Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ The Politics Forum

Notices

The Politics Forum Discussions that are wholly or mainly concerned with UK politics

Old 01-04-2019, 02:51 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevb View Post
Indefinite leave to remain does not mean you can have a British Passport. For that you need citizenship. And that's another £1200, on top of the fees already paid just to get the ILR (likely already over £2000).
As i said, i know someone with a right to a British passport who has not taken up that option. Just because you give someone the right to something doesn't mean they will take it.

El Ag wants everyone with ILR to be offered one, its not that simple, or inexpensive so if you have ILR why go through that?

On topic my understanding (which has not been corrected yet) is that if you have ILR you don't need to apply for settlement.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:57 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
The other side of the coin is that a lot of people don't already have passports to which to attach an "ILR" visa.

"Settled" status represents a reduction of rights compared to what they had under Freedom of Movement. Seems unnecessarily mean to me, and very unfair.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:04 PM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Loads of us ( a few on here too ) are in exactly the same boat, just in Europe.

Thanks bigots.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:26 PM

1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here1905 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Boy View Post
Loads of us ( a few on here too ) are in exactly the same boat, just in Europe.

Thanks bigots.
Yep, know of 3 more at work who just got their perm residence through last month.

For the OP, all your answers can be found here hopefully...

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Part of which may or may not also be pertinent to your relatives is here..

Quote:
If you moved to the UK before it joined the EU on 1 January 1973
You may have been given ILR automatically if you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen who lived in the UK before 1973. If you were, you won’t need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to stay in the UK after June 2021.
If not its apply perm residence (uninterrupted stay of 5 years/with no period exceeding 2 years outside of country) then apply for settled status.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:40 PM

rhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
As i said, i know someone with a right to a British passport who has not taken up that option. Just because you give someone the right to something doesn't mean they will take it.

El Ag wants everyone with ILR to be offered one, its not that simple, or inexpensive so if you have ILR why go through that?

On topic my understanding (which has not been corrected yet) is that if you have ILR you don't need to apply for settlement.
People who have ILR have been wrongly detained and deported and had their lives ripped apart by a bigoted tory government with bigoted policies.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:55 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
If they have been here prior to FOM from the EU do they have indefinite leave to remain? If they do they don't need to apply for settled status do they?
Itís not necessarily a matter of them not getting leave to remain, but of formalising their settlement status. Personally if I was in their shoes, Iíd like to have some paperwork from the Govt that puts my status on a formal footing.

This then makes their status clear when it comes to matters such as claiming benefits, pensions etc.

One of the main problems with the Windrush farce was that many people couldnít provide paperwork to prove when they arrived, and this was made worse by the Home Office destroying old paperwork. They have since agreed to accept a wider range of evidence with regard to how to prove settlement in U.K.

Iíve several friends who have been in the U.K. for decades and, having had children here, they decided to become British citizens. It tidies up some legalities more neatly and they have the now dubious benefit of being able to vote.

Itís not the answer for everyone, but seems wise to me if you have family here and plan to spend the rest of your life here.

But if going for British citizenship isnít appropriate, then Iíd advise anyone whoís been here long enough to get the Settlement Status as it protects their rights.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:05 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by davech View Post
But would it simply be just a formailty/paperwork? Should be the case, surely.
That's not the point really, is it?
Old 01-04-2019, 04:15 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Itís not necessarily a matter of them not getting leave to remain, but of formalising their settlement status. Personally if I was in their shoes, Iíd like to have some paperwork from the Govt that puts my status on a formal footing.

This then makes their status clear when it comes to matters such as claiming benefits, pensions etc.

One of the main problems with the Windrush farce was that many people couldnít provide paperwork to prove when they arrived, and this was made worse by the Home Office destroying old paperwork. They have since agreed to accept a wider range of evidence with regard to how to prove settlement in U.K.

Iíve several friends who have been in the U.K. for decades and, having had children here, they decided to become British citizens. It tidies up some legalities more neatly and they have the now dubious benefit of being able to vote.

Itís not the answer for everyone, but seems wise to me if you have family here and plan to spend the rest of your life here.

