Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 17-09-2019, 01:43 PM

jmemour came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjmemour came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjmemour came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjmemour came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjmemour came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjmemour came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjmemour came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjmemour came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjmemour came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjmemour came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjmemour came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin john View Post
This is undoubtably true, he also makes everyone around him look a far better player than they are.

He clearly was neither properly fit or match sharp on Saturday.
Is the correct answer.
Old 17-09-2019, 01:46 PM

Hal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw16girl View Post
It isn't just the spurs match but that highlighted something that I have noticed. Generally at least once a match he makes an error so obvious so outstandingly bad that you can only gasp. .
And on other occasions he's 95% of the way towards making an unbelieveable cock-up but then manages to somehow claw his way out of it.

I agree with your summary.

And he's not our best ever centre back. Ahead of him would certainly be Alan Stephenson and Mel Blyth. Possibly he's our best in the last 45 years.
Old 17-09-2019, 01:54 PM

switchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is here
Should play him behind Ayew
"Every time a new player comes to the club I always try to make them understand what it means to play for Crystal Palace. It's a place unlike other clubs, the fans they're just incredible and I want them to understand that. It's part of my job as a senior player to make sure they know what it is and the passion behind it." - Speroni
Old 17-09-2019, 02:02 PM
A gift

CarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is hereCarlosTheFinger Sam the man is here
Best defender I've ever seen at Palace too. I even voted him my player of the season during his initial 8-game spell as I felt he'd had the biggest influence in keeping us up that season.

I don't think he's been as imperious since then and much more injury-prone than we've deserved for the outlay on him but in a team that rarely sets pulses racing with our attacking play, I love watching his sometimes overly flashy style; mistakes and all. I think if actual defensive solidity was my top priority when watching football, I'd tend to agree with you but that's not what I watch football for.
Old 17-09-2019, 02:05 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
If he didn't have that 1 mistake a game in him he would still be playing for a top 6 team.

The question for me is how many times does his error cost us? How many times have we conceded from it, or had a player sent off trying to recover etc. Because for the rest of the time he is probably the best defender we have ever had and I think we concede less with him playing.

If that balance changes however.......
Old 17-09-2019, 02:07 PM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
I prefer Craig Moore.
Old 17-09-2019, 02:08 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom View Post
I prefer Craig Moore.
Didn't play at the top level will always be the thing against him, as good as he was to watch.
Old 17-09-2019, 02:09 PM

cockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is here
Certainly has his faults, and repeats them every season.
He'll be here until his contract runs out no matter.

At least now we have another option who's used to playing as a left sided CB (Cahill), so he can be rotated or dropped - plus for when he's injured.
Old 17-09-2019, 02:11 PM
Zuffenhausen

917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Low View Post
And on other occasions he's 95% of the way towards making an unbelieveable cock-up but then manages to somehow claw his way out of it.

I agree with your summary.

And he's not our best ever centre back. Ahead of him would certainly be Alan Stephenson and Mel Blyth. Possibly he's our best in the last 45 years.
Mel Blyth, king of the backpass, are you mad?
Old 17-09-2019, 02:15 PM

Penstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is here
Passes the ball far better than most of our players.

But paid far too much money for him and injury prone.
Old 17-09-2019, 02:17 PM
From the sunny Side

sunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsunshine lucas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Think he makes a massive difference particularly re playing teams around/below us... I'm sure performance v Sheff Utd would have been v different if he had been playing. Dann and Kelly's distribution that game contributed to the abject performance from the midfield...
Old 17-09-2019, 02:17 PM

CharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is hereCharlieCPFC Sam the man is here
Class act, was Frances top choice centre half before the drugs scandal. We're lucky to have him. Judging him on his first game back without a proper pre season and next to a centre half he's never played with before is harsh. He will be one of the first names on the team sheet and rightly so.

Clinton Morrison.
Old 17-09-2019, 02:22 PM

AddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is here
Definitely gets done against pace , Son went past him and made it look like he was standing still , Tomkins & Cahill will become first choice , we’re covered very well at centre back , shame we can’t say the same about the forwards .
Old 17-09-2019, 02:28 PM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddoWolz View Post
Definitely gets done against pace , Son went past him and made it look like he was standing still , Tomkins & Cahill will become first choice , we’re covered very well at centre back , shame we can’t say the same about the forwards .
Has anyone mentioned his pace before?
Old 17-09-2019, 02:34 PM

andyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is here
Was it Sakho that made a defensive mistake a season or two back and in trying to recover from the mistake, resulted in injury? Or was that Tomkins? Or was that Dann?
Old 17-09-2019, 02:43 PM

wavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
His occasional errors mostly come from overplaying, trying to thread the pass out of defense under pressure when our other CB's would have just thumped it downfield, or backheeling a pass in our own penalty area. He's often overwhelmingly succeeding at passes and techniques that our other CB's would never dare try. Of course when it goes wrong it looks like a total howler.

His mistake at the weekend was uncharacteristic, it was an error from lack of concentration rather than overplaying and I put that down to a lack of match sharpness. He's the best CB we have and once he gets back in the groove in a couple of games he'll be showing it on the pitch.
Old 17-09-2019, 02:54 PM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
People talk as though the other Center halves don’t make mistakes. Kelly gave away two penalties the other week. Luckily the ref didn’t give them.
Old 17-09-2019, 02:59 PM
O Captain! My Captain!

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
He is out best CB ever I agree. But he has two big obvious issues. Occasionally he looses concentration and he also gets injured a lot. Remove these vices and you have a top 4 player.

I would also say that I am bit worried about Saturday - He didn't just look off the pace he looked like his legs had gone. I think its likely this is not the case but it was worrying me and I hope he puts that to bed with a good display against Wolves.
Old 17-09-2019, 03:04 PM

costello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcostello came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
We just play much better football when he's starting the attacks, imo.
This is so true. Without Sakho there is no ball along the deck and through the middle.
Old 17-09-2019, 03:08 PM

dufski13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdufski13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdufski13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdufski13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdufski13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdufski13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdufski13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdufski13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdufski13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdufski13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdufski13 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw16girl View Post
And this is the sort of reply that I would have laid money I would have received. I know a lot of neutrals who cannot understand why we paid the money we did for him and why we think he is so good based on the evidence of how he is playing for us. Yet this is the kind of response Palace fans give. I do not understand it.
I know a lot of neutral fans (whatever that means, I would say fans of other teams) who think & say exactly the same about Zaha. Without whom I am absolutely certain we would have gone down in each of the last 6 seasons.
Without Sakho in that first season when he came in on loan we would also have gone down. He has been on a long lay off & must be allowed to play himself into form & match fitness. When he is in form & fit he is one of the first names on the team sheet, along with Luka, Wilfred & Guaita imo.