's
DANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by scro

That blog raises some important points, but it was too blatantly partisan. Whether or not you think that the present Tory council could have done more to help Allders, plainly Croydon has been in decline for years and years, stretching back into the time of the previous Labour council, and in all likelihood the Tory one before that too. There are several major forces at play in Croydon: demographic, economic, social, architectural... way too much for any council to deal with. Especially with the pretty weak powers and finances councils have.

It grieves me to say this about my home town, but Croydon will get much worse before it gets better.
Old 14-12-2015, 10:35 AM
Uzi Lover

Boyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBoyandy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Went to the pantomime yesterday (Fairfield Halls not The Valley) and parked in the multi-storey on Wellesley Road. Had to get to George Street first so cut through the old Allders building via the bit that used to house all of the carpets.

Couldn't believe how depressing it is now. Actually wasn't sure if it was open as there wasn't another soul in that part of the building at first.

Such a shame, especially at this time of year. As a kid growing up we'd make it a point to check out the Allders Christmas display.
Old 14-12-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyandy View Post
Went to the pantomime yesterday (Fairfield Halls not The Valley) and parked in the multi-storey on Wellesley Road. Had to get to George Street first so cut through the old Allders building via the bit that used to house all of the carpets.

Couldn't believe how depressing it is now. Actually wasn't sure if it was open as there wasn't another soul in that part of the building at first.

Such a shame, especially at this time of year. As a kid growing up we'd make it a point to check out the Allders Christmas display.
I've not been for sometime. I thought the only reason it was still going was the owner waiting for westfield to come in and buy them out? Does the lack of movement indicate they have gone off the idea?
Old 14-12-2015, 11:22 AM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyandy View Post

And it appears Fairfield Halls might be in for the permanent chop too. It's closing for two years in 2017 with no definite plan to reopen

Was just reading yesterday about how very successful Allders was back in the 70's. Sales were so good only Harrods and Selfridges were higher up in The Dept. Store stakes.

I used to love the place when I was a kid and as a young fella hanging out with mates in their cafeteria for hours on end talking about God knows what.
Old 14-12-2015, 12:08 PM
Doing nothing is a choice

firesign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is here
Allders used to be amazing. So was Grants and the (very old) Debenhams. Add in Littlewoods, C&A and Woolworths and the 70s and 80s when I was growing up in Croydon were halcyon days for department stores.

Oh well.
Old 14-12-2015, 12:12 PM

WLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is here
It's all going to get worse before it gets better but I reckon in 10 years time central Croydon will be unrecognisable in a very positive way.
Old 14-12-2015, 12:16 PM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLYWLYAWYPWF View Post
It's all going to get worse before it gets better but I reckon in 10 years time central Croydon will be unrecognisable in a very positive way.
Russian MiGs?
Old 14-12-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firesign View Post
Allders used to be amazing. So was Grants and the (very old) Debenhams. Add in Littlewoods, C&A and Woolworths and the 70s and 80s when I was growing up in Croydon were halcyon days for department stores.

Oh well.
No one ever remember's poor old BHS in the Whitgift nor Brentford Nylons that was in Church Street. Not 'arf.
Old 14-12-2015, 12:20 PM

cantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am Phibian View Post
And it appears Fairfield Halls might be in for the permanent chop too. It's closing for two years in 2017 with no definite plan to reopen

Was just reading yesterday about how very successful Allders was back in the 70's. Sales were so good only Harrods and Selfridges were higher up in The Dept. Store stakes.

I used to love the place when I was a kid and as a young fella hanging out with mates in their cafeteria for hours on end talking about God knows what.
One of the first ever Costa in Allders befors it became a chain and my god did they know have to make decent coffee. Yet to have one in the UK that surpasses it.
Old 14-12-2015, 12:44 PM

Sluggo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSluggo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSluggo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSluggo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSluggo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSluggo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSluggo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSluggo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSluggo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSluggo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSluggo : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
No one ever remember's poor old BHS in the Whitgift nor Brentford Nylons that was in Church Street. Not 'arf.
I worked in an office on Wellesley Road in the late 80's and used to go over to BHS in the Whitgift to get my lunch every day. :-)
Old 14-12-2015, 12:51 PM
Still Lurking the BBS

Stanley Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStanley Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStanley Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStanley Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStanley Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStanley Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStanley Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStanley Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStanley Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStanley Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietStanley Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by firesign View Post

Oh well.
Debenhams used to be Kennards when it was very old.
Old 14-12-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantspell View Post
One of the first ever Costa in Allders befors it became a chain and my god did they know have to make decent coffee. Yet to have one in the UK that surpasses it.
Blimey. Yer right. I remember it now I think. Half way up that walk thru' arcade on the ground floor?

And how can I forget Miss World Valerie Leon modelling lingerie in Allders? Especially as I was in the front row, surrounded by surburban middle-aged housewives.

Last edited by Am Phibian; 14-12-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 14-12-2015, 01:38 PM

cantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is here
Quote:
Blimey. Yer right. I remember it now I think. Half way up that walk thru' arcade on the ground floor?
That's the one - tasted superb always had to have one when I went passed and very cheap.