Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 11-03-2019, 03:46 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy Dalton View Post
Indeed I have Motown Chartbusters 1-6 all the original vinyl releases, along with a large collection of 45's and albums of Motown records. 60's music in general provided the perfect soundtrack to Palace's rise from 4th to 1st division and it is fitting that "Glad All Over" is still a huge part of the Palace experienece
I could have made this same post! Seeing as we are both 63 I guess it makes sense we have the same record collections!
Old 12-03-2019, 10:35 PM

tony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian king View Post
Sorry Granada not this game. Francis debut not until 1970-71 season and Palace did not meet Birmingham again until 26th August 1972.

This fixture (March 69) was one of my first away games. Felt I had to go after the Cardiff and Derby victories.
I also made the trip for that game. Attached is John Matthews excellent report. Although I do not have the programme any more I seem to remember that there as an article on Cliff Jackson but had a picture of John McCormick instead which he signed on the station waiting for the train back.
Trevor Francis played in the 1-1 draw August 1972
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Birmingham 1969.jpg (1.04 MB, 41 views)
Old 16-03-2019, 09:36 AM
In a nutshell

Percy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Oops 24 hours late, busy day yesterday.

15th March 50 years ago Palace 1 - Bury 0

A goal from Bobby Woodruff saw us claim 2 more valuable points after an unusual whole week between games in a frantic period of fixtures as all the postponed matches due to the very cold weather were caught up.

Bury was the club Arthur Wait had pinched Bert Head from, a very astute signing, maybe one of the best Palace have ever made.

After this win it was set up nicely for the biggest derby ever v Millwall four days later, could not wait the excitement was at feaver pitch!

"Why go to learn the words of fools?" Steve Marriott/Ronnie Lane
Old 16-03-2019, 11:08 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Oops 24 hours late, busy day yesterday.

15th March 50 years ago Palace 1 - Bury 0

A goal from Bobby Woodruff saw us claim 2 more valuable points after an unusual whole week between games in a frantic period of fixtures as all the postponed matches due to the very cold weather were caught up.

Bury was the club Arthur Wait had pinched Bert Head from, a very astute signing, maybe one of the best Palace have ever made.

After this win it was set up nicely for the biggest derby ever v Millwall four days later, could not wait the excitement was at feaver pitch!
This one has gone from my memory completely. Oddly enough walking down my street yesterday saw a car with a Bury F.C sticker in the back window.
Old 19-03-2019, 03:06 PM
In a nutshell

Percy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPercy Dalton came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
50 years ago today

Palace 4 - Millwall 2 leapt into 2nd place now we really were in business.

fantastic match 3-0 up at half time Millwall all at sea. From the restart Bobby Woodruff hit the bar, which seemed to wake up Millwall and Lions stormed back and had us in a bit of a wobble until we made it 4!

This win sealed the double over our local promotion rivals, now all set for another massive game at the Valley a few days later as Charlton were in the mix as well. We had drawn 3-3 at home v the Clowns early in the season and lost an FA cup 3rd round in January at Selhurst.

Old 19-03-2019, 03:08 PM
In a nutshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
I could have made this same post! Seeing as we are both 63 I guess it makes sense we have the same record collections!

Old 19-03-2019, 08:54 PM

jhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjhc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I do remember going to Oxford Utd earlier in that season. A comfortable 0-2 win for us, although I can't remember who scored. Our first ever meeting with them. I went on one of the supporters coaches.
As I recall, I had my scarf nicked by a fellow fan during the game

Own up if it was one of you

The fact that the club shop gave me a new one at the next home game probably secured my support for the next 50 years

A very special club indeed
Happy days!
Old 19-03-2019, 10:39 PM

tony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetony 1947 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Bobby Woodruff & Steve Kember scored our two goals at Oxford and Tony Taylor played his first game.
Old 20-03-2019, 08:14 AM
In a nutshell

The crowd for the Millwall game was just over 32500, in 75/76 season around 34500 was achieved for our Third division promotion clash. That match was the last time we had a 30k plus gate for a Millwall game at Selhurst. I would have thought had the capacity of Selhurst not been reduced post the sale of land to Sainsburys and the loss of the Whitehorse terrace, plus ground safety regulations post Hillsborough the only top tier game v Millwall in 89/90 would have produced a huge attendance.

Old 20-03-2019, 08:39 AM
19 years for 4,075 posts

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
A goal from Bobby Woodruff saw us claim 2 more valuable points
My absolute hero.
Old 20-03-2019, 08:46 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o View Post
My absolute hero.
Remember those throw ins. Bobeeee, Bobeee...
Old 20-03-2019, 03:14 PM
In a nutshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE View Post
Remember those throw ins. Bobeeee, Bobeee...
and one of mine from that era. His throw ins near the goal line were as good as corners. Indeed (assuming my old grey cells are correct) in the home game v Charlton they went 0-2 up in the first half with us scoring two quick goals just before half time to go in 2-2 at the break. I am certain the second was swept home directly from a long Bobby throw.

A rare sight today in the game the long throw, which is sad we could certainly do with that weapon at home where we always seem to be chasing a late match saving goal !

Old 20-03-2019, 04:49 PM

Yes the long throw v Charlton was hit home by Mel.Blyth.
Old 20-03-2019, 05:47 PM
In a nutshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony 1947 View Post
Yes the long throw v Charlton was hit home by Mel.Blyth.

Old 20-03-2019, 08:18 PM

Ended up a 3- 3 draw
Old 21-03-2019, 06:45 PM
Green man

OldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The 2 games I remember were the Fulham game and the Blackpool at home game. We lost 2-1 and I remember my dad saying as we walked up Norwood High street "We're not going up now, son - that's their lot". That was the last game we lost before the unbeaten run.
Old 21-03-2019, 06:52 PM

big bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
It was sometime in March that we signed a player who made absolutely no impact on our promotion run whatsoever. In fact he made no impact in his dismal career at Palace, which amounted to one substitute appearance the following season. But still to this day, his name sticks in the memory of Palace fans from that era. Yes, despite many fans believing he signed along with his fellow countryman Per Bartram in the summer, the Great Dane Borge Thorup signed for us during our run in to promotion. A Dane, who had to report to Norwood nick every Monday because he was classed as a foreign alien, sounded so exotic at the time.
Old 21-03-2019, 10:58 PM
In a nutshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad John View Post
It was sometime in March that we signed a player who made absolutely no impact on our promotion run whatsoever. In fact he made no impact in his dismal career at Palace, which amounted to one substitute appearance the following season. But still to this day, his name sticks in the memory of Palace fans from that era. Yes, despite many fans believing he signed along with his fellow countryman Per Bartram in the summer, the Great Dane Borge Thorup signed for us during our run in to promotion. A Dane, who had to report to Norwood nick every Monday because he was classed as a foreign alien, sounded so exotic at the time.
Other signings to boost the squad for the remaining push Were Len Julians and Brian Snowden from Millwall.

Old 22-03-2019, 08:26 AM

I don't remember either of them playing much that season. Snowden a couple of subs, Julians nada.
Old 22-03-2019, 11:25 AM
In a nutshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE View Post
I don't remember either of them playing much that season. Snowden a couple of subs, Julians nada.
There were a few fringe players who made the odd appearance. Trevor Dawkins was another.