But if going for British citizenship isnít appropriate, then Iíd advise anyone whoís been here long enough to get the Settlement Status as it protects their rights.
You're right, it's not that simple. Remember these circumstances, and confusions, will be working their way right across the EU, with differing regulations and policies in place in different countries.
My Mother-in law has been here since the mid-sixties, She swapped her Austrian passport for a British one, which seemed to make sense as we were in the EU by then, and so it didn't affect her rights back in Austria, where she owns a home. Seeing Brexit as a possibility, she reapplied for her Austrian passport, but was refused it unless she gave up her British one. This just isn't practical, or sensible, if you are looking at residency taxes, pensions, reciprocal health care etc. That's what 17.4M wankers voted for. This also has a negative effect on my retirement plans, where the reciprocal healthcare issue is a serious one for me. But that's OK, because apparently I can just come back to the UK for treatment....
Old 01-04-2019, 04:16 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
Well we all live in a world where weíre often asked to provide proof of identity, proof of the right to work etc etc.

Iíve used my British passport far more often in relation to such matters than I ever have in relation to going on actual holidays!

None of us can escape the need to provide this sort evidence and Iíd have advised anyone resident here to get their settlement (or citizenship if they prefer) in formal order regardless of Brexit.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:22 PM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
Quote:
Well, no. I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me if other countries have a similar approach. I am firmly of the opinion that anyone who has lived and worked here for many years should be able to remain with no questions asked. Citizenship of another country is not an automatic right, but could and maybe should be formally granted with a minimum of fuss.

The only ones I would get rid of are the criminals and beggars who shake McDonalds cups in your face along North End. We have enough trash of our own, thank you very much, but that right has currently been taken away from us. But that is another matter entirely.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:25 PM

Hpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Well, no. I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me if other countries have a similar approach. I am firmly of the opinion that anyone who has lived and worked here for many years should be able to remain with no questions asked. Citizenship of another country is not an automatic right, but could and maybe should be formally granted with a minimum of fuss.

The only ones I would get rid of are the criminals and beggars who shake McDonalds cups in your face along North End. We have enough trash of our own, thank you very much, but that right has currently been taken away from us. But that is another matter entirely.
You are calling beggars 'trash'?
Old 01-04-2019, 04:30 PM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Under EU law we can deport someone who cant support themselves after 3 months, but UK government chooses not to
Old 01-04-2019, 04:34 PM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpalace View Post
You are calling beggars 'trash'?
No, the jail-bird criminals. Sorry I didn't make myself clear.

We need to do something about the aggressive cup-wavers though. Many a time I have given money to or bought burger and coffee for poor souls who seem in genuine need. A short conversation with them and you realise they are in real need. I was briefly homeless for short while ten years back, but was lucky enough to have family to fall back on. There but for the grace of god etc.

And no, I don't want a medal. Nor to deflect from the real point here. Law-abiding people should have no difficulty in formalising their right to stay - permanently.

Last edited by davech; 01-04-2019 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:41 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Quote:

And it is something that successive governments have had the powers to address, but have chosen not to.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:42 PM

Hpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is here
Quote:
No, the jail-bird criminals. Sorry I didn't make myself clear.

We need to do something about the aggressive cup-wavers though. Many a time I have given money to or bought burger and coffee for poor souls who seem in genuine need. A short conversation with them and you realise they are in real need. I was briefly homeless for short while ten years back, but was lucky enough to have family to fall back on. There but for the grace of god etc.

And no, I don't want a medal. Nor to deflect from the real point here. Law-abiding people should have no difficulty in formalising their right to stay - permanently.
Well that's alright then
Old 01-04-2019, 04:44 PM
Old and jaded

Quote:
And it is something that successive governments have had the powers to address, but have chosen not to.
Thanks for the info. I knew it was once the case but didn't realise it was our government's choice to pursue the course the do.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:52 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I knew it was once the case but didn't realise it was our government's choice to pursue the course the do.
Reps AJ beat me to it.
Labour, Con/Lib Dem and Con govts all chose to do f*ck all.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:17 PM

rhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is here
Quote:
Are you serious? All the angry brexiters lying about immigration over the years. It is so irritating that the lies shout louder than the truth.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:32 PM

steeleye20 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteeleye20 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteeleye20 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteeleye20 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteeleye20 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteeleye20 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteeleye20 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteeleye20 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteeleye20 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteeleye20 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesteeleye20 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reps AJ View Post
Under EU law we can deport someone who cant support themselves after 3 months, but UK government chooses not to
Mrs May, as home secretary, strikes again.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:02 PM

kevb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekevb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekevb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekevb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekevb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekevb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekevb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekevb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekevb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekevb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekevb : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:

ILR is the same as settlement. Neither give you rights to a British passport. For that you need citizenship.