Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 08-12-2015, 04:24 PM
Lurker

sirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
A cake sale?

Stop paying Frazier Campbell, that would raise a few billion a year, with no downside (apart from Mrs Campbell and the kids)
Old 08-12-2015, 04:25 PM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchboard View Post
If everyone started working less hours and more people worked to cover those lost hours, then we'd all have more free time and a better quality of life outside those working hours... on paper.
Yep i could cut down to 2 nights instead of 4 sounds good to me.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:27 PM
Man and beast

Elephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is hereElephant with mouse gyp Sam the man is here
It's a good idea that's been knocking around lefty circles for years and is back in vogue as a way to spread the wealth in a hi tech world where ownership takes a bigger slice of the pie and jobs are temporary. Wouldn't be surprised if Corbyn is toying with it and I think the Greens back it. It could slash admin costs, end the stigma of benefits and there is evidence it increases employment and therefore growth and the tax take. Obviously the crucial thing is what rate it is set at.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:28 PM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
We need 386bn.

We've got cost cutting of 195bn (benefits and basic state pensions) and 5bn of additional tax. So that's about 200bn, and the proceeds from a cake sale.

We're 186bn per annum short.

It better be an awesome cake sale.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:29 PM
Got my eagle eye on you.

smileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
Old 08-12-2015, 04:30 PM
Graffiti Arsist

Micky Droy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMicky Droy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMicky Droy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMicky Droy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMicky Droy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMicky Droy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMicky Droy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMicky Droy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMicky Droy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMicky Droy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMicky Droy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
What about if we pay it only to people earning over 50,000 a year?
Old 08-12-2015, 04:48 PM

eagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is here
Or people over the age of 30.......
Old 08-12-2015, 05:01 PM

switchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is here
Something needs to be done because there is a generation growing up with no spare income to pay into a pension at all. I remember my grandad sitting me down when I got my first job telling me to put a third of my salary in a pension, a third of my salary gone would leave me short of paying the rent let alone anything else! Even now there is no free money to put anything actually worth while away.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:29 PM
Binned by Muderators

Brett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is here
Quote:
We need 386bn.

We've got cost cutting of 195bn (benefits and basic state pensions) and 5bn of additional tax. So that's about 200bn, and the proceeds from a cake sale.

39bn to come back in VAT?
Old 08-12-2015, 05:30 PM

swissroll Sam the man is hereswissroll Sam the man is hereswissroll Sam the man is hereswissroll Sam the man is hereswissroll Sam the man is hereswissroll Sam the man is hereswissroll Sam the man is hereswissroll Sam the man is hereswissroll Sam the man is hereswissroll Sam the man is hereswissroll Sam the man is here
Quote:
We need 386bn.

Wouldn't a lot of people receiving it be effectively paying 20/40/50 % of it back in tax? Maybe 140 billion per annum short now?
Old 08-12-2015, 05:33 PM
Graffiti Arsist

Micky Droy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMicky Droy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMicky Droy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMicky Droy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMicky Droy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMicky Droy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMicky Droy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMicky Droy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMicky Droy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMicky Droy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMicky Droy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Just do it. You don't need to find the money if you are in charge of the money.

Give them the money and if it causes inflation just keep adding noughts until we get over the whole caboodle.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:34 PM

spt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is here
Daft idea, why should the state give me money I don't really need.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:57 PM
Another Universe

unsensibleLiam : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineunsensibleLiam : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineunsensibleLiam : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineunsensibleLiam : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineunsensibleLiam : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineunsensibleLiam : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineunsensibleLiam : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineunsensibleLiam : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineunsensibleLiam : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineunsensibleLiam : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineunsensibleLiam : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
We need 386bn.

Other things to consider:

reduction of social externalities arising from long term unemployment. ie. health issues -> reduction of costs for NHS. Reduction in crime -> reduced costs for police.
Tax increase for the most well off
removal of tax credits
The money is going to get spent -> more tax income
Reduction in inequality leading to economic growth -> higher tax receipts/reduction of gov debt as share of GDP

That's just 2 minutes of head scratching. It's definitely not a case of definitely not being affordable. It is better in my opinion to evaluate the positive and negative impacts on society and then see if it can be afforded.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:59 PM
Another Universe

unsensibleLiam : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineunsensibleLiam : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineunsensibleLiam : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineunsensibleLiam : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineunsensibleLiam : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineunsensibleLiam : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineunsensibleLiam : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineunsensibleLiam : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineunsensibleLiam : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineunsensibleLiam : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineunsensibleLiam : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissroll View Post
Wouldn't a lot of people receiving it be effectively paying 20/40/50 % of it back in tax? Maybe 140 billion per annum short now?
I think it is generally accepted that the basic income should not be taxed. However it could come with increases in the tax rates for some which of course could mean someone earning 200k is not better off with basic income
Old 08-12-2015, 07:54 PM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
Quote:
i haven't read anything about it but I receive zero benefits and it sounds like I would suddenly start receiving an amount of money.

I cannot see how that is sensible as I have no need of state support whatsoever.
We get it, you're rich.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:24 PM

spt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom View Post
We get it, you're rich.
Assume most people would spend it on luxuries rather than essentials. Assume if you were using it on essentials you would already be claiming some kind of benefits.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:44 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
I suspect this is one of those ideas like a flat tax that sounds good until you look at the details closely. Still it may be that given the risk of deflation or secular stagnation there will soon be a need for radical policies.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:45 PM

GorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is here
I can't believe this could even be considered as a good thing.

Giving people money while not expecting anything in return is bat-shit crazy.

To fund it taxation, borrowing and printing money would all be under pressure in tougher times.

It's a sttupid concept when encouraging people to earn their own living and then taxing them less so they can own more of their earnings must be the way to go.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:53 PM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Location: In a post box in the heart of Mayfair, and at Lloyd's
DANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsensibleLiam View Post
Other things to consider:

reduction of social externalities arising from long term unemployment. ie. health issues -> reduction of costs for NHS. Reduction in crime -> reduced costs for police.
Tax increase for the most well off
removal of tax credits
The money is going to get spent -> more tax income
Reduction in inequality leading to economic growth -> higher tax receipts/reduction of gov debt as share of GDP

That's just 2 minutes of head scratching. It's definitely not a case of definitely not being affordable. It is better in my opinion to evaluate the positive and negative impacts on society and then see if it can be afforded.
Why do you think it would reduce (long-term) unemployment?

I'm sure the nett cost would be less than 200bn-odd, as those with jobs would soon find themselves taxed back to where they started. But why bother with the pound-swapping in the first place when the vast majority of people wouldn't see a benefit, and those actually on benefits might see them reduced?
Old 08-12-2015, 10:58 PM
Pack it up, pack it in..

Breaking rocks Sam the man is hereBreaking rocks Sam the man is hereBreaking rocks Sam the man is hereBreaking rocks Sam the man is hereBreaking rocks Sam the man is hereBreaking rocks Sam the man is hereBreaking rocks Sam the man is hereBreaking rocks Sam the man is hereBreaking rocks Sam the man is hereBreaking rocks Sam the man is hereBreaking rocks Sam the man is here
Think I heard an idea like this before back in the day. Everyone equal, now what was it called? Began with a c?