Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ The Politics Forum

Notices

The Politics Forum Discussions that are wholly or mainly concerned with UK politics

View Poll Results: Which one
Conservatives 33 16.34%
Labour 61 30.20%
Lib Dem 74 36.63%
Green 9 4.46%
Brexit 12 5.94%
Someone else 1 0.50%
Moo = canít be bothered/spoil ballot paper 12 5.94%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2019, 07:15 AM

SE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHGATE EAGLE View Post
I thought I made it clear and sorry if you didn't get it; I don't know if Brexit is good for the country, per se, but we voted for it and we can't ignore a legal, democratic referendum in a democratic country.
This has to be said again. The 2016 referendum was advisory, but had the outcome been enshrined in law, it would have been invalidated by the high court, due to proven illegal activities by Vote Leave. Cameron, when he was PM gave a personal undertaking that despite the vote only having advisory status, his government would honour the outcome. However, he resigned the very next day, and a new government was installed when Theresa May was elected the new PM, and she was not bound by his promise.

Then parliament rather naively voted to trigger A50, disregarding the fact that the Tory government had no plan, and no intention of seeking a cross party consensus in negotiations with the EU.

This is the recipe that has led to the current impasse, and now regrettably, a genuine and true usurping of our democracy by the chancer Johnson, and that should be where everyone's disgruntlement who care about our democracy, should be focused.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:26 AM

BillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisuk View Post
I donít think it matters which way you vote Iím terms of tactical voting (as itís called) this has got a hung parliament written all over it.

Then the issues begin Lib lab coalition unlikely to happen Personally think libs canít run the risk of doing this again and think they have to many issues

Con lab coalition well thatís never going to happen

So lab snp coalition could occur with Corbyn offering a Scot Indy ref to sturgeon who could well snap his hand off but thatís unlikely to give them a majority

So then it comes down to who has the highest percentage in the commons and goes to the queen and ask to run a minority government that could result in hardly anything passing through in terms of legislation in parliament

So where does that leave my vote I have not idea
The betting markets currently reflect a hung parliament as the most likely scenario. For me the only logic at that point would be to have another referendum on Brexit (May deal, no deal, cancel Brexit) and deliver that straight away. Then another general election not based on Brexit. Itís a lot of bother but itís the only way to unpick this mess. However, thatís probably unlikely given the makeup of the new hung parliament will likely include more brexiteer Toryís and some Brexit party mps who will not want another referendum. Depressing.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:28 AM

Reg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is here
Surprised by posts above about croydon south
labour way ahead of lib dems

2017 election
Conservatives 33 334
Labour. 21 928
Lib Dems 3 541
Green 1 125
UKIP 1 116
Christian People's 213

Majority 11 406

A 'safe" conservative seat but there are many that are now far 'safer'
Croydon south has had demographic changes and it's not all Purley Webb estate
Old 05-09-2019, 07:36 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Things have changed since I last voted there, then (1983, I think).
Old 05-09-2019, 07:38 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Boris Johnson's own seat will be an interesting battleground. He currently holds a majority of around 5,000, but Labour have selected a British-Asian local councillor to stand against him. This guy has basically made it his life's work to win the seat and has spent the past year diligently canvassing the electorate. They seem to be increasingly confident that they can win.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:42 AM

Reg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is here
The candidate will seek to maximise the student (Brunei university) vote as he was previously head of the students union there and is only 24
A bit like how Rosie duffield maximised the student vote in Canterbury and won the seat surprisingly for labour last election
Old 05-09-2019, 07:42 AM

Brunel not Brunei!
Old 05-09-2019, 07:43 AM
Safe European Home

JDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is here
Who will I vote for? Somebody who isnít an Ex major pubic school boarder. Fed up in particular with the Old Etonian version of this
Old 05-09-2019, 07:46 AM

tsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettsunamiman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg_Maudling View Post
The candidate will seek to maximise the student (Brunei university) vote as he was previously head of the students union there and is only 24
A bit like how Rosie duffield maximised the student vote in Canterbury and won the seat surprisingly for labour last election
Caroline Lucas did the same thing in Brighton when she first came in.

