Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 15-11-2019, 12:34 PM

eaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHGATE EAGLE View Post
I was a teen in the Holmesdale at the 1988 Birmingham match we needed to win by a 6-0 to have any hope of the play offs. The stand was rammed. I suspect with new people, because I couldn't recognize any of the usuals that stood around there. Some new 'fans' were using racial epithets when Bright missed a chance early in the half and having a grand old time doing it. I was surprised because I couldn't remember anything like that in that stand before and had been going since about seven. Maybe I had been too young to notice before. Obviously the most raucous Palace were in the AW and my father had never wanted us to stand there before so can't comment on whether it was an issue, but again, couldn't remember hearing that kind of negativity.

However, within two years we were promoted and my family took season season tickets in the seats at the rear of the AW. I can't remember even singular examples of racists there, let alone organized chanting.

I'm not saying Ashton is making anything up but I don't like how the article makes us seem like a club with an historical racism issue. I just don't remember us that way, aside from the very odd, bad egg. We sure as hell weren't like the Chelsea or Millwall fans I remember us visiting during those times.
1989 and it was 4-0 we needed to win by. We were 4-0 up, City were one down when it all kicked off. Then City equalised and it was all over. I think our match was 4-1 in the end
Old 15-11-2019, 12:35 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
I was at a Charlton v Liverpool match in 87/88 season at Selhurst. Back then the younger lot were allowed to stand behind the advertisement hoardings down the side of the Arthur.

During the game, John Barnes had the ball just in front of us when I suddenly felt and heard something whizz just past my head and land at Barnes’s feet that came from the Charlton end. It was then I noticed a single banana lying on the pitch. Happened twice.

Never saw anything like that at Palace. I’m quite shocked to hear that posters recall the ‘trigger’ song sung at Barnes in 1990 by Palace.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 15-11-2019, 12:46 PM
Over Land & Sea

imashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by strolling bones View Post
I certainly heard it many times . George Berry inparticular got some terrible abuse from palace fans. john barnes was another . We were not immune by any stretch of the imagination .
That is probably the only racist chant I ever heard in the Arthur in the 80's by Palace aimed at George Berry of wolves Blackberry Blackberry someone must of nicked it and made a fortune years later.

And years later by wolves fans in the away end in the Arthur aimed at Chris Armstrong and Eric Young.
Old 15-11-2019, 01:15 PM

Psych came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsych came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsych came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsych came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsych came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsych came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsych came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsych came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsych came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsych came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsych came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksop Palace View Post
I’d be absolutely staggered if in every single ground in the country, every week, you didn’t hear some form of racist chanting in the 80’s

It has to be said, some grounds were far worse than others. I remember going to the old den with my godfather many times and the racism was open, nasty and fairly widespread.
Old 15-11-2019, 01:17 PM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Location: Between Jamaica and St Maarten but Sutton for the summer
Timbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTimbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTimbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTimbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTimbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTimbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTimbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTimbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTimbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTimbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTimbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I remember something of the George Berry incident, didn't it stop the moment he glared back at the perpetrator(s) and made as if he was gonna jump into the crowd? Holmesdale end?
Old 15-11-2019, 01:22 PM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by foetus eagle View Post
Neil Ashton? Hardest game in the world.

Old 15-11-2019, 01:22 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Just to add another thing on the subject. Coppell met up with Brighty at a service station to try and persuade him to come to Palace. Coppell had been to a few Leicester reserve games to watch him and commented to Bright that he noticed a lot of racist comments from Leicester fans towards him, and that he would’nt get any of that at Palace.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 15-11-2019, 01:25 PM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Just to add another thing on the subject. Coppell met up with Brighty at a service station to try and persuade him to come to Palace. Coppell had been to a few Leicester reserve games to watch him and commented to Bright that he noticed a lot of racist comments from Leicester fans towards him, and that he would’nt get any of that at Palace.
Exactly that.
Old 15-11-2019, 01:28 PM
N14 and not so proud...

SOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglejez View Post
1989 and it was 4-0 we needed to win by. We were 4-0 up, City were one down when it all kicked off. Then City equalised and it was all over. I think our match was 4-1 in the end
I think it was 6-0 we needed but it hardly mattered because Millwall, having already won the title () then decided not to turn up against Blackburn in what should have been Blackburn's hardest match of the season. Gut wrenching. The police horses on the pitch did bring a certain circus charm to the disappointment however, along with the Brum clown who climbed one of the floodlights.

I can only remember one clear example of a Holmesdale crowd even beginning to get naughty and that was a contingent who started ridiculing Bradford fans after the fire. They were quickly silenced, double-quick, by the other Palace around them. There's always going to be idiots anywhere from time to time but we've never been a nasty club since I can remember. This article is an unfair disservice of our club, IMHO.
Old 15-11-2019, 01:31 PM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
No, not every game, and not even the majority of games. But definitely in the AW.

The numbers involved were small, but at that time attendances were low, so it probably sounded more prominent.
That’s awful and I certainly don’t recall that at all but obviously it could’ve happened further along the stand. We used to stand in the singing section .
Old 15-11-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
I was at a Charlton v Liverpool match in 87/88 season at Selhurst. Back then the younger lot were allowed to stand behind the advertisement hoardings down the side of the Arthur.

During the game, John Barnes had the ball just in front of us when I suddenly felt and heard something whizz just past my head and land at Barnes’s feet that came from the Charlton end. It was then I noticed a single banana lying on the pitch. Happened twice.

