Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Politics Forum

Notices

The Politics Forum Discussions that are wholly or mainly concerned with UK politics

Old 24-01-2017, 02:51 PM
Banned by Moderators

Biggineagle Biggineagle Biggineagle Biggineagle Biggineagle Biggineagle Biggineagle Biggineagle Biggineagle Biggineagle Biggineagle
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileysmith View Post
Fella, it doesn't make me feel bad or good calling you a bigot. Like gravity keeps me in the ground, like the sun and stars stay in the sky - it just is.
ok.
"WE LEAVE THE EU MARCH 2019"

[SIGPIC]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/be/Flag_of_England.svg/125px-Flag_of_England.svg.png[/SIGPIC]
Old 24-01-2017, 02:58 PM
Wagon Painter

mik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggineagle View Post
Majority of Britons disagree with Supreme Court ruling on Article 50

A poll a few weeks old. But nothing will have changed of course.

"A majority of British adults don't think that Theresa May should have to consult Parliament before triggering Article 50, according to a recent poll. This opinion is in contrast to the Supreme Court's ruling that MPs must vote before the Government can start the process of withdrawing from the European Union. Although this ruling has no bearing on whether the UK will leave the EU, it will allow opposition parties the opportunity to hold up the process by tabling amendments.

It also means that the bill to trigger Article 50 will have to be voted on by the Lords - the majority of whom are anti-Brexit - as well as by MPs. Polling carried out by YouGov earlier this month found that 54 per cent of British adults felt that the decision to trigger Article 50, and thus formally start the process of exiting the EU, should rest with the Prime Minister and not with Parliament. This rises to 85 per cent among those who voted to leave the EU in last June's referendum but falls to just 28 per cent among those who voted to remain. In total, just 31 per cent of British adults said that Parliament should have the final say.

more here To view the link you have to Register or Login

Power to the people!! in a Wolfie way.
Power to the people by giving the Divine Right of Kings power over the Commons. I guess some people didn't like losing the Civil War & can't get over it. Monmoaners perhaps.
Old 24-01-2017, 03:03 PM

palacea Sam the man is herepalacea Sam the man is herepalacea Sam the man is herepalacea Sam the man is herepalacea Sam the man is herepalacea Sam the man is herepalacea Sam the man is herepalacea Sam the man is herepalacea Sam the man is herepalacea Sam the man is herepalacea Sam the man is here
Laura Kuenssberg
✔ ‎@bbclaurak

Senior member of shadow cabinet says Labour MPs will be whipped to vote for Article 50 despite ructions last week when whip was first mooted
Old 24-01-2017, 03:04 PM
Got my eagle eye on you.

smileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by palacea View Post
You tease us.
Sorry for getting your hopes up with my typo.
Old 24-01-2017, 03:05 PM
former Palace Guard

viking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Laura Kuenssberg
✔ ‎@bbclaurak

Senior member of shadow cabinet says Labour MPs will be whipped to vote for Article 50 despite ructions last week when whip was first mooted
What will whipping do? Hardly anyone wants to work in the shadow cabinet anyway.
Old 24-01-2017, 03:09 PM

palacea Sam the man is herepalacea Sam the man is herepalacea Sam the man is herepalacea Sam the man is herepalacea Sam the man is herepalacea Sam the man is herepalacea Sam the man is herepalacea Sam the man is herepalacea Sam the man is herepalacea Sam the man is herepalacea Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking's no1 View Post
What will whipping do? Hardly anyone wants to work in the shadow cabinet anyway.
Ensures there will be probably a grand total of 90 mps who vote against the one line bill. Then over to the lords to dare to even delay or halt it.
Old 24-01-2017, 03:10 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Laura Kuenssberg
✔ ‎@bbclaurak

This has to be a free vote due to the importance of the issue. MPs should be able to represent their constituents on this.
Old 24-01-2017, 03:12 PM

Hpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking's no1 View Post
Quite.

WHIP: Corbyn is insisting you vote with the party - you must do it!

MPS: Umm. Firstly when did Corbyn ever obey the whips and not his conscience and secondly STFU Corbyn - we have made it clear that we don't want you so whip away.

Now they may well choose to follow the 'will of the people' for fear of their northern seats but the whips will not influence this either way.
Old 24-01-2017, 03:12 PM
Shit or Bust

Shamone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShamone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShamone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShamone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShamone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShamone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShamone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShamone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShamone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShamone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShamone came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
What happens if they voted different to what their constituent voted though? Surely they just need to vote it through and then worry about the details
Old 24-01-2017, 03:13 PM
Banned by Moderators

bagler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebagler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebagler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebagler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebagler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebagler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebagler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebagler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebagler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebagler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebagler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm61 View Post
It said on the ballot it was non-binding and advisory...

