Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 10-07-2019, 06:50 PM

speagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Covent Garden

Just moved work from square mile to Covent Garden. Finding it extremely busy and expensive to grab lunch.

Used to know a few places in the mile where you could get pub grub and a pint for 8 (Cheshire Cheese), street food (Fenchurch Street Station) around 6, Pizza Union for 6, a few little sandwich shops etc.

Convent Garden is like 12 for a pint and a toasties. Just a big tourist trap. Any little gems in the area?

Cheers.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:04 PM

rhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is here
The butler did it.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:08 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
They are all aliens.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 10-07-2019, 07:10 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
I haven't worked there for a couple of years but there used to be a few old school fulsome Italian lunchtime cafe type places at the top of (High Holborn) end of Drury Lane. They were a lot cheaper than a cockerel.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:11 PM

gjohnk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgjohnk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgjohnk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgjohnk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgjohnk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgjohnk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgjohnk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgjohnk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgjohnk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgjohnk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgjohnk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Ask the HF
Old 10-07-2019, 07:25 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle View Post
I haven't worked there for a couple of years but there used to be a few old school fulsome Italian lunchtime cafe type places at the top of (High Holborn) end of Drury Lane. They were a lot cheaper than a cockerel.
That's now all gone, really. Diana's Diner, and a few others. Used to love it around there in the late 70s and early 80s. Properly sleazy, loads of cafes, and plenty of squats and short-life housing. Now just for tourists. I don't know if the cafe in the old covered market on the Strand side is still there? If not, hop to Chinatown for some cheapish nosh.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:27 PM

speagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minespeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Thanks. I'll have a walk up that way and check it out.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:30 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagle View Post
Thanks. I'll have a walk up that way and check it out.
Not sure you'll find one. The last one I knew was opposite Central St Martin's, and that's gone as well now. Slim pickings. A ten minute walk away, there is one on Red Lion Street. Can't remember the name.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
That's now all gone, really. Diana's Diner, and a few others. Used to love it around there in the late 70s and early 80s. Properly sleazy, loads of cafes, and plenty of squats and short-life housing. Now just for tourists. I don't know if the cafe in the old covered market on the Strand side is still there? If not, hop to Chinatown for some cheapish nosh.
I hadn't thought of going China town way. Sort of avoiding heading towards Leicester Square direction as thought it would be even more tourists. Sounds tempting though.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:45 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
Diana's Diner is now the excellent, but not cheap, Parson's (on Endell Street rather than Drury Lane).

Ecco at the top of Drury Lane does smashing cheap pizzas and whatnot.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:47 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
Covent Garden is nothing like as much fun as when I worked there in the late 70s after the market shut. As Stella says there were some great artery clogging gaffs. A couple of years ago I used Echo at the top of Drury Lane which did blinding pizzas. Cafe Verona next door was pretty good. There was one opposite where you plonked the food in the tray then weighed it. About 50 yards down on the left was a little cafe in a side road with a black front. They did excellent meat baguettes. The cafe/restaurant near the Freemasons temple was fully acceptable. Then down the road running parallel to Drury Lane was the well known fish and chip shop.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:47 PM

Ah. WCB and I agree on Echo's pizzas.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:48 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Then down the road running parallel to Drury Lane was the well known fish and chip shop.
The Rock and Sole Plaice on Endell Street?
Old 10-07-2019, 07:48 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
And the Rock Garden, where I saw the worst band I have ever seen, Modern English.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:49 PM

Yes. Not as good as Cosy on Whitecross St but that went sadly.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:49 PM
jft39

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
And the Rock Garden, where I saw the worst band I have ever seen, Modern English.
Have you never seen The Clash?
Old 10-07-2019, 08:23 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Haha! They were managed by the company I did some recording for in the late 70s. That their name was 'Schoolgirl Management' tells you everything you need to know. I think I still have a couple of Modern English flexidiscs somewhere. Execrable.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:36 PM
Is on dis ting.

dannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdannyboy1807 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Porterhouse is amazing
"They will always have this. They will always have those two exquisite moments of silence. No matter what happens against Watford at Wembley, no matter whether they make it to the promised land, the night when the Amex Stadium fell quiet will enter into Crystal Palace folklore, into legend."
Old 11-07-2019, 08:28 AM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
Left Cov Garden 2 years ago, but...

Ecco Pizza is indeed fantastic and cheap.
On St Giles Square there used to be a Street Food Market on Thursdays which was good, and Vapianno opposite isn't too shabby.

Most days on Earlham Street (7 Dials), there is a little Thai Man who sells a great Thai Green Curry for a fiver. Very generous portions. I still regularly go and visit him and take one back to the office. There used to be a Greek Meatball place as well on the same street that was very good and massive portions for a fiver.

Re: Pubs, the Cross Keys on Endell Street was a very good pub that seemed to avoid being a tourist trap.
A few minutes walk away is the Holborn Whippet. They used to do amazing pizza, but I'm not sure if they've stopped now.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:37 AM
jft39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy1807 View Post
Porterhouse is amazing
Not in a good way.