Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 11-07-2019, 06:44 PM

Coastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is here
A Car Question.

For people that know about cars because I don't.

Is a diesel car worth considering in this day and age or should you stay away from them?
Old 11-07-2019, 06:50 PM
Up On The Triangle

fang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Palace View Post
For people that know about cars because I don't.

Is a diesel car worth considering in this day and age or should you stay away from them?
If you are buying second hand, do over 12k miles per year, getting it for a good price and you don't live in a City or large town, then probably yes.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:53 PM

Coastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by fang View Post
If you are buying second hand, do over 12k miles per year, getting it for a good price and you don't live in a City or large town, then probably yes.
Why over 12k miles per year?
I told you I know nowt about cars.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:58 PM
Up On The Triangle

fang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is here
Quote:
Why over 12k miles per year?
I told you I know nowt about cars.
It's the figure that is normally quoted as the threshold above which the fuel consumption savings of a diesel start to make sense.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:03 PM
Arse end of Nottingham.

henryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is here
Positives: Great reliability. Tremendous fuel economy. A smoother, better ride than many petrol cars. If you are doing a significant amount of weekly mileage and longer journeys in general, I'd swear by them. Downsides: Shorter service intervals. Not great these days for stop-start, shorter type driving. Not seen as loving the planet. Being phased out as options by a number of manufacturers. The day they stop making diesels available is probably the day I stop driving.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:03 PM

Ok thanks.
I've not worded the question right really. What I want to know is, will owning a diesel mean you'll get hit with all sorts of taxes/charges in the near future what with the environmental issues?
Old 11-07-2019, 07:12 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Diesel cars manufactured before 2015 seem more likely to attract additional charges, eg for driving in central London. But that might not be an issue for you, depending on where you intend to drive.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:16 PM

Ok thanks for all the helpful replies.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:17 PM
Up On The Triangle

Quote:
Ok thanks.
I've not worded the question right really. What I want to know is, will owning a diesel mean you'll get hit with all sorts of taxes/charges in the near future what with the environmental issues?
You are more likely to be hit with restrictions about driving into towns and cities. I think (and this is speculation) that there is a limit on how quickly other restrictions and taxes could be introduced, because so many people were encouraged to buy diesel vehicles. It would be politically fraught.

I was talking to an analyst from Morgan Stanley who said that a big problem facing car manufacturers and finance companies are PCP's. What happens when everyone with diesels hands them back and the end of the contract? Their second hand values will be nowhere near what was calculated when the contracts were taken out
Old 11-07-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
You are more likely to be hit with restrictions about driving into towns and cities. I think (and this is speculation) that there is a limit on how quickly other restrictions and taxes could be introduced, because so many people were encouraged to buy diesel vehicles. It would be politically fraught.

I was talking to an analyst from Morgan Stanley who said that a big problem facing car manufacturers and finance companies are PCP's. What happens when everyone with diesels hands them back and the end of the contract? Their second hand values will be nowhere near what was calculated when the contracts were taken out
You seem to know what you're talking about (like the others on this thread).
The car I've seen is a Toyata Yaris. Bit of a noddy car I suppose but I've got big ears and am at an age where that sort of thing doesn't matter to me.
It's a 2013 with below average mile, fsh and all that but the thing that most appeals is the 20 a year road tax.
Are these cars any good?
Old 11-07-2019, 07:37 PM
Danger Zone

Stavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is here
If you’re going to be driving around zones 1-3 it’s a minefield as the new zone is coming in and no one knows what emissions you’re allowed.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:42 PM
I am a Bad Man

RazorsEdge has disabled reputation
Quote:

That is spot on.

I returned my diesel and got a petrol couple of years ago.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:52 PM
Up On The Triangle

Quote:
You seem to know what you're talking about

Living where I do, I haven't owned a car for two years (my wife does occasionally let me drive hers).

Don't know about the Yaris but anything from a Japanese manufacturer will be fine. Go for it.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:16 PM
rusty body, strong engine

stamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is herestamford triumph Sam the man is here
If you are concerned about air quality and people's health don't buy secondhand diesel. If you don't care about that but are concerned about sell on value, don't buy diesel. If you don't want to face extra tax and restrictions on car use in urban areas don't buy diesel. If you don't care about any of these things I have no further advice.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:22 PM
My source from Ocean Park

Skintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
You seem to know what you're talking about (like the others on this thread).
The car I've seen is a Toyata Yaris. Bit of a noddy car I suppose but I've got big ears and am at an age where that sort of thing doesn't matter to me.
It's a 2013 with below average mile, fsh and all that but the thing that most appeals is the 20 a year road tax.
Are these cars any good?
What Car? is pretty good for used reviews, it should give you the idea of what to look out for.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 11-07-2019, 09:30 PM
Zuffenhausen

917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryhallandhisbasque View Post
Positives: Great reliability. Tremendous fuel economy. A smoother, better ride than many petrol cars. If you are doing a significant amount of weekly mileage and longer journeys in general, I'd swear by them. Downsides: Shorter service intervals. Not great these days for stop-start, shorter type driving. Not seen as loving the planet. Being phased out as options by a number of manufacturers. The day they stop making diesels available is probably the day I stop driving.
Diesels are no more reliable than petrol cars, and have the added DPF issues not suffered by petrol cars

Also, smoother, better ride. this is patently nonsense, there is little or no difference, in ride quality between the two, assuming the same suspension set up. The main difference is that petrol cars are silent by comparison, inside and outside the car
Old 11-07-2019, 09:47 PM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by 917L View Post
Diesels are no more reliable than petrol cars, and have the added DPF issues not suffered by petrol cars

Also, smoother, better ride. this is patently nonsense, there is little or no difference, in ride quality between the two, assuming the same suspension set up. The main difference is that petrol cars are silent by comparison, inside and outside the car
Based on your location you may know the answer to this. How did Porsche make the Cayenne Diesel S so slow?
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:24 AM
Made in Bromley

monkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I had a diesel Focus, but got rid of it after 3 years and never again. Decent car, reliable, but I had a 1.6, which ‘apparently’ is too small an engine for the size of car and it had no go in it, fine once it got going, but no zip off the mark.
Plus I didn’t do enough motorway driving and the PRS Particle reduction system ‘apparently’ could’ve eventually caused me an expensive problem.

I keep saying ‘apparently’ because I haven’t got a Scooby Doo either

Last edited by monkey; 12-07-2019 at 05:38 AM.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:23 AM
CPFC'Till'I'Die.

Rizza ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a ChryslerRizza ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a ChryslerRizza ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a ChryslerRizza ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a ChryslerRizza ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a ChryslerRizza ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a ChryslerRizza ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a ChryslerRizza ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a ChryslerRizza ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a ChryslerRizza ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a ChryslerRizza ain't a pimp and ain't a hustler; a pimp's got a Cadi and a lady got a Chrysler
Other than the environmental impact the Diesel “apparently” has. It was only 10 years ago they was saying diesel is better for the environment.

If you drive a fair distance a year 12k+ then a diesel will save you a lot of money in fuel, and you will have little problems with the car.
The engines if maintained correctly will last forever.
I went diesel 2 years ago and haven’t regretted it.

Xbox Id|RizZxD
Games. - FIFA 13 - Black ops 2
Add me :)
Old 12-07-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintagain View Post
What Car? is pretty good for used reviews, it should give you the idea of what to look out for.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Thanks.