Didn't see that but have read this:-

9 June 2015, the Foreign Secretary said:

“The referendum on Thursday 23rd June is your chance to decide if we should remain in the European Union.”

“This is your decision. The Government will implement what you decide.”

Additionally Cameron said there would be no going back, changing minds and trying to join the EU again if we voted leave. Unless of course his remain campaign was just all lies
Old 24-01-2017, 03:14 PM

Hpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle View Post
This has to be a free vote due to the importance of the issue. MPs should be able to represent their constituents on this.
Interesting and I agree. Now will the MPS follow their general constituents or the constituents that voted for them in 2010/2015? Did northern labour followers vote for Brexit or did loads of people that you would expect Labour to represent but normally do not bother to vote, vote for Brexit?
Old 24-01-2017, 03:16 PM
Banned by Moderators

bagler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebagler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebagler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebagler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebagler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebagler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebagler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebagler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebagler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebagler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebagler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamone View Post
I would definitely change my mind now and vote remain. That Osbourne emergency budget has crippled me financially as well as this recession we're in.
I voted remain but would vote leave now as all this legal challenge isn't respecting the will of the majority of the people who voted.
Old 24-01-2017, 03:19 PM

eaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is here
Quote:
You are joking - from bent bananas to too many immigrants millions have been brain washed into believing the EU is the devil
millions ? I thought it was just me
Old 24-01-2017, 03:20 PM

eaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileysmith View Post
No worries. Although you did quote me.
oops - new to this game
Old 24-01-2017, 03:21 PM
Got my eagle eye on you.

smileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglejez View Post
oops - new to this game
You started before me!!!
Old 24-01-2017, 03:27 PM

cdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagler View Post
Didn't see that but have read this:-

9 June 2015, the Foreign Secretary said:

“The referendum on Thursday 23rd June is your chance to decide if we should remain in the European Union.”

“This is your decision. The Government will implement what you decide.”

Additionally Cameron said there would be no going back, changing minds and trying to join the EU again if we voted leave. Unless of course his remain campaign was just all lies
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Start with the law

"The referendum was not legally binding. There’s no one source that can prove this statement true (although here’s a respectable one). That follows from the fact that the European Union Referendum Act 2015 didn’t say anything about implementing the result of the vote. It just provided that there should be one.

A UK referendum will only have the force of law if the Act setting it up says so. In practical terms this would mean someone would be able to go to court to make the government implement the result".

The European Union Referendum Act 2015 (c 36) is an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom that made legal provision for a non-binding referendum to be held in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and Gibraltar, on whether they should remain a member of the European Union or leave it.[1][2]
Old 24-01-2017, 03:30 PM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Anyone know the process now in terms of the bill and the proposed amendments ?

Are the amendments debated on and then voted on an individuall basis or is a debate simply held on the bill including proposed amendments and then it is all voted on at the same time?
Old 24-01-2017, 03:31 PM
Banned by Moderators

Quote:
Start with the law

"The referendum was not legally binding. There’s no one source that can prove this statement true (although here’s a respectable one). That follows from the fact that the European Union Referendum Act 2015 didn’t say anything about implementing the result of the vote. It just provided that there should be one.

A UK referendum will only have the force of law if the Act setting it up says so. In practical terms this would mean someone would be able to go to court to make the government implement the result".

The European Union Referendum Act 2015 (c 36) is an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom that made legal provision for a non-binding referendum to be held in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and Gibraltar, on whether they should remain a member of the European Union or leave it.[1][2]

Like I said it is this wrangling that has caused myself, a remainer to regret voting that way.

Indeed, would people like yourself be trying to suggest "ah but it was only advisory" if remain had won?
Old 24-01-2017, 03:34 PM

Icy Sam the man is hereIcy Sam the man is hereIcy Sam the man is hereIcy Sam the man is hereIcy Sam the man is hereIcy Sam the man is hereIcy Sam the man is hereIcy Sam the man is hereIcy Sam the man is hereIcy Sam the man is hereIcy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglejez View Post
so unlike the honest Remain campaign
That was just scaremongering. All they had to do was not **** up their campaign and carry on as they were... slight failure there .

There was need for a grand strategy if they won which is something very different from what was required from the leave campaign.

To be honest I don't trust any of our politicians to implement a major change of this magnitude, leave or remain. Just curious to see if those that were duped into voting leave (under the assumption they had a workable plan and any clue what they were doing) have changed there minds or not.

It's pretty pathetic that the powers that be (both leave and remain) really had no strategy and knowledge of the real world mechanics of a leave vote and how the process would work.
Old 24-01-2017, 03:34 PM
Banned by Moderators

Quote:
Start with the law

You left this bit out of your wiki quote

"This is your decision. The government will implement what you decide". it's source/note number [13]