Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 24-03-2020, 10:15 AM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Corona work, furlough, business, bankruptcy and redundancy

Thought it might be helpful to have a side thread, a mutation in current parlance, on the effects of corona on work and business.

Hopefully it will mainly be practical advice and interesting observation, about rates, furloughing, employment rights, rents, server issues etc.

I am due to pay a quarter's rate in advance today, I note the boss of Burger King announced this morning he will be paying no rent.
Old 24-03-2020, 10:19 AM

dogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is here
What is the situation regarding rents? I've only seen governments 'advise' and no really decisive decisions.
Old 24-03-2020, 10:19 AM

rhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is here
I need to review the rules on furlough today as part of my businesses response to COVID.
Old 24-03-2020, 10:22 AM

PHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPHIL BARBER came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
For businesses hold back on non essential payments, or try and agree some kind of a payment plan, pay your small independent suppliers.
Old 24-03-2020, 10:27 AM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin john View Post
Thought it might be helpful to have a side thread, a mutation in current parlance, on the effects of corona on work and business.

Hopefully it will mainly be practical advice and interesting observation, about rates, furloughing, employment rights, rents, server issues etc.

I am due to pay a quarter's rate in advance today, I note the boss of Burger King announced this morning he will be paying no rent.
We were due to pay the rates, but have cancelled in anticipation of them being relieved.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 24-03-2020, 10:30 AM
Semper Idem

Furlough remains an unknown ; for instance, do you have to first make staff redundant, (as opposed to just telling them they are furloughed).

And - whilst in theory furloughed staff cannot work - can they work on stuff which improves their competences etc. It would obviously be wrong if this work they did made the Company money, but if it’s just keeping their skills honed, and helping with their mental health needs, surely that’s allowable?

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 24-03-2020, 10:32 AM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
We were due to pay the rates, but have cancelled in anticipation of them being relieved.
I think we have those on DD, thanks for reminding me to check
Old 24-03-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Furlough remains an unknown ; for instance, do you have to first make staff redundant, (as opposed to just telling them they are furloughed).

And - whilst in theory furloughed staff cannot work - can they work on stuff which improves their competences etc. It would obviously be wrong if this work they did made the Company money, but if itís just keeping their skills honed, and helping with their mental health needs, surely thatís allowable?
I assume you are specifically not allowed to make them redundant, that's the whole point. Plus it would also spark a redundancy payment often.

So I assume you just tell them they are furloughed. I understand you pay them as normal and tell the government afterwards.

But like you I am just assuming and guessing - no clarity yet.

The 2nd point is particular interesting what can a furloughed client do? Not work full time obviously but what happens if a client calls them are they allowed to chat? And as you say can they do research and training just to feel part of, and to keep busy and sane?
Old 24-03-2020, 11:33 AM
Semper Idem

Quote:
So I assume you just tell them they are furloughed. I understand you pay them as normal and tell the government afterwards.

My understanding is that you don't pay them. (Unless you make uo the missing 20%).

That the money comes directly from the government, (once the scheme is in place. They sem to be talking about the end of April).

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 24-03-2020, 11:36 AM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
My understanding is that you don't pay them. (Unless you make uo the missing 20%).

That the money comes directly from the government, (once the scheme is in place. They sem to be talking about the end of April).
My understanding is the payment is made to the employer, not the employee, and is specifically designed to stop companies making redundancies. Furlough your employees rather than make them redundant, on full pay and claim back 80%.
Old 24-03-2020, 11:38 AM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
Just to back that up:

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Quote:
All employers will be able to claim a grant to cover 80% of their employees’ wages, capped at £2,500 per worker per month, under the new Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme. Employers can choose to make up the remaining 20% of their employees’ wages but are not obliged to do so.

The scheme will cover staff who were employed at the end of February, as long as both the following conditions apply:

They are still on their employer’s payroll or were re-employed if their employer had already let them go.
They are not carrying out any work as a result of the Covid-19 crisis (e.g. their employer’s business has been ordered to close).
While the scheme is in place, employees in this position will be deemed to be “furlough workers”. They will remain employed but must not do any work for their employers.

Grants provided through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme will be backdated to 1st March 2020 and will initially be available for three months. The government’s website states that HMRC is “working night and day to get the unprecedented Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme up and running” and that it expects the first grants to be paid “within weeks”.
Old 24-03-2020, 11:43 AM
Lovely

It's unclear how this might relate to company directors.
Old 24-03-2020, 11:49 AM
Semper Idem

Quote:
They are not carrying out any work as a result of the Covid-19 crisis (e.g. their employer’s business has been ordered to close).

This is an interesting one for the travel industry. The businesses have not been ordered to close, but their customers have effectively been ordered, via the FCO, not to use them, which - in revenue terms - amounts to pretty much the same thing. Will be interesting to see how it develops.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 24-03-2020, 11:53 AM
Since '67

ozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietozzieEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

Why?

Postponed rather than relived surely? Which means you'll have to pay either double in 6months, triple in 9months or quadruple in 12 months.... After that forget money bloody exists. As everyone and everything will be broke and society will be a thing of the past.

Interest surely isn't a factor when it's hovering around .25 pct?
Old 24-03-2020, 11:53 AM

Nostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is here
I've just had an email from a customer telling me they've just paid most of their invoice but held some back until I come back to do some extras. This extra work was never quoted for whereas the invoiced work was. I don't like being blackmailed, even if they're waiting to move in.
Old 24-03-2020, 11:54 AM
Lovely

Quote:
This is an interesting one for the travel industry. The businesses have not been ordered to close, but their customers have effectively been ordered, via the FCO, not to use them, which - in revenue terms - amounts to pretty much the same thing. Will be interesting to see how it develops.
I think the critical part is "They are not carrying out any work as a result of the Covid-19 crisis" rather than the example given afterwards. So it would certainly apply to the travel industry.

Again, I think the point is to avoid people being laid off due to loss of business from Covid-19.
Old 24-03-2020, 11:58 AM
Semper Idem

Quote:
Originally Posted by brighton_eagle View Post
I think the critical part is "They are not carrying out any work as a result of the Covid-19 crisis" rather than the example given afterwards. So it would certainly apply to the travel industry.

Again, I think the point is to avoid people being laid off due to loss of business from Covid-19.

I would agree with you, but it's far from certain as yet! ABTA (trade body) in talks with Government this week.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 24-03-2020, 12:00 PM
Up On The Triangle

fang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrils View Post
I've just had an email from a customer telling me they've just paid most of their invoice but held some back until I come back to do some extras. This extra work was never quoted for whereas the invoiced work was. I don't like being blackmailed, even if they're waiting to move in.
I should tell them you will start 'undoing' the work which has been completed , as per the original quote, unless full settlement is received by the end of business today.
Hadron Collider

in-exile has disabled reputation
Quote:

You pay them and the government will start giving cash back by the end of April.. not having to pay this VAT quarter helps this.
Semper Idem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzieEagle View Post
Why?

Postponed rather than relived surely?
Depends on the business you are in.

Relief is available for the retail, hospitality and/or leisure sector.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