Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 09-11-2019, 03:19 AM

Jughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJughead came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Holloway podcast

Apparently Ian H is doing a podcast and had Pulis on as a guest

you can check it out here:
To view the link you have to Register or Login

Palace related bits at
34:20
52:30
Old 09-11-2019, 07:30 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Thanks for posting. Interesting listen.

Funny how Pulis is so gushing in praise for Boro, Stoke, Bristol R, WBA....but not us!

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 09-11-2019, 07:49 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
One thing that struck me was that I listened to this after hearing this weeks FYP pod. The boys were quite despondent about things after the Leicester defeat and talking about much needed transfers as we seem so far away from Leicester in quality.

I then listened to the Holloway/Pulis pod and Pulis actually commented on this phenomenon, that seems to be spreading among our fans. He said at Stoke all they wanted at first was to keep them up, but then after a few years the fans got bored of the same successful struggles, the enthusiasm drained and there was a call to see a more exciting brand of football. Said he’s seeing the same lack of enthusiasm creeping in at Bournemouth. Holloway chimed in with the classic Charlton/Curbishley example. Pulis even said that clubs outside the top 6 are now looking at Leicester as something to aspire to.

Wondered if they’d listened to the FYP pod first too

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 09-11-2019, 08:14 AM

switchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
One thing that struck me was that I listened to this after hearing this weeks FYP pod. The boys were quite despondent about things after the Leicester defeat and talking about much needed transfers as we seem so far away from Leicester in quality.

I then listened to the Holloway/Pulis pod and Pulis actually commented on this phenomenon, that seems to be spreading among our fans. He said at Stoke all they wanted at first was to keep them up, but then after a few years the fans got bored of the same successful struggles, the enthusiasm drained and there was a call to see a more exciting brand of football. Said he’s seeing the same lack of enthusiasm creeping in at Bournemouth. Holloway chimed in with the classic Charlton/Curbishley example. Pulis even said that clubs outside the top 6 are now looking at Leicester as something to aspire to.

I think we certainly have that lack of enthusiasm as a fan base, I can’t speak for other clubs but it does feel in the past few years we have missed our key moment to kick on further, especially the season where we finished so strong with RLC. I must admit my only feeling after the Leicester game was one of knowing what it felt like to watch a team that did kick on and take their chances, I think Wolves are the same. Both are clubs pulling in and upwards trajectory and I don’t think we’ve felt that at Palace for quite some time.
"Every time a new player comes to the club I always try to make them understand what it means to play for Crystal Palace. It's a place unlike other clubs, the fans they're just incredible and I want them to understand that. It's part of my job as a senior player to make sure they know what it is and the passion behind it." - Speroni
Old 09-11-2019, 08:24 AM
Sir Roy

TheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is here
Holloway is the biggest enigma in the clubs history:

He gave us two of our best ever days in the play off semis and final. Which rightly go down in History.

On the other hand I can’t quite see past his clown like antics, he always appears to be trying to play the “character” card a little too much.

It’s an interesting listen. Holloway comes across as a very bitter about Palace/Parish. He’s also made similar snide remarks previously, especially when he got the bromwall job.

Dont want to ruin it for those who haven’t listened but one stand out comment is Holloway accusing Parish bringing in Cameron Jerome when Holloway made it clear he didn’t want him.

The most laughing matter about Holloway bitterness towards us is he is happy to take a pay cheque next month for a sporting dinner at the ground....

aashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineaashman12 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchboard View Post
I think we certainly have that lack of enthusiasm as a fan base, I can’t speak for other clubs but it does feel in the past few years we have missed our key moment to kick on further, especially the season where we finished so strong with RLC. I must admit my only feeling after the Leicester game was one of knowing what it felt like to watch a team that did kick on and take their chances, I think Wolves are the same. Both are clubs pulling in and upwards trajectory and I don’t think we’ve felt that at Palace for quite some time.
Both of those clubs have money to burn operating at levels way above us.

Quote:
But isn’t it purely down to finances? Leicester and Wolves have huge financial backers, and of course Leicester won the league the other year, which would help them financially too.

We tried to step up but got burnt when signing Benteke and I suppose the American investors, that doesn’t appear to have worked as we’d hoped it would. I just feel we have to accept that we are punching above our weight. The next step if we wish to have would mean total foreign ownership and that has the potential to go wrong in so many ways.

I know it’s frustrating, but I like what we have now; a chairman who is a supporter and ‘gets’ the clubs traditions, history and fanbase. Slowly working towards something better.

- John Peel
Old 09-11-2019, 08:28 AM
Sir Roy

TheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is hereTheMexicanHorse Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post

It’s facts though isn’t it?

In the late 90s/early 00s we used to take the piss out of Charlton fans who moaned they were “only finishing midtable” every season.

They got bored of Curbishley, got Dowie and nine months later they were relegated and haven’t looked like getting back up since.

Now we have a fanbase who are doing exactly the same thing when it
Comes to Roy.

Football fans in idiot shock, who knew?
Old 09-11-2019, 08:31 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMexicanHorse View Post

He gave us two of our best ever days in the play off semis and final. Which rightly go down in History.