Anyone else annoyed by the colours being wrong in the Poll?
Old 05-09-2019, 07:52 AM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
Straight Labour / Tory fight where I am so an easy decision.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)
Old 05-09-2019, 07:54 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg_Maudling View Post
Surprised by posts above about croydon south
labour way ahead of lib dems

2017 election
Conservatives 33 334
Labour. 21 928
Lib Dems 3 541
Green 1 125
UKIP 1 116
Christian People's 213

Majority 11 406

A 'safe" conservative seat but there are many that are now far 'safer'
Croydon south has had demographic changes and it's not all Purley Webb estate
It's always struck me as quite strange how the Croydon seats are Conservative/Labour battlegrounds with Lib Dems nowhere, while the neighbouring Sutton seats are Conservative/Lib Dem marginals (although Labour made big gains in Sutton and Cheam at the last election - I hope they don't split the vote again in this election and allow Scully to retain his seat).

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 05-09-2019, 08:02 AM

BillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBillyTKid came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
It's always struck me as quite strange how the Croydon seats are Conservative/Labour battlegrounds with Lib Dems nowhere, while the neighbouring Sutton seats are Conservative/Lib Dem marginals (although Labour made big gains in Sutton and Cheam at the last election - I hope they don't split the vote again in this election and allow Scully to retain his seat).
I would imagine historic voting patterns influence current voting. If you have in your mind that Lib Demís donít do well then you think itís a wasted vote. So much of the UK political system is based on history (both locally and within a persons family).

I expect in Uxbridge and South ruislip you won't be able to move at the next election for momentum activists trying to get johnson out

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickP View Post
What did the Lib dems moderate in the coalition?

Austerity - no. Public sector pay freeze throughout linked ti swingeing pension increases, freeze on benefits, unfair disability tests etc, huge tuition fees rise (despite pledge.

All they got was a vote on AV (not even proper PR)

Struggling to think of one thing they did to hold back the Tory assault. May ramped up the Hostile Environment to immigrants ("deport first and ask questions later').

So how did this holding back of the Tories manifest itself? - seemed to be a pretty seamless continuation from coalition to Tory majority to me.
Simply by being the voice of dissent and slowing down/minimising the Tory slash and burn. When they were out the picture was when it started to go towards hell in a hand cart.

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Member of the Strange Aircraft Clique
16th December 2018
Old 05-09-2019, 08:09 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTKid View Post
I would imagine historic voting patterns influence current voting. If you have in your mind that Lib Demís donít do well then you think itís a wasted vote. So much of the UK political system is based on history (both locally and within a persons family).
Yes, I'm sure that's right. It's just interesting that that is how history has worked out.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 05-09-2019, 08:24 AM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
Boris Johnson's own seat will be an interesting battleground. He currently holds a majority of around 5,000, but Labour have selected a British-Asian local councillor to stand against him. This guy has basically made it his life's work to win the seat and has spent the past year diligently canvassing the electorate. They seem to be increasingly confident that they can win.
Would laugh my head off
Old 05-09-2019, 08:31 AM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTKid View Post
True... my constituency is a safe Labour seat... think the majority was 15k+

Tories second then the Lib Dems a very distant 3rd
Old 05-09-2019, 09:10 AM
'What's for dinner?'

Max_Power Sam the man is hereMax_Power Sam the man is hereMax_Power Sam the man is hereMax_Power Sam the man is hereMax_Power Sam the man is hereMax_Power Sam the man is hereMax_Power Sam the man is hereMax_Power Sam the man is hereMax_Power Sam the man is hereMax_Power Sam the man is hereMax_Power Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reps AJ View Post
Would laugh my head off
Surely they won't be stupid enough to let him fight for a marginal seat in a general election? Especially considering he'll have no time to actually fight for the constituency through the election?

I imagine what they'd like to do is give him one of the rebels' safe seats for the next election but how confident are they that the general electorate would ignore that kind of cowardice?

It certainly is an interesting prospect.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
Yes, I'm sure that's right. It's just interesting that that is how history has worked out.
I think the Lib Demís have a big opportunity to rewrite / break some of these historical voting rules in the south east. A lot of places where it has traditionally been all labour or conservative could see a surge towards LD if looking for a central ground. Iím going to be voting for Lib Dem is my constituency of Epping Forest.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:17 AM
Who give you extra?

thehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
In croydon central so I actually get a vote

If its corbyn vs no deal Brexit then would have to reluctantly vote Corbyn.

Will see at the time though. Pretty depressing