Never saw anything like that at Palace. I’m quite shocked to hear that posters recall the ‘trigger’ song sung at Barnes in 1990 by Palace.
Never heard it either , pikeys were quite well known for the racist element back then.
Old 15-11-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHGATE EAGLE View Post
I think it was 6-0 we needed but it hardly mattered because Millwall, having already won the title () then decided not to turn up against Blackburn in what should have been Blackburn's hardest match of the season. Gut wrenching. The police horses on the pitch did bring a certain circus charm to the disappointment however, along with the Brum clown who climbed one of the floodlights.

I can only remember one clear example of a Holmesdale crowd even beginning to get naughty and that was a contingent who started ridiculing Bradford fans after the fire. They were quickly silenced, double-quick, by the other Palace around them. There's always going to be idiots anywhere from time to time but we've never been a nasty club since I can remember. This article is an unfair disservice of our club, IMHO.
You lot are getting your years and events mixed up.

The Birmingham game was 89, and we indeed needed to win 6-0 and ManC to lose for us to pip them to an automatic place. To complicate matters, our game got delayed for about 40 minutes due to the trouble. So when the players came back out at 1-0 or 2-0 to resume the first half, City were already in the second half of their match against Bradford. They were a goal down and we’d raced into a 4-0 first half lead.

I think we heard just at the beginning of our second half that City had scored a late equaliser and were promoted. The news filtered through to the players and the rest of the game was a non event, finishing 4-1 as thoughts went forward to the play offs. Thankfully we won the play offs in the end.

The Millwall/Blackburn episode was the year before, when we beat Man C at home but the intoxicated, already promoted Millwall side got stuffed 4-1 at home to Blackburn meaning we missed out on the play offs.

- John Peel
Old 15-11-2019, 01:54 PM
N14 and not so proud...

SOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
You lot are getting your years and events mixed up.

The Birmingham game was 89, and we indeed needed to win 6-0 and ManC to lose for us to pip them to an automatic place. To complicate matters, our game got delayed for about 40 minutes due to the trouble. So when the players came back out at 1-0 or 2-0 to resume the first half, City were already in the second half of their match against Bradford. They were a goal down and we’d raced into a 4-0 first half lead.

I think we heard just at the beginning of our second half that City had scored a late equaliser and were promoted. The news filtered through to the players and the rest of the game was a non event, finishing 4-1 as thoughts went forward to the play offs. Thankfully we won the play offs in the end.

The Millwall/Blackburn episode was the year before, when we beat Man C at home but the intoxicated, already promoted Millwall side got stuffed 4-1 at home to Blackburn meaning we missed out on the play offs.
Yes, quite right. I did mix the events. I remember SSC alluding to how there would have been a 'steward's enquiry' had the Millwall match happened in horseracing, due to 'alcoholic consumption.' I bet they loved rolling over to Blackburn to spite our chances. Of course, the home 4-3 was sweet revenge in following years.
Old 15-11-2019, 02:14 PM

CPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is here
Seen some pretty shitty things at Palace. The abuse John Fashanu received was a major low point.
Old 15-11-2019, 02:15 PM
Unregistered Muser

regal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is here
I've never heard that chant nor anything racist at Palace, but apparently some ****s still see fit to sing about Stephen Christopher Yaxley-Lennon (Aka Tommy Robinson) so we unfortunately do have some complete and utter c**** in our ranks.
Old 15-11-2019, 02:21 PM

hdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is here
Palace had songs and chants for our black players that would now be classed as racist even though they were in support of them and not derogatory.

Palace have had many great black players and it is part of our culture and has been since the 1970's.

The Reggae Sun-splash Music Festival was held at Selhurst Park.

COYP
Old 15-11-2019, 02:23 PM
Unregistered Muser

regal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is hereregal_eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdeagle View Post
Palace should bring that back
Old 15-11-2019, 02:34 PM

fish finger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefish finger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefish finger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefish finger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefish finger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefish finger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefish finger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefish finger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefish finger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefish finger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefish finger : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal_eagle View Post
Palace should bring that back
And It's a Knockout.
Old 15-11-2019, 02:51 PM

Psych came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsych came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsych came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsych came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsych came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsych came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsych came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsych came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsych came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsych came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPsych came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdeagle View Post
Palace had songs and chants for our black players that would now be classed as racist even though they were in support of them and not derogatory.

Palace have had many great black players and it is part of our culture and has been since the 1970's.

COYP

I think the ‘trigger chant’ would be classed racist in any era HD.
Old 15-11-2019, 03:29 PM

Panther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPanther came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIZARD View Post
Watched a programme hosted by Wrighty last night about the abuse black football players have received through the ages - Paul Canoville was on it talking about his Chelsea debut at Selhurst at first thinking the Palace fans were racially abusing him, then it dawned on him it was his own fans!

from Wiki

"He made his debut against Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park on 12 April 1982, coming on as a late substitute for Clive Walker, who had scored the only goal of the game.[13]

As I'm stretching and running, I hear loud individual voices through the noise: 'Sit down you black c**t!, 'You f**ing *** – f**k off!' Over and over again. Lots of different people. I hardly dared look around. They were right behind me. I snatched a glimpse. They were all wearing blue shirts and scarves – Chelsea fans, my side's fans, faces screwed with pure hatred and anger, all directed at me... I felt physically sick. I was absolutely terrified.

— Canoville faced abuse from his own fans for the colour of his skin"
I was there and couldn't believe that Chelsea fans ( never the nicest folk, admittedly) were getting at one of their own players; it was truly disgusting.