On the other hand I can’t quite see past his clown like antics, he always appears to be trying to play the “character” card a little too much.

It’s an interesting listen. Holloway comes across as a very bitter about Palace/Parish. He’s also made similar snide remarks previously, especially when he got the bromwall job.

Dont want to ruin it for those who haven’t listened but one stand out comment is Holloway accusing Parish bringing in Cameron Jerome when Holloway made it clear he didn’t want him.

The most laughing matter about Holloway bitterness towards us is he is happy to take a pay cheque next month for a sporting dinner at the ground....
Interesting when you bear in mind that Jerome was a key component in the system Pulis successfully introduced that season to steer us away from relegation.

I'm not a fan of either of these characters and with Pulis in particular I struggle to understand how he still seems to be a respected figure within the game given that the courts found that he'd basically defrauded Palace. So I won't be listening.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:01 AM

SussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Holloway is an interesting one.

The side he took over after looking comfortably set for the Play Offs staggered over the finish line. We seemed to lose our way over the season.

You have to say though the Play Off games we were excellent very well organised and definsively sound. Amazing memories over those matches.

A very big ask to hit the ground running in the Premier League with the squad we had available and the scatter gun transfers.

He did seem a little out of his depth but he did the honourable thing to quit when he did to give us a small chance of staying up.

Likeable guy was good at Blackpool but he has certainly gone through a few clubs!
Old 09-11-2019, 09:06 AM
Millsie02

Shipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is here
Cheers for this! Will keep me occupied on the way to the Chelsea match
Old 09-11-2019, 12:28 PM
All views stated are IMHO

glaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is here
Quote:
I feel complete listlessness when it comes to Palace right now. The mismanagement in failing to replace RLC, Cabaye and now AWB has turned from anger to apathy. I’ll forever be Palace, and hopefully a season ticket holder for many years to come. But I can’t help feeling we’ve blown a wonderful opportunity.

Things are different with us compared to Charlton analogy, and the likes of Stoke because we had a genuine top class Champions League player in Zaha. We’ve failed to capitalise on that and may end up regretting it. Things are now only going to get worse once Wilf goes. But if we are sensible with recruitment we can still end up being a solid bottom half team often in a relegation fight rather than the team challenging for a Europa League spot that we could have been.

I don’t yearn for the likes of Camarasa or Meyer anymore. I’m perfectly happy with McArthur and Kouyate. That’s just where we are, we can’t afford to be expansive because there are too many holes and we’d just get picked off with the current side if we did switch to a more expansive game. Acid test comes when Wilf moves on. For now, enjoy the mid-table solidity and see where we are at the end of the season.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:09 PM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMexicanHorse View Post

I don't think he was a clown with us. Passionate and loud but not a clown.

The clown was the one dancing like a fool on the touchline at Wembley rather than focusing on the next 10 minutes of the match.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:10 PM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by SussexRed&Blue View Post
Holloway is an interesting one.

The side he took over after looking comfortably set for the Play Offs staggered over the finish line. We seemed to lose our way over the season.

You have to say though the Play Off games we were excellent very well organised and definsively sound. Amazing memories over those matches.

A very big ask to hit the ground running in the Premier League with the squad we had available and the scatter gun transfers.

He did seem a little out of his depth but he did the honourable thing to quit when he did to give us a small chance of staying up.

Likeable guy was good at Blackpool but he has certainly gone through a few clubs!
I don't think we'd have gone up under Dougie. Holloway certainly did his job here so there is no reason not to be grateful for that.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:21 PM

palace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
These clubs are on a different level financially.

Last edited by palace_burger; 09-11-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:42 PM

Stan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is here
Good listen that. Parish comes across as a complete w*nker, not honouring a gentleman's agreement, instead saying "you should have had it put in writing". What a prick.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:52 AM
All views stated are IMHO

glaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash View Post
I don't think we'd have gone up under Dougie. Holloway certainly did his job here so there is no reason not to be grateful for that.
We would have walked the league under Dougie. Things were just clicking into place. That was a side capable of winning the league. Instead we scraped through the play-offs. Obviously delighted that we did, but shouldn’t have been as tight as it was with that group.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:40 AM

old traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietold traf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by glaziers fan View Post
We would have walked the league under Dougie. Things were just clicking into place. That was a side capable of winning the league. Instead we scraped through the play-offs. Obviously delighted that we did, but shouldn’t have been as tight as it was with that group.
Of course it was tight, Greedman walks out half way through the season, then a new manager comes in with no knowledge of the club or the players, he is virtually on his own, as Greedman has taken most of the his staff with him.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:12 AM

les aigles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietles aigles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietles aigles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietles aigles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietles aigles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietles aigles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietles aigles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietles aigles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietles aigles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietles aigles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietles aigles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Definitely. It was all coming together under Dougie. You just wonder what really happened behind the scenes because the departure and the timing never made sense.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:23 AM
Palace Addict

trufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is here
Quote:
On the plus side, keeping Doug would have robbed us of the Amex and Wembley. Two of the best Palace days in recent memory.